Would You Read Someone's Diary/Personal Journal?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

I would read someone's diary without permission if it belonged to:

• a child (under 18), and I suspected they were getting into trouble.

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • a child, and I had no suspicions of them engaging in anything wrong.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • the friend of my child--it could give me clues to what my own child is doing.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • a significant other, and I suspected them of doing something wrong.

• a significant other, and I had no suspicions of them doing something wrong.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • adult offspring (over 18) who are still living in my household.

• I have other thoughts and examples I would like to explain in my post.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • It is never acceptable to read someone's personal writings without permission.

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters
S

systemdown101

Not only would I look in, but I would also look for blank lines and forge additional sentences into them copying their own writing skills!:eek:

D

djness

Never kept a journal of my own. Always thought that was something on girls did. Either that or I just don't like writing.

I did have a friend of mine once ask me to read her journals because she wanted me to know what was going on in her life and she wasn't that great with spoken words.

I lived with a family and one day the wife read through a workbook of mine I was doing, same workbook as her husband, she knew it was mine though, later accused me of some stuff I was totally blindsided on, and finally after that admitted to having read the thing.

I did read something once I should not have and it put me in an awkward position. So with that in mind, I would say even if it's lying out in the open turned to a page, if you obviously know it's someone personal stuff don't touch it, it's not a doctors office magazine.

A

AdorableNoel

I've got to admit... i've never been big on other's person privacy!! haha, no not in a hypicritical kind of way because i wouldn't care if someone read my journal (it's a journal to God.. so they might be surprised by what they see!) either.. I don't think people should have secrets or hold things back..whatsoever..no excuses- no buts, no ifs. If everyone's secrets (what theyre hiding) was posted on their forhead i bet crime rates and immorality would decrease big time!!

So yes, i would probably read someones "diary" for all of those reasons.. but i'd tell them i read it.. not that me telling them makes it any better haha..

Like Kaitlin i think everything should be open.. it helps relationships!! so true :)

God Bless & i pray that no one is holding anything back!! <3

T

twosparrows

Parents should always know what their kids are doing. My 12 year old daughter accepts this just fine. She compares herself with her peers and sees the difference. More than that she understands it's my job and why. Parents should be just as honest with their kids as they would like their kids to be with them and it starts with Santa Claus.

T

twosparrows

I've got to admit... i've never been big on other's person privacy!! haha, no not in a hypicritical kind of way because i wouldn't care if someone read my journal (it's a journal to God.. so they might be surprised by what they see!) either.. I don't think people should have secrets or hold things back..whatsoever..no excuses- no buts, no ifs. If everyone's secrets (what theyre hiding) was posted on their forhead i bet crime rates and immorality would decrease big time!!

So yes, i would probably read someones "diary" for all of those reasons.. but i'd tell them i read it.. not that me telling them makes it any better haha..

Like Kaitlin i think everything should be open.. it helps relationships!! so true :)

wow! very healthy! I believe if you have to hide it you shouldn't do it, if you have nothing to hide, you're in a good place. God bless you! I hope he will use you as an example to your peers.

N

nan

Yes, if Suicidal / Being Abused. Harming Self or Drugs.

I did read a very small portion of my son's journal when he was in high school...His demeanor drastically changed; very withdrawn, sad, irritable, angry, less time with friends & family, little remarks he'd make...... it just wasn't him to be like that.

I hunted for his journal...started at the last page.... 4-5 pages back...my gut was right. There were comments about feeling like killing himself. Being depressed.
I called the suicidal hotline for their expertise. I was right for reading that "portion" only. Never told him....didn't need to.
Over the next few weeks we had some great talks/conversations sparked by tv shows, books he was reading, games, ..good hugs....atta-boys....and he brought up seeing a counselor.

clarkthompson

Jul 8, 2012
I think the trouble would be in reading someones diary without permission is it breaks trust and if you have trust they might trust you enough to talk to you

Kathleen

Oct 13, 2009
I kept a diary for some time last year.

I kept everything in it. My utmost secrets and my day-to-day meaningless thoughts. My feelings too.
I didn't keep it to be hurtful, to be mean, just to keep track of things. To vent and to have something of my own that I could write in freely, about girly things, or chick-flicks and not having any of my family shut me up.

Being the youngest, and the only girl with 5 big brothers, sometimes there were somethings I didn't feel comfortable about discussing, or wanting to discuss. Or knowing no one else watched a show, or was interested in politics or w/e ..i would write in my diary.

One day, after an argument with my dad about the fact that their was a difference between caramel and toffee...he told me to go get my diary (it got heated - the argument - and branched out) ...i got it down and he made me read it to him.

I felt betrayed, violated even. I got over it. But every-now and then. I think back to reading it to him, and I cringe.
Because when I wrote them things, I knew they were for my eyes only.

I'll never keep a journal or diary again until I've moved out.

And I wouldn't suggest anyone read anybody diary or journal. Trust is betrayed. Sometimes things are written in anger. Sometimes things change. And sometimes, secrets are called secrets for a reason.

-Kath

S

Shaije

Most insightful for a 14yr old, good on you, and you are right, there shouldnt be secrets. Having said that. I would NOT read anyones diary....I might not like what i see. The Bible teaches us that with much knowledge, comes much sorrow.

S

Shaije

Parents should always know what their kids are doing. My 12 year old daughter accepts this just fine. She compares herself with her peers and sees the difference. More than that she understands it's my job and why. Parents should be just as honest with their kids as they would like their kids to be with them and it starts with Santa Claus.

Yes, we should know, but snooping can lead to feelings of betrayal, unwillingness or inability to trust. Privacy is a big thing, especiallty to teens. If my son asked me to read it, i would obliged him. and he has shared texts and letters with me. Search the room, check drawers, look at texts....? YOU BET!!! But i wouldn't want to read something private without the knowledge or consent of that person. My son doesnt hide stuff from me though, he is very open, we always have been so, with each other. BUT, every kid is different. So i am just sharing info.....not preaching/judging.