Would you trust your parents picking your spouse?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Could your parents pick a compatible spouse for you?

  • I would go with their decision anyways

    Votes: 2 5.6%
  • I think they know me well enough

    Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Maybe if I had some say in the matter

    Votes: 15 41.7%
  • My parents have no idea what I look for

    Votes: 18 50.0%

  • Total voters
    36
  • Poll closed .
I wouldn't let them totally pick. My parents know my tastes fairly well but I wouldn't let them arrange my marriage. I would want a say in it. They will have some say in my marriage since whoever I date, I want him to ask my parents first if he could marry me. I think A) it's common courtesy and B) it keeps the peace between you and your parents if you have a good relationship with them. And, my dad asked my mom's parents if he could marry my mom. :)
 
Meggars, I think it was meant in the sense that your husband/wife should become your best friend for your marriage to last.
 
Out of curiosity, I asked my parents if they'd even want to pick out my future spouse. My dad laughed (to be honest it was kind of an out-of-the-blue question) and my mom said, "We'd like to have a say but I don't know if I'd want to pick one out. That's a lot of responsibility on us. Plus, what if you came back to me later and said 'Listen to what the man you put me with did.'"

:p
 
I love my parents but I have to....I mean get to spend the rest of my life with her, so I think it's best if I "choose" the best lady for me.
 
A foundation of friendship is a must ....You know, Hang out, laugh at the stupidity of how smart we think we are,..see a problem and jump hurdles together to find the solution .. Roll sleeves up together to get a job done...laugh at you when you're being entirely to serious with yourself... And other stuff , ... Seriously, you can't just see someone and go .. Hey! Hey you there! Yea you! youre attractive , I'm attractive ..Let's do this thing , why not?? seems like a plan for an epic fail job..If you ask me .. friendships take time, giving trust and keeping trust Takes time... Give it seven days at least (that's how long it took god to
Make the world .... don't you think? I'm kidding of course ...
Friendship ? Major bonus ! That's what I think
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... I would want my parents to like my potential future spouse. But I don't think they would instinctively know who I would get along with. I'm a bit different around my friends, than I am around them. Not in a "I morph into a heathen" kind of way, but I just don't talk about the same things or have the same trains of thought around my parents.
 
Considering how many times my mom has tried to get me to like someone, and how I actually felt about that guy, I say NO WAY! I would never have my parents chose someone for me. Maybe my dad, he's pretty quiet about the whole thing and when he does give me advice its good. As for my mom, yeah no! I love her, but no.
 
Dependz on whom your parents are and what there relationship to you is like and if they even care?


I would certainly listen to advice and opinion of ones true parents and appreciate it if they introduced or adviced.

What a true parent is I can say appreciate there time table, soul, what going on with there humans and etc.

I would not want the advice of my "human" parents in the people they are as such.
His charachter personality thinks cheating is ok and monogomy is not important and seems try want me be gay or bi and im not.He also said some downing things like i dont deserve the best or the good or children or marriage or a true man etc and should be alone always.
She said once she like see me with Julian Assange.ha ha ha...we watching news and she said oooh a man like that i would love if you came home with and married.
Apart from that she never said anything really.
They never seemed to care as people.
as dogs however......... it got pretty bad.......


Anyway, would be nice someone cares you happy and have a real love life and want best for you and want see you laugh, smile, happy and live good life with good spouse and marry and not just have non real relationships.


I would like marry a true man some day perhaps buuuut have some personal things going on that upset me.
I have been stalked and violated by people been criminals etc to me and very very awful i feel have them around me and untill they removed from me i cant be happy.
and perhaps cant meet relationship till they removed either.


I would rather have my son choose husband for me than my parents.
 
I'd ask if the other person was okay with it. Then I'd tell whatsherface to play along up until we could get a divorce and be free from the evil clutches of matrimony!
 
hahahah! uhmm i guess so i sometimes i joke around with parents that they should be the one to pick my spouse. :P
 
This struck me as an interesting topic from a recent thread...Would you trust your parents in picking a spouse for you? Do they know what you like or look for in the opposite sex? Do you think they would come close?
Absolutely not. What my mother wants for me is not at all what I choose to have.
The one time I did allow my mom to play matchmaker she chose a guy that was in school studying to be a minister. After I broke up with him I also had to get a restraining order. So.... she will never have "say" in who I choose to marry. She has the right to give me her view, but it is ultimately up to me.
 
I actually think my dad could do a pretty good job. Both parents are excellent at spotting good character and virtue when they see it, but my dad in particular really understands compatibility. He knows the importance of friendship and "spark", and he's very discerning as to whether or not those things are there. :)
 
well I let my mom look at the men that post here and she. picked u!

Lol! Another one for the awkward moment thread! Or maybe we should start a new thread, dedicated to making Tintin uncomfortable.
laughing_smiley.gif
 
No no no no no and NO! The last guy I dated my parents just loved and my mother would go on about how we would make such cute children and she could see us getting married we were so perfect for each other EYE ROLL So yeah when we broke up he was still best friends with my Dad my mom still loved him and he still comes around the house almost a year later to spend time with him and he drew names with the rest of my family this past christmas. so awkward just shoot me now. :eek:
 
maybe you just need a new man? ;) ;)

jk, but yeah i have a friend who lives here, but her parets are letting her ex live with them currently....awkward
 
Picking a spouse is one of the most complicated tasks ever. To leave the task to someone else even our parents can even complicate things more some times, because parents will try to force you and talk you into marriage. Then comes mothers, do their crying thing about having grand children. I believe, personal view that the choice is strictly personal. I must say there is no problem with setting up a date, but such dates must be left for the two parties to decide the pace of things with no interferance. Lastly in the quest of finding her or him, we must stop day dreaming, their is no perfect human being on earth and you cant get all you are looking for. Instead I will say learn to love who you have found bringing out the best in him or her. The choice is personal God helping us.