"Wrong words" in songs

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
As i started to use the pc, i click on really old bookmarks which i should be deleting now, i know. I still choose to listen to a children's song, then another which was abt Christmas. This got me thinking abt some popular songs and others we grew up with with not so right lyrics. For example, We Three Kings has been with us for some generations, but we know there werent really three kings bringing gifts to Jesus. I wonder if anyone thought to write new words for such song... but it's not easy for me to sing coz the lyrics often speak to me.

Many yrs ago, i worked with an Asian hymnal team, and the editors, one from Australia, was allowed to slightly reword hymns for some reasons. I'm sure i'm allowed to retouch copyrighted materials, but occasionally i change a word or two to suit what i think may be better! In the Christmas song The First Noel, a line goes "on a cold winter night that was so deep." I just change the italicized words and sing a "very cold" night, knowing it wasnt winter Christ was born, but not also know if it was cold or warm then. Pls dont get me wrong. We don't have to alter every song, but did you notice some which we can tweak a bit to make something right, or easier for us to sing? This wasn't meant to be a very serious thread, just something to think abt and have fun with, i hope.

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
This song says "Jonah ended up in the belly of a whale". Was he really swallowed by a whale? I don't think so!

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
Jonah & the Whale

If you don't believe this story, how can you believe the rest of them?
I didn't say I don't believe the story, I just said I don't think it was a whale that swallowed Jonah. The Bible says it was a huge fish / great fish / large sea creature / big fish. No Bible translation uses the word WHALE. Look:

New International Version
Now the LORD provided a huge fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

New Living Translation
Now the LORD had arranged for a great fish to swallow Jonah. And Jonah was inside the fish for three days and three nights.

English Standard Version
And the LORD appointed a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

New American Standard Bible
And the LORD appointed a great fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was in the stomach of the fish three days and three nights.

King James Bible
Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
Now the LORD had appointed a huge fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was in the fish three days and three nights.

International Standard Version
Now the LORD had prepared a large sea creature to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was inside the sea creature for three days and three nights.

NET Bible
The LORD sent a huge fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was in the stomach of the fish three days and three nights.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
The LORD sent a big fish to swallow Jonah. Jonah was inside the fish for three days and three nights.

Jubilee Bible 2000
Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

King James 2000 Bible

American King James Version

American Standard Version
And Jehovah prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah; and Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

Douay-Rheims Bible
Now the Lord prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonas: and Jonas was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

Darby Bible Translation
And Jehovah prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

English Revised Version
And the LORD prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah; and Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

Webster's Bible Translation

World English Bible
Yahweh prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah, and Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

Young's Literal Translation
And Jehovah appointeth a great fish to swallow up Jonah, and Jonah is in the bowels of the fish three days and three nights.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Ah yes, the great fish!. There's a song or two back of my mind, but they aren't coming up front as of now. Isn't there a song that says "Christ was born on Christmas day"? While some of these songs seem fun and catchy, perhaps there lies the "burden" for Sun. school teachers or others who teach (moms!) to choose what really to teach=). Idk but unlike when i was young, i tend to listen to the words more now, and would stop listening or singing when i knew something was really wrong somewhere.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
i tend to listen to the words more now, and would stop listening or singing when i knew something was really wrong somewhere
good habit :)

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Thanks for that, ph.