Xylitol is dangerous for pets- Please be careful!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
www.101christiansocialnetwork.com
Just a heads up for those who may not be aware. I saw xylitol being mentioned a lot on another thread here as an alternative to sugar. A few grams can kill a 65lb dog (approx) so please be mega careful if you have pets.

For the record it is not as calorie free or naturally produced as people might imagine. (I say all this whilst happily acknowledging i found it really useful and still keep some in the cupboard.) It has more calories than stevia and other sweetners and causes more side effects.

On a plus note - It is of course far less fattening than sugar and it hasn’t got a nasty aftertaste which is why I still use it sometimes.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
Just a heads up for those who may not be aware. I saw xylitol being mentioned a lot on another thread here as an alternative to sugar. A few grams can kill a 65lb dog (approx) so please be mega careful if you have pets.

For the record it is not as calorie free or naturally produced as people might imagine. (I say all this whilst happily acknowledging i found it really useful and still keep some in the cupboard.) It has more calories than stevia and other sweetners and causes more side effects.

On a plus note - It is of course far less fattening than sugar and it hasn’t got a nasty aftertaste which is why I still use it sometimes.
I have used it for years , I am type 2 diabetic...
It comes from the Birchwood tree...
Yes it is poison to pets , great reminder for those who cook with it , so easily to give to a dog from something baked...
...xox...

L

lenna

a timely heads up for pet lovers

Feb 28, 2016
there are so many 'natural' sugars/sweeteners available today, such as;
(coconut-beets, unrefined-honey-etc. - (please, always do your 'research'!!!
especially if you have 'sugar' problems...
FYI,
most of the people we know and have known for years, STILL USE (((white-refined-sugar & white refined products))),
even those who are diabetic-HBP))) they just refuse to break their 'addictions', and this brings me to tell you, just ONE STORY:
that a very beloved friend, lost (1 )leg, and then the other (leg), simply because she 'refused' to 'give-up
(((white sugar and white-refined products & sweets)))...
she thought she was a 'Christian', but obviously she was not, for she continually defiled her 'temple'...

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
www.101christiansocialnetwork.com
there are so many 'natural' sugars/sweeteners available today, such as;
(coconut-beets, unrefined-honey-etc. - (please, always do your 'research'!!!
especially if you have 'sugar' problems...
FYI,
most of the people we know and have known for years, STILL USE (((white-refined-sugar & white refined products))),
even those who are diabetic-HBP))) they just refuse to break their 'addictions', and this brings me to tell you, just ONE STORY:
that a very beloved friend, lost (1 )leg, and then the other (leg), simply because she 'refused' to 'give-up
(((white sugar and white-refined products & sweets)))...
she thought she was a 'Christian', but obviously she was not, for she continually defiled her 'temple'...
I appreciate she may have been weak willed or simply unwise, considering her condition...
But in no way did her salvation depend on what she ate, nor was her temple defiled by eating suger (which is a natural product at source -however processed it gets - and is no more processed or unnatural than many alternatives that harm the body in other ways.)

Defiling the temple is a reference specifically to sexual Immorality.
1 COrinthians 6
17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.
18 Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

Also - Food cannot “defile“ The body. In Matthew 15 Jesus makes that very clear.

11)Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man....
16 And Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding?
17 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?
18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
20 These are the things which defile a man:

L

lenna

I appreciate she may have been weak willed or simply unwise, considering her condition...
But in no way did her salvation depend on what she ate, nor was her temple defiled by eating suger (which is a natural product at source -however processed it gets - and is no more processed or unnatural than many alternatives that harm the body in other ways.)

Defiling the temple is a reference specifically to sexual Immorality.
1 COrinthians 6
17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.
18 Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

Also - Food cannot “defile“ The body. In Matthew 15 Jesus makes that very clear.

11)Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man....
16 And Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding?
17 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?
18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
20 These are the things which defile a man:

good call.