Yoga Is A Snare

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Praus

Banned
Dec 21, 2012
2,982
40
0
Stephan (Praus), a disciple of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to all Christians.


I am writing to clarify a few things about the practice of yoga. There is copious amounts of alarmist material on the web regarding yoga, most of it from people who have only read about yoga, and neither practiced it nor traveled to India.


As Christians, we are charged to be sober (1Th 5:6, 1Pe 1:13, and more)--alarmist thinking is the opposite of that. I prefer to remain calm in the Holy Spirit and show you how Satan really leads people away from Jesus Christ.


During my lost years I studied yoga for six years and traveled around India twice so I will tell you nothing outside of my direct experience. I have seen many, many things in India, including exorcisms, that most Indian people don't know exists. Those are stories for another day, this is about one experience in one yoga studio in Los Angeles--one of many things that my Savior Jesus Christ saved me from.


Yoga is not a “new age” practice by any definition of that term. Mircea Eliade describes yoga as possibly 10,000 thousand years old in his seminal and highly readable book “Yoga: Immortality and Freedom”. Postures and meditation are derived from shamanic practices in the time when people still worshiped totem gods and storms--long before written language, agriculture, or systematic theology.


After a long period with binge drinking (I was and remain an alcoholic) I managed to dry out with the help of yoga. I was suffering from severe anxiety and depression which I medicated with alcohol. I wasn't seeking any kind of spiritual power or kundalini (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kundalini) experience, I only wanted peace of mind where I could find it.


It was 2003, I lived in west Los Angeles and yoga was very fashionable then like it is today. It would be fair to call south Santa Monica and Venice Beach the capital of yoga outside of India, there are just so many studios. I ended up at Sivananda Yoga, which was very systematic--not just asana (postures); but also pranayama (breathing exercises), meditation, bhakti yoga (chanting in Sanskrit, musical worship of idols), vedanta (mostly the study of the Bhagavad Gita), jnana yoga (different kind of meditation), and so on. Sivananda is Sanskrit and refers to the Hindu god Shiva, and ananda is “bliss” or “delight”. So the literal translation is “Shiva-bliss”. Everyone at the yoga studio was very welcoming, with no pretension or artificiality, which is rare in west Los Angeles, even at yoga studios.


I had practiced yoga daily for four months before I had my first kundalini experience. I took a 90 minute class every day and practiced another 60 minutes on my own. I had been vegetarian for months and many days at no animal products at all (vegan). My body was primed for kundalini flow.


It was the end of a hard yoga session, the last asana is the savasana (corpse posture), lying on your back. Yoga postures build up lactic acid in the muscles and bloodstream so the savasana is supposed to oxygenate the blood and drive the lactic acid into the into the exhaled breath. It is also very meditative, you count your breath or something like that so that you don't fall asleep.


The yoga teacher was leading us through a guided relaxation starting with our toes, slowly relaxing each body part, ending with the eyes and the jaw. She would repeat slowly in a soothing voice, “relax you calves, relax your calves”, then a moment later “relax you thighs, relax your thighs”, naming each body part twice.


After that exercise my body was in a state of relaxation so that essentially I felt like a block of concrete on the ground--pretty relaxed. I achieved this state often at the end of a yoga session and clearly this is desirable for someone seeking relief from anxiety.


Then she said something none of the other teachers had ever said before: “relax your mind, relax your mind” and that's when happened. My eyes were closed but it felt like a huge eye opening on the top of head, which is called the sahasrara (crown chakra). I couldn't see everything but it was like 160 degree vision in every direction. From my perspective, forward wasn't in front of me, it was out the top of my skull.


I was in a very bright place and I saw a beautiful humanoid shape that was the source of all the light. I was in a state of extreme bliss beyond anything I thought that humans could experience. It felt so good that I tried to concentrate on the light being and the bliss. Concentration, of course, broke the relaxed state of my mind, so the bliss was extreme for about two seconds, better than heroin or cocaine or ecstasy, but slowly dissipated over the next eight or ten seconds.


I was overwhelmed. I rolled over onto my side and formed a tight fetal posture and staring crying. I was quiet and when the lights came on the yoga teacher came over gave me a hug. All I could say was “It was....it was so... it was so...” She told me it's OK.


I shared this story with several friends, mostly yogis. The consensus was that the light being was my own soul and that yoga allowed me to see it. As you would expect, this led me deeper into yoga and further away from my Savior Jesus Christ. I ascribed the bliss not just to yoga, but to Hinduism in general. Ideas that seemed horrifying before, like the Hindu caste system, suddenly made perfect sense to me--they even became desirable. My thinking was cloudy and didn’t get better until the day that Jesus Christ sent the Holy Spirit into my life.


It's only in the past few days, after chatting with a south Indian sister, God bless her, that I understand that the light being was not my own soul--it was Satan. The Holy Spirit used our sister in Christ to lead me to 2 Cor 11:14. Satan appeared an angel of light of indescribable beauty when I was in the kundalini bliss. That's the snare. If you fall into it you may soon find yourself doing yoga on the bank of the Ganges River at sunrise, standing on your head, praying silently to an elephant head god named Ganesha that you can maintain the headstand for five minutes. This lead nowhere else but into the lake of fire.


The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit, be with you all. Amen. (2 Cor 13:14)
 
Thank you for sharing your experience. Its so easy to get lost in the many philosophies and ideas of the world.

Its comforting to know that all we need to as Christians, is simply reach out to God who loves us and gives us peace.
 
Is it possible to use yoga postures to stretch and exercise your body without any of the yoga philosophy? My dear sister in Christ says that it is possible but because they are labeled Yoga, it is flirting with danger. What do you thing?
 
RedTent,
i may give an answer that will i hope give you an answer to light on your questioning.

I think you may have heared of "MEETINGS OF RELAXATION AND CONCENTRATION IN SCHOOLS" this kind of practice is like you ask yoga postures to stretch and exercice your body for little children and totally exempted of yoga philosophy, so it might at first be really trivial and without any risks but when you just look at the order of those exercices:

- improve body awareness ,laterization
- develop self-confidence ( i would say here faith in yourself , so dangerous because not in Jesus ) in relation to the other
- find peace and well-being

when you also see the themes :

- "In every sense" = sense and sense directions
- "Tree" = Rooting, development in the area ...
- "Animals" = Move, relationship to the body, speech ...

The only question i can ask to myself and that we all shall ask to ourselves is :
what is the body for why did God gave it to us ?

my answer being christian is :


because God gave us a kind of container , a jar that is the vehicle of our soul that becomes a tool of sins, brings of to the fact that it's a constent fight between the desires of the flesh and the desires of the spirit .... - Galatians 5.17 -

The fleshs desires opposed to those of the spirit of God, so if we try by some exercices even that seems looking like trivial, we unfortunatly turn to the power and control of it by ourselves not with Jesus -Christ power and control of all our human being and we unfortunatly turn away from His peace and His Rest of mind all is in Jesus and the devils work is to, by anyway of turning things in a trivially way so we can even get lost and lead away from Jesus himself without awareness and the devil is so cunning that he uses the word of Jesus, the bible herself to have a strong effect on us from a very young age, from a hard and stressful working life as adult and so on, to really anchor slowly his possession to chain our soul and mind !

So for me when something that seems trivial with a label of any kind of practice on souls ( when it's in a high level of deepeness practice ) it is really dangerous because like you say it's flirting with danger and i will go further flirting with the devil !
and what means flirting ? where do we get after a flirt ?
the point brings right away in "humain realtionship" to a sexual relation,so thats what our soul ( mind )does with the devil and Jesus repeats and repeats to us, warns us, to not flirt with the devil and his practice because it leads us to the spiritual adultary ! (Jr 5.11-17 , Ez 16.32-35 , Mc 8.38 )
a label is a mark, a sign and we all know what is the mark of the beast so for me when we folllow or practice something with a devils label means we take a mark from the beast kind of.....
my brothers and sisters
my dear brother Redtent i really warn you from those kind of little and trivial practice
our life with jesus is really serious we know that and we can't make compromise !
God bless you shall we all be bless in the name of Jesus
and be 100% to him

Cornerstone7
 
RedTent;bt2601 said:
Is it possible to use yoga postures to stretch and exercise your body without any of the yoga philosophy? My dear sister in Christ says that it is possible but because they are labeled Yoga, it is flirting with danger. What do you thing?

Hi RedTent,

Rachel20 and Cornerstone7 won't be happy with my answer, but I think so, yes.

The Good:

Yoga postures are excellent for your body, if you practice yoga postures for three hours a week almost certainly your body will much better when you're 60, much more mobility--especially from the headstand and forward bend. It likely you could derive the same benefit or more from Pilates which are completely secular.

The Bad & Ugly:

The main purpose of the postures is to make the body strong and flexible, so when the kundalini rises from the base of the spine, then it doesn't kill you. If you're body isn't ready for the kundalini then you're at increased risk of cardiac failure, brain seizures, and a variety of other unpleasant things. The kundalini shouldn't arise by itself just from postures, it will occur in meditation, in combination with postures or not. So, while beneficial, the original reason for the postures has nothing to with exercise as we think of exercise.

I will try to write up a proposed secular program and put it in a blog for comment. It will only be a proposal so that we as Christians can discuss it further, not any kind of recommended yoga program. The first problem is that yoga is Sankskrit for "union" which is the union of your soul with some Hindu god. So I'll have the change the name...
 
yoga is a door that no christian wants to open. christians from india are typically alarmed by two things christians in america do not know. one is the sinfulness of participating in yoga with its demonic consequences. the other is their failure to understand and use the incredible power that they have in Jesus. this power is very apparent in india because of the prevalence and open nature in which demons operate there. they are unafraid of exposure and operate in the open because the masses in india believe they are gods.
 
didymos;bt6950 said:
What if 'the light being' was Christ?
We all appear as light beings when we come to this world there's no other way to get here. Those with knowledge of both universes came in the center of a grouping of light beings numbering at least 6, that way memory is not lost. In Jesus' travels he met up with the 12 who protected him. Please excuse the use of him, I do not mean to offend, spirits are not sexed beings.