yoga

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020
As I recall, Hatha yoga would likely be very good for reducing anxiety.
Possibly removing yourself from that environment that causes your anxiety would too.

Feb 28, 2016
no to yoga -

go natural and make all your moves
with Jesus Christ as your Teacher...

Jul 19, 2020
which yoga reduce anxiety?
Eating certain foods like dark chocolate, chamomile, oranges, etc. helps reduce anxiety and depression. Another excellent way that can be done in the easy comfort of our homes is by practicing yoga. Practicing yoga for anxiety issues has helped a lot of people. There are some special yoga asanas for anxiety that help ease its symptoms and calms down the entire mind and body.

K

Kim82

I see from your profile that you are not a Christian. However I must tell you, trusting in God is what takes away anxiety not yoga. And the only God Christians worship is the God of the Bible, and when we meditate, we think about His words and His goodness.

You joined a Christian forum to ask about yoga? :unsure:

davg

Mar 15, 2021
Yoga is individual, you have to try and find what works for you. I had been trying different courses for two months, watching videos on YouTube, but I hadn't found one that suited me. But I liked the meditations. You have to be calm inside.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
The problem with Yoga for Christians is that their meditation and stretches are related to false Gods. David, in the Psalms speaks of meditation, and doctors today have found it is wonderful for the body. But to empty your mind instead of filling it with the goodness of God can be destructive to the soul. Stretching is very good, yoga uses that fact, but mixing stretching with false gods can perhaps make a limber body that is calm, but make for a lost soul.

There are books on stretching, and learning to meditate as David tells us to do is wonderful, why not follow what is wonderful instead of what can harm?

Feb 28, 2016
Blik,
what an awesome and informative post - you are spreading the Gospel in your post,
TY...

dave_in_KWC

May 21, 2014
KWC, Ontario
The problem with Yoga for Christians is that their meditation and stretches are related to false Gods. David, in the Psalms speaks of meditation, and doctors today have found it is wonderful for the body. But to empty your mind instead of filling it with the goodness of God can be destructive to the soul. Stretching is very good, yoga uses that fact, but mixing stretching with false gods can perhaps make a limber body that is calm, but make for a lost soul.

There are books on stretching, and learning to meditate as David tells us to do is wonderful, why not follow what is wonderful instead of what can harm?
Yes, and I take your points further and say that like other false religions (and their unGodly practices: yoga for example) that permeate into the lives of unwitting Christians, many who think they are following Jesus are actually being double-minded and being led astray by demonic deceptions. Don’t be squeezed into the world’s way of doing things! Renew and wash your mind in the ways and purposes of Jesus! (Romans 12:1 - 2)

Research yoga, Christian! You will realize it is based in a false religion that you don’t want ANY part of!

DavidJo23

Mar 11, 2021
As many studies show yoga causes a great effect on health. This is especially good for older adults, as practicing yoga regularly they can have better overall sleep quality, fewer episodes of disturbed sleep, it will be less day time dysfunction, less use of sleep medications and, finally yoga helps to feel more rested and energetic in the morning. My mother has started to do yoga four times a week since last year, and it has definitely changed her health for the better. Now it takes less time for her to fall asleep, she doesn’t feel exhausted or tired, instead, she feels the energy.

Mar 25, 2020
The way yoga is taught in the east, especially in India is with religion. But how yoga is practiced in the west is good. You take away yogic philosophy, the moves and postures are a set of exercises designed to heal your body and achieve better levels of fitness. Yoga is used to heal sports related injuries and it does promote good health especially in over weight people and the elderly. You are responsible for keeping yourself healthy in your life by exercising. Be it walking, yoga, etc. Don't skip your daily dose of exercise however you feel. It's the same as having a bath, going to the toilet or eating. You do your exercises everyday.

Mar 25, 2020
I'm gonna go ahead and write this. All types of exercises are good. When you take yoga and look at it for what it is, it is a set of different kinds of postures. Now what the yoga teachers do is true to what is written in the comments. They've mixed religion with their art. I look at it as an exercise and say that what Caste Hindus have added to Yoga is completely uncalled for and unnecessary to follow by anyone who learns yoga. If I'm talking about yoga, I do so because I train myself and train others physically for a living. I'm a competitive martial artist and fitness coach. And yoga stretches and postures help tremendously to cope with muscle soreness.

We just stretch and wouldn't know what asana is what or the so called significance of a posture. Except a good yoga practitioner would be able to tell you that a posture helps you with your hips or you neck or something like that. All that other fancy write up about it meaning this or that or some gods is just unnecessary and was written by Casteist people to control human thought through their philosophy. We don't give it a second thought. That's how we train right. So, when you look at it that way, yeah, Yoga is good. Sure, when you are in pain, you're gonna go to a physiotherapist. When you're sick, you go to a doctor. Same way, when you want the best results from your body physically, you exercise. Yoga is a an exercise for those who do all other forms of exercises. It is a complementary exercise. An essential exercise for hard martial artists, body builders, etc. As someone said in the beginning, Hatha yoga is the physical part of yoga where you have thousands of postures. But you're gonna keep working on a select few, maybe 10 or 20 to increase your physical health. The practise goes on for anywhere from 10 minutes a day to an hour or more.

It does complement every sports person who competes and who undergoes rigorous sports training to stretch. Stretching is also recommended for athletes from all walks of life. Be it body building, basketball, Tennis, whatever. You need to stretch. Otherwise you hurt yourself. You warm up. Most of the stretching routines found in the world today come from yoga and Tai Chi. So, unless there are other alternatives, we gotta stick with what methods we know best to recuperate from injuries. Which is what I said in the previous comment. Yoga taught in the US or UK or other western countries or Australia, there are good schools where they take away all the asanas (Names of postures) and even have their own names, english names or terms for postures so that the practitioner can recognise what posture it is. So what I am saying is, you gotta watch out for yoga teachers who're gonna sell you yoga with philosophy. I say don't go for the one with the philosophy. But take the practical one which is practiced for it's health benefits. That's all.

Look no one is forcing anyone. There is no must or have to. Only free will. That's what it all comes down to at the end of the day, Right? I'm sharing this here, so that people keen on exercise and those who work out and look forward to cull knowledge of fitness techniques know that this is what yoga is what yoga does for the body. That there is a physical side to the stretching art. And those who already practice it will know what I am talking about. But those who are getting into it, just know that whether you read it in a Yoga text book or your teacher tells you this, don't buy into the philosophy. It's rubbish. Not all schools dwell in the philosophy. Yoga does promote better health and fitness overall. The advantage is that anyone can practice it. Young and old of all ages and whatever your physical attributes are. So those looking to go for it, please go for it knowing it for what it is. Thanks.

I'd just like to add one thing here. This is unrelated to the topic. I know the person who started this thread is not Christian. I am one however or consider myself one at least. But I don't like the bullying attitude of you all. Some people here in the comments section are total snobs. You can hate me, ban me, whatever. I don't care. Because Christ is nowhere near where there is no love.

dave_in_KWC

May 21, 2014
KWC, Ontario
I'm gonna go ahead and write this. All types of exercises are good. When you take yoga and look at it for what it is, it is a set of different kinds of postures. Now what the yoga teachers do is true to what is written in the comments. They've mixed religion with their art. I look at it as an exercise and say that what Caste Hindus have added to Yoga is completely uncalled for and unnecessary to follow by anyone who learns yoga. If I'm talking about yoga, I do so because I train myself and train others physically for a living. I'm a competitive martial artist and fitness coach. And yoga stretches and postures help tremendously to cope with muscle soreness.

We just stretch and wouldn't know what asana is what or the so called significance of a posture. Except a good yoga practitioner would be able to tell you that a posture helps you with your hips or you neck or something like that. All that other fancy write up about it meaning this or that or some gods is just unnecessary and was written by Casteist people to control human thought through their philosophy. We don't give it a second thought. That's how we train right. So, when you look at it that way, yeah, Yoga is good. Sure, when you are in pain, you're gonna go to a physiotherapist. When you're sick, you go to a doctor. Same way, when you want the best results from your body physically, you exercise. Yoga is a an exercise for those who do all other forms of exercises. It is a complementary exercise. An essential exercise for hard martial artists, body builders, etc. As someone said in the beginning, Hatha yoga is the physical part of yoga where you have thousands of postures. But you're gonna keep working on a select few, maybe 10 or 20 to increase your physical health. The practise goes on for anywhere from 10 minutes a day to an hour or more.

It does complement every sports person who competes and who undergoes rigorous sports training to stretch. Stretching is also recommended for athletes from all walks of life. Be it body building, basketball, Tennis, whatever. You need to stretch. Otherwise you hurt yourself. You warm up. Most of the stretching routines found in the world today come from yoga and Tai Chi. So, unless there are other alternatives, we gotta stick with what methods we know best to recuperate from injuries. Which is what I said in the previous comment. Yoga taught in the US or UK or other western countries or Australia, there are good schools where they take away all the asanas (Names of postures) and even have their own names, english names or terms for postures so that the practitioner can recognise what posture it is. So what I am saying is, you gotta watch out for yoga teachers who're gonna sell you yoga with philosophy. I say don't go for the one with the philosophy. But take the practical one which is practiced for it's health benefits. That's all.

Look no one is forcing anyone. There is no must or have to. Only free will. That's what it all comes down to at the end of the day, Right? I'm sharing this here, so that people keen on exercise and those who work out and look forward to cull knowledge of fitness techniques know that this is what yoga is what yoga does for the body. That there is a physical side to the stretching art. And those who already practice it will know what I am talking about. But those who are getting into it, just know that whether you read it in a Yoga text book or your teacher tells you this, don't buy into the philosophy. It's rubbish. Not all schools dwell in the philosophy. Yoga does promote better health and fitness overall. The advantage is that anyone can practice it. Young and old of all ages and whatever your physical attributes are. So those looking to go for it, please go for it knowing it for what it is. Thanks.

I'd just like to add one thing here. This is unrelated to the topic. I know the person who started this thread is not Christian. I am one however or consider myself one at least. But I don't like the bullying attitude of you all. Some people here in the comments section are total snobs. You can hate me, ban me, whatever. I don't care. Because Christ is nowhere near where there is no love.
Bullying attitude of you ALL? Really?

dave_in_KWC

May 21, 2014
KWC, Ontario
Bullying attitude of you ALL? Really?
You are extremely biased towards Yoga and you’re own testimony includes why. Your statements end with vitriol towards those who are not syncretic in their faith (they do not invite the doctrines of demons into their lives via “near Eastern religious practices“). Your only reason for promoting such ungodly eastern religious practises is that they are the only things out there that work. That is patently untrue. There are many Christians who share a conviction about using ungodly practises in health promotion that would disagree with your stance. Stretching can be done without bowing one’s head wittingly or unwittingly to ungodly forces.