You Should Have More Respect For Your Elders!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

What does it mean to respect an elder?

• Respect any and all people who are older than you.

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Respect the elders of your church.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Respect your parents and grandparents.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
If I may say, though there was some recovery from the depression shortly after WWII, unhappily not all people enjoyed the beginning of the post war boom; my family was one of these.
The seven of us first lived in a tent when I was born. There were times I suffered hunger, and having been born with rickets, this did not help matters. My early days of grammar school I would go to school with torn clothing, and shoes with parts of the soles missing. Praise God, the family began to prosper some after my parents were divorced, and though I did experience some hardships right up until I went into the military, we were much better off.
Since then I have done what was taught by my elders in the family, my Grandparents, uncles and aunts, and, though I cannot say I am wealthy, I have earned a reasonable retirement here in Spain. My own and best advice is from the Word, not to borrow, and not to loan, though gifting is just fine.
What the point is here, is that you cannot assume because a person is born a certain time that person enjoyed all the benefits of that time. I attended schools in the, then, wealthiest public school system in the US, Long Beach, California. The wealth was due to the harbor business (LA Harbor) and the oil revenues. There were also many students from wealthy families, and they were mostly wonderful kids.
The advice I have followed has been from my elders and the Word. I do know this, though on the surface my own retirement looks stable, anything can happen tomorrow.
What alarms me about the generations behind me, the young and young adults is the vacuum regarding being trained in the basics of living and earning a living, also the abject glorification of material living. Of course we all need some material goods to exist, but to live just for material gain is tedious and dangerous.
OK, I am beginning to ramble. Take each person as an individual with an individual past...........love everyone in Christ; He loves everyone...forgive the rant.

Oct 31, 2011
I am REALLY!! older, I'll soon be 88. . My experience is that I am often looked at as sinile based on my age. And frankly, many of my friends did become sinile before they passed away, and others closed their minds to learning anything new. Lots of older people are computer sazzy, for instance, but I personally don't know one who is.

It often makes me feel frustrated that I am not accepted as who I am, but who they think I am. I have learned, though, that I can use age to be lazy. I have a special "I'm just a poor helpless old lady" look I put on. (You aren't really supposed to know that). I am perfectly capable, just lazy.

The advantage of being very elderly and physically not what I was is that I have more "down" time to spend studying. Often, though, what I learn is not accepted, not because of the contents but because of my age. Other times people won't discuss topics with me because they feel they can't be honest about disagreeing with me because of my age. Or instead of discussing they just brush me off as aged so not worthwhile. Age, so often comes into the picture when it shouldn't.

I would like to have respect for a life I have lived watching to learn and grow. I am more grown now that I was at 60 because I filled my time that way.

Oct 22, 2011
i think respect should be there in between every one with our fellow beings and every one in this world even with our selves , elder people they are more experienced in life,whom can direct and help us in many ways , respect doesnt mean that ur under their control , but they can give us directions, wich might make ur life colorful.. ..i do try my best to respcet them ,thats it !

R

RachelBibleStudent

If I may say, though there was some recovery from the depression shortly after WWII, unhappily not all people enjoyed the beginning of the post war boom; my family was one of these.
The seven of us first lived in a tent when I was born. There were times I suffered hunger, and having been born with rickets, this did not help matters. My early days of grammar school I would go to school with torn clothing, and shoes with parts of the soles missing. Praise God, the family began to prosper some after my parents were divorced, and though I did experience some hardships right up until I went into the military, we were much better off.
Since then I have done what was taught by my elders in the family, my Grandparents, uncles and aunts, and, though I cannot say I am wealthy, I have earned a reasonable retirement here in Spain. My own and best advice is from the Word, not to borrow, and not to loan, though gifting is just fine.
What the point is here, is that you cannot assume because a person is born a certain time that person enjoyed all the benefits of that time. I attended schools in the, then, wealthiest public school system in the US, Long Beach, California. The wealth was due to the harbor business (LA Harbor) and the oil revenues. There were also many students from wealthy families, and they were mostly wonderful kids.
The advice I have followed has been from my elders and the Word. I do know this, though on the surface my own retirement looks stable, anything can happen tomorrow.
What alarms me about the generations behind me, the young and young adults is the vacuum regarding being trained in the basics of living and earning a living, also the abject glorification of material living. Of course we all need some material goods to exist, but to live just for material gain is tedious and dangerous.
OK, I am beginning to ramble. Take each person as an individual with an individual past...........love everyone in Christ; He loves everyone...forgive the rant.
i agree with this and that is why i had ended my post with 'not all older people are that way'

A

Abiding

Actually ill take good advise and learn from anyone im greedy that way.
Grandsons taught me more than anyone about whats important.
And i honestly dont make age an issue when it comes to respect.
Although i give older folks much more respect just for the age.

W

weakness

no Elihu is not listed at the end. only Eliphaz and his TWO friends.

I can't understand why no one ever speaks of him. just Job and Eliphaz, Bildad and Zophar.

Job 42
[SUP]9 [/SUP]So Eliphaz the Temanite and Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite went and did as the Lord commanded them; for the Lord had accepted Job

it never states in the Bible that Elihu gets a response from Job or is corrected by God. In fact God uses some of the same phrases that Elihu used to describe Job: a man who multiple "words without knowledge"

I think it shows that like Timothy and Jeremiah it is not age that brings wisdom but God's Holy Spirit.

Yes I have already said we should show respect for our elders.

Allow them to speak their piece but at the same time our youth does not disqualify us from hearing from God and speaking HIS words.

Respect does not mean blind obedience.
The earth swallowed that power of darkness up!!! And Satan went back roaming to and fro. I think in Job38:2 God is talking to Elihu" who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without Knowledge? Then begins speaking to Job. vs.3