Your Bible translation

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Which Bible translation do you use as your main translation?

• NIV

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • NLT

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • ESV

• CSB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KJV

Votes: 25 47.2%
  • NKJV

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • NRSV

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NASB

• Other (please comment)

Votes: 4 7.5%

• Total voters

NayborBear

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
Ok Nayhobear, still don't know what you are trying to draw. I was told to look into of someones post and I didn't intend to be argumentative but consider it as friendly neighborhood discussion. But if you have nothing to offer, then I rest my case.

God bless
I believe the question was "Why did Herod wait until after "easter", to kill Peter?"

Which brought up this whole "Passover/easter" discussion.

In post #205, John146 said this:
"Herod would not have cared about the Jews coming in because they hated Peter and his preaching of Jesus. Herod would have feared of the large Jewish Christian gathering celebrating the resurrection of Christ, our Passover Lamb. If Herod allowed a prisoner to be set free, there may be such an outcry from the Jewish believers to set Peter free. He didn't want to take that chance."

Which sounds like a pretty good argument for the why the word "easter" was inserted. So the reader/s, at that time, would be better able in differentiating the "separation" that had already begun betweenst Passover, and Christ's Church. Which also coincidentally(?) aligns very close to those celebrating the vernal equinox.
Which puts a "very strong" pagan flavor to the word "easter." Which, really leaves a "rotten taste" in many peoples mouths. Mine included.
And, as a "little leaven" leavens the whole loaf?
Your efforts, in my eyes, anyway, have proved Jesus' words concerning leaven, aka "traditions of man." Where people these days, as well, as in several days past, don't even think about the what or why of the "original Passover" in Moses' day. And, in practice? Have rejected the word Passover, in favor of the strongly flavored practices of the vernal equinox.
Much rather thinking that the Resurrection of Jesus from the dead, is as coincidental of occurring during the Jewish Passover, as the celebrating of the vernal equinox is to baal worshippers.
And again, in my eyes anyway? Proves just how true Jude's words are.
Jude (NIV)
4 For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord.
Jude Living Bible (TLB)
4 I say this because some godless teachers have wormed their way in among you, saying that after we become Christians we can do just as we like without fear of God’s punishment. The fate of such people was written long ago, for they have turned against our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.
Jude New Matthew Bible (NMB)
4 For there are certain men who have craftily crept in, who were long ago marked out for such judgment. They are ungodly, and turn the grace of our God into licentiousness, and deny God the only Lord, and our Lord Jesus Christ.
Jude King James Version (KJV)
4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

And, as scandal after scandal, concerning these "acts", have proven over the course of His-Story? This hasn't gotten any better! Only worse, and, gaining strength!

Lord HELP us!

God Bless!

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I think people need to get over it and maybe try using a dictionary.

Its not hard.

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
I believe the question was "Why did Herod wait until after "easter", to kill Peter?"

Which brought up this whole "Passover/easter" discussion.

In post #205, John146 said this:
"Herod would not have cared about the Jews coming in because they hated Peter and his preaching of Jesus. Herod would have feared of the large Jewish Christian gathering celebrating the resurrection of Christ, our Passover Lamb. If Herod allowed a prisoner to be set free, there may be such an outcry from the Jewish believers to set Peter free. He didn't want to take that chance."

Which sounds like a pretty good argument for the why the word "easter" was inserted. So the reader/s, at that time, would be better able in differentiating the "separation" that had already begun betweenst Passover, and Christ's Church. Which also coincidentally(?) aligns very close to those celebrating the vernal equinox.
Which puts a "very strong" pagan flavor to the word "easter." Which, really leaves a "rotten taste" in many peoples mouths. Mine included.
And, as a "little leaven" leavens the whole loaf?
Your efforts, in my eyes, anyway, have proved Jesus' words concerning leaven, aka "traditions of man." Where people these days, as well, as in several days past, don't even think about the what or why of the "original Passover" in Moses' day. And, in practice? Have rejected the word Passover, in favor of the strongly flavored practices of the vernal equinox.
Much rather thinking that the Resurrection of Jesus from the dead, is as coincidental of occurring during the Jewish Passover, as the celebrating of the vernal equinox is to baal worshippers.
And again, in my eyes anyway? Proves just how true Jude's words are.
Jude (NIV)
4 For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord.
Jude Living Bible (TLB)
4 I say this because some godless teachers have wormed their way in among you, saying that after we become Christians we can do just as we like without fear of God’s punishment. The fate of such people was written long ago, for they have turned against our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.
Jude New Matthew Bible (NMB)
4 For there are certain men who have craftily crept in, who were long ago marked out for such judgment. They are ungodly, and turn the grace of our God into licentiousness, and deny God the only Lord, and our Lord Jesus Christ.
Jude King James Version (KJV)
4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

And, as scandal after scandal, concerning these "acts", have proven over the course of His-Story? This hasn't gotten any better! Only worse, and, gaining strength!

Lord HELP us!

God Bless!
Nop, this is all started in post 116 by bilk over the seeming errors of the KJV and Tinkerbell had posted its reputation to which Posthuman had countered yet John 14:6 who is known here to be boldest proponents of the KJV further discussed that. Sure, there are very good reasons why it is being translated that way and not being inserted. I have said a Greek word can be translated in English in various ways and still does not violate the contextual nature meaning translations would not contradict itself, else the Bible is full of errors and is not trustworthy. If you wanted to contribute to a friendly discussion why not give a try to explain- expound the context of Acts 12 or the subject being discussed? And that would be better for me than having a judgmental spirit. Bear with me but I supposed many of your posts have nothing to do with the topic of Passover/ Easter, seems irrelevant to me yet you all have these right only you haven’t disprove the Word of God (KJV)..

God bless

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I have said a Greek word can be translated in English in various ways and still does not violate the contextual nature meaning translations would not contradict itself, else the Bible is full of errors and is not trustworthy.
a translation of the Bible's native languages into some language from the ends of the earth being imperfect doesn't make the Bible full of errors or untrustworthy. i think that's a fundamental fatal flaw of y'all kjv-onl-ist's conversation.

the Bible isn't an English document. it's a Hebrew & Greek document with a small portion of Aramaic. we are blessed to be able to read it in our strange tongue, however darkly through whatever glass we may -- untold numbers of people never had that gift.

the tower of Babel happened. we all live in its after-effects. humanity would be better served to come to grips with that fact than to ignore it.

((IMO))

Fred, i do respect you & John & Tink. you know i disagree. i've not been pursuing this thread any further out of respect and love for y'all, lest i do any more harm to feelings or faith. i hope you understand that even when i forget myself, because i know i can be ((and in past times have been)) every bit as 'raw' and piercingly offensive as any man can - even more so than many others - and so i hope you forgive me when i don't love perfectly :)

it's not such a big deal to me, all this, it's just interesting, and i have a sort of obsessive-compulsiveness about knowledge and researching it.

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
a translation of the Bible's native languages into some language from the ends of the earth being imperfect doesn't make the Bible full of errors or untrustworthy. i think that's a fundamental fatal flaw of y'all kjv-onl-ist's conversation.

the Bible isn't an English document. it's a Hebrew & Greek document with a small portion of Aramaic. we are blessed to be able to read it in our strange tongue, however darkly through whatever glass we may -- untold numbers of people never had that gift.

the tower of Babel happened. we all live in its after-effects. humanity would be better served to come to grips with that fact than to ignore it.

((IMO))

Fred, i do respect you & John & Tink. you know i disagree. i've not been pursuing this thread any further out of respect and love for y'all, lest i do any more harm to feelings or faith. i hope you understand that even when i forget myself, because i know i can be ((and in past times have been)) every bit as 'raw' and piercingly offensive as any man can - even more so than many others - and so i hope you forgive me when i don't love perfectly :)

it's not such a big deal to me, all this, it's just interesting, and i have a sort of obsessive-compulsiveness about knowledge and researching it.
Hi Post, despite differences in the Bible Version we can be brothers in the Lord knowing Christ and his gospel.

God bless you bro!

NayborBear

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
Nop, this is all started in post 116 by bilk over the seeming errors of the KJV and Tinkerbell had posted its reputation to which Posthuman had countered yet John 14:6 who is known here to be boldest proponents of the KJV further discussed that. Sure, there are very good reasons why it is being translated that way and not being inserted. I have said a Greek word can be translated in English in various ways and still does not violate the contextual nature meaning translations would not contradict itself, else the Bible is full of errors and is not trustworthy. If you wanted to contribute to a friendly discussion why not give a try to explain- expound the context of Acts 12 or the subject being discussed? And that would be better for me than having a judgmental spirit. Bear with me but I supposed many of your posts have nothing to do with the topic of Passover/ Easter, seems irrelevant to me yet you all have these right only you haven’t disprove the Word of God (KJV)..

God bless
Matthew 16 King James Version (KJV)
11 How is it that ye do not understand that I spake it not to you concerning bread, that ye should beware of the leaven (traditions of man) of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees?
12 Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine(traditions of man) of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

Acts 5
34 Then stood there up one in the council, a Pharisee, named Gamaliel, a doctor of the law, had in reputation among all the people, and commanded to put the apostles forth a little space;
35 And said unto them, Ye men of Israel, take heed to yourselves what ye intend to do as touching these men.
36 For before these days rose up Theudas, boasting himself to be somebody; to whom a number of men, about four hundred, joined themselves: who was slain; and all, as many as obeyed him, were scattered, and brought to nought.
37 After this man rose up Judas of Galilee in the days of the taxing, and drew away much people after him: he also perished; and all, even as many as obeyed him, were dispersed.
38 And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought:

(hint) If ya only allow the Holy Spirit (Spirit of God) to "guide" you into what it is you want to be guided to? And then go forth, teaching that which you THINK it is what the Spirit of God led you to? And not allow the Holy Spirit/Spirit of God to teach you?
You are more or less stepping into the batter's box with 2 1/2 strikes on ya.

39 But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God.

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
I think people need to get over it and maybe try using a dictionary.

Its not hard.
ROFL
The problem is that only works with modern translations. KJV is 408 years old and there are many words that do not exist or have changed meaning. Here is a file about this I keep.
--------
For example, because of the changes in the English language, a number of words occur in the King James that make zero sense to most people today. These include the following nuggets that you will find scattered here and there:

Almug
Algum
Charashim
Chode
Cracknels
Gat
Habergeon
Hosen
Kab
Ligure
Neesed
Nusings
Ouches
ring-straked
sycamyne
trow
wimples, ….

The King James translators also translated some animal names into animals that in fact we now have pretty good reason for thinking don’t actually exist:

unicorn (Deut. 33:17)
satyr (Isa 13:21);
dragon (Deut 32:33) (for serpent)
cockatrice (Iswa 11:8),
arrowsnake (Gen 49:11, in the margin).

Moreover,, there are phrases that simply don’t make sense any more to modern readers: Phrases that no longer make sense:

ouches of gold (Exod. 28:11);
(ouches in modern English is brooches)
collops of fat (Job 15:25);
naughty figs (Jer 24:2);
ien with (Jer. 3:2);
the ground is chapt (Jer 14:4);
brazen wall” (Jer 15:20);
rentest thy face (Jer. 4:30);
urrain of the cattle (Exod. 9:2);

And there are whole sentences that are confusing at best, virtually indecipherable (or humorous)

And Jacob sod pottage (Gen 25:29)
And Mt. Sinai was altogether on a smoke (Exoc. 19:18)
Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasing (Ps. 5:6)
I trow not (Luke 17:9)
We do you to wit of the grace of God (2 Cor. 8:1)
Ye are not straitened in us, but ye are straitened in your own bowels (2 Cor. 6:12)
He who letteth will let (2 Thes 2:7)
The words of the wise are as goads, and as nails fastened by the masters of assemblies, which are given from one shepherd (Eccles. 12:11)

Other sentences make sense, but would today be considered somewhat problematic – at least for the sacred Scripture. My favorite is the one that refers to one who: “Pisseth against the wall:…. 1 Sam 25:22, 34, I Kings 14:10!
(this phrase is used instead of the word man. NIV uses the word man)

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
ROFL
The problem is that only works with modern translations. KJV is 408 years old and there are many words that do not exist or have changed meaning. Here is a file about this I keep.
--------
For example, because of the changes in the English language, a number of words occur in the King James that make zero sense to most people today. These include the following nuggets that you will find scattered here and there:

Almug
Algum
Charashim
Chode
Cracknels
Gat
Habergeon
Hosen
Kab
Ligure
Neesed
Nusings
Ouches
ring-straked
sycamyne
trow
wimples, ….

The King James translators also translated some animal names into animals that in fact we now have pretty good reason for thinking don’t actually exist:

unicorn (Deut. 33:17)
satyr (Isa 13:21);
dragon (Deut 32:33) (for serpent)
cockatrice (Iswa 11:8),
arrowsnake (Gen 49:11, in the margin).

Moreover,, there are phrases that simply don’t make sense any more to modern readers: Phrases that no longer make sense:

ouches of gold (Exod. 28:11);
(ouches in modern English is brooches)
collops of fat (Job 15:25);
naughty figs (Jer 24:2);
ien with (Jer. 3:2);
the ground is chapt (Jer 14:4);
brazen wall” (Jer 15:20);
rentest thy face (Jer. 4:30);
urrain of the cattle (Exod. 9:2);

And there are whole sentences that are confusing at best, virtually indecipherable (or humorous)

And Jacob sod pottage (Gen 25:29)
And Mt. Sinai was altogether on a smoke (Exoc. 19:18)
Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasing (Ps. 5:6)
I trow not (Luke 17:9)
We do you to wit of the grace of God (2 Cor. 8:1)
Ye are not straitened in us, but ye are straitened in your own bowels (2 Cor. 6:12)
He who letteth will let (2 Thes 2:7)
The words of the wise are as goads, and as nails fastened by the masters of assemblies, which are given from one shepherd (Eccles. 12:11)

Other sentences make sense, but would today be considered somewhat problematic – at least for the sacred Scripture. My favorite is the one that refers to one who: “Pisseth against the wall:…. 1 Sam 25:22, 34, I Kings 14:10!
(this phrase is used instead of the word man. NIV uses the word man)
Use a bible dictionary.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
A lot of bibles actually do come with dictionaries or glossaries at the back for unfamiliar words.
It helps us expand our vocabularies.

When you read the Bible it is like learning a whole new language, so dont be put off by unfamiliar phrases and archaic words. The Bible is very old after all, its ancient.

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
Use a bible dictionary.
What will it say about satyr and unicorn? What will it say about kill? Will it state that in 1611 it meant first degree murder? Get your head out of the sand!!

KJV Thou shalt not kill.
NIV You shall not murder.
Oops
400 years of language changes.

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
A lot of bibles actually do come with dictionaries or glossaries at the back for unfamiliar words.
It helps us expand our vocabularies.

When you read the Bible it is like learning a whole new language, so dont be put off by unfamiliar phrases and archaic words. The Bible is very old after all, its ancient.
We don't read the original language. We read an English translation. Because KJV was translated 408 years ago language changes make it suspect when compared to modern translations like NIV, ESV, and AMPC.

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
If you having problems with finding out the meaning in KJV, use a king james dictionary

Try this one https://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionaries/king-james-dictionary/
My smartphone is my Bible. I have a page of my web browser set to biblegateway.com. There I can select book and chapter. Then I can go between translations. Couldn't understand the German translation. I go mostly with NIV, ESV, AMPC, and KJV. That way I don't need a KJV dictionary. Easily switching between translations allows me to see the modern words for that specific set of verses. AMPC is helpful with the alternative translation of the original language word in parentheses. Good for study but confusing to hear someone reading it out loud.

CS1

May 23, 2012
I have a KJVNKJVNIVNNIVNLTESVAMP1911 oh yes Large print red letter

MDO757

May 20, 2019
I've always used the NIV and NLT, but have started getting into the ESV. I find it hard to settle on one main translation (I know the advice is ususally to have one for devotional and reading, and refer to others). So I'm curious, what do you use and why? Have you changed translation, and why? Please note I'm not interested in a debate about translations, I think they're all good.
I make use of all translations. What one group of scholar won't tell you, the others will. Example: Some bibles use the word "Hell," whereas other translations do not use the word"Hell."

MDO757

May 20, 2019

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
I have a KJVNKJVNIVNNIVNLTESVAMP1911 oh yes Large print red letter
Gee all I have is my smartphone. I use a page of my browser set to biblegateway.com. There I select book and chapter. Then I switch to any translation switching between them seeing the differences in wording.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Its up to you its just a suggestion, I thought you were the one complaining about it.
I also sometimes use BibleHub which has about 20 different translations in english just to see and compare what others say, bu only because other people use different versions I want to know what KJV says. Sometimes other versions completely miss out verses that are in the KJV thats a bit of a concern. You wouldnt know unless you compared them.

I did have a kjv dictionary a friend gave me but dont have anymore because i read all the words lol. I think i put in the library, I also used to have a general Bible dictionary but must have given away, people in prison asked for some. I guess they not allowed smartphones in prison.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I also have smartphone Kjv bible version. So it not like KJV cant keep up with technology, can look up verses really easily.