I'm responding to a relevant comment.Hi throughfaith.
It goes back to what I said in the original OP. Which I can now assume you did not understand the point of what was being said as can be seen in you reply in post number 3. Your obsession is clouding your thinking. Your just arguing for arguing sake. and even worse your argument has no bearing on the meaning of the OP.
When is the adoption according to the bible in Rom 8.23 ? I'm aware of what some theologians/ commentators teach . But the bible says that the adoption is the redemption of the body . I believe the bible on this.all i'm saying is that by missing 'the actual meaning of the OP' you missed the tree's for the forest. But that aside.. I think we can all agree as Christians how great it is to be adopted as sons/daughter into God's family and into his Kingdom now![]()
When is the adoption according to the bible in Rom 8.23 ? I'm aware of what some theologians/ commentators teach . But the bible says that the adoption is the redemption of the body . I believe the bible on this.
We become sons through the new birth not the adoption . The adoption hasn't happened yet . Rom 8.23 . The Lords prayer is a Jewish prayer " our " corporate) prayer .
Isn't it quaint how people have ' adopted ' the western idea of ' Adoption ' and twisted verses to fit this romantic idea about being in the ' family of God ' . Which verse says this stuff . What does the bible actually say ?Are you not already a child of God in his family? If you are then you have already been adopted my friend. We already partake in the blessings in Christ (Already) but we will be fully glorified and enjoy the Jesus and his blessings without sinful desires, tears, hurts and pains (Not Yet).
Already -not yet. We have been saved, we are being saved, and will be saved..
I have no issue with people who use it . its Just a point that Biblically its not the right context.It is true that the Prayer is a shortened version of a prayer the Jews pray(ed). However, that in no way excludes it from being for the Church today.
Isn't it quaint how people have ' adopted ' the western idea of ' Adoption ' and twisted verses to fit this romantic idea about being in the ' family of God ' . Which verse says this stuff . What does the bible actually say ?
Adoption is the future redemption of the body, not conversion. (Rom. 8:23, 15-17; Gal. 4:1-6)
Sinners become sons of God through the new birth, not through adoption. (John 1:12-13)
Your begging the question. The bible says we become sons through the new birth . God is not drafting up legal documents, going through photos and picking us to take home with him , signing legal documents. No we immediately become sons through the new birth. Directly. THE Adoption is all about the redemption of the body . Thats what the bible says .John 1.12 . Rom 8.23 .Hi through,
I'm not sure what you mean by western idea of adoption.. even the Romans adopted son, and they could even ''''inherit'''
Are you saying you ARE NOT an adopted son of God already?
Romans 8:19Hi through,
I'm not sure what you mean by western idea of adoption.. even the Romans adopted son, and they could even ''''inherit'''
Are you saying you ARE NOT an adopted son of God already?
Yes I know what those good ole trusted theologians, who some think can't be wrong , teach .Romans 8:23
The apostle uses the word "firstfruits" in relation to redemption, and he employs "Spirit" in the same general sense as "guarantee" of the Spirit as in Ephesians 1:14. Firstfruits here literally means "a beginning," indicating a start has been made and more will follow.
John W. Ritenbaugh
Our Uniqueness and Time
(excerpt)
The picture Paul paints here ties together several things he has written in Romans 8 so far. He has said that God has given us in the Holy Spirit what he called the "Spirit of adoption" (Romans 8:15). We have already been adopted and have become the full children of God through faith in Christ. So what are we waiting for if the adoption is complete?
Paul has written about a disconnect between our spirits and our bodies: "…although the body is dead because of sin, the Spirit is life because of righteousness" (Romans 8:10). It's true that we are fully God's children right now through faith in Christ, but we have yet to meet our Father in person. We have been freed from the eternal penalty for sin, but our bodies continue to experience the temporary consequence of sin: death. We are dying, and these bodies will die.
So what are we adopted children of God waiting for? We're waiting for our bodies to be redeemed after we die physically and are then resurrected as Christ was. Or as someone put it: Our adoption is complete; we're just waiting for our father to come and pick us up so that we can be with Him.
(here)
What does Romans 8:23 mean? - Online Bible Commentary
the argument seems to be unnecessary since both have relevance
In any normal sense ,when you are waiting for something you don't have it yet . We can pay upfront for a nose job . The doctor can Guarantee that because you have paid it will take place . But until the operation you don't have that new nose yet . Your waiting for it . Rom 8.23 .Romans 8:23
The apostle uses the word "firstfruits" in relation to redemption, and he employs "Spirit" in the same general sense as "guarantee" of the Spirit as in Ephesians 1:14. Firstfruits here literally means "a beginning," indicating a start has been made and more will follow.
John W. Ritenbaugh
Our Uniqueness and Time
(excerpt)
The picture Paul paints here ties together several things he has written in Romans 8 so far. He has said that God has given us in the Holy Spirit what he called the "Spirit of adoption" (Romans 8:15). We have already been adopted and have become the full children of God through faith in Christ. So what are we waiting for if the adoption is complete?
Paul has written about a disconnect between our spirits and our bodies: "…although the body is dead because of sin, the Spirit is life because of righteousness" (Romans 8:10). It's true that we are fully God's children right now through faith in Christ, but we have yet to meet our Father in person. We have been freed from the eternal penalty for sin, but our bodies continue to experience the temporary consequence of sin: death. We are dying, and these bodies will die.
So what are we adopted children of God waiting for? We're waiting for our bodies to be redeemed after we die physically and are then resurrected as Christ was. Or as someone put it: Our adoption is complete; we're just waiting for our father to come and pick us up so that we can be with Him.
(here)
What does Romans 8:23 mean? - Online Bible Commentary
the argument seems to be unnecessary since both have relevance
Scripture please ? your giving me a nice sounding story. Salvation is not a western adoption agency lolHow can you become a son in someone else's family and enjoy all the benefits the new parents give without being adopted by the parents. And yes I know the ordo salutes (and I have denominational ordo salutis) but they all believe they are adopted son/daughters now (well 99% of Christians)
Yes, I'm adopted already as a son... and I agree with the scripture you provided that I am also awaiting that fullness of adoption. Already - not yet.
How can you become a son in someone else's family and enjoy all the benefits the new parents give without being adopted.
Anyhow Throughfaith I think we'll again have to agree to disagree. But I do pray you think it over, and pray over.. and don't let your disdain of reformed theology close your eyes to other points of view. Read what what Christians have said about scripture through the ages.
We all stand on the shoulders of those gone before us.
Have a pleasant evening throughfaith.
Salvation is not a western adoption agency lol
This is how we become a son .How can you become a son in someone else's family and enjoy all the benefits the new parents give without being adopted by the parents. And yes I know the ordo salutes (and I have denominational ordo salutis) but they all believe they are adopted son/daughters now (well 99% of Christians)
Yes, I'm adopted already as a son... and I agree with the scripture you provided that I am also awaiting that fullness of adoption. Already - not yet.
How can you become a son in someone else's family and enjoy all the benefits the new parents give without being adopted.
Anyhow Throughfaith I think we'll again have to agree to disagree. But I do pray you think it over, and pray over.. and don't let your disdain of reformed theology close your eyes to other points of view. Read what what Christians have said about scripture through the ages.
We all stand on the shoulders of those gone before us.
Have a pleasant evening throughfaith.
Don't have a horse in that race.Yes. But it does effect how you understand the verses which have the word adoption in them . Especially ' Predestination verses .
' Predestination ' ? I'm glad I'm predestined to glorification. Most believe they were predestinated to be converted. This is no comfort .Don't have a horse in that race.