Your take on Classical

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
I know a fair few people that don't listen to secular music. Or when someone is trying to spend time in worship it's always cliche christian music. I'm not against stuff like that. I don't like the "sameness" but have been pleasantly surprised with new artists and new creativity there that's solid.

Anyway, what's your take on classical? It's music. There are no words. No way to slip an "our god reigns" in there or "Jesus paid it all"...and I know some that don't listen because they feel like it's secular.

I feel like a lot of classical composers back in the day (think bach) were mindful of the creator and it was sort of a testament/tribute of praise to his majesty.

There are some composers who drew inspiration from "the pit" but these are a small minority.

I will expand a bit if discussion occurs. I'm sort of on the fence about it myself. I go on a musical journey when I listen to late night classical. NOTHING paints vivid pictures in my mind like that. There will occasionally be a mainstream (or semi-mainstream) song I can "breathe" to but it's rare.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
I don't see anything wrong with classical music.

I think we really just worry too much about things.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I feel like a lot of classical composers back in the day (think bach) were mindful of the creator and it was sort of a testament/tribute of praise to his majesty.
Bach is sometimes called 'the father of Christian music' -- he was without a shadow of a doubt, mindfully composing music as a form of worship and for the purpose of worship, and believed God was present with every 'reverent performance'

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hi @Mii, I listen to classical music all the time :) I see nothing wrong with any of it that lacks words (although some of the titles might be a bit questionable for some, like "Dream of a Witches' Sabbath" from Symphony Fantastique (but WOW, what a great and interesting piece of music it is .. and no words, so..........................)

I think nearly all of the music from the Baroque, Classical and Romantic periods fits well with Paul's admonition to us in Philippians.

Philippians 4
8 Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.

There is some of the music that has words the words as well, for instance (from the Baroque period) The Messiah by Handel, and The Resurrection by Mahler. (The Mahler 2nd Symphony/The Resurrection is my favorite piece of music. I tried to post it towards the end where the chorus and soloists start to do their thing, but the entire symphony is worth listening to (y)(y))

Also, I included that Hallelujah Chorus only at The Messiah link above, but that entire piece of music is truly worth listening to as well.

~Deut
p.s. - then there are little gems like this one too:

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I agree with Maxwell. There are more important things to focus on than whether instrumental music is bad or not.
If it doesn't have any negative impacts on you then what's the problem?

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Here's the last 10 minutes of the Mahler 2nd again. It's performed at the Royal Albert Hall, but it's being played by an orchestra from Venezuela. I think this may be the first professional symphony orchestra that I've seen that doesn't have a player or conductor with a single gray hair :)

During the somewhat bombastic ending you will also hear a familiar commercial musical theme (if you live in the States). It's the GE (General Electric) theme that they called, "We bring good things to life".

The composer, Gustav Mahler, was a German Jew, so his calling his 2nd symphony, The Resurrection, is especially interesting!

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Anyway, what's your take on classical? It's music. There are no words. No way to slip an "our god reigns" in there or "Jesus paid it all"...and I know some that don't listen because they feel like it's secular.
when i listen to the wind in the trees or across the fields, the ocean breaking on the shore, the falling rain or snow - or the birds, the frogs and the chorus of insects -- none of these are singing in human language either. but this is all music too. and it is a song of the glory of the Creator of all these things. owls hooting in the night is not secular.

'music has to have understandable human language expressly stating praiseful statements or it's not worship or it's not good etc'
.. is not a hangup of mine ;)

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
when i listen to the wind in the trees or across the fields, the ocean breaking on the shore, the falling rain or snow - or the birds, the frogs and the chorus of insects -- none of these are singing in human language either. but this is all music too. and it is a song of the glory of the Creator of all these things. owls hooting in the night is not secular.

'music has to have understandable human language expressly stating praiseful statements or it's not worship or it's not good etc'
I dunno...
I pretty much draw the line at the glorious chorus of mosquitoes.
: )

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
I think classical music rocks! Some of it, anyway.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019

Yeah I remember the "bullfrog jam" I was out late at an abandoned house by a lake with a dilapidated dock. Just listening to them...seem to make up a determined chorus of sorts. Most sublime thing to just listen.

Reminds me of Luke 19:40.

C

ChristyParks

I know a fair few people that don't listen to secular music. Or when someone is trying to spend time in worship it's always cliche christian music. I'm not against stuff like that. I don't like the "sameness" but have been pleasantly surprised with new artists and new creativity there that's solid.

There are some composers who drew inspiration from "the pit" but these are a small minority.

I will expand a bit if discussion occurs. I'm sort of on the fence about it myself. I go on a musical journey when I listen to late night classical. NOTHING paints vivid pictures in my mind like that. There will occasionally be a mainstream (or semi-mainstream) song I can "breathe" to but it's rare.
I like classical. Paul Cardall sweet escape is a great song.

JHJ

Sep 26, 2018

I feel like a lot of classical composers back in the day (think bach) were mindful of the creator
I am classically trained. I agree with most of the posts in here. I would submit a lot of Beethoven's music was intended to praise God. Case in point: Heiliger Dankgesang. It means he was thankful to God. It was written when he recovered from illness. And no words, just a string quartet. So yes, classical music can be some of the greatest God inspired music.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Had my First Bach Album.. but no second or third=)). I like to listen, learn or play here and there when materials are available.

Feb 21, 2015
Bach is sometimes called 'the father of Christian music' -- he was without a shadow of a doubt, mindfully composing music as a form of worship and for the purpose of worship, and believed God was present with every 'reverent performance'

I Love it!!! Good music soothing the soul for meditation of Our Lord and Savior-Jesus Christ!