Capital Punishment

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 4, 2013
An eye for and eye, limb for limb, tooth for tooth, life for life. God is a God of equity, and is no respecter of persons. I know... somebody is going to say "that's not what Jesus taught, but I have an answer. It's a cheek of equity, and a matter of keeping another persons bed all night. Jesus didn't change the law, or capital punishment.

T

TyC113

<br>[video=youtube;Y7yNuSqTzxs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7yNuSqTzxs[/video]

Wow,I never expected to get the type of results and responses that I have gotten on this. I was just wondering about this. In the past, I was a major anti death-penalty advocate just because of "Thou shalt not kill". But I believe every Christian should be for a spiritual death penalty. Die to yourself. Losing the selfishness.That's what I stand for now. I still don't believe in the death penalty. Maybe I'm not the most knowledgeable, but I will always be a believer in the power of transformation. I also believe in Hebrews 13:3 "Remember those in prison, as if you were there yourself".That's why I still say no.

I have been greatly inspired by a testimony of God's grace, though, to a death row inmate. It was in 1998. She had killed 2 people in a gruesome way 15 years earlier, but if you look into her past, it was literally nothing but painful. She did marijuana at 8, heroin at 10,and was in prostitution at 14. She had a troubled childhood. It's not an excuse to kill people, but it is rough circumstances still. She ends up on death row, and God saved her. It was wonderful to see her. It just touched my heart to see how delighted in the Lord she was.It's beautiful to me.

Even though she is dead, her life is still having an impact. Prison ministries are touching lives on and off death row in Texas because of her mission. I love that. I'd rather put a person in the Lord's arms of salvation than before death's door. Who is going to tell them of God's love without people who have beautiful feet? Right now, my only concern is finding the next her.

John 5:24“I tell you the truth, those who listen to My message and believe in God who sent Me have eternal life. They will never be condemned for their sins, but they have already passed from death into life.

M

Mammachickadee

Capitol punishment, like corporal punishment, will always be a controversial topic... especially in America. Do we deliver physical consequences for someone's wrongdoing, or do we give them time to "think about it" and "live with the guilt." Even God can reach a point where He sees that one of His own is no longer of any use on the earth and will take His child home. Even the rich man was denied the gift of Lazarus's message to his family concerning repentance. Though the death penalty seems a pawn the law can use to rid this world of the most proud men and women on earth, it is still abused. 15 years sitting on death row, delaying the system by appeal after appeal? That is NOT capitol punishment according to the Bible.

Mar 4, 2013
Wow,I never expected to get the type of results and responses that I have gotten on this. I was just wondering about this. In the past, I was a major anti death-penalty advocate just because of "Thou shalt not kill". But I believe every Christian should be for a spiritual death penalty. Die to yourself. Losing the selfishness.That's what I stand for now. I still don't believe in the death penalty. Maybe I'm not the most knowledgeable, but I will always be a believer in the power of transformation. I also believe in Hebrews 13:3 "Remember those in prison, as if you were there yourself".That's why I still say no.

I have been greatly inspired by a testimony of God's grace, though, to a death row inmate. It was in 1998. She had killed 2 people in a gruesome way 15 years earlier, but if you look into her past, it was literally nothing but painful. She did marijuana at 8, heroin at 10,and was in prostitution at 14. She had a troubled childhood. It's not an excuse to kill people, but it is rough circumstances still. She ends up on death row, and God saved her. It was wonderful to see her. It just touched my heart to see how delighted in the Lord she was.It's beautiful to me.

Even though she is dead, her life is still having an impact. Prison ministries are touching lives on and off death row in Texas because of her mission. I love that. I'd rather put a person in the Lord's arms of salvation than before death's door. Who is going to tell them of God's love without people who have beautiful feet? Right now, my only concern is finding the next her.

John 5:24“I tell you the truth, those who listen to My message and believe in God who sent Me have eternal life. They will never be condemned for their sins, but they have already passed from death into life.

Keep this in mind concerning the death penalty. It's Gods word. May God bless you with the truth. We are in this world, but not of it.

1 Timothy 1:5-11 (KJV)
[SUP]5 [/SUP]Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:
[SUP]6 [/SUP]From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling;
[SUP]7 [/SUP]Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm.
[SUP]8 [/SUP]But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;
[SUP]9 [/SUP]Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
[SUP]10 [/SUP]For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;
[SUP]11 [/SUP]According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.

Jul 25, 2013
What is your stance on death penalty in courts? I know it is a topic of great discussion amongst Christians, with dissent on both sides (pro & against). But I want to know what is your stance on the death penalty? Do you believe Christians should be against or for Capital Punishment in court? Also, have you ever had or known anybody who has experience a murder trial, like being a juror, lawyer, or judge?

Just being curious.
I am totally against capital punishment because Jesus said, "if you have broken the least of these commandments you have broken them all". Therefore everyone must die then because everyone has broken at least one of his commandments.
He said turn the other cheek.
He said love thy neighbor as thy self. You hang me you must not think much of your self aye?!

May 3, 2013
Sometimes I like to be living in the Mosaic era: dead penalty would be in fashion... All, at certain degree deserve that dead penalty (I do deserve it) but now, it´s up to God to cut life.

john832

May 31, 2013
well ancient israel was not only divinely ordained but in principle also divinely directed...i can't say that with any level of confidence for any modern nation...
Paul wrote this of the secular governments...

Rom 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
Rom 13:2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
Rom 13:3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
Rom 13:4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

I think one may safely apply it today.

john832

May 31, 2013
I thought most of y'all were law keepers and now you want to show mercy and grace. The law states that if a man kill a man the law requires his life. Unless he flee to a city of refuge. Can you see the mercy in that. God even said I abhor your sacrifice and feast for I desire mercy.
The cities (there were to be three of them) of refuge were only available to those who had accidently killed someone...

Deu 19:1 When the LORD thy God hath cut off the nations, whose land the LORD thy God giveth thee, and thou succeedest them, and dwellest in their cities, and in their houses;
Deu 19:2 Thou shalt separate three cities for thee in the midst of thy land, which the LORD thy God giveth thee to possess it.
Deu 19:3 Thou shalt prepare thee a way, and divide the coasts of thy land, which the LORD thy God giveth thee to inherit, into three parts, that every slayer may flee thither.
Deu 19:4 And this is the case of the slayer, which shall flee thither, that he may live: Whoso killeth his neighbour ignorantly, whom he hated not in time past;
Deu 19:5 As when a man goeth into the wood with his neighbour to hew wood, and his hand fetcheth a stroke with the axe to cut down the tree, and the head slippeth from the helve, and lighteth upon his neighbour, that he die; he shall flee unto one of those cities, and live:

Notice the circumstances, completely accidental.

Deu 19:6 Lest the avenger of the blood pursue the slayer, while his heart is hot, and overtake him, because the way is long, and slay him; whereas he was not worthy of death, inasmuch as he hated him not in time past.

If the man (or woman) who committed manslaughter left the city, he/she was paid for. The family could kill him/her. God is very serious about the sanctity of life. This is why judgment for abortion is coming upon this nation.

How long? Until the current High Priest died and a new one took office. (it was a lifetime appointment, it could be for a very long time)

john832

May 31, 2013
I would also like to add that, without exception, the murderers I questioned in my career all said that the death penalty was not a deterrent to them.
They lied to you right through their teeth. If you execute them, I will personally guarantee they will never commit murder again.

john832

May 31, 2013
Knowing that they would possibly face the death penalty if caught did not deter them from committing murder, especially since most murders are crimes of passion, nor does it undo the murder they committed.

Also, just because a law is no longer enforced, does not mean that the law is no longer in force. Even among the laws of man there are laws in my country and state alone that are still on the books/in effect, but are simply not enforced.

Even though those who are in Christ Jesus are under grace and not the law, there is this scripture:

Matthew 5: Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets; I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. For verily, I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law till all be fulfilled.
So, are you saying that anecdotal evidence trumps the very Word of God?

john832

May 31, 2013
Lets see David was a man after God's own heart yet he was a murderer. Killed His own man that was one of his finest for the lust of a women. If you do not see the mercy and grace in that then you are blind
Was there a penalty for his actions?

2Sa 12:7 And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man. Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, I anointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul;
2Sa 12:8 And I gave thee thy master's house, and thy master's wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things.
2Sa 12:9 Wherefore hast thou despised the commandment of the LORD, to do evil in his sight? thou hast killed Uriah the Hittite with the sword, and hast taken his wife to be thy wife, and hast slain him with the sword of the children of Ammon.
2Sa 12:10 Now therefore the sword shall never depart from thine house; because thou hast despised me, and hast taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be thy wife.
2Sa 12:11 Thus saith the LORD, Behold, I will raise up evil against thee out of thine own house, and I will take thy wives before thine eyes, and give them unto thy neighbour, and he shall lie with thy wives in the sight of this sun.
2Sa 12:12 For thou didst it secretly: but I will do this thing before all Israel, and before the sun.
2Sa 12:13 And David said unto Nathan, I have sinned against the LORD. And Nathan said unto David, The LORD also hath put away thy sin; thou shalt not die.
2Sa 12:14 Howbeit, because by this deed thou hast given great occasion to the enemies of the LORD to blaspheme, the child also that is born unto thee shall surely die.

Did God (and this was Jesus Christ) just say "Oh well, just carry on about your normal life"? David paid a high price for those sins. The spiritual punishment of death for all eternity was paid by Christ, but David bore the penalties for his actions in his life.

Dec 9, 2011
What is your stance on death penalty in courts? I know it is a topic of great discussion amongst Christians, with dissent on both sides (pro & against). But I want to know what is your stance on the death penalty? Do you believe Christians should be against or for Capital Punishment in court? Also, have you ever had or known anybody who has experience a murder trial, like being a juror, lawyer, or judge?

Just being curious.
I agree with the law of the land ,that if you commit murder there is a consequence for that,but according to the spirit,i think if that person knows that they are forgiven they would be free,and not have a desire to do bad things to people.

C

Cino

I do not believe that Christians should approve the death penalty. God is the only one that has given us life, and God is the only one that can take it away. No man has the right to take another man's life in a death sentence. It is murder. And even though you may not kill him yourself, supporting such a thing is partaking in this sin. A life sentence to lock someone up in jail, YES. But to take his life, NO.