Is the great biblical flood real or not?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
So are we supposed to take scripture literally?

Deuteronomy 33:15 with the choicest gifts of the ancient mountains[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="class: s, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"] and the fruitfulness of the everlasting hills[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Habakkuk 3:6 He stood, and shook the earth; he looked, and made ...[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="class: s, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]... The ancient mountains crumbled and the age-old hills collapsed-- but he marches
on forever. ... The ancient mountains were crumbled. The age-old hills collapsed.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Genesis 49:26 Your father's blessings are greater than the ...[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="class: s, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]Your father's blessings are greater than the blessings of the ancient mountains,
than the bounty of the age-old hills.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Psalm 76:4 You are radiant with light, more majestic than ...[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="class: s, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]... You are the radiant one. You are more majestic than the ancient mountains.
Thou enlightenest wonderfully from the everlasting hills.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Absolutely. Science has proved Genesis to be extremely accurate. Archological digs for example prove events in Genesis actually happened as described. Here is a site showing the 5 miracles of big bang evolution.

http://creation.com/five-atheist-miracles

Here are moremlinks using science to prove the accuracy of the Bible. Science as opposed to the atheistic view of it not being the accurate God given truth of history being recorded.

Evolutionary Dilemma
http://creation.com/evolutionary-dilemma

Desperate Attempts to Discover 'the Elusive Process of Evolution'
http://creation.com/review-altenberg-16

The Four Dimensional Human Genome Defies Naturalistic Explanations (see the Conclusions)
http://creation.com/four-dimensional-genome

Response to anti creationist books
http://creation.com/response-to-ant...eationism-defending-darwin-by-selkirk-burrows

15 ways to refute materialist bigotry
http://creation.com/15-ways-to-refute-materialistic-bigotry

Countering the critics questions and answers
http://creation.com/countering-the-critics-questions-and-answers

Unmasking a long age icon
http://creation.com/unmasking-a-long-age-icon

Canyon Creation
http://creation.com/canyon-creation

Evidence for Creation
<none> | The Institute for Creation Research

A Few Reasons Evolutionary Origin of Life is Impossible
The Institute for Creation Research

An Open Letter to the Scientific Community (Big Bang)
https://web.archive.org/web/20140401081546/http://cosmologystatement.org/is a

101 Evidences of the Young Age of Earth - CMI
http://creation.com/age-of-the-earth

Response to the Atheistic Opposition to 101 Evidences
http://creation.com/atheistic-opposition-response

Evolution Biologically Impossible

Scientific Case Against Evolution - Part 1 and 2 - ICR

Conclusions

The genome is a multi-dimensional operating system for an ultra-complex biological computer, with built-in error correcting and self-modification codes. There are multiple overlapping DNA codes, RNA codes, and structural codes. There are DNA genes and RNA genes. The genome was designed with a large amount of redundancy, on purpose, by a highly-intelligent being who used sound engineering principles during its construction. Despite the redundancy, it displays an amazing degree of compactness as a mere 22,000 or so protein-coding genes combinatorially create several hundred thousand distinct proteins.

I have a challenge for the evolutionist: Explain the origin of the genome! Charles Darwin wrote in the origin of species:

If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ existed, which could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive, slight modifications, my theory would absolutely break down.

I know this quote has been abused (by both sides of the debate) but let’s think about this for a second. The simpler life is, the easier it is to explain in Darwinian terms. On the other hand, the more complex life becomes, the more intractable a problem it causes for evolutionary theory. We have just seen that the genome is the opposite of simple. This should make all Darwinists very uncomfortable.

I claim the genome could not have arisen through known naturalistic processes. The evolutionist who wants to take up this challenge must give us a workable scenario, including the source of informational changes, an account of the amount of mutation necessary, and a description of the selective forces necessary, all within the proper time frame. They will discover that evolution cannot do what they require, even over millions of years.

​As you were saying about no scientific evidence!!

Last edited:

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
Creation Ministries International is a multinational science based Christian organization that uses science to defend Genesis as 100% accurate. The writing style of Genesis is a narrative explaining the creation of the universe and early history of the world.

Are you claimimg God couldn't do creation?

Last edited:

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
The 5 minute rule is absolutely too short especially with the sites issue with SwiftKey keyboard problems that only occur on this site. Fixing the created problems takes longer.

DiscipleDave

Sep 4, 2012
Originally Posted by DiscipleDave

A day is coming when there will be no more oceans or seas, and all that water will return from whence it came.
Hi DD

What about
Job 38:1-11
Chapter 38
The Lord Reveals His Omnipotence to Job
1 Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said:
2 “Who is this who darkens counsel
By words without knowledge?
3 Now prepare yourself like a man;
I will question you, and you shall answer Me.
4 “Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth?
Tell Me, if you have understanding.
5 Who determined its measurements?
Surely you know!
Or who stretched the line upon it?
6 To what were its foundations fastened?
Or who laid its cornerstone,
7 When the morning stars sang together,
And all the sons of God shouted for joy?
8 “Or who shut in the sea with doors,
When it burst forth and issued from the womb;
9 When I made the clouds its garment,
And thick darkness its swaddling band;
10 When I fixed My limit for it,
And set bars and doors;
11 When I said,
This far you may come, but no farther,
And here your proud waves must stop!’

What's your thoughts?
Please excuse my ignorance, i do not know what you are asking? Are you wanting my thoughts on the verses you give in reference to what i quoted above, or are you wanting my thoughts on what the verses you give are saying?

Verse 8 which you have bolded, is a reference to the Flood, even as a woman in labor breaks her water?

Job 38:1-11 is God teaching us, by saying it to Job, that we don't know nothing. God is God, and He knows all.

^i^

††† In His Holy and Precious Name, Jesus Christ †††

DiscipleDave

DiscipleDave

Sep 4, 2012
Yes well sorry Disciple Dave, the no sea part you seemed to take pretty literally, but not the sun and moon part.

I guess you read the sun and moon as like a metaphor for the gods called sun and moon or something like that...
It is hard to understand what you are talking about, if you do not reveal the Scripture that you are referring to. my knowledge of there being no more oceans is not something that i have interpreted or taken literally. That is what God told me is going to happen. As to the Sun and Moon, i have no ideal what verse you are even talking about. What verse in all of Scriptures indicates, refers to, or implies, there is no more Sun and Moon? i have read the entire Bible over 50 times in my life, front to back, and i can't recall ever reading anything about the Sun and Moon being Gone, destroyed, disappears. So then what verses are you talking about, Brother?

DiscipleDave

Sep 4, 2012

A day is coming when there will be no more oceans or seas, and all that water will return from whence it came.
Is that literal or figurative? If it's literal than heaven sounds like a dull place to be.
No more oceans on planet Earth is not THE Heaven.

There are Three Heavens (for us humans on Earth) The first Heaven is our atmosphere. The second Heaven is Space. The third Heaven is wherever the Father and Son are.

On Earth creating a New Heaven and new Earth, is a planet Earth event. No more oceans and seas is a planet Earth event. Planet Earth is NOT the third Heaven. However the planet Earth when it is covered over with Garden of Edens, will be a footstool to the Third Heaven, when the Holy City comes down to Earth.

^i^

DiscipleDave

DiscipleDave

Sep 4, 2012
The seas that won't be are not on the earth. Heaven may be different. Don't worry, there will be rivers of living water!

Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

First Heaven and First Earth, are all here. First Heaven is our atmosphere that we have right now. The first Earth is the Earth that we have right now. This atmosphere is going to be destroyed during the Tribulation Period. This Earth is going to be destroyed during the Tribulation Period. We are going to have a New atmosphere and a New Earth during the Tribulation Period

That the first Heaven is our atmosphere consider the Inspired by God Word of God.

Gen_1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Gen_1:8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.

Gen_1:20 And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. Proof that our atmosphere is Heaven
(the first Heaven to us)

Gen_7:11 In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened. (And it began to RAIN from Heaven, our atmosphere)

Gen_7:23 And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl (BIRDS) of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark. (yet another reference to our atmosphere being called a Heaven)

Gen_8:2 The fountains also of the deep and the windows of heaven were stopped, and the rain from heaven was restrained; (Rain from our atmosphere was restrained)

The New Earth and New Heaven that we are going to get, is a New Earth and New Atmosphere.

The Oceans and Seas that won't be, are indeed on the Earth.

^i^

DiscipleDave

Jan 13, 2018
It is hard to understand what you are talking about, if you do not reveal the Scripture that you are referring to. my knowledge of there being no more oceans is not something that i have interpreted or taken literally. That is what God told me is going to happen. As to the Sun and Moon, i have no ideal what verse you are even talking about. What verse in all of Scriptures indicates, refers to, or implies, there is no more Sun and Moon? i have read the entire Bible over 50 times in my life, front to back, and i can't recall ever reading anything about the Sun and Moon being Gone, destroyed, disappears. So then what verses are you talking about, Brother?
"And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof."

Rev 21:23

And I thought you were referring to Revelation 21:1 about the oceans.

Oh you know God?

DiscipleDave

Sep 4, 2012

"And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof."

Rev 21:23
This is IN the Holy City Jerusalem, not a reference to the Earth.

And I thought you were referring to Revelation 21:1 about the oceans.
Rev 21:1 only confirms what God has already told me will happen.

Don't understand the question. Anyone who has a personal Relationship with Jesus Christ, knows God. If you are talking about my Statement that God told me this or that, He has not spoken to me audibly since 1994.

^i^

DiscipleDave

Jan 13, 2018
This is IN the Holy City Jerusalem, not a reference to the Earth.

Rev 21:1 only confirms what God has already told me will happen.

Don't understand the question. Anyone who has a personal Relationship with Jesus Christ, knows God. If you are talking about my Statement that God told me this or that, He has not spoken to me audibly since 1994.

^i^

DiscipleDave
Why is God going to get rid of the oceans?

Mar 4, 2018
I've wondered about this topic quite a bit and there's many spculations about it. My general thoughts as a Catholic are summed up here pretty good (from catholicexchange.com):

The (Catholic) Church has no dogmatic views one way or another. Huge floods were common in ancient Mesopotamia, so the Noah story could well have a basis in fact (see, for instance, the colossal flood) in antiquity.
Nor is the problem of a “world-destroying” flood so problematic if humanity was confined to a fairly small geographical area.
Bottom line: We don't know enough to make very many confident proclamations about how much of the Noah story is to be taken as “scientific fact,” particularly since the author of Genesis had no interest in writing science.
Mark Shea

Senior Content Editor

Catholic Exchange

Chester

May 23, 2016
I've wondered about this topic quite a bit and there's many spculations about it. My general thoughts as a Catholic are summed up here pretty good (from catholicexchange.com):

The (Catholic) Church has no dogmatic views one way or another. Huge floods were common in ancient Mesopotamia, so the Noah story could well have a basis in fact (see, for instance, the colossal flood) in antiquity.
Nor is the problem of a “world-destroying” flood so problematic if humanity was confined to a fairly small geographical area.
Bottom line: We don't know enough to make very many confident proclamations about how much of the Noah story is to be taken as “scientific fact,” particularly since the author of Genesis had no interest in writing science.
Mark Shea

Senior Content Editor

Catholic Exchange
Your beginning point is wrong! You are beginning with the doctrine of man: what a certain church believes - in this case - Catholic!

It doesn't matter what the Catholic church says or believes about the flood: what matters is that Genesis is part of the inspired Word of God. As such, we take all of it literally and as meaning exactly what it says. Genesis says that in the days of Noah God destroyed the world with a worldwide flood, and so it was!

Mar 4, 2018
As such, we take all of it literally
Shouldn't we take scripture as meaning what the author intended it to mean? Not all scripture is meant to be taken literaly (literalistically). The bible has different genres of writing - there's poetry, apocalyptic, history, and others.

Whether the Noah flood story is to be read like we read a newspaper today or whether the author was not using literal history, it seems the main point is that people broke covenant with God, and God made a new covenant, as well as the saving through water prefigures baptism.

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
Your beginning point is wrong! You are beginning with the doctrine of man: what a certain church believes - in this case - Catholic!

It doesn't matter what the Catholic church says or believes about the flood: what matters is that Genesis is part of the inspired Word of God. As such, we take all of it literally and as meaning exactly what it says. Genesis says that in the days of Noah God destroyed the world with a worldwide flood, and so it was!
There is a multinational science based Christian organization called Christian Ministries International and has the web site creation.com. On it they have files proving the Genesis account as a factual narrative. They use archaeological digs and geological evidence. For the flood proof is in the Grand Canyon and the "little grand canyon created after Mt. St. Hellens blew its top.

Looking into the grand canyon layers can be seen. These layers must have been deposited at one time. The evidence of this is no erosion for any of the layers. The canyon created after the river going by Mt. St. Hellens was dug within a day after the water started overflowing the dam. That canyon whose history is known has similar layers. Thus helping to prove the layers were created at the same time. The world wide flood deposited those layers in the Grand Canyon.

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
There is a multinational science based Christian organization called Christian Ministries International and has the web site creation.com. On it they have files proving the Genesis account as a factual narrative. They use archaeological digs and geological evidence. For the flood proof is in the Grand Canyon and the "little grand canyon created after Mt. St. Hellens blew its top.

Looking into the grand canyon layers can be seen. These layers must have been deposited at one time. The evidence of this is no erosion for any of the layers. The canyon created after the river going by Mt. St. Hellens was dug within a day after the water started overflowing the dam. That canyon whose history is known has similar layers. Thus helping to prove the layers were created at the same time. The world wide flood deposited those layers in the Grand Canyon.
The problem is, that nobody accepts this theory except of few young earth creationist websites...

Its not provable.

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
Shouldn't we take scripture as meaning what the author intended it to mean? Not all scripture is meant to be taken literaly (literalistically). The bible has different genres of writing - there's poetry, apocalyptic, history, and others.

Whether the Noah flood story is to be read like we read a newspaper today or whether the author was not using literal history, it seems the main point is that people broke covenant with God, and God made a new covenant, as well as the saving through water prefigures baptism.
Scholars of Hebrew say that Genesis is a narrative explaining the creation and early history. Hebrew narratives are taken to be factual.

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
The problem is, that nobody accepts this theory except of few young earth creationist websites...

Its not provable.
This from a supposed Christian on a Christian web site.

The alternative is big bang evolution that fails 5 scientific laws.

Five Atheist Miracles
http://creation.com/five-atheist-miracles

Refute them if you can. Explain away.