Paul was not qualified to be an apostle

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

LT

Daniel 9:26-27
And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.
And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease
Notice that the people of the 'prince that shall come' are the ones who destroy the city(Jerusalem) and the sanctuary(Temple).
In 70ad, the Romans destroyed Jerusalem and the Temple. And the 'desolations' deals with how the Temple has not been rebuilt since.

Therefore, the Romans (or a group that will be similar to Rome: like the UN, EU, or some other organization of nations) will make a future 7 year peace treaty, where the sacrificial system will resume.
The man who does this is the Antichrist.

Jesus will defeat him on the Last Day.

*This interpretation is the literal interpretation. There are other possible interpretations, but none are as clearly displayed in the text.*

----------------

The point is that the 3 years Paul spent in the desert are not connected to some secret earthly ministry of Christ, hidden from Scripture.

LovePink

Deactivated upon user request
Dec 13, 2013
Thanks for your response Phil and also for your post LT. I have shared before, I have yet to do any prophecy studying, but I will read what you share.

Phil, as far as the Arabia thing, I have heard both three years and/or 40 days. I think on this. I lean toward three years, but have yet to be confident through study. So, what are your thoughts, is there a division in Acts 9:19 kjv, for a time period after the first sentence? I think about this from time to time and just wondered why you say what you did, you know, why you came to believe three years in Arabia. Interesting.

P

phil112

Thanks for your response Phil and also for your post LT. I have shared before, I have yet to do any prophecy studying, but I will read what you share.

Phil, as far as the Arabia thing, I have heard both three years and/or 40 days. I think on this. I lean toward three years, but have yet to be confident through study. So, what are your thoughts, is there a division in Acts 9:19 kjv, for a time period after the first sentence? I think about this from time to time and just wondered why you say what you did, you know, why you came to believe three years in Arabia. Interesting.
I believe the KJV to be the inspired word of God, for the most part, and that is what it tells us.
My departed dad and I discussed this often. He studied prophecy a lot. When I brought this to his attention he looked at scripture intently and finally agreed. Paul studied under Christ for 3 years, and Christ preached for 3.5 years, so that leaves a half year unaccounted for. Dad and I agreed the most probable explanation was that, that is the time it took Paul to travel to and from Arabia.

LovePink

Dec 13, 2013
I believe the KJV to be the inspired word of God, for the most part, and that is what it tells us.
My departed dad and I discussed this often. He studied prophecy a lot. When I brought this to his attention he looked at scripture intently and finally agreed. Paul studied under Christ for 3 years, and Christ preached for 3.5 years, so that leaves a half year unaccounted for. Dad and I agreed the most probable explanation was that, that is the time it took Paul to travel to and from Arabia.

I have heard it said, Christ ministered to Paul for three years, just as He ministered to those that followed Him beginning from John's baptism, during His earthly ministry which was approximately three years. Also, I have heard, 40 days... just as the risen Lord spent 40 days opening up the Scriptures to the minds of the 12 apostles, He did likewise with Saul. The three years time in Galatians is shown to be after Paul returns to Damascus, which in Acts 9:20+ still refers to him as Saul. So, I continue to just ponder all this. I don't need to be right, I don't need to know and if I cannot see it for sure, I won't force it or try to make a truth for myself from it. There are a few other verses I consider. Well, thanks... gotta go.

LovePink

Dec 13, 2013
In Acts 9:19, 23 the terms "certain days" & "many days were fulfilled" just kind of gives me pause to think. What do you think... and what is the significance of the word "fulfilled" there?! Seems important to take notice of it.

P

phil112

...................... The three years time in Galatians is shown to be after Paul returns to Damascus, which in Acts 9:20+ still refers to him as Saul. ................
The 3 years must have been after he left Jerusalem. Christ's ministry had to be finished and nowhere in the bible does another scenario fit like the one of Paul. Christ said His work was done, because it was. But the gentiles hadn't heard the word yet and Christ's death was about bringing hope of salvation to all men. Christ preached to the Jews, and Paul is the only one in the bible that is said to be the exclusive apostle to the gentiles.
Adam Clarke says about the three years: "These three years may be reckoned either from the departure of Paul from Jerusalem or from his return from Arabia to Damascus."

As for Acts chapter 9, here is the 15th and 16th verses:
But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel: [SUP] [/SUP]For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake.
Paul had yet to be shown what God had for him. That was why he needed the personal tutelage of Christ.

L

LT

The 3 years must have been after he left Jerusalem. Christ's ministry had to be finished and nowhere in the bible does another scenario fit like the one of Paul. Christ said His work was done, because it was. But the gentiles hadn't heard the word yet and Christ's death was about bringing hope of salvation to all men. Christ preached to the Jews, and Paul is the only one in the bible that is said to be the exclusive apostle to the gentiles.
Adam Clarke says about the three years: "These three years may be reckoned either from the departure of Paul from Jerusalem or from his return from Arabia to Damascus."

Paul had yet to be shown what God had for him. That was why he needed the personal tutelage of Christ.
so I'm assuming you fully disagree with the interpretation I gave in post 320 and 321.

P

phil112

so I'm assuming you fully disagree with the interpretation I gave in post 320 and 321.
Pretty much so. Why don't you think about the scenario I have postulated and see if it doesn't make sense. I have studied Paul's authority extensively and firmly believe his gospel came directly from Christ, as Paul and the bible tells us, and since he is the apostle to the gentiles, and he alone, that he is the completion of Christ's inclusion of all people in God's grand plan.

L

LT

Pretty much so. Why don't you think about the scenario I have postulated and see if it doesn't make sense. I have studied Paul's authority extensively and firmly believe his gospel came directly from Christ, as Paul and the bible tells us, and since he is the apostle to the gentiles, and he alone, that he is the completion of Christ's inclusion of all people in God's grand plan.
I totally agree that Paul had revelation from Christ. I just disagree that it was in the form of an earthly ministry.
I speculate that it was in the form of visions, dreams, or even an angelic messenger.
The problem with bringing in the 70th week is that the prophecy fits with what is given in Revelation, for the Antichrist.
Also, the people who destroyed the city of Jerusalem, and the Temple, were not Christians, but Romans. It says in Daniel's prophecy that the 'people of the prince to come' would destroy them.
The 'prince to come' arrives in the 70th week.

K

Kerry

If it were not for Paul we would not have a new testament. The meaning of the cross was given to Paul and from Paul to us. Paul was also a prophet. He showed us the rapture and John continued that message.

L

LT

I also see Peter as having the same inclusive writings that Paul shared. I believe the revelation Paul received was given, by the Holy Spirit, to all the Apostles. Even the Gospels have the Gentile inclusion referenced, by Christ Himself.

K

Kerry

Also Saul who became Paul was educated at the university of Tarsus and then by Gamaliel. we not talking about stupid people but well educated ones. Paul is the greatest of all the disciples and planted the churches in Europe which came to America.

L

LT

If it were not for Paul we would not have a new testament. The meaning of the cross was given to Paul and from Paul to us. Paul was also a prophet. He showed us the rapture and John continued that message.
Luke actually wrote more words in the NT than Paul. Paul has more "books", but less content than Luke.

By content I mean words, not doctrine, or significance.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kerry

Yes but Paul explains the meaning of the cross. Luke mainly is just recording events that happened.

C

cjordan38

This is a truth plainly set forth in Scripture by a few verses. What were the requirements for an apostle of Jesus' earthly ministry (Rm 15:8), according to Scripture, Christ and the Holy Spirit?

So, we should see & understand, God in keeping with His character (Holy, just, righteous & perfect in all His ways), did what when He raised up, converted and separated Saul unto Himself? (Rm 1:1, Gal 1:15)

I want to include a verse, part of the apostle Paul's commission statement, if you will, for consideration in the fact, if something is different- it is not the same.

"For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect." 1 Corinthians 1:17

Let the words on the page say what they mean. This shows distiction, right division, for a purpose God is revealing about a change in His dealings with man in time. Read in a King James Version of the bible, pls, so we are sharing in the same words, Eph 2:11-13.

Let me offer one more verse of distinction, for our conversation, study, profit & learning;

"But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;" Gal 2:7
He that hath not sinned let him cast the first stone...Paul was chosen. ...Is anything to hard for God...God qualified Paul...Hey if thats the case David shouldn't be qualified because he was far worse than Paul....Paul was radical and lived for God

LovePink

Dec 13, 2013
He that hath not sinned let him cast the first stone...Paul was chosen. ...Is anything to hard for God...God qualified Paul...Hey if thats the case David shouldn't be qualified because he was far worse than Paul....Paul was radical and lived for God
Good lord, please people, I was showing a distinction in the ministry of 12 apostles and that of the ministry of reconciliation. There was criteria in the ministry of the Twelve apostles ordination, this is seen in the selection of Matthias. Anyway, by now, if it is not apparent... of course Paul is an apostle chosen & "separated" by God. Given a gospel call for a dispensation, his ministry is about so much more than anyone has posted on the current page from today. His epistles include the doctrine of purposes encompassed in our identity, election & inheritance as the new creature. There is more than one realm or dominion of inheritance and election of predestination.

K

Kerry

Purpose, no not Rick Warren I hope and the Saddle back Church. 40 days of purpose, no, no, no, that is works of the flesh. Rick is in cahoots with the globalist and a one world government

LovePink

Dec 13, 2013
Thanks. So, after my last post to you, I had a thought. Then, tonight after seeing your post, I was reminded of my thought. I just skimmed over a couple places in Scripture, I was going to sleep on it or maybe just let it go, because I don't have a desire to study this out right now. But, I am just going to shoot some crazy from the hip, lol, throw it against the wall... after Arabia & Damascus BEFORE Jerusalem, this is when Galatians places the term "three years", so, could Saul have been caught up to the third heaven then? In 2 Cor, I see he mentions this event after mentioning leaving Damascus. I have never heard anyone talk about this, but then, I have never heard anyone say what you are saying about "Paul completing Christ's ministry" as a prophetic thing of sorts. I am so happy right now, haha. Good night for me.

LovePink

Dec 13, 2013
Purpose, no not Rick Warren I hope and the Saddle back Church. 40 days of purpose, no, no, no, that is works of the flesh. Rick is in cahoots with the globalist and a one world government
Who are you talking to? If me and that I mentioned "purposes", I am talking about the purposes of God. I don't know Rick Warren. I don't look at things like Christian paraphernalia.

P

phil112

Thanks. So, after my last post to you, I had a thought. Then, tonight after seeing your post, I was reminded of my thought. I just skimmed over a couple places in Scripture, I was going to sleep on it or maybe just let it go, because I don't have a desire to study this out right now. But, I am just going to shoot some crazy from the hip, lol, throw it against the wall... after Arabia & Damascus BEFORE Jerusalem, this is when Galatians places the term "three years", so, could Saul have been caught up to the third heaven then? In 2 Cor, I see he mentions this event after mentioning leaving Damascus. I have never heard anyone talk about this, but then, I have never heard anyone say what you are saying about "Paul completing Christ's ministry" as a prophetic thing of sorts. I am so happy right now, haha. Good night for me.
Not sure if we are talking about the same time that Paul left Jerusalem. He did leave that city more than once. As for Paul being "caught up to the third heaven" scholars believe that to have been Paul, indeed. Given Paul's standing and call to service that he had with God, I too believe it to be him. I would put Pauls ministry up there with Elijah and Enoch. Paul's ministry was an extension of Christ's, after all. And certainly there is no one alive in Pauls time that we are aware of that would have had enough "wheelbase", if you will, to get to see the 3rd heaven.