The holiless conundrum

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 17, 2013
I know this question is probably more suited in the family forum. But as I have said above. I played in the minors and know baseball. The ins and outs. My 15 year old that I talked about earlier. I mean at his age his fastball is touching 95. He has a slider that thrown at your ear hole will break down and away from a right handed batter for a strike. His changeup is about 68. He has a north to south curve that is amazing. He has colleges all over him. How should I encourage him he wants to go to bible school. I know that bible school is a good choice. But I am so torn seeing his talent. God could use that talent and God could use him in bible school. What should I do?

PS

Jan 11, 2013
I know this question is probably more suited in the family forum. But as I have said above. I played in the minors and know baseball. The ins and outs. My 15 year old that I talked about earlier. I mean at his age his fastball is touching 95. He has a slider that thrown at your ear hole will break down and away from a right handed batter for a strike. His changeup is about 68. He has a north to south curve that is amazing. He has colleges all over him. How should I encourage him he wants to go to bible school. I know that bible school is a good choice. But I am so torn seeing his talent. God could use that talent and God could use him in bible school. What should I do?
Perhaps there is an opening for him in youth work where he can use both his talents and he would have a qualification from Bible school?

The money wouldn't be as good but he would have lifelong work.

Last edited:

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
You talk to him from the heart, and make certain you make all the points clear you wish him to understand. When you finish, allow him to decide, and absolutely no pressure other than letting him know your preference. If he is not ready at present to succumb totally to our Lord, this is probably the Lord working in his life for the good, but the result may not be noticeable for some time. He must decide, because if you pressure him, and things go awry in any manner, you will be blamed. Allow him to decide, but only after a good talk laying everything on the table. I pray in Jesus Christ's name that all be good for you and your family in the sight of our Father, amen.

G

GreenNnice

Why does your son think he can't be of even greater value to God --than going to Bible school -- by being USING His God-given gifts in pro sports realm, even if he never makes it past the minors? With his age, dad, and, if what you say true about 95mph fastball, that has a major influence on why I think God is calling your son to PLAY BALL for a career. At 15, too, I would be careful of 'curves,,' I would suggest your son learning a 'movement' fastball, or, knuckleball, of which both can be highly effective pitches from his heater :)

The Lord leads, but, keep this subject of your son's talent in heavy prayer but, as JJ just said, ultimately, regardless of what you want your son to.do, earlHispearl, be asking your son to let the Lord lead Him. The Lord leads :)

Feb 17, 2010
Earl, what Bible School did God initiate? All the office-bearers of God is appointed by God... When I come to faith, may I say what I would be when God finish me? James warns and says... Brethren do not all of you be masters(teachers in Gospel), for you know that they go through a greater judgement.

Let me tell you I met people in very strange places that showed me more Jesus, than I saw in pastors that were appointed by Bible-Schools.
When going to a Bible school you have choices of doctrine, when appointed by God you can ONLY teach the one and only True Doctrine...

A person that stands out in any sporting team is the one that does not go with the flow... I saw a druggie gangster turn a whole townshi around when he came to faith... I also saw a disciple of God get lost and die on the life train... It goes both ways my friend...

I would encourage my boy to remember who gave him that talent and how that talent should show the appriciation and HONOR TO THE TALENT GIVER that he received it from. God give and he can take away. God can use that talent to even turn one other player around, God saved one soul with you boy's talent...

I fish with rugged men, but they all show respect to my faith. I do not smoke, not pot and not sigarettes, I do not drink. I do not tell jokes, especially dirty ones. I do not commit adultery on a fishing trip to other cities, and I do not allow those things with the crew that invites me... We will honor God or I stay at home. We will behave and be an example to others. IF stripdance is part of the package we will miss that item... etc.etc.

Me AND MY CREW will NOT participate in ungodly activities. If you want to do it, LEAVE COBUS AT HOME... Then you free to do as you please. But if you invite Cobus along expect these rules and honor them. I will use your phone to phone your wife while you lust after another woman... I WILL DO THIS...

No person is EXPECTED to be evil to participate in sports and other recreational activities... Just as the rest of life... YOU MAKE THE CHOICES... but YOU BEAR THE CONSIQUINCES... IF you honor God and use your talent for His Glory the reward is GOOD things, if you do not honor Him with the talent, the consiquinces would NOT BE GOOD. I gaurentee that... Because God said KNOW ME IN ALL YOUR WAYS AND I WILLgive you the desires of your heart... So even in fishing and baseball HE SHOULD BE KNOWN...

Feb 17, 2013
Thanks greenNice. Right now I can use all the advice I can get. God bless all of you.

Feb 17, 2013
Earl, what Bible School did God initiate? All the office-bearers of God is appointed by God... When I come to faith, may I say what I would be when God finish me? James warns and says... Brethren do not all of you be masters(teachers in Gospel), for you know that they go through a greater judgement.

Let me tell you I met people in very strange places that showed me more Jesus, than I saw in pastors that were appointed by Bible-Schools.
When going to a Bible school you have choices of doctrine, when appointed by God you can ONLY teach the one and only True Doctrine...

A person that stands out in any sporting team is the one that does not go with the flow... I saw a druggie gangster turn a whole townshi around when he came to faith... I also saw a disciple of God get lost and die on the life train... It goes both ways my friend...

I would encourage my boy to remember who gave him that talent and how that talent should show the appriciation and HONOR TO THE TALENT GIVER that he received it from. God give and he can take away. God can use that talent to even turn one other player around, God saved one soul with you boy's talent...

I fish with rugged men, but they all show respect to my faith. I do not smoke, not pot and not sigarettes, I do not drink. I do not tell jokes, especially dirty ones. I do not commit adultery on a fishing trip to other cities, and I do not allow those things with the crew that invites me... We will honor God or I stay at home. We will behave and be an example to others. IF stripdance is part of the package we will miss that item... etc.etc.

Me AND MY CREW will NOT participate in ungodly activities. If you want to do it, LEAVE COBUS AT HOME... Then you free to do as you please. But if you invite Cobus along expect these rules and honor them. I will use your phone to phone your wife while you lust after another woman... I WILL DO THIS...

No person is EXPECTED to be evil to participate in sports and other recreational activities... Just as the rest of life... YOU MAKE THE CHOICES... but YOU BEAR THE CONSIQUINCES... IF you honor God and use your talent for His Glory the reward is GOOD things, if you do not honor Him with the talent, the consiquinces would NOT BE GOOD. I gaurentee that... Because God said KNOW ME IN ALL YOUR WAYS AND I WILLgive you the desires of your heart... So even in fishing and baseball HE SHOULD BE KNOWN...
Thank you Cobus. I will keep praying and talking with my son and I ask that the Lord God almighty have His way.

G

GreenNnice

Thanks greenNice. Right now I can use all the advice I can get. God bless all of you.

Sure, and, earlyHispearl, I have no idea what your son is really thinking, either do you (1 Samuel 16:7), either does anyone but your son and God, and, as cobe just said, whatever your son does he should honor God in so doing things, doing things with maturity, which means following his life after how God sgows Him to go and knowing, like cobe kind of said, too, but , yes, the world of pro sports --especially at minor league farm system levels-- has many, many temptations, smoki.g,, drinki.g,, sexual opportunities, etc. and, your son MUST understand this or pro sports will dextroy Him and, quite likely, his faith . The Lord knows us better than we know ourselves. Your son shoud be praying with God now, for it sounds to me like -,if he doesn't get thrown too much by high school coach or summer league coach--he has opportunity in pro slorts arena to impact so many for Jesus, like many Christian sports men have, like Albert Pujols, Matt Hasselbeck, Orel Hershiser all have done in autobiographies of their faith. :)
Much more difficult to be ye holy as He is holy when in a line of work with riches and temptatios, but dad's following Him, showing his son His foundation (1 Corinthians 3), will have the most building blocks effect of all on the son . '...you follow Me.' John 21:22

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 17, 2013
That is soo true greenice. I went through many temptations in the minors and wouldn't want my son to go through that. But He will go through many tempts as we all have. Fame does have a way of tempt. But i pray that he is strong enough in the lord to keep his integrity. I guess the bottom line is, that I have to leave it up to the Lord and that's hard when it is your son.

Feb 17, 2013
I am so sorry that I have derailed this thread for my own needs. Please forgive me and Y'all can go back to debating okay. Love y'all Earl.

M

MidniteWelder

Nope, no apology necessary Earl, I invited you to share, and I'm glad you did
that's part of what we're all here for isn't it?
Even when there's a discussion, we can all stop and help strengthen one another.
Thats just as important if not moreso than the topic of discussion.
(besides most people were likely sleepin anyway) :cool:

It's possible your son can integrate both of his passions and talents.
For example what about a bible college with a good baseball team.
I noticed you live in GA.
I took the liberty of conducting a quick online search and noticed
Taccoa Falls Bible College as just one prospective choice.
Their baseball team seems to have pretty good stats as well.
http://www.tfc.edu/mens-sports/mens-...hedule-results
Just an example and I'm not promoting them as I know nothing about their facility yet perhaps do a search for yourself and speak with a few colleges in your area to also see if their biblical values line up with your family's.

This would allow your son to fulfill both his dreams while letting God lead where he may go as he matures into a young adult.
I can understand your dilemna of not wanting to push or give him reason to create resentment toward you for later decisions in life.

As others have mentioned, support him and encourage him while guiding him in the direction he should go in the Lord. God has a way of working things out for those who love him.
:)

M

MidniteWelder

My question to you would be this; what exactly did Jesus accomplish on the cross?
There's no one easy answer to this question since Jesus accomplished more than one thing on the cross, so it is like a trick question.
One of which not often talked about is the fact that since death first came through a man, resurrection of the dead also had to first come through a man.
Christ needing to be the firstfruits of resurrection before any others could later be resurrected.

DiscipleDave

Sep 4, 2012
Indeed we should.

This is a strange kind of reverse faith so many have fallen prey to. It sanctions them to just say, "Oops, oh well, God understands that I am only a sinful human," instead of teaching to really know and have faith in God's knowledge and wisdom and his ability to teach it to them so that they compelled by his love can use it for salvation. His works because he taught it to them as what he wants them to do.

They have been told over and over again that it is the truth that sets them free, but they seem not to listen.

What is that truth but God's knowledge and wisdom which Proverbs calls a tree of life and which is able to be seen modeled to us in Jesus?

And what is being set free by truth but salvation?

And he even gives us the helper the remembrancer to recall to our mind that knowledge and help to produce that wisdom which we are supposed to live by.
You are not far from the Kingdom of God, for it is the Holy Ghost who has revealed this to you.

^i^

DiscipleDave

Sep 4, 2012
It is possible, i live it. i do nothing at all to displease my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. i do not knowingly and/or willingly obey satan in anything at all. When i am tempted i immediately read the Bible or go into prayer for Jesus to help me. i stay away from anything that might cause me or tempt me to sin against Him. i have given up my life because He gave up His life for me. i no longer do what i want to do, i do what He wants me to do. i will have plenty of time to do what i want to do when i get to Heaven, but right now, i am His servant, i do as He wants me to do. He leads me not into temptation.

It is Jesus in me, which gives me the Strength and the Power to not sin against Him. i love Him more than the sin. Those who continue to live in sin, love the sin more then Jesus, because if they loved Jesus more then the sin, they would find some way to cease from doing that sin, would they not?

God told me one day, this is what He said word for Word "There is no sin that you do, that you can't cease from" This statement from Him, made me run from God for many years. i was not willing to cease from sinning, i wanted to believe in easy Christianity, where i can continue to live in sins, and still think i am going to Heaven. How is that the narrow and difficult path that leads to Life Everlasting? Its not. The narrow and difficult path is getting sin our of your life, getting rid of that sin that so easily besets you. this is the Struggle, this is why it is extremely hard to walk the narrow path, this is why only a very few will find it. Few as in one in maybe a hundred thousand.

What if Jesus told you to "Go and Sin No More" This generation would not believe Him. If prophets were to live today, and they do, and they teach to Go and Sin No More, see how fast they are mocked and not believed to be a prophet at all, not because they teach things that are contrary to the Word of God, but because they teach things that are contrary to what men teach in the last days, making excuses for their sinning instead of ceasing from them, How will they escape the wrath of God?

^i^

DD if i recall....you claim to be a prophet to whom God has revealed specifically new revelation.
Is it not written in the last day your sons and daughters shall have visions and dreams? Is it not written that one of the gifts of the Holy Ghost is the gift of Prophesies?
If then i have the gift of Prophesy, and have had many dreams of the future, and many visions of the future, and have had conversations with God concerning the prophesies of the Bible, and the understanding of His Word, and have spoken with Angels of God. What does that make me? This generation would say "a liar" because they do not believe prophets exist today, they are deceived and do not know the Truth, nor will they believe the True prophets that teach things of God.
It is written in Rev 21:8, that all liars will burn in the lake of fire and Brimstone, This is True, for all those who continue to lie and do not cease from lying are indeed liars, and will not enter into the Kingdom of Heaven, no matter how much they yell they are Saved by the blood of Jesus. The Word is True and can't be broken. ALL LIARS shall burn in the lake of fire and brimstone, If i lie, then let this fate be mine. But i tell you the Truth, and you believe it not, because the Truth is not in them that do not have the Holy Ghost is them. Who receives the Holy Ghost, According to the Word of God in Acts 5:32, those who obey Him. Strange how many typical Christians claim to have the Holy Ghost, yet they do not obey Him, but continually disobey Him, by knowingly and willingly committing sins which they know full well are against Jesus Christ, yet do them anyway. If i lie, let me burn in Hell for all eternity. Those who can receive the Truth will receive it, those who have not the Truth, will reject it when they even hear it.

i did not ask to be a prophet, he chose me to be His servant from my mothers womb. i believe He chose me, because of my Mom. She was called to be a Nun, and she was going to do it, but she fell in love with my dad, and ran from her calling, she felt so convicted by this, that she prayed to God, that her first born son, she would dedicate to the Lord. She was reading the Bible to me before i was born. Other kids mothers read them Cat and the Hat, and other children's books, me? i was hearing about Noah, and Adam and Eve, and Samson and Delilah, and the Words of Jesus and His miracles. So maybe God chose me because of her. Other then that, i have no clue why He chose me. i am what i am.

^i^

DiscipleDave

Sep 4, 2012
perfect obedience.
clearly you've never read the Law.
The Word of God teaches that if any man does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle his flesh. So it seems to me, the Word of God teaches perfect obedience is possible. Even Jesus told a man and a woman to go and Sin No More. Funny thing for Him to tell them to do if it were not possible to do. Matters of fact the entire Bible teaches us to be perfect, to walk as Jesus walked, to live righteously. Those who do not believe we can, will NEVER attain it will they?

^i^

DiscipleDave

Sep 4, 2012
If you preach, teach anything else you are in error and a false teacher!!!
If anyone teaches things that are contrary to the Word of God, they are a false teacher.

For example if Jesus tells a man and a woman to go and sin no more, then He is teaching that it is possible. people who teach that it is not possible are teaching things contrary to Scriptures.

For example, The Word of God teaches to awake to righteousness and sin not. people who teach that it is not possible to sin not, indeed teach things contrary to the Scriptures.

Jesus taught us to sin no more
the Apostles taught to sin no more, to set aside the sin that so easily besets us, to sin not, The Word of God teaches us over and over again how to sin no more.
leave it to this wicked generation to teach things contrary to the Scripture and still think they are teaching the Truth, they know nothing at all, that is to say anyone who teaches things that are contrary to the Scriptures, know not the Truth at all.

Again, if anyone teaches something that is CONTRARY to the Scriptures, they are a false teacher.

^i^

DiscipleDave

Sep 4, 2012
Is it not written:

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Mark 9:23
Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.

If then the Word of God teaches that ALL things are possible to those who believe. Why does this generation not believe it is possible to live without knowingly and willingly committing sins? Because they don't believe it is possible, they know not the Scriptures which teach All Things are possible when it is Christ who helps you to make it possible.

Jude 24
Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,

Who can help us to not Fall, to not sin against God? Jesus can.

Question: When you are tempted to sin, do you seek for the help of Jesus? Do you pray to Him? When you are tempted to sin, do you immediately go read the Bible? Or do you totally ignore Jesus and just commit the sin anyway, all the while thinking you are right with Jesus?

God told me one time in conversation: "
There is no sin that you do, that you can't cease from"

Remember that the next time you knowingly and willingly commit sin, that you could have not sinned, but you chose to sin anyway, because you love that sin more than you do Jesus. For if you loved Jesus more than the sin, you would not desire to obey His enemy the devil, for your own selfishness. All sin is selfishness.

Tell me, where is Jesus when you choose to sin? When you choose to sin against Him? Where is He then? Is He around? Woe to this generation who believe it is not possible to do what the Word of God teaches.

I John 3:6
Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

Do you know why they do not sin, because they are in Jesus and He in them, He helps them to not obey satan and commit sin, He helps them to be righteous, to be Holy, to be Perfect. He helps them to not stumble, to not fall, He is their Strength, their power against all temptations. But this wicked generation doesn't even seek His power, because they think it is OK to sin, that Jesus paid for their sins, so then they can continue to live in sins, and still be Heaven bound. There will be much weeping and gnashing of teeth, when He comes and they remain, because they are still living in their sins, they have not cease from them. The Word of God is clear what to call those who can't cease from sin:

2 Peter 2:14 Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children:

Woe to this generation indeed for it is written there will be many false prophets in the last days, do you know where they are at? Behind the pulpits teaching, NOT perfection, holiness, righteousness, but teaching things that make it OK to continue to live in sin all the while thinking they are going to Heaven, even though they have not cease from their wickedness, their sinning.

i have told you the Truth, but not i, the entire Word of God teaches this Truth. But this generation would rather believe the teachings of men, and not what the Bible plainly teaches. Woe to this generation indeed.

^i^

DiscipleDave

Sep 4, 2012
i am pleading with all of you, it is NOT OK to knowingly and willingly obey satan and commit sin. If you are knowingly and willingly obeying satan and committing sins, you are not right with God, no matter what you say with your mouth "I'm Saved, I'm under Grace, I'm no longer under the law, I'm washed by His blood"

Know you not who it is that is washed by His Blood?

I John 1:7 But IF we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

When does His Blood cleanse us from ALL SIN? When we walk in the light, as He is in the light. i will tell you the Truth and am not lying. Anyone who knowingly and willingly obeys satan, the devil and commits sin, is not walking in the light, that is the Truth.

I John 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. 10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

There will be much weeping and gnashing of teeth, because this generation will not hear the Truth, they will not believe it.

^i^

C

Christabel

i am pleading with all of you, it is NOT OK to knowingly and willingly obey satan and commit sin. If you are knowingly and willingly obeying satan and committing sins, you are not right with God, no matter what you say with your mouth "I'm Saved, I'm under Grace, I'm no longer under the law, I'm washed by His blood"

^i^
DiscipleDave, I hardly think anyone in here needs this speech. It hardly takes a rocket scientist to figure this out. ;)

DiscipleDave

Sep 4, 2012

DiscipleDave, I hardly think anyone in here needs this speech. It hardly takes a rocket scientist to figure this out. ;)
i hear ya, yet there are billions who believe they are Saved, Righteous, Holy, yet they continue to knowingly and willingly obey satan and commit sins against Jesus Christ. So then it seems to me, they do need to hear that speech, as you call it.

^i^