What Is True Salvation In The Bible?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Walter

Jul 20, 2022
Washington
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Precious friend, isn't the "cart before the horse"? Because, as you posted here:

"I Acknowledged My Sin Unto Thee, And My Iniquity Have I Not Hid:
The Blessedness of Forgiveness"​

Must not this take place, first, before "there can be any love"? Thus:

'Forgiveness of sin' is the "Real" salvation issue. Until God's OPERATION Is
Performed, And The Holy Spirit Indwells the new believer, then, Next Is:
Rom_5:5 "And hope maketh not ashamed; because The Love Of God Is​
Shed Abroad in our hearts By The Holy Ghost Which Is Given Unto us."​

Then, and only then, can the new believer In Christ's Shed BLOOD, and Resurrection,
According To Scriptures, "fulfill all the ( Old works ) law" with God's New Law ( of
'faith' ), which "worketh by Love." (Romans 3:27; Galatians 5:6):

Christ Living In us, To:

Fulfil All Of His Law, In "One Word: Love thy neighbor as thyself!"​
Then this, as well as the next doctrine below, prepares believers for
"rewards ( not 'salvation' ) for good works" At The Bema Judgment Seat, As
God Tells
us, both the "faithful and Unfaithful" members In Christ "shall be saved!"
(1 Corinthians 3:8-15)

@Walter said:
"As we along with others abide by the scriptures rightly divided unto God.

Love, Walter"

Amen, isn't this also, along with loving our neighbor, "Approved" (for
"rewards at Judgment"?):

View attachment 252459
Examples:

Basic Distinctions of prophecy and Mystery (1)
More Distinctions of prophecy and Mystery (2)

Bible Contrasts I
+
Bible Contrasts II

Precious friend(s), please Be Very Richly Edified and Encouraged In The LORD, and
In His Word Of Truth, Rightly Divided!
You said:
]Precious friend, isn't the "cart before the horse"? Because, as you posted here:

We don't think so, according to our belief, we can not change anybody, and thank you for your information.

Love, Walter and Debbie

DJT_47

Oct 20, 2022
Being saved from your sins. ACTS 2:38 tells you how.

Acts 2:38

38Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
Being saved from your sins. ACTS 2:38 tells you how.

Acts 2:38

38Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost

In the previous chapter of Acts, Jesus explained what baptism would occur "not many days hence" on the Day of Pentecost.
It was Not water baptism.
What Baptism was it?

"5For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence. "

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Yes, Salvation is indeed a free gift that cannot be earned or merited. Praise God!

Ephesians 2
[4] But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
[5] Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, ( by grace ye are saved; )
[6] And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
[7] That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. (KJV)

Now, as with any free gift in this life, it can be neglected, lost or stolen. For example, someone could give you a free car, but if you fail to look after it by keeping the doors locked, the thief can come along and steal your free car. You were neglectful with your free gift, and so it is with Salvation. We must grow in the Lord by nurturing our Salvation. A consistent prayer life, fastings, living in the Word of God and walking in His holiness, i.e., commandments, are the ways to do this. These are not the "works" that Paul mentioned in Ephesians. Rather, these spiritual exercises are the works of God in us to develop us, taking us from babes in Christ to maturity in the faith. So, if we fail to grow in the Lord by neglecting these spiritual exercises, we are going to grow cold, discontent and/or lukewarm. The thief (Satan) has now come along and stolen our free gift of Salvation. God bless all!
Works.

DJT_47

Oct 20, 2022
In the previous chapter of Acts, Jesus explained what baptism would occur "not many days hence" on the Day of Pentecost.
It was Not water baptism.
What Baptism was it?

"5For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence. "
Baptism of the holy spirit, the one you're referring to happened as noted in Acts2 on the day of Pentecost and the spirit fell on the apostles as promised to them by Jesus also fulfiling the Joel prophesy per Acts 2 and going back to Luke 24:49 and the words of Jesus to his apostles. That type of baptism was limited in duration and was for a particular purpose and does not occurr today. All persons baptized into Christ today receive the indwelling of the Holy Ghost as per Acts 2:38, not the miraculous manifestation of the Spirit.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Not necessarily. It was "the church at Laodicea" just like any gathering anywhere today. Now there are millions in this world who are all professing Christians, have even been baptized as babies, and do attend a church and have church membership. But they are not all regenerated and having the Holy Spirit within.

Why would Christ call a genuine Christian "naked" and offer that person a "white raiment"? What is this white raiment "clean and white"? What about the man who did not have on a "wedding garment"? What was that wedding garment? These are all the questions which people should be asking. And finally why was Christ standing outside and knocking on the door of each one's heart, if He was already within?
(Rev 3:14) And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
(Rev 3:15) I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
(Rev 3:16) So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
(Rev 3:17) Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
(Rev 3:18) I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
(Rev 3:19) As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
(Rev 3:20) Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
(Rev 3:21) To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
(Rev 3:22) He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

So this type of church is characterised as neither cold, nor hot.. lukewarm.. not that they never had faith to begin with.

God is also asking them to buy of Him gold tried in the fire.. to be spiritually rich. Then in the next verse God is saying those who He loves He rebukes and chastens.

So this is about overcoming for those who God already loves. vs 21 is about the overcoming.. overcoming lukewarm characteristics to be faithful to God.

And again vs 22.. they are a church. Show me scripture of people who join a church in the NT who are not already believers. Judas is the exception rather than the rule.

07-07-07

Jun 13, 2023
The "works' referenced by Paul are the "works" of the Law. Walking in God's holiness and righteousness is not "works".

Galatians 5
[13] For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.
[14] For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
[15] But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.
[16] This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
[17] For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
[18] But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Show me scripture of people who join a church in the NT who are not already believers.
Christ already showed you the spiritual condition of the Laodiceans, but that made no dent in your thinking. Those were all unsaved "professors". So read Revelation 2 and 3 for more false Christians.

NICOLAITANS: But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.
THOSE OF THE SYNAGOGUE OF SATAN: I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.
THOSE WHO HOLD TO THE DOCTRINE OF BALAAM But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.
FOLLOWERS OF JEZEBEL: Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.
THOSE WHO HAVE DEFILED THEIR GARMENTS: Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.
THOSE WHO ARE SPIRITUALLY DEAD: Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Christ already showed you the spiritual condition of the Laodiceans, but that made no dent in your thinking. Those were all unsaved "professors". So read Revelation 2 and 3 for more false Christians.

NICOLAITANS: But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.
THOSE OF THE SYNAGOGUE OF SATAN: I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.
THOSE WHO HOLD TO THE DOCTRINE OF BALAAM But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.
FOLLOWERS OF JEZEBEL: Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.
THOSE WHO HAVE DEFILED THEIR GARMENTS: Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.
THOSE WHO ARE SPIRITUALLY DEAD: Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
Of course.. false christians.. but which of these are members of a NT church? The nicolaitans aren't talked of being a NT church. Those in the synagogue of satan-- nope.. not a NT local church in that. Those who hold to the doctrine of Balaam.. sure.. false christians.. but actually members of their church? Would need to look at that more closely.

Jezebel case-- someone outside their church bringing in destructive heresies.. most likely not of the church itself.

The case of Laodiceans.. the age of christians nowadays can be characterised with the same kind of status as the Loadiceans.

A believer can struggle with sin.. and be characterised with negative sinful status. Ideally, they would get over it.. or away from it through God's strength.. but not all do. Doesn't mean they were never saved to begin with.

The key thing here.. is who is being addressed. If it starts with addressing believers.. then that continues with the context as you would know.

Calling something a NT church.. it starts as an assembly of saved, and baptised believers. Once that distinction is made.. any kind of characteristic can be attributed to that church.. but not that they are unsaved.

Peace.

HeIsHere

May 21, 2022
Of course.. false christians.. but which of these are members of a NT church? The nicolaitans aren't talked of being a NT church. Those in the synagogue of satan-- nope.. not a NT local church in that. Those who hold to the doctrine of Balaam.. sure.. false christians.. but actually members of their church? Would need to look at that more closely.

Jezebel case-- someone outside their church bringing in destructive heresies.. most likely not of the church itself.

The case of Laodiceans.. the age of christians nowadays can be characterised with the same kind of status as the Loadiceans.

A believer can struggle with sin.. and be characterised with negative sinful status. Ideally, they would get over it.. or away from it through God's strength.. but not all do. Doesn't mean they were never saved to begin with.

The key thing here.. is who is being addressed. If it starts with addressing believers.. then that continues with the context as you would know.

Calling something a NT church.. it starts as an assembly of saved, and baptised believers. Once that distinction is made.. any kind of characteristic can be attributed to that church.. but not that they are unsaved.

Peace.

Also, logic dictates Jesus is addressing believers just like the letters in the New Testament.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Also, logic dictates Jesus is addressing believers just like the letters in the New Testament.
No. Jesus was NOT addressing believers exclusively. He was addressing LOCAL CHURCHES which had a mixture of sheep and goats, wheat and tares. And I have already pointed this out in post #49. For some strange reason, people do not wish to recognize that the church at Laodicea was devoid of any true believers. "Cold" would mean outright pagans. "Hot" would mean genuine Christians. "Lukewarm" meant false professors devoid of the Holy Spirit. No wonder Christ would spue them out of His mouth. Do we have such churches today? Certainly.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
No. Jesus was NOT addressing believers exclusively. He was addressing LOCAL CHURCHES which had a mixture of sheep and goats, wheat and tares. And I have already pointed this out in post #49. For some strange reason, people do not wish to recognize that the church at Laodicea was devoid of any true believers. "Cold" would mean outright pagans. "Hot" would mean genuine Christians. "Lukewarm" meant false professors devoid of the Holy Spirit. No wonder Christ would spue them out of His mouth. Do we have such churches today? Certainly.
He is probably addressing the whole of the local congregation which, as you state, would have both believers and nonbelievers. I believe that's why He gave the warning repeatedly for those who have ears let him hear.

CS1

May 23, 2012
6-15-23

What is true Salvation in the Bible? - Search (bing.com)

The Day of Judgment Loving your neighbor is the REAL “SALVATION ISSUE.” Those who know THE LAWS OF GOD, of course, should obey ALL of them – all that God has revealed to them. To fail to do so would be SIN and REBELLION against God! Those who know God’s commandments, and still disobey, and fail to keep them will be judged accordingly! As Christ said, “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the Kingdom of heaven, but he who does the WILL of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not PROPHESIED [PREACHED] in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will 17 declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice LAWLESSNESS’” (Matt.7:21- 23). So in the end, a “salvation issue” would be continual and deliberate DISOBEDIENCE to God, or presumptuous REJECTION of truth, knowingly. It is the sin of being confronted with the truth, understanding it, and then deliberately rejecting it and refusing to repent and change and accept God’s jurisdiction and authority over your life.

It is also known as the “unpardonable sin” (write for our article on this subject). This is not something to take lightly, but nor is it something in which we should attempt to judge others. Only God knows the hearts and minds and inner motives and thoughts of people (Heb.4:12). But as the apostle Paul wrote: “For it is impossible for those who were once ENLIGHTENED, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good Word of God and the powers of the age to come, IF THEY FALL AWAY, to renew them to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame . . . whose end is to be burned” (Heb.6:4-8).

Paul also wrote, “For if we sin WILFULLY after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries. Anyone who has rejected Moses law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?” (Heb.10:26-29). The Bottom Line For all of those being called of God now, who understand His Word, who have been given the knowledge of God, the requirements of salvation are clear. As Peter put it, “REPENT, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit” (Acts 2:38). “REPENT therefore and BE CONVERTED, that your sins may be blotted out” (Acts 3:19).

The keys to eternal life, therefore, are to believe on Christ as the Messiah, and to follow His steps in all ways (I Pet.2:21) – to obey His every Word (I John 2:3-6). To strive to live by and obey “every word of God” (Matt.4:4; Luke 4:4). But the “bottom line” for ALL people, even those who are not called now, is to LOVE your neighbor – for if you don’t do this, then all the rest is nothing but vanity and hypocrisy – empty air and foolishness! You can keep ALL the commandments – the weekly Sabbath, the annual Holy Days, avoid unclean meats, abjure Christmas, Easter, Halloween, and all the other PAGAN holidays; you can wear 18 fringes on your garments (Num.15:37-41; Deut.22:12), you even give your life as a martyr, but unless you have LOVE for your neighbor, it would ALL BE IN VAIN – just a VAIN SHOW – NOTHING BUT VANITY! In truth, Yeshua summed it ALL up when He said, “Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for THIS IS the Law and the Prophets” (Matt.7:12). All the rest, you might say, is “commentary.

Love, Walter and Debbie
You are taking away from the grace of God for the believer who has stumbled and stating they cannot be forgiven as you use Hebrews chapter 10 as the text to support that?

The context of Hebrews 10 is those who return to the Law for justification over the Supremacy of Christ. It is a legalistic interpretation. Knowing not that you condemn your own self? You do not obey every word of God. and those who scream the loudest about the worldly sin of what they see others do most likely battle sins they think God doesn't know about.

HeIsHere

May 21, 2022
Actually "lukewarm" does not mean false professors. Read it in context.
Neither does hot and cold mean what you state.

DJT_47

Oct 20, 2022
The "church" is the body of Christ, so yes, the letters are addressed to those who are the Lord's that make up the body at those local congregations. We have visitors periodically, maybe they did too, but it's clear who the letters were meant for: the body of Christ, his church.

Being hot, cold, lukewarm simply denotes the church's demeanor, how they act, their activities, their fervor or lack thereof for the Lord and the Lord's work to seek and save the lost. We're they Christians only when they met as the congregation putting up a facade, or were the Christians who carried themselves like Christians every day of the week. No different today.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Actually "lukewarm" does not mean false professors. Read it in context. Neither does hot and cold mean what you state.
As I already pointed out Christ does NOT call true Christians "naked" (spiritually). That would be impossible. So if you wish to prove otherwise go ahead.