“I desire mercy, not sacrifice”

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 1, 2021
Jesus told the Pharisees in Matthew 9:13, “Go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.’ For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.”

I’m wondering what He means by that. What does He want the Pharisees to learn? What does He want us to learn?

The context is Matthew 9 is that Jesus is dining at Matthew’s house with tax collectors and sinners. The Pharisees don’t understand why Jesus is in the company of sinners.

The line is originally from Hosea 6:6, but I don’t know the context there. Any insight is appreciated.

Jul 1, 2021
Jesus explains it quite well in the "I came to call the sinners not the righteous"

Jesus was spreading the gospel of the kingdom to the sinners, not there to sin with them as the pharisees thought.

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
Matthew 9:13 , , I desire mercy, and not sacrifice. The line is originally
from Hosea 6:6

Some have actually attempted to annul the entire God-given book of
Leviticus with those passages.

Anyway, it's not that God detests His own requirements; it's just that rituals
alone cannot compensate for impiety, especially a hard, cold, insensitive
heart. God places a much higher value upon benevolence, e.g. charity,
compassion, sympathy, patience, courtesy, care, thoughtfulness, lenience,
tolerance, altruism, hospitality, generosity, tact, geniality, etc.

In other words; God much prefers folks to exemplify a disposition to do good
by their fellow man instead of ignoring his needs and/or tearing him down
and then polishing their halos when they attend Temple services.

For example; many of Jesus' opponents were religious to their fingertips, but
they were insufferably elite and judgmental.
_

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Jesus told the Pharisees in Matthew 9:13, “Go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.’ For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.”

I’m wondering what He means by that. What does He want the Pharisees to learn? What does He want us to learn?

The context is Matthew 9 is that Jesus is dining at Matthew’s house with tax collectors and sinners. The Pharisees don’t understand why Jesus is in the company of sinners.

The line is originally from Hosea 6:6, but I don’t know the context there. Any insight is appreciated.
When Jesus says this, He's criticizing the Pharisees for their strict observance of the letter, and to the ceremonial law, thinking this made them righteous. But there's a whole lot more to the Old Testament than ceremonial law; Hosea and the other prophets make this clear. The Pharisees had their priorities backward. See Matthew 23:23:

"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cumin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness. These you ought to have done, without neglecting the others."

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Simply put, to the ones who believed they were able to remove the guilt of their sin by animal sacrifieces Jesus Yeshua was teaching the wonderful good news that the Father prefers mercy, and the mercy we have received we should always extend to others no matter how wicked they may appear. This by no means intends to say we must approve of their evil, simply we must love them and extend the opportunity of mercy to them freely.

Gardenias

Oct 27, 2020
U.S.A.
PS.51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit,a broken and a contrite heart thou wilt not despise.

Jesus wanted the very righteous by the law Pharisees to understand the worship of the law and the temple were not what he required for he is greater and Lord of all,including the sabbath.

Our motivation and the place it comes from is what gives God pleasure, not those things required or considered duty..

Self righteousness means nothing in his eyes for what he offers cannot be bought,sold nor earned.

Furthermore he didn't come to call those to repentance ( they would see no need for it) but those like the tax collector who saw himself as unworthy but honored for Jesu's call!

Aug 2, 2021
MERCY is receiving from God what we do not deserve.

JUDGMENT is the punishment from God that we do deserve.

What Desire does God derive from Judgment upon man whom He mad in His Own Image???

Hell was not created for man, but for the Devil and his angels - Matthew 25:41
The King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’
“Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:

God Desire is Mercy - That Mercy is His SON - JESUS the CHRIST

"So speak and so do as those who will be judged by the law of liberty. For judgment is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment." James ch2

MERCY triumphed over Judgment when CHRIST rose from the Grave.
His Resurrection is VICTORY for all who believe on Him for Salvation - the forgiveness of our sins - MERCY

Christ is seated at the Right Hand of God - The MERCY SEAT

If you have never done this, or have not done so recently - DO THIS:
Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
Hebrew 4:16

There you will find GOD's MERCY - where CHRIST is Seated on our behalf.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020

Usually when one scripture is quoted it’s referring us to the place it’s quoted from

“Come, and let us return unto the Lord: for he hath torn, and he will heal us; he hath smitten, and he will bind us up.

After two days will he revive us: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight.

Then shall we know, if we follow on to know the Lord: his going forth is prepared as the morning; and he shall come unto us as the rain, as the latter and former rain unto the earth.

O Ephraim, what shall I do unto thee? O Judah, what shall I do unto thee? for your goodness is as a morning cloud, and as the early dew it goeth away.

Therefore have I hewed them by the prophets; I have slain them by the words of my mouth: and thy judgments are as the light that goeth forth.

…For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings. But they like men have transgressed the covenant: there have they dealt treacherously against me. Gilead is a city of them that work iniquity, and is polluted with blood.

I have seen an horrible thing in the house of Israel: there is the whoredom of Ephraim, Israel is defiled.”
‭‭Hosea‬ ‭6:1-8,

Israel was good at observing the list of written ordinances but they were so focused in that part they treated each other with hate and jealousy envy grudge bearing , they refused to help the needy among them they looked at it as they were sinners and cursed by the law .

if a sacrifice a thousand sacrifices it is worth nothing but if I extend the mercy of God that I received to others it is pleasing to God. Evil people can’t please God by following ordinances like sacrificing animals , we have to repent and do good and then whatever gifts we give or sacrifices we make in life for the lord others are always going to be acceptable

treating each other with love and mercy and with truth is Gods Will for mankind.

Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.

Judge not, and ye shall not be judged:

condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned:

forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall be given into your bosom.

For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭6:36-38‬ ‭KJV‬‬

mercy triumphs over judgement

“So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty. For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment.”
‭‭James‬ ‭2:12-13‬ ‭KJV‬‬

but to sin and sacrifice animals for atonement is not Gods way his law of mercy has come his desire for mercy to man and from man to
Man has come for forgiveness the sacrifice was made now it’s about mercy for the merciful

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
The Pharisees were offering sacrifices in order to show their [supposed] righteousness but the sacrifice God requires is from sinners seeking Him in repentance. He will always respond to that sacrifice.

S

SaltwaterGirl

"O Ephraim, what shall I do to you? O Judah, what shall I do to you? For your faithfulness is like a morning cloud, And like the early dew it goes away. Therefore I have hewn them by the prophets, I have slain them by the words of My mouth; And your judgments are like light that goes forth. For I desire mercy and not sacrifice, And the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.

- Hosea 6:4-6 (NKJV)

All God really wants from His children is their LOVE and devotion. He doesn't want their animal sacrifices or their money, etc.

S

SaltwaterGirl

"O Ephraim, what shall I do to you? O Judah, what shall I do to you? For your faithfulness is like a morning cloud, And like the early dew it goes away. Therefore I have hewn them by the prophets, I have slain them by the words of My mouth; And your judgments are like light that goes forth. For I desire mercy and not sacrifice, And the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.

- Hosea 6:4-6 (NKJV)

All God really wants from His children is their LOVE and devotion. He doesn't want their animal sacrifices or their money, etc.[/QUOTE]

Gardenias

Oct 27, 2020
U.S.A.
From sermon on the mount
Blessed are the merciful,for they shall receive mercy.
We all need mercy!

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
Matt 5:7 . . Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.

The Greek word translated "merciful" is eleemon (el-eh-ay'-mone) which
means: compassionate (as an adjective). And the word translated "mercy" is
eleeo (el-eh-eh'-o) which means: to pity (as a verb).

So then, what Christ says is: if somebody is by nature cruel, hard hearted,
thoughtless, and insensitive. i.e. lacking the milk of human kindnes; then
they will get no sympathy from God.

Mic 6:8 . . He has told you, O man, what is good— and what does Jehovah
require of you but to love kindness.

Conclusion: Callous people shall be judged with neither lenience, tolerance,
sympathy, nor pity, and then afterwards; slammed with cruel and unusual
punishment. Fair's fair.

Jas 2:13 . . For judgment will be without pity to one who has shown no
compassion.
_

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
From sermon on the mount
Blessed are the merciful,for they shall receive mercy.
We all need mercy!
amen it’s the origination of our eternal covenant

“Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.

Wherefore do ye spend money for that which is not bread? and your labour for that which satisfieth not? hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness.

Incline your ear, and come unto me: hear, and your soul shall live; and I will make an everlasting covenant with you, even the sure mercies of David.”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭55:1-3‬ ‭KJV‬‬

that’s the only solution for this

“Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.”
‭‭Ezekiel‬ ‭18:4‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭3:23‬ ‭KJV‬‬

so now we have that promised everlasting covenant that if we hear ( accept ) it it gives life to the soul under death for sin

The promised everlasting covenant

“Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.”
‭‭John‬ ‭5:24‬ ‭KJV‬‬

they hear and thier souls shall live in the mercies of David renewed each morning that we may dwell In the house of the lord forever

“Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.”
‭‭John‬ ‭14:1-3‬ ‭KJV‬‬

mercy indeed mercy received and given and walked in forever

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021

The Pharisees were considered the religious elite. Outwardly, they were exemplary. But they also were full of pride and self righteousness. They were highly regarded by most Israelites. Lord Jesus saw though the veneer and into their hearts. Pharisees did not see themselves as sinners while tax collectors and harlots were beneath contempt. So they considered that anyone who associated with such people were just as bad. The Pharisees did not know God. They only knew the law. Moses knew that the law was not enough. He had to know God. And God obliged: Exodus 34:

…5And the LORD descended in a cloud, stood with him there, and proclaimed His name, the LORD. 6Then the LORD passed in front of Moses and called out: “The LORD, the LORD God, is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in loving devotion and faithfulness, 7maintaining loving devotion to a thousand generations, forgiving iniquity, transgression, and sin. Yet He will by no means leave the guilty unpunished; He will visit the iniquity of the fathers on their children and grandchildren to the third and fourth generations.”

Too many people are quick to judge and condemn others. Modern day pharisees are as much antagonistic to real Christians as the pharisees of old were to Jesus. "Just stop it" is not the answer for people who struggle with a sin. Point them to Lord Jesus, who is the answer to every human need.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
The Pharisees were considered the religious elite. Outwardly, they were exemplary. But they also were full of pride and self righteousness. They were highly regarded by most Israelites. Lord Jesus saw though the veneer and into their hearts. Pharisees did not see themselves as sinners while tax collectors and harlots were beneath contempt. So they considered that anyone who associated with such people were just as bad. The Pharisees did not know God. They only knew the law. Moses knew that the law was not enough. He had to know God. And God obliged: Exodus 34:

…5And the LORD descended in a cloud, stood with him there, and proclaimed His name, the LORD. 6Then the LORD passed in front of Moses and called out: “The LORD, the LORD God, is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in loving devotion and faithfulness, 7maintaining loving devotion to a thousand generations, forgiving iniquity, transgression, and sin. Yet He will by no means leave the guilty unpunished; He will visit the iniquity of the fathers on their children and grandchildren to the third and fourth generations.”

Too many people are quick to judge and condemn others. Modern day pharisees are as much antagonistic to real Christians as the pharisees of old were to Jesus. "Just stop it" is not the answer for people who struggle with a sin. Point them to Lord Jesus, who is the answer to every human need.
do you think this

“And he hewed two tables of stone like unto the first; (?the first set of commandments were shattered ) and Moses rose up early in the morning, and went up unto mount Sinai, as the Lord had commanded him, and took in his hand the two tables of stone.

And the Lord descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the Lord.

And the Lord passed by before him, and proclaimed, The Lord, The Lord God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,”
‭‭Exodus‬ ‭34:4-6‬ ‭KJV‬‬

is a foretelling or figure of this

“And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.

And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him. While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.

And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their face, and were sore afraid. And Jesus came and touched them, and said, Arise, and be not afraid. And when they had lifted up their eyes, they saw no man, save Jesus only.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭17:2-3, 5-8‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.”
‭‭Colossians‬ ‭2:9‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭28:19-20‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭19:5‬ ‭