“Why do bad things happen to good people”

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Washed

Mar 27, 2020
This is the typical false narrative of Job pushed through the majority of the local church in the west.

The truth is, God allowed it for the good of Job and not only that, He initiated it. Why? To address a level of unbelief in Job and ultimately to give Job a true saving faith.

Job 1:1 There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil.

Perfect and upright in the Hebrew.
Perfect/tâm: morally pious, upright.
Upright/yâshâr: righteous.

The scripture isn’t trying to tell us that Job was perfect in the sense we typically think of, it’s merely saying he was super religious, followed the law etc. Job wasn’t the perfect servant of God rather the perfect servant of religion.

When we take a closer look at Jobs family, his wretched wife, his heathen children we are reminded of the typical “Christian” family, perfect in their attendance, volunteering, giving etc. But when times are tough the true nature is revealed, often a nature of unbelief.

I suggest getting a concordance, they’re free to download on your phone. The scripture opens up when you dive into the original languages and you may see the things you’ve been taught aren’t entirely true, or the entire truth.
I'm thankful my understanding of God and the Bible is different than yours.

I'm not, and will never be a Calvinist. One day nobody will.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
Ezekiel 33
11 ‘As I live!’ declares the Lord GOD, ‘I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn from his way and live.
THANK 👏 YOU👏 I needed that.

Sep 6, 2014
John 15:1-2
“I am the True vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. 2Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit.

P

pottersclay

If we step back for a moment and look at all the good and bad in this world. It all testifies of God.
Without good we wouldn't know evil and vise versa.
We all would love to bask in the goodness of God. Kindness , unconditional love, peace, righteousness.
Praise God for by his Mercy and grace one day it will be so thanks to his son Jesus.
Don't think for a moment God doesn't feel our pain, our heat break, our sufferings, our infirmities. He does.
The question is do you feel his?
When he says he has no pleasure in the destruction of the wicked don't think for a moment his heart is not broken.
When he says he hates evil don't think for a moment it doesn't cause him anguish to see and hear his children in despair.
Jesus of all that he knew and all that he is cried at the loss of his friend. He wept for a Nation that rejected him. He pleaded for forgiveness on our behalf so that one day every tear that God holds in a bottle and has stained our face can be wiped away.
In this world you will have many tribulations.,..but be of good cheer....I have overcome the world..... Jesus.

Feb 29, 2020
Ecclesiastes 8:14

There is a vanity done upon the earth; that there be just men, unto whom it happeneth according to the work of the wicked; again, there be wicked men, to whom it happeneth according to the work of the righteous: I said that this is also vanity.

All is vanity my friend.

Jan 17, 2020
I’ve heard that question very often, and always had a cool answer of “I don’t know but I know God is in control.” That answer had always been sufficient for me. For some reason in reading part of Leviticus yesterday, when it came to the Levites killing part of the tribes of Israel after the golden calf, I got really unsettled. Like I legit wondered why God would so this? Doesn’t He love His people? Why would He ever do such a thing?

And then today I was watching Jane Eyre and it talked about “God in His wisdom” making kids orphans. And I had that same twinge.

I’ve since then asked God to forgive me for those unbelief twinges. I know He’s good, I know He loves us all, I know Christ died for us when we were still sinners and even for those who would never love Him. But it’s like... I don’t know...

I guess it’s the first time that I’ve ever had it where I really asked myself that question? Like I knew the answer before I ever asked the question. Does that make any kind of sense? Maybe it’s part of growing up.
I ask instead, "why do good things happen to bad people?"

Sep 3, 2016
I ask instead, "why do good things happen to bad people?"
The unbeliever receives the things from the "tree of the knowledge of good and evil." This is called vanity because it doesn't come through Jesus Christ and the Cross where all blessings come from. It has the sentence of death written on it. The economy is presently being shaken today around the world.

I am the Vine (not the Church, not a particular Preacher, not even a particular Doctrine, but Christ Alone), you are the branches (Believers): he who abides in Me, and I in him, the same brings forth much fruit (let us say it again; the Believer must understand that everything we receive from God comes to us exclusively through Christ and the Cross; that being the case, the Cross must ever be the Object of our Faith; then the Holy Spirit can develop fruit within our lives; it can be done no other way!): for without Me (what He did for us at the Cross) you can do nothing (the Believer should read that phrase over and over). John 15:5

Righteousness cannot be obtained without Faith in a spotless Sacrifice, therefore it is impossible to please God without Faith in Christ and the Cross of Calvary (the spotless Sacrifice) where the battle was won. Our Lord and God, Jesus Christ will always be the source of all blessings while the Cross will always be the means how we receive these blessings. Matthew 6:33

Nov 26, 2012
I’ve heard that question very often, and always had a cool answer of “I don’t know but I know God is in control.” That answer had always been sufficient for me. For some reason in reading part of Leviticus yesterday, when it came to the Levites killing part of the tribes of Israel after the golden calf, I got really unsettled. Like I legit wondered why God would so this? Doesn’t He love His people? Why would He ever do such a thing?

And then today I was watching Jane Eyre and it talked about “God in His wisdom” making kids orphans. And I had that same twinge.

I’ve since then asked God to forgive me for those unbelief twinges. I know He’s good, I know He loves us all, I know Christ died for us when we were still sinners and even for those who would never love Him. But it’s like... I don’t know...

I guess it’s the first time that I’ve ever had it where I really asked myself that question? Like I knew the answer before I ever asked the question. Does that make any kind of sense? Maybe it’s part of growing up.
Many people are blind to the larger picture. God doesn’t serve man. Man was created to serve God. All creation was balanced and ordered. It was like homeostasis for the planet. This is a term for when all chemicals are balanced in the body and it functions optimally. Since humans serve themselves, they began to spread like a cancer. There was nothing to challenge their infestation. Instead of the natural selection process that keeps other populations strong and in check, we have nothing to stop population growth in impoverished countries. It is nature’s design why animals don’t often mate in captivity. Stress and lack of purpose prevents hormones to facilitate population growth. This is the point; God created the system but I don’t believe His ultimate purpose is to micro manage. He lets the system run. Pain is the ultimate catalyst. It is a harbinger of change. All through the Bible it illustrates this. God’s people have fellowship, lose fellowship, go through trials (pain) then return to Him. The physical is realm is not our destination, it is our path. These vessels aren’t who we are, they are like larva that encases what we are to become. The pain in life, if we don’t hate it and try to avoid it can cause spiritual growth. The more pain, the more growth, like a gym for our soul. When things are comfortable they are stagnant. There is no need for change. God calls us to be more than we are. We are to be born anew, a new creation. He calls out the butterfly from the caterpillar. All of creation is crying out for change and balance to be restored. Pain is the side effect of imbalance and what causes restoration to balance.

Sep 3, 2016
As Believers (Saints) we must keep our confidence in spite of no physical evidence which has great recompense of reward (Hebrew 10:35). The Just must live by Faith (Faith placed and maintained exclusively in Christ and His Atoning Sacrificial Work at the Cross of Calvary where the victory was won). Faith is not genuine Faith until tested. Therefore, the flesh must be crippled so that the Saint no longer depends on self (the sin of self sufficiency).

The Scriptures says:
16 For which cause we faint not (the stakes are too high); but though our outward man perish (takes a beating from overwork and persecution), yet the inward man is renewed day by day (is renewed by denying self and taking up the Cross daily [Lk. 9:23-24]).

17 For our light affliction (in view of the reward, the worst of afflictions are referred to as “light”), which is but for a moment (compared to Eternity), works for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory (a greater reward, which will be received at the Resurrection);

18 While we look not at the things which are seen (the trials and tests we presently endure), but at the things which are not seen (not seen by the eyes, but definitely seen by Faith): for the things which are seen are temporal (transient); but the things which are not seen are Eternal (the things of God, and what He has prepared for us [I Cor. 2:9-10]). 2 Cor. 4

Sep 3, 2016
Isaiah 57:1-2 - God's Care For The Righteous

“1 The righteous perish and no man lays it to heart: and merciful men are taken away, none considering that the righteous is taken away from the evil to come. (The word translated “perish” does not imply violence, but the context implies a premature death. The righteous disappear — are taken from the Earth before their natural time.

The Text is so structured that, in effect, the Holy Spirit is saying that inasmuch as these “righteous” were not appreciated, but rather hated for their Godly walk, and as such were a rebuke to ungodly but religious Israel, the Lord prematurely took them away in death.

“No man lays it to heart,” refers to the fact that no one asked what it means — no one is disturbed, no one grieves.

“And merciful men are taken away,” implies that “mercy” was found only in these few “righteous.” When these were taken, very little “mercy” was left in the religious heart of spiritually demented Israel!

“None considering that the righteous is taken away from the evil to come,” refers to the fact that God may permit the premature death of His servants as an escape from calamities worse than death [I Ki. 14:13; II Ki. 22:20].)

2 He shall enter into peace: they shall rest in their beds, each one walking in his uprightness. (The pronoun “he” refers to the “righteous man” of Verse 1, while the pronoun “they” refers to the same. “He shall enter into peace,” refers to “a state of peace.” “Walking in his uprightness,” has to do with walking according to the Word of God, and not according to public opinion, or the false paths of these religious hypocrites.)

JSM

For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better: Philippians 1:23