1 Peter 2:20

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
18You who are slaves must submit to your masters with all respect. Do what they tell you ā€“ not only if they are kind and reasonable, but even if they are cruel. 19For God is pleased when, conscious of his will, you patiently endure unjust treatment. 20Of course you get no credit for being patient if you are beaten for doing wrong.

Love, forgiveness, grace and mercy in Jesus Christ is the collective essence of Scripture, yet here we see Peter being obtuse and seemingly uncaring towards slaves who are beaten. If I am incorrect in my assessment then please share your enlightenment.
To suffer for doing what is correct and right is suffering with our Savior.
To suffer for doing what is wrong is suffering for Satan.

In a sense Jesus-Yeshua was a slave for all of us doing the greatest "right" of them all, saving all souls. He willed to do this, no man did, though it may appear so to the evil spirit.

massorite

Jan 3, 2015
Youā€™re an idiot. You know nothing about me, but itā€™s painfully obvious youā€™re a judgmental, pharisaic perfectionist lost in his own pride. Carry on, wayward son.
So angry and I would say that calling a fellow believer an Idiot is definitely contrary to the Word of God.
Matthew 5:21&22
ā€œYou have heard that it was said to those of old, ā€˜You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.ā€™ But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ā€˜You fool!ā€™ will be liable to the hell of fire.
Getting angry enough to call me a name without a doubt is a reflection of the condition of your heart and the corrupted bible you are studying from is also a reflection of your heart.

All I did was point out how the bible version you are using is corrupted by leaving out words that God intended to be in His Word and that made you really angry???? You should be grateful that someone took the time to point that out to you.
Don't worry though. I was not insulted because My Father has blessed me with an understanding heart.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
I would have no problem killing a cruel slaveholder; not then, not now.
Then you would be and are in fact guilty of murder..

Do not judge least you be judged in the same manor.. If you believe a person should be killed for sinning then do not be surprised when on the day of judgement Jesus judges you in the very same manor..

MikkoAinasoja

Nov 19, 2014
18You who are slaves must submit to your masters with all respect. Do what they tell you ā€“ not only if they are kind and reasonable, but even if they are cruel. 19For God is pleased when, conscious of his will, you patiently endure unjust treatment. 20Of course you get no credit for being patient if you are beaten for doing wrong.

Love, forgiveness, grace and mercy in Jesus Christ is the collective essence of Scripture, yet here we see Peter being obtuse and seemingly uncaring towards slaves who are beaten. If I am incorrect in my assessment then please share your enlightenment.
He is not uncaring. He teach how the slaves can win bad, with good. That is the main doctrine of our Lord also. It's all about how we see things, and evaluate things. Do you really think that you are better peron than Peter was? I would suggest that you should think again.

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
So angry and I would say that calling a fellow believer an Idiot is definitely contrary to the Word of God.
Matthew 5:21&22
ā€œYou have heard that it was said to those of old, ā€˜You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.ā€™ But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ā€˜You fool!ā€™ will be liable to the hell of fire.
Getting angry enough to call me a name without a doubt is a reflection of the condition of your heart and the corrupted bible you are studying from is also a reflection of your heart.

All I did was point out how the bible version you are using is corrupted by leaving out words that God intended to be in His Word and that made you really angry???? You should be grateful that someone took the time to point that out to you.
Don't worry though. I was not insulted because My Father has blessed me with an understanding heart.
All you did was incorrect. My Bible has the remainder of verse 20 but the focus of the OP was the first part of verse 20. You come in with guns blazing, assuming Iā€™m reading a corrupted version of Scripture. Thanks anyway.

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
Do you really think that you are better peron than Peter was? I would suggest that you should think again.
A lot of egotistical finger pointing from people on this thread. But I digress; continue with your incorrect projections.

I doubt Iā€™m a better person than Peter, but I know one thing for sure, I never denied Christ.

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
Then you would be and are in fact guilty of murder..

Do not judge least you be judged in the same manor.. If you believe a person should be killed for sinning then do not be surprised when on the day of judgement Jesus judges you in the very same manor..
So you would sit back and watch someone be harshly beaten; again and again and again. Thanks for your honesty.

On another note, if you think Jesus condemns His own for passions of righteous indignation, you are sorely mistaken.

Read John 5:24

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
So you would sit back and watch someone be harshly beaten; again and again and again. Thanks for your honesty.

On another note, if you think Jesus condemns His own for passions of righteous indignation, you are sorely mistaken.

I have no problem with righteous indignation,, but the point i was responding to was not about righteous indignation.. It was the stated desire to kill someone.. And since you have not repented of it and in fact seek to justify yourself in it, then i do fear for your eternal destiny..

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
I have no problem with righteous indignation,, but the point i was responding to was not about righteous indignation.. It was the stated desire to kill someone.. And since you have not repented of it and in fact seek to justify yourself in it, then i do fear for your eternal destiny..
I appreciate your concern but youā€™ve taken things out of context. Itā€™s astonishing how often that happens here on CC.

Jesus says itā€™s all good as per John 5:24 but you counter His assurances. Iā€™ll stick with Jesus.

P

pottersclay

To sin. And that ā€œmasterā€ has been destroyed.

ā€œBut I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you. To him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also.

I would say that Peter's council on the matter was pretty accurate according to Christ teaching.
Sometimes we are faced with a dilemma in which we must search our own hearts to see if our hearts are right.
I agree fully with what you are saying that anyone abusing another should be struck down. But it seems that the Lords intent is to change the heart of the abuser.
Better to gain a friend than provoke a enemy.

E

EleventhHour

I really think it is important to put this in context of the "times" of Roman society and slaves in that world and in context of the early church.

We had a teacher who knew Latin at my high school so I was able to take Latin for three years and we studied Roman culture quite a bit to help understand the writings of that time.

The slaves of the ancient world lived a very different reality than slaves in our more recent history, the slaves had no rights, they were a possession, but many had significant "professional" roles within that culture.
They were gained by war.

Some were abused but most were not and some even were given their freedom and rights by their owners.

I think Peter did not want slaves to rebel ... he did not want the people of "The Way" to be seen as rebels or revolutionaries for the sake of preserving the Gospel.

A revolt would have been crushed by Rome and it would have been worse for all Christians.. so I think Peter is advising this for the greater good of all believers for that time period.
The yoke of slavery could not be overthrown over night...I think Peter being wise knew this.
Today, I agree we should not allow anyone be harshly beaten, we live in a different time.

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
I really think it is important to put this in context of the "times" of Roman society and slaves in that world and in context of the early church.

We had a teacher who knew Latin at my high school so I was able to take Latin for three years and we studied Roman culture quite a bit to help understand the writings of that time.

The slaves of the ancient world lived a very different reality than slaves in our more recent history, the slaves had no rights, they were a possession, but many had significant "professional" roles within that culture.
They were gained by war.

Some were abused but most were not and some even were given their freedom and rights by their owners.

I think Peter did not want slaves to rebel ... he did not want the people of "The Way" to be seen as rebels or revolutionaries for the sake of preserving the Gospel.

A revolt would have been crushed by Rome and it would have been worse for all Christians.. so I think Peter is advising this for the greater good of all believers for that time period.
The yoke of slavery could not be overthrown over night...I think Peter being wise knew this.
Today, I agree we should not allow anyone be harshly beaten, we live in a different time.
Thank you, Eleven! This is the wisdom and understanding I was trying to gain. Itā€™s an excellent summation and I appreciate your time and effort in sharing.