10 Concise Reasons to Remember the Sabbath

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

beta

Aug 8, 2016
I would prefer to do more than lip service to my Lord, as He is a Great God and deserves to be served, not with my lips only, but also with by body and my mind.

Rom. 12:
1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

The Mainstream Preachers of Christ's time were convinced that lip service to God while transgressing His Commandments be their religious traditions was the way to go. But I believe the Bible exposed their folly. So I am careful not to be conformed to the religions of the world, and place my trust directly in Him. This is why I don't reject His Commandments created for me. If I boast, I prefer to boast in the Lord and His Righteousness, not my own religious traditions.
AMEN !!! PRAISE THE LORD oh my soul and forget not all HIS benefits !!!

jameen

Feb 5, 2018
Manila
And Jesus fulfilled the Law
Jesus is not compelled to fulfilled the law such as you shall not kill, you shall not steal etc. why?

1 Timothy 1:9 knowing this: that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for man slayers,

1:10 for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine,

Remember Jesus is sinless and guileless as mentioned in 1 Peter 2:22

What is the law that Jesus fulfilled?

Luke 24:44 Then He said to them, “These are the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms concerning Me.

To be clearer about what is said in Luke, let give an example:

Matthew Chapter 16

Jesus Predicts His Death and Resurrection

21 From that time Jesus began to show to His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised the third day.

22 Then Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him, saying, “Far be it from You, Lord; this shall not happen to You!”

23 But He turned and said to Peter, “Get behind Me, Satan! You are an offense to Me, for you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men.”

Going back to the topic, Jesus is not compelled even to observe the resting day Sabbath. he even justifies his violation.

Matthew 12:2 And when the Pharisees saw it, they said to Him, “Look, Your disciples are doing what is not lawful to do on the Sabbath!”

3 But He said to them, “Have you not read what David did when he was hungry, he and those who were with him:

4 how he entered the house of God and ate the show bread which was not lawful for him to eat, nor for those who were with him, but only for the priests?

5 Or have you not read in the law that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple profane the Sabbath, and are blameless?

The real Sabbath of the Christians is to cease from living wickedly as mentioned in Hebrews 4:9-11.

Besides the Sabbath is not that important to God actually especially to the mostly disobedient children of Israel

Lamentations 2:6 He has done violence to His tabernacle, As if it were a garden;He has destroyed His place of assembly; The Lord has caused The appointed feasts and Sabbaths to be forgotten in Zion. In His burning indignation He has spurned the king and the priest.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Do you realize that Gentiles were never under the law? Gentiles were never subject to the ten commandments.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
Do you realize that Gentiles were never under the law? Gentiles were never subject to the ten commandments.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
many of us do understand this, but the Judeaizers do not. they think you have to keep the Sabbath in order to be saved.

Mar 28, 2016
many of us do understand this, but the Judeaizers do not. they think you have to keep the Sabbath in order to be saved.

From my own experiences there is much confusion simply in the way men define the word "keep" .

While some say it means to keep perfectly without error . Others say it means to guard closely with all of ones new heart, soul and mind. This is knowing only God can keep perfectly without stumbling. When we stumble and sin by denying Christ in unbelief in the least of the written laws we will be found guilty of the whole and receive eternal darnation . The price Christ paid in our stead. and if any man says he has not sinned he simply makes God out to be the liar. Proving his own self to be the one who does lie.

Strongs lexicon....4933 syntēréō (from 4862 /sýn, "closely together with" and 5083 /tēréō, "guard, keep") – properly, preserve close together (with close care); keep intact (safe).

James 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth "all understanding", shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
creating images of God in the likeness of man and created "Feasts unto the Lord" in worship of this image is perfectly fine, you never judge those who partake in this sin, only those who believe we should listen to ALL of god's Word.
absolutely false.
I have never said any such thing, and I'm not standing to judge anyone; the scripture instructs not to allow anyone to judge the believer over shadows since the substance has now come, and I seek to join Him in His work to prevent the faith of any little one being destroyed by such spurious judgement.

studydude, I want you to understand why physical circumcision is not commanded to the gentiles who come to faith, and to understand how Christ redeems us. you wildly misinterpret and misrepresent me, accusing me of encouraging wickedness. I think you need to stop thinking about how much you hate the picture of Pharisees you hold in your mind and start thinking about Jesus, what He has done and who He is.

7seasrekeyed

absolutely false.
I have never said any such thing, and I'm not standing to judge anyone; the scripture instructs not to allow anyone to judge the believer over shadows since the substance has now come, and I seek to join Him in His work to prevent the faith of any little one being destroyed by such spurious judgement.

studydude, I want you to understand why physical circumcision is not commanded to the gentiles who come to faith, and to understand how Christ redeems us. you wildly misinterpret and misrepresent me, accusing me of encouraging wickedness. I think you need to stop thinking about how much you hate the picture of Pharisees you hold in your mind and start thinking about Jesus, what He has done and who He is.
they don't get that

if they got that, the whole religious mashup would cave

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
they don't get that

if they got that, the whole religious mashup would cave
yeah anyone who wants to judge others over food, feasts, festivals and sabbaths really needs colossians 2 to say exactly the opposite of what it actually says. and they try.
and they need the believer to be under law, not grace. and they need something other than immersion into Christ's death to be the mechanism of salvation.

imo they fear that grace leads to licentiousness, because they disbelieve the power of God to work in a person, so they feel that they need the threat of condemnation to coerce behaviour modification in order to forcibly produce fruit in a believer.
the desire to see righteous behaviour is good, but the means employed to that end deny the power and reality of the cross ((my opinion)) and puff up and destroy rather than edify.

certainly we should be spurring each other to good works but not at the expense of the truth of the gospel.

Studyman

Oct 11, 2017

For the cause of Christ
Roger
According to mainstream religious doctrines, Yes. But I don't believe the Bible teaches this.

Here is one scripture which challenge this doctrine from the religions of the world..

Rom. 2:
6 Who will render to every man according to his deeds:
7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
8 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,
9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;
10 But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:

11 For there is no respect of persons with God.

Studyman

Oct 11, 2017
I believe we should listen to the one that Saves and follow His instruction, not as Eve did and listen to the other voice.

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018
Post the post # of the person or persons here who stated exactly that please. Thank you in advance.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
According to mainstream religious doctrines, Yes. But I don't believe the Bible teaches this.

Here is one scripture which challenge this doctrine from the religions of the world..

Rom. 2:
6 Who will render to every man according to his deeds:
7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
8 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,
9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;
10 But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:

11 For there is no respect of persons with God.
You should have read a little further on...

Ro 2:14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:

Ro 2:27 And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law?

Gentiles are not under the law. The law was for Israel.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018
You should have read a little further on...

Ro 2:14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:

Ro 2:27 And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law?

Gentiles are not under the law. The law was for Israel.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
"And foreigners who bind themselves to the Lord to minister to him, to love the name of the Lord, and to be his servants, all who keep the Sabbath without desecrating it and who hold fast to my covenant—these I will bring to my holy mountain and give them joy in my house of prayer.” Isaiah 56:6-7

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 5:17-20

notuptome

May 17, 2013
"And foreigners who bind themselves to the Lord to minister to him, to love the name of the Lord, and to be his servants, all who keep the Sabbath without desecrating it and who hold fast to my covenant—these I will bring to my holy mountain and give them joy in my house of prayer.” Isaiah 56:6-7

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 5:17-20
Why would Gentiles bind themselves to the law only to come to Christ to be free from the law? the law has always been for Israel. The law could never produce righteousness only illustrate sin.

Adam did not have the law and still Adam sinned. The law still pertains to Israel but righteousness still comes through Jesus Christ.

Ro 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

For the cause of Christ
Roger

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
And foreigners who bind themselves to the Lord to minister to him, to love the name of the Lord, and to be his servants, all who keep the Sabbath without desecrating it and who hold fast to my covenant—these I will bring to my holy mountain and give them joy in my house of prayer.”
Isaiah 56:6-8
"And the foreigners who join themselves to the LORD, to minister to him, to love the name of the LORD, and to be his servants, everyone who keeps the Sabbath and does not profane it, and holds fast my covenant-- these I will bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer; their burnt offerings and their sacrifices will be accepted on my altar; for my house shall be called a house of prayer for all peoples." The Lord GOD, who gathers the outcasts of Israel, declares, "I will gather yet others to him besides those already gathered."

what mountain is this?
what house?
what sacrifices?
what burnt offerings?
what covenant?

and what sabbath is He speaking of, the shadow or the real one?

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018
Isaiah 56:6-8
"And the foreigners who join themselves to the LORD, to minister to him, to love the name of the LORD, and to be his servants, everyone who keeps the Sabbath and does not profane it, and holds fast my covenant-- these I will bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer; their burnt offerings and their sacrifices will be accepted on my altar; for my house shall be called a house of prayer for all peoples." The Lord GOD, who gathers the outcasts of Israel, declares, "I will gather yet others to him besides those already gathered."

what mountain is this?
what house?
what sacrifices?
what burnt offerings?
what covenant?

and what sabbath is He speaking of, the shadow or the real one?
You're aware there was a Sabbath before the ten commandments?

How does a Christian condemn keeping the Sabbath day holy, i.e. taking time to be in meditation and prayer, in peace, with God?
And after all that, proudly defend they go to church on Suns-day?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
You're aware there was a Sabbath before the ten commandments?

How does a Christian condemn keeping the Sabbath day holy, i.e. taking time to be in meditation and prayer, in peace, with God?
And after all that, proudly defend they go to church on Suns-day?
I wouldn't know, I've never met anyone who ever condemned keeping sabbath.

and yes I am aware that Exodus 16 comes before Exodus 20.
((post is a mathematician, did you know?))

anyway any answers to any of my questions? that chapter of Isaiah seems prophetic to me, so it's probably speaking in types and symbols in that sense, even though there would be an immediate application to proselyte Jews. which we are not.

Studyman

Oct 11, 2017
="posthuman, post: 3671266, member: 170505"]absolutely false.
"did you have a nice Rosh Chodesh"
Are you preaching to these "little ones" that if they believe in God's Word where the Sabbath is concerned then they must also observe man made religious High Days like Rosh Chodesh and Hanukkah ?

Are you preaching to these little ones that the Pharisees we trying to earn Salvation by Following God's Laws and not the "Commandments of men" like Jesus said?

Are you preaching to these little ones that God's instructions are "vain deceit" and Rudiments of the World"?

Did the Mainstream Preachers of Christ's time accept His Words when He told them the truth about their preaching? Was it a bad thing that the "Little ones" saw how the Pharisees refused to accept what the Word showed them?

I know that the intent of circumcision has always been about how we think, not what skin is removed from our private parts.

Lev. 26:
40 If they shall confess their iniquity, and the iniquity of their fathers, with their trespass which they trespassed against me, and that also they have walked contrary unto me;
41 And that I also have walked contrary unto them, and have brought them into the land of their enemies; if then their uncircumcised hearts be humbled, and they then accept of the punishment of their iniquity:

Duet. 10:
16 Circumcise therefore the foreskin of your heart, and be no more stiffnecked.
17 For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward:

I also know the Law and Prophets were written for our admonition, so I can see the choices others made, and avoid making the same mistakes.

Heb. 12:
1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Jesus also had a race set before Him. God didn't run His Race for Him, and Jesus isn't running the race set before me.

He has promised everything I need to "endure" until the end of my life. All I need to do is "Believe in Him", and "DO" as He says.

I hope these "Little ones" can see that it is the Christ who get's the Glory, it is the Christ that created the circumstance I find myself in. And it is the Christ of the Bible, the Word which became Flesh, that I entrust with my very soul.

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018
I wouldn't know, I've never met anyone who ever condemned keeping sabbath.
You're new to the Sabbath threads here then?

anyway any answers to any of my questions? that chapter of Isaiah seems prophetic to me, so it's probably speaking in types and symbols in that sense, even though there would be an immediate application to proselyte Jews. which we are not.
Historical Context: Gathering Israel, Gathering Foreign Nations

The historical context for Isaiah 56 sheds light on the idea of gathering. From 587-516 CE, the Israelites endured a Babylonian forced migration (exile) and were thus scattered throughout the neighboring nations. Distressed by the loss of homeland, Israel's prophets encouraged the exiles with visions of a gathering and return.

So for example, Isaiah 43:5-6 proclaims, "I will bring your offspring from the east, and from the west I will gather you; I will say to the north, 'Give them up,' and to the south, 'Do not withhold; bring my sons from far away and my daughters from the end of the earth.'" Isaiah, in particular, made that vision even more powerful by reminding the Israelites of their national story. In that story, God gave Hebrew slaves their own land after rescuing them from Egyptian oppression. Isaiah invokes this old story of gathering Israel to bring hope to the exiled Israelites. A return to homeland involved hope that God would act on their behalf again. This is often called the "Second Exodus." The exiles would be drawn out from the nations and gathered in their homeland.

By the time our passage was written, the prophet explains that the Second Exodus had already taken place. Isaiah 56 is usually dated to the post-exilic period, when some Israelites had already returned to Jerusalem to rebuild the temple (516 BCE). Hence, for Isaiah, the great gathering of Israelites had come to pass. The Second Exodus from the nations had taken place. The national foundation story of the Exodus promised that Israel could rebuild its national life, once again.