3 gifts Superceded By THREE Gifts

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

SomeDisciple

Jul 4, 2021
...Charity suffereth long...(+14 others!)...Charity never faileth...

...BUT Whether there be PROPHECIES, they SHALL FAIL;
whether there be TONGUES, they SHALL CEASE; whether there
be KNOWLEDGE, it shall VANISH AWAY. For we know in part, and
we PROPHESY IN PART.”

The prophecies SHALL FAIL? Who believes that? Surely not
the prophecy experts, correct? Or, one could ask, when?
Also, the word for "fail" in, "whether there be prophecies, they shall fail" is not the same as "fail" in "charity never fail". Other versions say that where there is prophecy, it will be abolished/ taken away. So, that might be why people don't believe that prophecy will fail, because it doesn't actually say prophecies will fail. Unlike the KJV, which fails and is definitely not 'that which is perfect". I like the KJV, but It's not perfect.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
So, that might be why people don't believe that prophecy will fail, because it doesn't actually say prophecies will fail.
You have a good point. The Greek word in the case of prophecies and knowledge is the same, and in the case of tongues almost the same, even though the English words vary. So in fact all three gifts could have been shown to be abolished.

Ἡ ἀγάπη οὐδέποτε ἐκπίπτει εἴτε δὲ προφητεῖαι καταργηθήσονται* · εἴτε γλῶσσαι παύσονται**· εἴτε γνῶσις καταργηθήσεται*

*to render inoperative, to abolish

** to cease or stop

SomeDisciple

Jul 4, 2021
(1) Does this not explain Why missionaries Have To Study/Learn
"foreign" languages,
Before departing to the country God Called
them to serve? Because, the “gift of tongues” has Ceased?
So, I don't think that the gift of tongues was ever meant to be used as a crutch by apostles or missionaries. Everybody puts their own effort into ministry and relies on God where they inevitably fall short. If I am going to China to share the Gospel, I wouldn't just expect the Holy Ghost to do everything for me- otherwise if the Holy Ghost did everything, why would anyone even have to go at all? God can do it himself. He doesn't really need anyone to do anything for him.
Therefore, HIS Word Is The Absolute Final Authority! And
God Warns!: All "who think Above, or, Exceed or Add to IT!":

"And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to
myself and to Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in us

NOT TO THINK ABOVE THAT WHICH IS WRITTEN,

that no one of you be puffed up for one against another."
The subject of these verses is not even spiritual gifts. The point of it was that Paul, Apollos, or anybody else, at best, are ministers of Christ at best. No one is "of Apollos" or "of Paul" we are all "of Christ" and nobody should think because they were taught by Paul, or baptized by Apollos that they are better than anyone else (puffed up).

SomeDisciple

Jul 4, 2021
...Finally, IF TRUTH!:

(4) WHY would any child Of God today, "settle for Less { that which
is in Part! }," When they Could Have ALL Of What God Has For them?:

"Who also declared unto us your LOVE In The Spirit. For this cause
we also, since the day we heard it , do not cease to pray for you,
and to desire that ye Might Be Filled With The Knowledge Of HIS
Will In All Wisdom And Spiritual Understanding!" (Colossians_1 : 8-9!)

"That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together In
LOVE, and Unto All Riches Of The Full Assurance Of Understanding,
to the acknowledgement Of
The Mystery of God, And Of The Father,
And Of CHRIST!" (Colossians_2 : 2!)

Because God Has Done Away With That "which was In Part!" Amen?
Really, we will never have all that God has for us, because he keeps giving. The bible is the word of god- but it's a book. The world could not even contain enough books to describe all that God has for us. The Bib;e has what we need to get saved, and to get on board with his program. It's an introductory pamphlet- a basic outline of the Word of God, not an all inclusive detailed explanation of all he has ever said and done, and will ever say and do.
The Holy Spirit and the gifts don't bring us to a book (except the Book of Life). We have the book )the bible) to bring us to the Holy spirit and the gifts.

S

SophieT

Precious friend(s), surely, we All {In Fellowship With our LORD JESUS}, do
know And Understand And agree (1 Corinthians 1 : 9-10 KJB!),
on This Important Verse Of God!, Correct?:

"And Now Abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but
The Greatest of these is Charity!" (1_Corinthians_13 : 13 KJB!)

But, how about This trio of gifts - Are they for us today?:

Modern Day prophet(ess)? Speaking in tongues? Word of knowledge?

There is, I believe, a Very Simple Solution, found In The
Perfect {Which "Has come," And
we have}, Pure And
Preserved Word of God, The Bible,
Prayerfully and Carefully studied:

...Though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all
mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that
I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing…”

Does God Still Have these in effect Today?

What Saith The Pure, Preserved, Precious And Perfect Scriptures?

we PROPHESY IN PART.”

(A) At the Coming End Of Time {Perfect New Heavens and New Earth?},
when there are No more prophecies to be fulfilled? Or:

(B) At The Second Coming of CHRIST, Who Is “Perfect,”
But, with still More Remaining prophecies To Be Fulfilled?
Then, we wonder, what Exactly does this mean?

But when That Which Is Perfect Is Come, then
that which is In Part SHALL BE DONE AWAY.”
(1_Corinthians_13:1-10 KJB!)

Since (A) And (B) above do not make sense about "prophecies,"
may we then suggest for your Careful/Prayerful Consideration?:

(C) Has not "That Which IS PERFECT" Already COME?

IF so, Then “that which is in part” = the “gift of tongues” has Ceased,
the gift of “the word of knowledge” has Vanished, And the “gift of
prophecy
” has Failed! IF so, then we kindly ask:

"foreign" languages,

(2) Where does This Truth leave Ellen White and Seventh Day Adventism?
And, ALL Other so-called “prophets/prophetesses”?
Because, the “gift of prophecy” has Failed?

(3) What about All The watchmen prophecies and failing "dreams and
visions Date-Setters" of The Great GRACE Departure { aka rapture }?...
Because “the word of knowledge” has Vanished? Not apologizing for So
Many questions, just trying my best To Get To God's Word Of Truth, for me,
And ALL of the pending Confusion would Be ENDED, Right?:

...Need Bible Confirmation, correct?:

"Whereof I am made a minister, according to The Dispensation
of God Which is given to me for you, to fulfil [ Complete! Or Fill Up!! ]
The Word of God (Perfect?)"
(Colossians_1 : 25 cp Psalms 12 : 6-7; 138 : 2 KJB!)

If “That ( neuter gender ) Which is Perfect" is Not The
Perfect CHRIST
( Masculine Gender ), Then Is This not The
Only Other Choice?:

The Pure And Perfect Written Word Of God,
HIS Precious And Holy Scriptures?

Further Biblical Confirmation!:

"The Words Of The LORD Are Pure Words: As silver tried in a
furnace of earth, Purified Seven Times! THOU Shalt Keep Them,
O LORD, THOU Shalt
Preserve Them from this generation For Ever!"
( Psalms_12 : 6-7 KJB! )

"I will worship toward THY holy temple, and praise THY Name for
THY Lovingkindness and for THY Truth: for THOU Hast
Magnified
Thy WORD Above All THY {Perfect?} Name!" (Psalms_138 : 2 KJB!)

(1_Corinthians_4 : 6 KJB!)
{
Sad that Many "self-proclaimed" [whatevers] do this Very Thing, Correct?}

...Finally, IF TRUTH!:

Thus, the humble Confusion Clearing Conclusion of this study, is that:

The trio of Expired gifts of "prophecy, word of knowledge, And
speaking in tongues," Have Been Superseded Today, By God,
With The
Remaining, And NOW Abiding THREE Gifts Of:

"faith, hope, And love In Grace, Pure GRACE!"
And, The GREATEST Of These Is LOVE!!
+
All the law Is FULFILLED In ONE WORD: LOVE thy neighbor!”
(Galatians 5 : 14; Romans 13 : 8-10 KJB!)
Amen?
-------------------------------------------
Blessed Be The Name of The LORD, And HIS Perfect, Pure, And
"Exalted Above All His Name," WORD For Ever And Ever!! Amen?

Please be Richly Encouraged, enlightened, exhorted, and edified!
God's Simple Will!

the trio of expired gifts

or not

S

SophieT

I guess I would have to ask about the gifts because they were given after Christ's Death on the Cross. So why mention them in the first place? I got to a certain point and shook my head. 1 Corinthians 12 show differently, IMHO. I always understood 1 Corinthians 13 to say, and I am paraphrasing in my words, that we will not understand completely until we meet him face to face. Until that day our Hope is in GOD, our Faith is in Jesus, and we should love others as GOD has loved us.

I left the Southern Baptist Church for the same thing years ago. Interesting thought...

exactly

Aug 2, 2021
You have a good point. The Greek word in the case of prophecies and knowledge is the same, and in the case of tongues almost the same, even though the English words vary. So in fact all three gifts could have been shown to be abolished.

Ἡ ἀγάπη οὐδέποτε ἐκπίπτει εἴτε δὲ προφητεῖαι καταργηθήσονται* · εἴτε γλῶσσαι παύσονται**· εἴτε γνῶσις καταργηθήσεται*

*to render inoperative, to abolish

** to cease or stop
impossible according to Scripture - stay with what is written and you will be safe from error - the gifts cease when the Scripture says they cease

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I set aside childish ways.
Now we see but a dim reflection as in a mirror;
then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love; but the greatest of these is love.

Earnestly pursue love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy. 2For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men, but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries in the Spirit. 3But he who prophesies speaks to men for their edification, encouragement, and comfort. 4The one who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but the one who prophesies edifies the church.
5I wish that all of you could speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets so that the church may be edified.

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
Those who believe in cessationism are missing out on gifts that the Lord wants to give to them.

I would say that even those who deny the gifts, some of them at least have to have the gift of teaching.

I personally have the gift of tongues and I do not believe that it is of the devil.

As a matter of facts, the suggestion that it might be, to me, is borderline blasphemy of the Holy Ghost if it is not crossing over the line.

Is the gift of tongues therefore of the flesh?

That is your only safe option if you are going to deny the reality of the gifts in today's church.

How then do you explain the fact that people have testified that the languages that have been spoken in were their own language that they grew up in; when the person speaking in those tongues had no personal knowledge of how to speak that language?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
More than likely since (1) people are being coached in many cases, (2) modern tongues are not actual human languages but babbling (glossolalia), and (3) Paul's clear instructions on how to exercise the gift of tongues are being ignored (by and large). Add to that the craziness of things like the "Toronto Blessing" and at best this is all connected to the flesh. Further add to that the false doctrines of the preachers involved and you have a real schmozzle.

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
More than likely since (1) people are being coached in many cases, (2) modern tongues are not actual human languages but babbling (glossolalia), and (3) Paul's clear instructions on how to exercise the gift of tongues are being ignored (by and large). Add to that the craziness of things like the "Toronto Blessing" and at best this is all connected to the flesh. Further add to that the false doctrines of the preachers involved and you have a real schmozzle.
Answer to the fact of what I spoke of earlier.

That is your only safe option if you are going to deny the reality of the gifts in today's church.

How then do you explain the fact that people have testified that the languages that have been spoken in were their own language that they grew up in; when the person speaking in those tongues had no personal knowledge of how to speak that language?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
There may be some anecdotal material in this connection but who can verify that?. But the actual analysis of tongues done by actual linguists shows that there were no human languages involved.

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
There may be some anecdotal material in this connection but who can verify that?. But the actual analysis of tongues done by actual linguists shows that there were no human languages involved.
I suppose that it is a matter of faith...believing the testimony of those who have given it.

If you are going to call these people liars then maybe you deserve to miss out on the blessing of the gifts of the Holy Ghost.

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
There is also the reality of "the tongues of angels" (1 Corinthians 13:1).

Aug 2, 2021
This is exactly what 1 Corinthians 13 is all about. And of the three gifts which remain agape love (charity) is the greatest. So in fact it is an act of love to remind Christians that the three gifts that related to the completion of the Bible have been withdrawn, and at the same time the apostles and prophets are with us in the written Word of God.
This is against the Holy Spirit an is a lie since the Word of God said they have never been withdrawn.

Attacking the Holy Spirit is a great sin and anyone who blasphemes the Holy Spirit is in danger of never being forgiven.

Assuredly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they may utter; but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation”— because they said, “He has an unclean spirit.”
Mark 3:28-30

The Gift of Tongues and all the Gifts of the Holy Spirit are for the Bride of Christ.
The LORD Jesus Christ paid for those Gifts with His shed Blood and They are Precious to His Body.

There is no 'Agape Love' coming forth from unbelief and committing the sin of 'adding to and taking away from God's words.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
This is exactly what 1 Corinthians 13 is all about. And of the three gifts which remain agape love (charity) is the greatest. So in fact it is an act of love to remind Christians that the three gifts that related to the completion of the Bible have been withdrawn, and at the same time the apostles and prophets are with us in the written Word of God.
It is VERY important to learn this most essential necessity: Love needs Power and Power needs Love.

Love without Power and you are helpless (being unable to meet the needs of a needy world and church) and if you have Power without Love, you’re a nuisance, you can be hard, very nasty and difficult. The primary aim of the gifts of the Spirit (1Cor 12v7-11) is to reveal the character and goodness of God.

Some people say we need love and not the gifts of the Spirit, but how are you going to manifest God’s feeling for people if you don’t have the gifts of the Spirit? The gifts of the Spirit are the manifestations of divine love and power. So we need BOTH the character of God revealed and the Powers of God revealed. The Powers of God reveal the character and nature of God.

In 1Cor 13, Paul has been showing that the gifts of the Spirit are temporary (being available to the Church throughout the whole of the Age of Grace, right up to the 2nd Coming of Christ, when He comes to destroy the wicked, take His people home and set up the Millennium Kingdom, Acts 2v16-21,38,39), even though they are so important to us now; he finishes by mentioning three graces, three attributes of character that will endure forever. Faith, hope and love will survive all the other things of which Paul has been speaking. In stating that love is the greatest of these virtues, Paul is not saying that love will outlast faith and hope, he is saying that love is the foundation upon which faith and hope build.

In society faith and hope cannot exists without the presence of love, community life, in the end becomes impossible without mutual love. This is why the present world is disintegrating and so full of strife, and why God has an eternal prison called Hell, the loveless, hateful people who would ruin the lovely atmosphere of heaven, as they have wrecked the earth, are excluded from heaven. There is also as much need in heaven as upon earth for faith and mutual trust, for no society can exist in peace without mutual trust between its members. In heaven there will be a perfect faith and trust between God and His creatures, and between the members of that kingdom.

S

SophieT

what I Corinthians is actually about, is the fact that no gift without God's love working through it, is a good thing

that was the emphasis and still is the emphasis

Who was Paul writing to? the Corinthians who were in error in their worship and use of the gifts...especially tongues.

but what do cessationists do? they try to turn this chapter into a cancellation of 3 gifts and say that is what it is about

no gift has ceased and I really have to wonder why the same people keep turning up in every thread about the gifts declaring that tongues has ceased along with 2 other gifts when Paul says do not forbid speaking in tongues but do it right

do it right people. do it right. that's all

lamad

Apr 14, 2021
Precious friend(s), surely, we All {In Fellowship With our LORD JESUS}, do
know And Understand And agree (1 Corinthians 1 : 9-10 KJB!),
on This Important Verse Of God!, Correct?:

"And Now Abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but
The Greatest of these is Charity!" (1_Corinthians_13 : 13 KJB!)

But, how about This trio of gifts - Are they for us today?:

Modern Day prophet(ess)? Speaking in tongues? Word of knowledge?

There is, I believe, a Very Simple Solution, found In The
Perfect {Which "Has come," And
we have}, Pure And
Preserved Word of God, The Bible,
Prayerfully and Carefully studied:

...Though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all
mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that
I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing…”

Does God Still Have these in effect Today?

What Saith The Pure, Preserved, Precious And Perfect Scriptures?

we PROPHESY IN PART.”

(A) At the Coming End Of Time {Perfect New Heavens and New Earth?},
when there are No more prophecies to be fulfilled? Or:

(B) At The Second Coming of CHRIST, Who Is “Perfect,”
But, with still More Remaining prophecies To Be Fulfilled?
Then, we wonder, what Exactly does this mean?

But when That Which Is Perfect Is Come, then
that which is In Part SHALL BE DONE AWAY.”
(1_Corinthians_13:1-10 KJB!)

Since (A) And (B) above do not make sense about "prophecies,"
may we then suggest for your Careful/Prayerful Consideration?:

(C) Has not "That Which IS PERFECT" Already COME?

IF so, Then “that which is in part” = the “gift of tongues” has Ceased,
the gift of “the word of knowledge” has Vanished, And the “gift of
prophecy
” has Failed! IF so, then we kindly ask:

"foreign" languages,

(2) Where does This Truth leave Ellen White and Seventh Day Adventism?
And, ALL Other so-called “prophets/prophetesses”?
Because, the “gift of prophecy” has Failed?

(3) What about All The watchmen prophecies and failing "dreams and
visions Date-Setters" of The Great GRACE Departure { aka rapture }?...
Because “the word of knowledge” has Vanished? Not apologizing for So
Many questions, just trying my best To Get To God's Word Of Truth, for me,
And ALL of the pending Confusion would Be ENDED, Right?:

...Need Bible Confirmation, correct?:

"Whereof I am made a minister, according to The Dispensation
of God Which is given to me for you, to fulfil [ Complete! Or Fill Up!! ]
The Word of God (Perfect?)"
(Colossians_1 : 25 cp Psalms 12 : 6-7; 138 : 2 KJB!)

If “That ( neuter gender ) Which is Perfect" is Not The
Perfect CHRIST
( Masculine Gender ), Then Is This not The
Only Other Choice?:

The Pure And Perfect Written Word Of God,
HIS Precious And Holy Scriptures?

Further Biblical Confirmation!:

"The Words Of The LORD Are Pure Words: As silver tried in a
furnace of earth, Purified Seven Times! THOU Shalt Keep Them,
O LORD, THOU Shalt
Preserve Them from this generation For Ever!"
( Psalms_12 : 6-7 KJB! )

"I will worship toward THY holy temple, and praise THY Name for
THY Lovingkindness and for THY Truth: for THOU Hast
Magnified
Thy WORD Above All THY {Perfect?} Name!" (Psalms_138 : 2 KJB!)

(1_Corinthians_4 : 6 KJB!)
{
Sad that Many "self-proclaimed" [whatevers] do this Very Thing, Correct?}

...Finally, IF TRUTH!:

Thus, the humble Confusion Clearing Conclusion of this study, is that:

The trio of Expired gifts of "prophecy, word of knowledge, And
speaking in tongues," Have Been Superseded Today, By God,
With The
Remaining, And NOW Abiding THREE Gifts Of:

"faith, hope, And love In Grace, Pure GRACE!"
And, The GREATEST Of These Is LOVE!!
+
All the law Is FULFILLED In ONE WORD: LOVE thy neighbor!”
(Galatians 5 : 14; Romans 13 : 8-10 KJB!)
Amen?
-------------------------------------------
Blessed Be The Name of The LORD, And HIS Perfect, Pure, And
"Exalted Above All His Name," WORD For Ever And Ever!! Amen?

Please be Richly Encouraged, enlightened, exhorted, and edified!
God's Simple Will!
One need ask only ONE question to find out if the bible meets the criteria of "the perfect."

HAS KNOWLEDGE VANISHED AWAY? No, human knowledge perhaps doubles ever year.
It is very safe to say that knowledge has not vanished away. There goes your entire argument glug glug glug right down the drain.

By the way, why did you choose those three: the three gifts to SPEAK supernaturally, while ignoring the three gifts to ACT supernaturally or the three to KNOW supernaturally?

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
There is also the reality of "the tongues of angels" (1 Corinthians 13:1).
I think "tongue of angels" are just hypothetical ones. Paul has never spoken once. It is saying the same thing as "prayer moves the mountain".

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
One need ask only ONE question to find out if the bible meets the criteria of "the perfect."

HAS KNOWLEDGE VANISHED AWAY? No, human knowledge perhaps doubles ever year.
It is very safe to say that knowledge has not vanished away. There goes your entire argument glug glug glug right down the drain.

By the way, why did you choose those three: the three gifts to SPEAK supernaturally, while ignoring the three gifts to ACT supernaturally or the three to KNOW supernaturally?

9For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

Partial knowledge, partial prophesy. The two which is in part will be replaced by a complete that shall come. The only thing that fits this is the completed Bible, not even Christ coming that shall vanish or that will cease the two. God bless