31 SIGNS YOU MIGHT BE APOSTATE (Check your spiritual pulse.)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

kaylagrl

There CAN be a kind of pride or self-satisfaction that goes along with living in lack. "look at me I'm righteous because I'm broke" "Isn't it wonderful how that rich man is going to hell?" ;)
Yes,this is true too. I met a man and his wife in my travels and he insisted that his wife buy only Goodwill and they lived like they didn't have a dime. He constantly bragged that they bought Goodwill and how they suffered,yet they had money enough to buy what they needed. Very odd.

Dec 11, 2017
Now to everyone who is offended by this thread, what if I had posted it with the title: 31 Characteristics Of A Christian instead? Would you have been offended? And if so, why? (Think about this.)

If the original title is offensive to you, doesn't it stand to reason that the reverse would not be? If this list describes how you think Christians should be, you shouldn't mind the change of title. But if you would be offended by the change of title, doesn't your own offense bear witness to the fact that you know these things are not in accordance with Christian doctrine or pleasing to God? And if you know this, why are you offended by the title of the thread or its position? You have to choose one side or the other.

I repeat, if there's nothing wrong with a Christian being the way this list describes, then claim it for yourself. Otherwise, you really have no grounds for objection to the thread title or its position.

*This is intended to provoke you to thought and to convict you (if you aren't already convicted), to the end of positive change, as the note at the end of the list says: Do something about it, today. It has the potential to do you good; but only by your own choice. God's grace is waiting.*

Does this list describe how Christians should be and what Christianity teaches, or does it describe how apostate Christians behave? It's one or the other. Take your pick.

P.S. Item #8 on the list has to do with how the Bible says Christians will be in the last days (See 2 Timothy 3:1-5); which is why a Christian who actually loves (obeys) and is devoted to Jesus in these days will not be popular with most other Christians. (Should a Christian who loves the Lord be popular with Christians like those described in 2 Timothy 3:1-5?)

**This is one of those posts its probably better to ponder than to reply to.**

For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died; and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised. (2 Corinthians 5:14,15)

You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. (1 Corinthians 6:19, 20)

Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, "Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion..." (Hebrews 3:7,8)

Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you. (James 4:8-10)

(These are not my words but God's Word, as you yourselves know. The eyes of the Lord are on our hearts and our deeds. What do you have to say to Him?)

K

kaylagrl

I don't have a problem with the title,I have a problem with some of the list. Still haven't gotten past number 6. There is nothing wrong with being rich and it certainly doesn't make you an apostate.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Yes,this is true too. I met a man and his wife in my travels and he insisted that his wife buy only Goodwill and they lived like they didn't have a dime. He constantly bragged that they bought Goodwill and how they suffered,yet they had money enough to buy what they needed. Very odd.
This fellow is putting on an pious pretentious display.

preacher4truth

Dec 28, 2016
Now to everyone who is offended by this thread,

No one is offended by your thread.

Does this list describe how Christians should be and what Christianity teaches
Your list has several flaws and isn't representative of what an apostate is.

...or does it describe how apostate Christians behave?
There is no such thing as an "apostate Christian."

Do you even know what an apostate is? By your listing of things that allegedly make one apostate, you don't know.

It's one or the other. Take your pick.

It's neither, really, it misses the mark on both.

K

kaylagrl

Do you even know what an apostate is? By your listing of things that allegedly make one apostate, you don't know.

I know Im not getting any younger but I don't wear glasses and I can hardly see your responses.I think I agree but I can't be sure.Anyone have some glasses I can borrow?? Max??

Jan 27, 2015
I know Im not getting any younger but I don't wear glasses and I can hardly see your responses.I think I agree but I can't be sure.Anyone have some glasses I can borrow?? Max??
Doesn't your browser have a zoom in feature?

Dec 11, 2017
This fellow is putting on an pious pretentious display.
I would agree. The inside should be reflected on the outside, but the outside doesn't guarantee that the inside is right. You can be proud of dressing modestly or of being poor or of doing good deeds.

The Mennonites have a uniform that their ladies wear, for example, and they have a certain kind of lifestyle that their members are required to live in order to be a part of their sect, but that doesn't mean they're really modest or humble on the inside.

And if we're doing the right thing as Christians, there's no reason to boast about it, except in the Lord. Boasting about what we have and do is unspiritual for one thing, and if we're following the Lord it should be self-evident, and not need to be declared.

Dec 11, 2017

I already addressed the apostasy explanation in another post. You may want to read/re-read it.

Dec 11, 2017
I don't have a problem with the title,I have a problem with some of the list. Still haven't gotten past number 6. There is nothing wrong with being rich and it certainly doesn't make you an apostate.
How many good things does the New Testament have to say about the rich? (You may want to make a list of everything in the NT that refers to being rich, and see what conclusion you come to.)

preacher4truth

Dec 28, 2016
I already addressed the apostasy explanation in another post. You may want to read/re-read it.
With all due respect you need to understand what an apostate is prior to writing about what you think it is. You don't show an understanding of the meaning.

We have a young daughter who is 7. She gets a list of spelling words weekly from school. We ask her to spell the words and then define them. Then we have her use them in a sentence to show or demonstrate she understands the meaning.

You need to use apostate in a sentence that shows its meaning after you understand its meaning.

There is no such thing as an apostate Christian, and your list is erroneous.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017
With all due respect you need to understand what an apostate is prior to writing about what you think it is. You don't show an understanding of the meaning.

We have a young daughter who is 7. She gets a list of spelling words weekly from school. We ask her to spell the words and then define them. Then we have her use them in a sentence to show or demonstrate she understands the meaning.

You need to use apostate in a sentence that shows its meaning after you understand its meaning.

My explanation was clear to others. Apparently not so to you. I don't think I can make it any clearer than what I already explained. If that is what you believe, the Lord will have to show you otherwise.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
LightShinesInTheDarkness I gotta ask, why do you keep assuming people are offended? We are disagreeing with some of your assertions, not getting offended about them.

In fact, even if I were rich (which I'm not, far from it) I wouldn't be offended about your assertion #6. Frankly I don't know you and this thread on an internet forum is not worth the high blood pressure that comes with getting all offended about it. But if you make assertions that are patently false people WILL call you on them. That doesn't mean they are offended by what you said, it just means they think you are wrong.

Speaking of which, I still think you are wrong about a few of those items on your list. And I think you have an axe to grind, something about designating between real and fake christians. Why do you spend so much effort hunting out people you can point to and claim as fakes?

But that doesn't mean I'm offended by anything you said. I'm just expressing my opinion that you are wrong.

K

kaylagrl

How many good things does the New Testament have to say about the rich? (You may want to make a list of everything in the NT that refers to being rich, and see what conclusion you come to.)

The love of money is wrong, love is the key word. Several people in the Bible were said to be rich,women who supported Jesus ministry were rich. There is nothing wrong with being good in business and having money, its when you misuse your money that the problem comes in.

preacher4truth

Dec 28, 2016
My explanation was clear to others.
Looking at the responses here, this is just not true.

Apparently not so to you.
It was crystal clear to me that you don't know what an apostate is.

I don't think I can make it any clearer than what I already explained. If that is what you believe, the Lord will have to show you otherwise.
I'm certain I know what an apostate is, and it isn't a Christian as you falsely claim. Perhaps the LORD will show this to you.

But I get it, your theory and premise is so false, you don't want to answer questions now which expose your false premise. I mean, your entire OP is based off of a false premise.

Are you only comfortable tearing others down and not having to face your own erroneous conclusions while pointing your finger at them?

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
Looking at the responses here, this is just not true.

It was crystal clear to me that you don't know what an apostate is.

I'm certain I know what an apostate is, and it isn't a Christian as you falsely claim. Perhaps the LORD will show this to you.

But I get it, your theory and premise is so false, you don't want to answer questions now which expose your false premise. I mean, your entire OP is based off of a false premise.

Are you only comfortable tearing others down and not having to face your own erroneous conclusions while pointing your finger at them?
I read the definition of apostasy provide in post #2 and the occasional sin disclaimer is contained therein, so, yeah, its like...water tight and stuff.

F

FenceMan

I would agree. The inside should be reflected on the outside, but the outside doesn't guarantee that the inside is right. You can be proud of dressing modestly or of being poor or of doing good deeds.

The Mennonites have a uniform that their ladies wear, for example, and they have a certain kind of lifestyle that their members are required to live in order to be a part of their sect, but that doesn't mean they're really modest or humble on the inside.

And if we're doing the right thing as Christians, there's no reason to boast about it, except in the Lord. Boasting about what we have and do is unspiritual for one thing, and if we're following the Lord it should be self-evident, and not need to be declared.
Yeah, speaking of the Mennonites... Don't let the simple lifestyle and dress deceive you. Many of them are far wealthier than the "Evangelical" Christians I know, and they also keep up-to-date with the newest technological advances (this depends on the specific sect). Many of them are business savvy, too, but sadly also in love with money.

Obviously those are generalizations, but I think others can back me up on it.

Sep 14, 2017
It wasn't the fact that he was rich that was wrong with the rich young ruler,it was the fact that he loved his possessions and money more than God. Being rich is not wrong,loving your riches is what is wrong.
I agree. The point is many can't handle riches, so riches controls them.

Sep 14, 2017

I notice you have a bad habit of saying "you're wrong" without proving it. Reminds me of some people in the Not By Works thread.

Oh, wait, you're in that thread. Go figure.

Dec 11, 2017
LightShinesInTheDarkness I gotta ask, why do you keep assuming people are offended? We are disagreeing with some of your assertions, not getting offended about them.

In fact, even if I were rich (which I'm not, far from it) I wouldn't be offended about your assertion #6. Frankly I don't know you and this thread on an internet forum is not worth the high blood pressure that comes with getting all offended about it. But if you make assertions that are patently false people WILL call you on them. That doesn't mean they are offended by what you said, it just means they think you are wrong.

Speaking of which, I still think you are wrong about a few of those items on your list. And I think you have an axe to grind, something about designating between real and fake christians. Why do you spend so much effort hunting out people you can point to and claim as fakes?

But that doesn't mean I'm offended by anything you said. I'm just expressing my opinion that you are wrong.
No, I do not have an "axe to grind" against anyone, and my posts have nothing to do with "fake" Christians.

There are fake Christians, but my posts are not directed at them.

My messages are directed to TRUE Christians who are in need of repentance, to call them to wash their robes before God judges them (because He is getting ready to judge His own household, just as it says in 1 Peter), and to prepare for the Tribulation, which Christians are about to enter. The only ones with robes to wash are true Christians.

God is, even now, judging between sheep and sheep, and the lines of the battle are being drawn for the ultimate battle of the time soon to come---those who are on the Lord's side and those who are against Him (not in the words of their lips, but in their actions and their hearts). And this has nothing to do with the unsaved vs the saved:

The rebellion which proceeds the revealing of the antichrist has nothing to do with the unsaved. It has to do with true Christians who are in rebellion against God, not fake Christians or other unsaved people.

2 Timothy 3:1-5 is not about fake Christians, but about true Christians who are not obeying the Lord.

The rebukes of the Lord to the 5 churches in the Revelation were not directed to fake Christians, but to true Christians who were not obeying Him.

The falling away/apostasy/rebellion described in 2 Thessalonians (which we are in the midst of now) is of Christians against God, not of unsaved people (who have always been in rebellion against Him).

Jesus Christ is calling His own rebellious people to repent right now, and to return to Him, or perish (spiritually) when He judges them. It is time for judgement to begin with the household of God (true Christians); and if it begins with us (true Christians)---which it will---what will become of those who do not obey the gospel of God? (These are the unsaved).

My warnings and exhortations (which are not fear-mongering, but accurate and appropriate, as you will soon see) are addressed to people who have the Holy Spirit in them, not to people who do not. The action point of them is to wash your robe, if necessary, as God is calling His people to do, and to prepare yourself spiritually for the Great Tribulation (which all Christians are going to enter, and not be raptured beforehand).

(Why do I care about what other Christians are or aren't doing? Because Jesus does, and these are the things He has given me to make known to them, because that time of testing and of judgment is coming upon us, and most of His people are going to perish, spiritually. I explained all these things in detail in the thread "We Are In The Midst Of The Rebellion/Falling Away", so I won't do so again here. Whether anyone receives this warning or not, I can do nothing about.)

So, again, my posts have nothing to do with who's real and who's fake, but with who's in rebellion against the Lord and who isn't. Those who are, need to repent, before it's too late. Those who aren't, need to prepare themselves mentally and spiritually for the Tribulation, and the likelihood that they will be martyred for their faith during that time, and to be encouraged to stand their ground and to persevere. These are my messages to the saints, from the knowledge which the Lord has given me about these things to share with them---with the urgency and emphasis appropriate for the seriousness of the messages, and the shortness of the time.

"Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent." Revelation 3:19 (Addressed to true Christians in need of repentance, not to fake ones. God disciplines His own.)

"Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and that they may enter the city by the gates." (Again, this is addressed to true Christians, not fake ones. Only true Christians have robes to wash; the unsaved have no robes. And what will become of those who do not wash their robes?)