A burning to know...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
I'm not asking will I go to hell if I burn incense. I do not believe salvation is contingent upon burning or not burning incense. After reading from Isaiah 1, though, I am wondering if doing so displeases God.

"Since the death, burial and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ the veil between the Holy Place and the Holy of Holies has been removed (Matthew 27:50-51). The Law has been fulfilled (Matthew 5:17). It is no longer necessary to burn incense to approach God, as we read in Hebrews 9:11-14", says Got questions...

We do read in Isaiah that it is an abomination to God. Does this merely speak to the state of one's heart doing so? I think we see that with Aaron's sons.

Any thoughts?

Dec 12, 2013
I'm not asking will I go to hell if I burn incense. I do not believe salvation is contingent upon burning or not burning incense. After reading from Isaiah 1, though, I am wondering if doing so displeases God.

"Since the death, burial and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ the veil between the Holy Place and the Holy of Holies has been removed (Matthew 27:50-51). The Law has been fulfilled (Matthew 5:17). It is no longer necessary to burn incense to approach God, as we read in Hebrews 9:11-14", says Got questions...

We do read in Isaiah that it is an abomination to God. Does this merely speak to the state of one's heart doing so? I think we see that with Aaron's sons.

Any thoughts?
Did they not offer strange incense not commanded by GOD and that is why they were killed?

Now Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took their respective firepans, and after putting fire in them, placed incense on it and offered strange fire before the LORD, which He had not commanded them. And fire came out from the presence of the LORD and consumed them, and they died before the LORD.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019

Any thoughts?
It is an interesting question.

37 Do not make any incense with this formula for yourselves; consider it holy to the LORD.
38 Whoever makes any like it to enjoy its fragrance must be cut off from his people.
Exodus 30

13 Stop bringing meaningless offerings! Your incense is detestable to me.....
15 Your hands are full of blood;
Isaiah 1

Gods incense was holy to a formula we do not know, missing ingredient. God does not dislike incense of nice
smelling thing.

Gods dislike of the religion and expression of people is because of their evil deeds.
Incense had no significance, he rejected everything they did.

Incense for something other than smelling nice, is probably miss-leading though some christian groups like
using it. Unfortunately it adds a distraction to our immediacy and intimacy of our communion with God
wherever we are. Idolatry is easy to slip into, putting importance on ceremony and physical experience above
the spiritual nature of praise and worship. God bless you

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
IMO only I suppose:

Burning incense isn't a problem. The problem might come in WHY one is doing so.

Sometimes, just to make my Apartment smell good, I'll burn a stick.

What I don't do is burn it and then do some sort of chanting or such........that may be a problem. Would be fore me.

I think the Eastern Orthodox still burn incense in their Worship Services. Could be wrong about that, so don''t take it as Gospel or anything.

Kavik

Mar 25, 2017
The RC Church, and more so, the Eastern Orthodox, and Oriental Orthodox (Coptic, Syrian, Ethiopian) churches (as well as some Protestant churches as I understand it) still use incense in their liturgies. Said incense, however, is usually of a specific type used strictly for liturgical purposes, i.e. it’s not something you’d typically burn at home.

Some of these (particularly in the Orthodox rites) are ‘homemade’ (i.e. not commercially made) and are based on rather old “recipes” passed down through tradition. Most are of the ground resin/powdered variety – charcoal is lit in a ritual container (called a censer or thurible) and the resin/powder is spooned onto it. The result, unlike a stick or cone, is rather immediate and very smoky.

These particular types would probably not be appropriate to burn at home (even in stick/cone form), but if you’re just looking to enjoy the scent of a particular kind ('nag champa' from India comes to mind) or using it to freshen up the small of a room/house, I don’t see the issue. You’re not using it for liturgical/religious reasons.

Mar 28, 2016

Any thoughts?
To burn or not to burn does not draw us closer or move us further. . Incense used in ceremonial laws as a shadow represent our prayers. The "golden bowl" the prayers of all saints.

Reminded of the to some we are the smell of death the other the sweet fragrance of new life. Its like coming back from war and entering a person own home town Our loved ones tossing out Roses to remind of returning to family members .While those whose fate is certain the smell of death no reunion.

Aaron's sons desire a person touch through a oral tradition in false pride. They were consumed, the priestly garments un-scathed not a smell of smoke lingering.

Yahshua

Sep 22, 2013

Any thoughts?
There are specific instructions as to how to properly prepare the incense for service (Exodus 30:34-38; 37:29), so it wasn't about offering incense but the condition of their heart while going through the motions of their worship.

The people of Judah were steeped in abominable practices during this period, which is why they were called "you rulers of sodom...you people of gomorrah". They were participating in those disgusting things but then still attempted to follow the rituals and instructions of the Almighty.

The Almighty was like, "what are you doing!? Your offerings and sabbaths and incense and holidays are all rejected! They're like dung to me! It's all vain! A waste! I hate them all because you're filthy! Clean yourselves of your evil doings. Stop doing evil and I will forgive you."

They were living wretched lives during the week but then acting all holy when it was time for service.

7seasrekeyed

I use air freshner, candles and sometimes incense to cover up doggy smells in the house..especially if people are coming over

like that advert on TV, my husband and I are 'nose blind' but others aren't ;)

I don't think it's a big deal

I mean I have read things from people that say burning candles will call on demons but in the end, I really have no ulterior motive other than I like atmosphere and sometimes candles and a little scent in the home is nice

besides if the electric goes down, and it's night...common to light a candle or 2

is an interesting question though...I've asked it myself

Aug 11, 2019

Any thoughts?
Hi CharliRenee, I think for me it depends on why your burning incense. God did not like it because it was in reference to those doing it were worshiping idols and other Gods and sinning against God. The outward forms of religion are nothing without an inwards change of heart

Dec 9, 2011

Any thoughts?
GOD looks at your heart/motivation and man looks at outward appearances/actions.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
There shouldn't be anything wrong with burning incense for your personal enjoyment,
but I can't see that it has any place as a religious ceremony in the New Testament church.

If someone was burning incense as part of a religious ceremony, I think I would reserve my judgement dependent on WHY there were doing it, and WHAT they thought it meant.

If they think it saves them, or gains some kind of favor with God, that would be a problem.
If they just think it smells nice, and sets a nice mood or something for a service... I guess that's not really a very big deal.

We needn't be too uptight about things that don't matter.

Dec 12, 2013
The bible tells us exactly WHY they were KILLED......why can't we just accept the reason without all the "OPINION, supposition, guesses etc..."

THEY offered STRANGE fire upon the ALTAR and NOT in accordance with God's WILL.......NO different than the GUY that reached OUT to steady the ARK fro FALLING......HE was struck down INSTANTLY as well.......

AMAZING!!!!

7seasrekeyed

The bible tells us exactly WHY they were KILLED......why can't we just accept the reason without all the "OPINION, supposition, guesses etc..."

THEY offered STRANGE fire upon the ALTAR and NOT in accordance with God's WILL.......NO different than the GUY that reached OUT to steady the ARK fro FALLING......HE was struck down INSTANTLY as well.......

AMAZING!!!!

yeah yeah :censored:

you are good to go

putting helmet on and going dark

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
From the title of your OP, I got the impression that you were burning to know some esoteric secret hidden from mortal man.:D

Anyway, incense sticks are used in the pagan rituals of Eastern religions. But they are also used to perfume living areas. So it would depend on the use to which they are put.

Also the liturgy of the Orthodox and Catholic churches has patterned itself around temple worship, so they also use incense in their worship. Not that this is according to Bible Christianity, but there it is.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Thanks y'all for taking the time, it really did help bring some clarity. I need not throw away all my yummy smelling incense, lol...:D

God Bless you all. The book of Isaiah is another fascinating book packed with so much useful information. The key, for me to absorb it all, is taking time as I work through it.

Anyway, thanks again.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Your prayers are as incense to God. PSalm 141:2
In revelation 8:4 incense and prayers were offered to God. The incense got thrown away but God kept the prayers.

Jun 13, 2014

Any thoughts?
Burning incense to setting a place at the table for Jesus to sit and sup with you has no effect for or against the contentment God , BUT can be you very own 'GOOD THING' to do to fellowship with Him. There is a old Christian cliche that goes"God knows your heart". Further more..[2Co 3:17 NKJV] 17 Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord [is], there [is] liberty. When I lift weights I lift weight for Jesus, is God mad for this? LOL!! Blessings sister! [1Co 10:31 NKJV] 31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Burning incense to setting a place at the table for Jesus to sit and sup with you has no effect for or against the contentment God , BUT can be you very own 'GOOD THING' to do to fellowship with Him. There is a old Christian cliche that goes"God knows your heart". Further more..[2Co 3:17 NKJV] 17 Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord [is], there [is] liberty. When I lift weights I lift weight for Jesus, is God mad for this? LOL!! Blessings sister! [1Co 10:31 NKJV] 31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
Makes perfect sense to me Brother. Thank you.