A NON-CHARISMATIC UNDERSTANDING OF TONGUES

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

kaylagrl

The Pagans in the Mystery Religions in Corinth, were using ecstatic speech in their version of tongues, at least 400 years before Christ (gibberish). IT INFILTRATED THE CHURCH TOO, as many in the worship of Zeus, or Aphrodite, or Apollo, became Christians. Here is Jesus teaching not to Pray like the Pagans.

Matthew 6:7 (NIV)
7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling [battalogeo] like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words.
Notice. the Logeo in the GREEK languages is WORDS. Batta can be translated BABBLING. In the Mystery Religions in Corinth they actually taught their followers to speak in tongues with this METHOD:

Say Batta, Batta, Batta over and over again as FAST as you can, and the gods will turn it into into a heavenly languages that they can only understand!

Now what do you think JESUS meant when HE used the Greek Word - BATTALOGEO ? ? ?

How close were the Pagan Temples to the Church at Corinth? The Temple to APOLLO was less than a block away, and they were one of the main Pagan Religions that taught their followers to pray in tongues.

Ahh so now I'm a pagan. A babbling pagan who is cursing Christ by demonic power. Whelp nothing to be offended about there. smh Waste of breath.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
Gotta love how charismatics red x a truthful statement about the completed word of God.....zero honesty!!!!
Like the guy who red x'd my post about how we all get out of line occasionally? He must have been Jesus!

That red x came from me and I'm not Charismatic. I just don't think the gifts were intended to lend credence to a book. Or that this world has been redeemed - and thus returned to it's perfect state.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
Sadly you can say this about both sides.

1 cor 14: 18 I thank my God I speak with tongues more than you all; 19 yet in the church I would rather speak five words with my understanding, that I may teach others also, than ten thousand words in a tongue.

I think paul made it clear what his wish was for in the church, About teaching others. Not about a bunch of people speaking in tongues..

Sadly I fear people have forgotten what the church is all about.. And that is not just the charismatic group. Most “mainstream” churches I feat have forgotten, and they are falling because they have failed to become all things for all people
That's the picture I get. The Corinthians were babbling incessantly in the assembly and Paul was correcting that. Tongues in the assembly are for interpretation only to edify the assembly. Private tongues between you and God belong in a private setting - not an assembly.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
It is blasphemous if you are speaking against the Holy Spirit. To say tongues is either of satan or something the speaker is making up is speaking against the Holy Spirit.
And that's what a lot of these people don't get. For sure, there are falsehoods and counterfeits and those do need to be exposed and corrected or silenced. But this idea of throwing the baby out with the bathwater ... a VERY dangerous position to hold!

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
What I don't understand is why angels would need to have a language. What I understand even less is why any of us would need to speak in an angel language. If anyone could answer these questions I would be not only grateful, but amazed.
My belief is that tongues are our native language. When Adam and Eve were created and as their numbers grew they maintained that singular language. It wasn't until Babel that that changed. When Christ returns and restores creation to perfection, one of the things restored will be that singular language. It's my theory that tongues are the ability to tap into that restored language now thru the Holy Spirit.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
I would like someone to quote a few scriptures of angels talking to men and men not understanding them......every time they spoke in the bible it was understood by all that heard it.........
Is it possible that like the account of Acts 2, the hearers were acting as their own interpreters?

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
Now you can see why I do NOT want to debate, nor discuss this issue with them. It always ends like this, and some times worse, but extremely rare will someone say in a loving manor, "I believe the opposite of you, so we will just have to agree to disagree."

I examined the bath water, and what was in it, is a very used Rubber Doll.
You should know better than to think you can post such a contentious issue AND NOT EXPECT DEBATE. You don't need a forum, you need a soapbox.

No offense but someone who's been here as long as you have should know what you proposed was impossible to deliver.

Jul 23, 2018
Ahh so now I'm a pagan. A babbling pagan who is cursing Christ by demonic power. Whelp nothing to be offended about there. smh Waste of breath.
When I got the baptism in the Holy Spirit,it was the most wonderful thing that ever happened to me. Everything changed. The sky was blue-er,the trees greener,the Joy and anointing was like an electric wire. I drove about 2 blocks to a convenience store and can still see a man walking in front of my truck. I thought " I love that man so much" LOL
Don't let em steal your joy.

Dec 12, 2013
Wie ich schon sagte, entweder von Gott oder von Satan. Und ich würde aufpassen, welches Pferd ich unterstützte. Den Heiligen Geist zu lästern ist eine sehr ernste Sache.
The blaspheme the Spirit is to equate the work of Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit unto the devil and a state of unbelief....

Dec 12, 2013
No, you're not stating facts you're stating your opinion. Nice try yourself. Yes, you could except the Bible doesn't say tongues have ceased.
Sure it has.....not my fault hyper religious people cannot accept the words cease, vanish away and fail......!!!!

E

eternally-gratefull

That's the picture I get. The Corinthians were babbling incessantly in the assembly and Paul was correcting that. Tongues in the assembly are for interpretation only to edify the assembly. Private tongues between you and God belong in a private setting - not an assembly.
Um the context of that passage is corporate tongues in a church service.

K

kaylagrl

Sure it has.....not my fault hyper religious people cannot accept the words cease, vanish away and fail......!!!!

Right, just like it's not my fault people can't understand the simple word "perfect." ;)

K

kaylagrl

And that's what a lot of these people don't get. For sure, there are falsehoods and counterfeits and those do need to be exposed and corrected or silenced. But this idea of throwing the baby out with the bathwater ... a VERY dangerous position to hold!

Yes, they should be exposed and silenced. A lot of that has to do with the pastor of the church. Most won't speak up today. Anything goes. I've been in churches like this where there was no order. But that's not Biblical. So we don't use those as examples. But people have certainly showed themselves in this thread. smh When you're so defensive about your belief you can't even discuss it without being nasty,something ought to check your spirit.Sad.

E

eternally-gratefull

Yes, they should be exposed and silenced. A lot of that has to do with the pastor of the church. Most won't speak up today. Anything goes. I've been in churches like this where there was no order. But that's not Biblical. So we don't use those as examples. But people have certainly showed themselves in this thread. smh When you're so defensive about your belief you can't even discuss it without being nasty,something ought to check your spirit.Sad.
And thats the problem. On both sides of the debate..

Its one thing when salvation is in question. But this is a non salvic subject. And to be hating on each other is just not right.

K

kaylagrl

And thats the problem. On both sides of the debate..

Its one thing when salvation is in question. But this is a non salvic subject. And to be hating on each other is just not right.
Well good night if it was salvic how much nastier could it get?! I can get along with anyone that says "let's agree to disagree,I don't see what you see". But not here. Not in the BDF. I often think I hope new Christians or non-Christians never come here. It's the last place they'll find the love of God. And the pity is these people have been on the road long enough to know better!! In 20yrs of ministry I traveled in all denominations from Catholic to Pentecostal and all points in between. And yet never have I seen the nasty spirit and the arrogance I have witness in the BDF. So much for encouraging each other in the faith. smh Some of you must be awful unhappy in your day to day lives. EG at least you and I can both agree and disagree with kindness,I hope we can always keep it that way. Blessings.

E

eternally-gratefull

Well good night if it was salvic how much nastier could it get?! I can get along with anyone that says "let's agree to disagree,I don't see what you see". But not here. Not in the BDF. I often think I hope new Christians or non-Christians never come here. It's the last place they'll find the love of God. And the pity is these people have been on the road long enough to know better!! In 20yrs of ministry I traveled in all denominations from Catholic to Pentecostal and all points in between. And yet never have I seen the nasty spirit and the arrogance I have witness in the BDF. So much for encouraging each other in the faith. smh Some of you must be awful unhappy in your day to day lives. EG at least you and I can both agree and disagree with kindness,I hope we can always keep it that way. Blessings.
Sadly, As with any type of christian chat I have been involved, that is the norm. I agree with you..it is sad to think people come in and see this nonsense. Yet I think satan loves it, Thats why it gets on my nerves so much, and why I have so many in my ignore bin..

K

kaylagrl

Sadly, As with any type of christian chat I have been involved, that is the norm. I agree with you..it is sad to think people come in and see this nonsense. Yet I think satan loves it, Thats why it gets on my nerves so much, and why I have so many in my ignore bin..

People say things online they would never say face to face. I learned that the hard way when I had a family upset. I got online with a family member and he said some horrible things which I answered in kind because I was hurt. The next thing we know no one is speaking to the other and they wouldn't even visit. We realized it had gotten out of hand and apologized. We agreed we tell the children to get along and act right and we were being a horrible example. That was years ago and we haven't had an upset like that since. Social media can be a real curse. I'm hoping if we all met in a coffee shop we'd have better manners.