A question for the Gothic Christians.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Hi,

I hope it's not disrespectful to start a new thread about this, but I was afraid my question might otherwise get a little lost.

I can see how Goth Christians probably get a lot of criticism from other Christians (and my point is not to debate anyone, but just to sit back, listen, and learn--I've found out over time that I'm much better at asking questions and observing than I am at debate), so, I was wondering what happens from the other side.

Do you get a lot of criticism from true Goths who say, "Oh, if you're a Christian, you can't be Goth?"

How do you respond?

Thanks!

D

Dragoon9

Hi SeoulSearch,

Sorry I got a bit distracted in the other forum. I really shouldn't answer posts late at night ;)

No, I've never had that response, but I've also not been in 'serious' goth hang-outs for awhile though either... Christ, marriage and kids tend to change priorities.

I'll run through one of the discussions I had with a Goth friend though. We were working together, and she mentioned that she felt really weirded out. She really hated Christians, but she had found that the last 3-4 months all the people she had built friendships with were Christian.

I looked her in the eye, and said from experience that God was 'hunting' her. She didn't laugh or flinch though. She paused. Looked very serious, and said, "I know."

Before we moved away, we had several great meetings with her and her husband. In the end, the only thing holding her back from openly accepting Christ was fear... fear that her husband would leave her if she became Christian.

I trust God to continue the work he began in them though. May God be praised.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
That's a pretty neat story, thank you for sharing. One thing I have noticed about people from goth and other various associations--they seem to be highly and acutely spiritually aware, you know? Which opens the door for some very interesting conversations and, I'm sure encounters from God.

I have always been very drawn to people with some "alternative" belief systems and appreciate the opportunity to learn a little more about them without sounding like a complete idiot :).

I will never forget an online conversation I had with a woman who considered herself to be a high-ranking Wiccan (sorry if I'm getting the terms wrong and NO, I'm NOT trying to compare Goth to Wicca at all, I'm just mentioning this because it seems so many people are afraid of Goths and Wiccans) and she told me the reason she had chosen that belief system is because of its adherence to the belief in female empowerment.

You see, she'd been molested as a very young child and her entire (Catholic) family had not only blamed her, but said that surely she had done something to cause it to happen.

As Christians, of course we do have to set a line and standard of what we know God does and does not approve of, but I always try to keep in mind that people usually choose what they believe for a reason, and sometimes a very painful one.

Thanks for the input--hopefully it will help me be a little more "in the know" the next time I get to talk to other Goths.

Thank you also for the compliment on my username earlier. It's a reflection of searching for who I am as a whole--spirit, heart, soul, and Seoul. ;)

D

Dragoon9

Why have so many people turned to Wicca, Goth, or other alternatives to 'normal' society? Why have they not turned to Christ?

I think the answer is twofold.

1) Most people do not actually know the gospel. What they know is a distorted 'Hollywood' Christianity that they hear from the mass media and popular culture.

2) 'Christians'. There are many who are convinced they 'are' Christian because they attend church, or their country is 'Christian', or their parents are Christian... yet who live un-repentant and unregenerative lives. Such negative witness has built many stumbling blocks to people hearing Christ.

Of course, there are always those whose hearts are merely hardened, and salvation will always be the narrow road, but it is God's desire that we go forth and make disciples of all nations, teaching them to obey everything that Christ has commanded.