A question for younger believers

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Homewardbound

Dec 10, 2018
I have a question for you. (or multiple questions)
I am a men's small group leader. Right now there are 6 of us that meet regularly. (yes, face to face over coffee).
Over the last few weeks I have been inviting a few men mostly in their 30's (BTW I am twice that plus) to join us.
I get a rather neutral response.
I have been advised by someone I trust that social media allows folks to interact "real time" and that face to face ministry is a thing of the past.
Is that true?
If so, what would be a reason you would do a face to face fellowship. What are things you would find of value in this.
Sorry if I sound out of touch here, but I guess I am, since I am asking this.

I hope you can help me here.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I would choose a face-to-face group over a virtual group in a heartbeat. However, I'm closer to your age than to the group to whom you reached out.

Homewardbound

Dec 10, 2018
I would choose a face-to-face group over a virtual group in a heartbeat. However, I'm closer to your age than to the group to whom you reached out.
Thanks for the response!
There is much to be said for face to face that is for sure.
With so much interconnection by the social media these days I was just wondering if younger folks found face to face to be irrelevant.

Ellorah

Jan 28, 2019
South Carolina
My opinion is face to face is so much better !! To join hands in prayer prior to any biblical discussion. To feel your brothers and sisters in Christ hands on your shoulder as they pray for you. Virtual reality can never top this 🙏🙏🙏

Homewardbound

Dec 10, 2018
My opinion is face to face is so much better !! To join hands in prayer prior to any biblical discussion. To feel your brothers and sisters in Christ hands on your shoulder as they pray for you. Virtual reality can never top this 🙏🙏🙏
Agreed!
I was just a bit disturbed by my young friend's statement that face to face was becoming a thing of the past. That is why I started this thread.
Not that God can't meet a need through social media, but there is nothing more powerful than gathering together!
Thanks for the response Ellorah!

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
I am a men's small group leader. Right now there are 6 of us that meet regularly. (yes, face to face over coffee).
Over the last few weeks I have been inviting a few men mostly in their 30's (BTW I am twice that plus) to join us.
I have been advised by someone I trust that social media allows folks to interact "real time" and that face to face ministry is a thing of the past.
Is that true?
If so, what would be a reason you would do a face to face fellowship. What are things you would find of value in this.

Interaction via social media and interaction face to face in real life are two completely different interactions even if they're mostly real time. As for a preference for virtual vs face to face interaction among younger generations; it's easier and less emotionally costly. If some stranger on the internet is telling me I"m being an idiot I can write them off as not understanding. If they disagree with me, there's a button to make them go away so I don't have to consider that fact that I might be wrong or narrow minded (that's only other people who disagree with me who are like that). Of course much not quite real time social media interaction also lets me talk about me all the time and well if I'm interested in someone else I can find out what they have to say when I want. It's very impersonal, but I think it also has the ability to make people feel more visible and significant (after all the whole world (or my x thousand friends at least) can read about what's going on with me so they must all care.

I also want to say something about how social media can allow us to begin and keep our social lives with the same people even when we move away from each other. So now when I graduate college, I don't have to leave all my friends behind because we can text each other as easily across 3 states as we can across campus.

You can probably tell I'm not so much a fan of social media, but there are good things about it and like many other things in life it's a wonderful tool but a terrible master.

Just out of curiosity, was the person who told you face to face is a thing of the past of the age group you were trying to recruit or an outsider looking in?

love_comes_softly

Feb 13, 2019
Face to face is much better and more meaningful! I'd say that you were lead by the Lord to have these gatherings and you should continue, those that are supposed to be there will be there. I wish there were more of these around my area.

Face to face makes things real, tangible. It's so much more comforting to know you have the support and encouragement of someone right there.

The Lord uses online aspects, but it's different.

Kojikun

Oct 5, 2018
Is that true?

I just turned 30 myself and having online interaction was great the first few years after highschool but I realized how much we miss out on that being said I have no car and few friends in this town but really love spending time with others and I would a church interaction (or any interaction) in real life. Its a sign of a rather unfortunate generation that doesn't really understand that everything has pros and cons

Kojikun

Oct 5, 2018
Interaction via social media and interaction face to face in real life are two completely different interactions even if they're mostly real time. As for a preference for virtual vs face to face interaction among younger generations; it's easier and less emotionally costly. If some stranger on the internet is telling me I"m being an idiot I can write them off as not understanding. If they disagree with me, there's a button to make them go away so I don't have to consider that fact that I might be wrong or narrow minded (that's only other people who disagree with me who are like that). Of course much not quite real time social media interaction also lets me talk about me all the time and well if I'm interested in someone else I can find out what they have to say when I want. It's very impersonal, but I think it also has the ability to make people feel more visible and significant (after all the whole world (or my x thousand friends at least) can read about what's going on with me so they must all care.

I also want to say something about how social media can allow us to begin and keep our social lives with the same people even when we move away from each other. So now when I graduate college, I don't have to leave all my friends behind because we can text each other as easily across 3 states as we can across campus.

You can probably tell I'm not so much a fan of social media, but there are good things about it and like many other things in life it's a wonderful tool but a terrible master.

Just out of curiosity, was the person who told you face to face is a thing of the past of the age group you were trying to recruit or an outsider looking in?
Yeah I think thats whats making so kany people soft (myself included) its easier to turn off an unwanted opinion. We need some toughness

Homewardbound

Dec 10, 2018

He is a young man I am trying to get interested in coming aboard with us.
You hit on a few good things for me to consider. Thanks for the input!

Homewardbound

Dec 10, 2018
Yeah I think thats whats making so kany people soft (myself included) its easier to turn off an unwanted opinion. We need some toughness
One thing about the group I am facilitating, is that we stress the idea that the group is a place to grow but in a non threatening way.
Not all of us in the group are at the same spiritual level, so we feed off of each others strengths. I also give each man a chance to "take the lead" on the evening we meet, this give the man a skill he can take with him. By leading in a group he is familiar and comfortable in, he can know he will have success.
Thanks for the input, Fellow Believer!

Brandon123

May 15, 2019
No hugs and handshakes online...the meaningful relationships I have or had have have always been in person...

H

Hamarr

I agree with pretty much everyone else here. I attend groups online with people around the US. It’s better than not meeting, but meeting face to face is a lot better. Human touch is important, as mentioned. Handshakes, hugs, etc.