A (short) testimony of what God has done in my life

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 16, 2019
I would like to share my testimony. I hope that’s ok.

I was born with severe mental illnesses. Mental illness in children is rare, and even rarer in little girls, but I won the lottery, so to speak, and that’s me.

I have been very sick for a very long time. I have had hallucinations and delusions. I have had psychotic breaks. I have hurt the people around me. I have had intrusive terrible thoughts and compulsions to to horrible things and have always been different from those around me. I am an alcoholic and a drug addict as well (these things often go together).

But what Satan intended for evil, God intended for good.

God has blessed me tremendously. I have earned my bachelor’s degree, then my law degree. I have a family that is complicated and frightening but that loves me. I have a pet, and an apartment, and I live on my own as a real adult. None of these things would be possible without God. He has been my shining light, the shelter in the storm, my solid rock. And I have had the great pleasure and gift of being able to share what God has done for me in my life with others, a gift I did not deserve and never could have earned.

And he has promised me that I won’t need to live like this forever, and I cling to that promise with everything I have.

Thank you for reading. Please pray for me. Especially today, as I am going through trials and tribulations before Him.

If my story speaks to you, I would be happy to answer questions or tell you more about my life. Thank you again for you attention. God bless you.

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
"Thank you for your testimony. An interesting journey, and always a blessing when anyone
shares the part of God being a part of ones life...'Amen'. I believe you have learned to apply
God's 'principles' of living life as we have been instructed by the 'inspiration' of the teachings
of Christ our Lord God. May your life be filled with God's love and wisdom, and the will to overcome
any difficulties you may be experiencing." Friendly.png
'Praise God' :) dove%20circle%20frame - Copy - Copy (3) - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy.jpg

Cyndy

Jun 9, 2019
I will certainly pray for you. God has done tremendous things in your life, and I know He will continue to do so. Just keep clinging to Him.

Proverbs 3:5-6 5Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.

G

Godsgirl83

Hello. Welcome to CC! Thank you for opening up and sharing with us. I hope to see you around more on the forums.
Blessings!

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
Hi Pancakelover. I've just joined the site yesterday, and wanted to thank you for your testimony. My own life was a complete mess when I invited Jesus into my life. Also, I myself was a complete mess, and He had a lot of work to do changing me. (He's certainly not finished yet.) So all of this meant that I identified strongly with your testimony, though my own is different. From the outside, my life looked OK, even 'successful', but the inside was very different. My marriage was going badly, I hated the work I was doing, I was drinking too much alcohol, and I had no idea what life was about. I was in love with material possessions, because I could look at them and tell myself the LIE that all those material things meant I was doing OK. Sometimes I could almost believe it.

Then I crashed my new company car, and, standing in the middle of the road, had to face up to the fact that I was probably a quarter of the way through my life, and that all of it so far was rubbish. I asked Jesus to come into my life and just use me for something worthwhile. He did! HALLELUJAH! That was over 40 years ago, and I still haven't got over the amazement that Jesus came looking for me, when I certainly wasn't looking for Him. My wife was a Christian already, and was delighted with the changes she began to see in me. A few months later, God dealt with the big one - my love of things as the basis of my security and self-worth. He called us to give up our jobs, sell our home, and go to work full-time as volunteers in a project for single homeless men. I subsequently became a social worker, then later a counsellor and psychotherapist in private practice. Now we are both retired, and both of us are lay ministers in the Anglican Church.

Our experience is that God works ALL things together for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28) - including all the problems we brought with us when we came to Him! So this is to say to you that God uses all those problems to mold us into the instruments of His love that He has destined us to become, (See Romans 8:29) for the specific ministry He has prepared in advance for us to do. (See Ephesians 2:10) They published a book about my testimony in 2007, with a second edition in 2013. Amazon still have it in stock - but you can get a pdf copy free by clicking this link: http://www.livingjesus.co.uk/transformed.pdf

What a wonderful adventure is life with the Lord, our wonderful Saviour and Master! I know that God will bless and use the unique ministry for which He is preparing you to glorify His wonderful name, and to bless many people who need Him.
Friendly.png

"Amen"
"Thank you for your testimony. A spiritual 'miracle' has to be lived. Each day, now over two decades,
I give thanks to God for coming into my life through a 'spiritual enlightenment' that has changed my
life."
'Praise God'
563e0526621ea_man_praying_silhouette-resized-600-Copy_jpg_0b82847a16daaa9ce48d0ca8f14dc4d5 - C...png

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.

I was born with severe mental illnesses. Mental illness in children is rare, and even rarer in little girls, but I won the lottery, so to speak, and that’s me.

I have been very sick for a very long time. I have had hallucinations and delusions. I have had psychotic breaks. I have hurt the people around me. I have had intrusive terrible thoughts and compulsions to to horrible things and have always been different from those around me. I am an alcoholic and a drug addict as well (these things often go together).

God has blessed me tremendously. I have earned my bachelor’s degree, then my law degree. I have a family that is complicated and frightening but that loves me. I have a pet, and an apartment, and I live on my own as a real adult. None of these things would be possible without God. He has been my shining light, the shelter in the storm, my solid rock. And I have had the great pleasure and gift of being able to share what God has done for me in my life with others, a gift I did not deserve and never could have earned.

And he has promised me that I won’t need to live like this forever, and I cling to that promise with everything I have.

Thank you for reading. Please pray for me. Especially today, as I am going through trials and tribulations before Him.

If my story speaks to you, I would be happy to answer questions or tell you more about my life. Thank you again for you attention. God bless you.
Thank you for sharing. You are not the only one here who has struggled with mental health and addiction. Jesus is Lord of recovery! Come by and visit CRA on the Miscellaneous forum sometime. Welcome home :love:

Leastamongmany

Jun 2, 2019
Usa

blessing my daughter! My son whom the Lord took was the same. Your testimony moved my soul to tears ! He suffered with drugs to try and stop the voices. He became a Christian and worked among those like himself that God would be shown as love. You are among those to whom Jesus would have went into your house. I will hold you up before Him. His love is so unmeasurable! Thank you so mych.((((((((((hugs))))))))))

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013

Wow!! That was a fantastic testimony! Thank you so much for sharing! May the Lord continue to use you and bless you.

Cyndy

Jun 9, 2019
All your testimonies are so inspiring. I am overwhelmed by the love God shows each and everyone of us. He pulls us out of the most murky, slimy pits of darkness and despair and offers us life and hope. Praise Him! Now and then I feel the tentacles of evil influences encroaching and have to stay steadfast in my faith, distancing myself from those harmful thoughts and actions. But I keep repeating the verse from Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Leastamongmany

Jun 2, 2019
Usa
All your testimonies are so inspiring. I am overwhelmed by the love God shows each and everyone of us. He pulls us out of the most murky, slimy pits of darkness and despair and offers us life and hope. Praise Him! Now and then I feel the tentacles of evil influences encroaching and have to stay steadfast in my faith, distancing myself from those harmful thoughts and actions. But I keep repeating the verse from Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Amen! Hold FAST your profession of FAITH!🙏🙏😊

Silverwings

Jul 27, 2016

Yes, your testimony did speak to me, and would like to know more about you, if you wish to share? You mention mental illness, did your parents either one have any mental issues? Do you think your childhood contributed to the illness? You mention that your family is frightening, would you mind to elaborate on that?

The reason I am so interested is because of my family history, and trying to figure thru it all. My dad was a verbal alcoholic, who was abusive to my mother when he was intoxicated, she and I would often leave when he was in one of these moods, and go to her sisters until he had time to calm down and be sensible, he refused however to allow my little sister to leave with us, I think that she may have been sexually abused if not by him maybe by some of his buddies?

He ended up taking his life when I was 10 and she was 7, mom left her alone with him in the house, and he was laying in his own blood, this greatly tramutized her , and she was not offered counseling at the time, mom had a lot of issues that were never resolved, and my sister ended up marrying at a very young age, and her husband was several years older than she was, and abused her too, all of this accumulated on her and her nerves were in terrible shape, she became afraid to eat at one time and mama had to eat some of her food before she would eat it, and she was afraid to go anywhere unless mama went with her, or later she remarried and then depended upon her husband for his support, she heard voices, and was very handicapped by her mind, it took years of therapy for her to be able to live any kind of normal life at all, but God and the therapists finally brought her to a place of peace, where she could function pretty normal, but still to this day is not comfortable going anywhere alone. I see this as her trip thru hell and back, and am so very thankful that she survived and is now able to live pretty normal. So anything having to do with the mind gets my attention,

Feb 28, 2016
so sorry Silverwings, many hugs from us both -
these stories have long reaching arms that many of us can relate to
as children and into adulthood with so much trauma and heart-ache
to be over-come -
it's no wonder at all, that when Christ begins to call and speak to us
that we feel so humbled by His gracious Sacrifice-love and forgiveness,
He truly is our One and Only Hope in this wicked, fallen world...

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
You wrote an absolutely amazing testimony. Thank you for being brave enough to share it with us. God has indeed blessed you greatly. Proud to have you join our family. Welcome to CC.

K

Kim82

I join with you in giving God thanks for what He has done in your life. What a mighty God we serve!

Apr 17, 2019

Apr 17, 2019
Hi Pancake:

Thank you for sharing your story; you inspire many to achieve great things! As a college professor, I sometimes deal with students who suffer from a variety of mental illnesses. When they approach me asking for accommodation, I always start by asking them if they have sought out professional help to try to ascertain if their condition originates from faulty brain chemistry, genetic factors, and possibly even diet. The challenge is that science is just beginning to unravel the mysteries of mental problems. Getting properly diagnosed and treated can be a long, complicated process that frequently takes one down potential health pathways that lead to treatments that are not very helpful.

For those students who are Christian, I sometimes remind them that some faithful servants of God in Bible times, such as Epaphroditus, suffered forms of mental distress.—Philippians 2:25, 26; Luke 2:48. But all of us are dying to one degree or another. The Apostle Paul reminds us that "In Adam all are dying, (1 Corinthians 15:22). Many of us have obvious physical ailments, while others suffer from mental or emotional sickness.

I wish you well my spiritual sister!