Among other "bad news," a tat is a blood-letting ritual that gives devils (aka demons) an open door. I am involved in a ministry of deliverance and tats are classic access points (pun intended) for unclean spirits.
it can be a bloodletting ritual. I can assure you that the vast majority of the billions of tattoos in America were not part of a ritual. I do not disagree with your premise. But unless someone involved in the tattoo is seeking some ritualized reason for getting the tat its not a part of that equation. At best tattoos from a biblical standpoint were forbidden because like earrings, they represented slavery or ownership by someone. Kind of like branding cattle.
I have 6 tats, they have meaning to me and are special reminders of things i've experienced, good and bad. They are deliberately not in view when i'm dressed in normal clothing. They arent for making a statement. They are for remembering point in time that are deeply significant to me.
Having a gun doesn't make you a murderer anymore that getting a tattoo is a blood letting ritual. (unless of course you are actually performing one). Intent and context play a part. If I am doing this to show my love of Jesus, its it isn't a blood letting ritual.
If you are wise in the Lord, you will not get any tat. If you don't like being told what the word of God says on the issue (there is much more), then you will ignore or rationalize everything that does not pander to your fleshly desire. You have been warned.
This is a false dichotomy and assumes you are the vanguard of truth on the subject. I am wise in the lord could always learn more though, and I'm going to get another tat. I know what the bible says. That i do not agree with your take, is not rationalizing. Having a reason to get a tattoo is not rationalizing it is answer to the question "Why get a tattoo?". It's not a fleshly desire it's a spiritual desire in this case. You must be mistaking me for a drug addict who doesn't know why he is doing what he is doing.
More to my point though, this thread isn't about whether its is a sin or bad to get a tattoo, i specifically noted that in the original posting, but you being wise decided to ignore that part. The reason is because I already know there are people who oppose tattoos in fact i know my side and your side of the argument. this wasn't a debate on sin, it was what would you think if you saw such a tattoo. Its ok if you think its sinful bloodletting... I get it. That's all you would have had to say.
Now just because you poked me like that. My turn.
Tattoos had social implications on Israel. While some pagan cultures used them as a right of passage, God doesn't want his people to look like they are practicing pagan things. Nor does he want his people branded for ownership. Now, our society today hardly see tattoos as some ritual and depending on what the tattoo is of may or may not be in good taste. What you have done is import pagan practices into the biblical narrative of the bible to support biased view of tattoos in our modern day.
The context of tattoos being forbidden by God is part of the holiness code given to Israel, which includes a series of laws designed to
set the Israelites apart from the pagan cultures surrounding them. The practices described—cutting the body and marking it—were associated with mourning rituals and idol worship, common among Canaanite and other ancient cultures (1 Kings 18:28). These actions were often tied to rituals honoring the dead or invoking pagan gods, and the Israelites were commanded to avoid these practices to remain spiritually pure and distinct as God's people.
I am not of Israel; the mosaic law has never applied to anyone but Israel. The New Testament does not mention anything about tattoos it is silent. So I as a gentile have never been told by the bible it is wrong.