Abomination of Desolation

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

eternally-gratefull

Only in the dispensationalist eyes does one week mean 7 years instead of 7 days. :)
Lol

The whole 70 week period deals with 1 weak = 7 years, gabriel did not change that at the end of his discussion

And 7 days/7 years does not matter anyway

Neither interpretation fits what jesus did, which was ETERNAL

E

eternally-gratefull

Thanks KJV.

Again though, it has to be either Jesus or Titus being discussed relative to the week as they are the only two in focus in v 26. If you look at Young's it really seems to point more at Titus. Before we look at YLT, it is important to note that the 69 weeks of years had concluded. There is no way the final or missing week was a literal week IMHO. The measurement for the chapter is 1 week = 7 years.

26 And after the sixty and two weeks, cut off is Messiah, and the city and the holy place are not his, the Leader who hath come doth destroy the people; and its end [is] with a flood, and till the end [is] war, determined [are] desolations.

27 And he hath strengthened a covenant with many -- one week, and [in] the midst of the week he causeth sacrifice and present to cease, and by the wing of abominations he is making desolate, even till the consummation, and that which is determined is poured on the desolate one.'

In this literal translation, it seems clear Titus is in focus as the one who desolates with his flood of solders. We know also that on the wing of the temple he placed his pagan ensigns while the temple burned.
Nope

Titus did not place an idol in the temple holy place, he destroyed the temple completely,

Nov 23, 2013
Thanks KJV.

Again though, it has to be either Jesus or Titus being discussed relative to the week as they are the only two in focus in v 26. If you look at Young's it really seems to point more at Titus. Before we look at YLT, it is important to note that the 69 weeks of years had concluded. There is no way the final or missing week was a literal week IMHO. The measurement for the chapter is 1 week = 7 years.

26 And after the sixty and two weeks, cut off is Messiah, and the city and the holy place are not his, the Leader who hath come doth destroy the people; and its end [is] with a flood, and till the end [is] war, determined [are] desolations.

27 And he hath strengthened a covenant with many -- one week, and [in] the midst of the week he causeth sacrifice and present to cease, and by the wing of abominations he is making desolate, even till the consummation, and that which is determined is poured on the desolate one.'

In this literal translation, it seems clear Titus is in focus as the one who desolates with his flood of solders. We know also that on the wing of the temple he placed his pagan ensigns while the temple burned.
There is a huge difference between the KJV and YLT. Question is which one is right?

I believe all of the 70 weeks are literal weeks. Jesus confirmed the covenant in 7 literal days. 7 literal weeks later would be the day of Christ's ascension. I haven't figure out the the 62 weeks yet but I have a feeling it has something to do with the start of his ministry.... not sure on that one.

I respect your views PW, I just don't agree with them. :)

PlainWord

Jun 11, 2013
KJV. I think we can show this by doing the math. Dan 9:24, among other things, tells us exactly the last year that God would accept animal sacrifices to cover iniquity. The central premise of this passage is that the Jews would have 70 X 7 or 490 years from the issuing of the decree to rebuild Jerusalem in which to offer sacrifice “to atone for wickedness.”

Daniel is likely working with two calendars, the lunar and solar, as the Jews did back then. The order to rebuild was issued by the king Artaxerxes in 444 B.C. There are 354 days in the lunar calendar. If you take your 70 weeks of years you need 490 lunar years. Converting them to our modern year of 365.25 days we get 475.

475 years – 444 B.C. = A.D. 31.

Because there is no year zero, one year must be added to the total:

A.D. 31 + 1 year = A.D. 32

Thus A.D. 32 is the final year in which God would honor the blood of bulls and goats as a sin offering. This would be the final year in which “your people [the Jews] and your holy city [Jerusalem]” were “to atone for wickedness.” Christ then died in 33 AD.

Now if we use the solar calendar which the Egyptians and Babylonians used and the Jews having been captive to both, we have 360 days to a year. Taking the “seven ‘sevens,’ and sixty-two ‘sevens’” we get (7 X 7) + (62 X 7) or 483 years. Do the math and you get 476 modern years.

476 years – 444B.C. = A.D. 32

Since there is no year zero, one year must be added to the date above:

A.D. 32 + 1 year = A.D. 33

"And after the sixty-two weeks Messiah shall be cut of..."

Thus we get to AD 33 again. Nothing says that the events of v 26 and v 27 have to take place during the 7 X 70s. Thus the destruction of Israel is outside and beyond the 7 X 70.

Nothing says the covenant week of verse 27 is part of the other weeks. The other weeks are clearly connected. So, here's my theory.

Daniel used two calendars, the Jewish (lunar) and the Babylonian (solar). When he's told in v 24 that seventy weeks were determined, the Jewish calendar applies. When he's told, "after sixty-two weeks" in v 26, the solar calendar was in play. Thus, there is no missing 70th week.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
I have no idea what the term dispensationalist means.
Sorry for the laugh... it was in support of you. It looks like globally people are getting tired of slapping terms on literally every discussion and all of us being forced to use them, myself included. I almost regret that I've learned some of them! It's like the learned have been making grand theories and trying for a while to exclude everyone else from the conversation but themselves...
I'm on board with the babes in Christ ;)

PlainWord

Jun 11, 2013
There is a huge difference between the KJV and YLT. Question is which one is right?

I believe all of the 70 weeks are literal weeks. Jesus confirmed the covenant in 7 literal days. 7 literal weeks later would be the day of Christ's ascension. I haven't figure out the the 62 weeks yet but I have a feeling it has something to do with the start of his ministry.... not sure on that one.

I respect your views PW, I just don't agree with them. :)
LOL. Same.

Well the command went out in 444 BC so you are going to have trouble getting your math to work good buddy:p.

PlainWord

Jun 11, 2013
Nope

Titus did not place an idol in the temple holy place, he destroyed the temple completely,
He didn't need to place idols inside the temple. They were placed exactly where Daniel predicted, on the wing or outer edge. The gate to the temple fits perfectly.

Then he shall confirm a covenant with many for one week;
But in the middle of the week
He shall bring an end to sacrifice and offering.
And on the wing of abominations shall be one who makes desolate,
Even until the consummation, which is determined,
Is poured out on the desolate.

I agree the week mentioned here is 7 years but it wasn't part of the first 7 X 70 as I explained above. Titus arrived with his father in March 67 AD. Three and a half years later, the Roman General Titus attacked Jerusalem. After the Romans had conquered much of the city many of the remaining Jewish rebels fled to the Temple. Upon setting the holy place on fire, the Roman army went into a frenzy slaughtering the Jewish refugees therein. With the Temple in flames, Josephus says that the Roman army then “brought their ensigns to the temple and set them over against its eastern gate; and there did they offer sacrifices to them, and there did they make Titus imperator with the greatest acclamations of joy. The abomination that causes desolation mentioned in Daniel 9:27 is the Roman Army with its idols, the ensigns, of Zeus, Caesar and Rome.

If this doesn't work for you, a historian, I forget which one, said Titus took a harlot into the holy of holys and had sex with her. Would that satisfy you?

E

eternally-gratefull

He didn't need to place idols inside the temple. They were placed exactly where Daniel predicted, on the wing or outer edge. The gate to the temple fits perfectly.

I agree the week mentioned here is 7 years but it wasn't part of the first 7 X 70 as I explained above. Titus arrived with his father in March 67 AD. Three and a half years later, the Roman General Titus attacked Jerusalem. After the Romans had conquered much of the city many of the remaining Jewish rebels fled to the Temple. Upon setting the holy place on fire, the Roman army went into a frenzy slaughtering the Jewish refugees therein. With the Temple in flames, Josephus says that the Roman army then “brought their ensigns to the temple and set them over against its eastern gate; and there did they offer sacrifices to them, and there did they make Titus imperator with the greatest acclamations of joy. The abomination that causes desolation mentioned in Daniel 9:27 is the Roman Army with its idols, the ensigns, of Zeus, Caesar and Rome.

If this doesn't work for you, a historian, I forget which one, said Titus took a harlot into the holy of holys and had sex with her. Would that satisfy you?
An abomination which makes desolate is a holy place

Even jesus confirmed this when he said , when you see it staying in the holy place,

Outside the holy place is not the holy place

E

eternally-gratefull

KJV. I think we can show this by doing the math. Dan 9:24, among other things, tells us exactly the last year that God would accept animal sacrifices to cover iniquity. The central premise of this passage is that the Jews would have 70 X 7 or 490 years from the issuing of the decree to rebuild Jerusalem in which to offer sacrifice “to atone for wickedness.”

Daniel is likely working with two calendars, the lunar and solar, as the Jews did back then. The order to rebuild was issued by the king Artaxerxes in 444 B.C. There are 354 days in the lunar calendar. If you take your 70 weeks of years you need 490 lunar years. Converting them to our modern year of 365.25 days we get 475.

Thus A.D. 32 is the final year in which God would honor the blood of bulls and goats as a sin offering. This would be the final year in which “your people [the Jews] and your holy city [Jerusalem]” were “to atone for wickedness.” Christ then died in 33 AD.

Now if we use the solar calendar which the Egyptians and Babylonians used and the Jews having been captive to both, we have 360 days to a year. Taking the “seven ‘sevens,’ and sixty-two ‘sevens’” we get (7 X 7) + (62 X 7) or 483 years. Do the math and you get 476 modern years.

Thus we get to AD 33 again. Nothing says that the events of v 26 and v 27 have to take place during the 7 X 70s. Thus the destruction of Israel is outside and beyond the 7 X 70.

Nothing says the covenant week of verse 27 is part of the other weeks. The other weeks are clearly connected. So, here's my theory.

Daniel used two calendars, the Jewish (lunar) and the Babylonian (solar). When he's told in v 24 that seventy weeks were determined, the Jewish calendar applies. When he's told, "after sixty-two weeks" in v 26, the solar calendar was in play. Thus, there is no missing 70th week.
Ad 33. The end of the 69th week

You still have one week left, when did that happen?

Nov 23, 2013

Why do you think the 70 weeks are talking about rebuilding a physical temple? The whole point of Daniel 9 was that 70 weeks were determined upon the Jews and Jerusalem to build again the tabernacle of David... the real one not the foreshadow.

Dan 9:25 Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.

Fulfilled right here:
Act 15:15 And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written,
Act 15:16 After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up:
Act 15:17 That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things.

The tabernacle of David is the body of Christ. The Jews alive at the time of the rebuilding of the tabernacle literally had 70 week of Jesus walking and talking with them. Then it was either be part of the tabernacle of David or be destroyed.

Nov 23, 2013

PW do you really think "the wing of abominations" means a wing of a building? That's modern language lingo, I don't think people talked like that during Daniels time.

I don't know which translation that came from but I'm sure they translated correctly as wing, but the only problem is what did wing mean in Daniel's time.

Nebuchadnezzer

Feb 8, 2019
What is the abomination of Desolation? I would truly like to hear from you.
Luke 21:20 "When you see Jerusalem being surrounded by armies, you will know that its desolation is near."

It is the desolation of Jerusalem.

God left the 1st temple written about in Ezekiel before the Babylonians destroyed Jerusalem.
God later returned to the 2nd temple and Jerusalem only to be rejected for the last time. The rejection of Jesus. That 2nd temple was then destroyed, never to be rebuilt again, and therefore Its site, Jerusalem, remains desolate to this day. The 3rd temple of God is being built through Jesus and the body of saints.

Nebuchadnezzer

Feb 8, 2019
Some commentators say it was the Roman army.

Benson commentary
"The abomination that maketh desolate. By which term is intended the desolating Roman armies with their standards."

Barnes' notes on the Bible
"The abomination of desolation means the Roman army, and is so explained by Luke 21:20. The Roman army is further called the "abomination" on account of the images of the emperor, and the eagles, carried in front of the legions, and regarded by the Romans with divine honors."

Matthew Poole's commentary
"the abomination of desolation to be meant of the Roman armies, which being made up of idolatrous soldiers, and having with them many abominable images are therefore called the abomination; those words, of desolation are added, because they were to make Jerusalem desolate; and so St. Luke, who hath not these words, possibly gives us in other words the best interpretation of them, Luke 21:20: And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh."

Gill's exposition of the entire Bible
"but the Roman army is designed; see Luke 21:20 which was the , "the wing", or "army of abominations making desolate", Daniel 9:27. Armies are called wings, Isaiah 8:8 and the Roman armies were desolating ones to the Jews, and to whom they were an abomination; not only because they consisted of Heathen men, and uncircumcised persons, but chiefly because of the images of their gods, which were upon their ensigns:"

Bengel's gnomen
"The abomination of profanation was followed by the abomination of desolation. Such was the name given by the Jews to the Roman army, composed of all nations, the standards of which they held in abomination as idols, since the Romans attributed divinity to them."

Expositor's Greek Testament
"Luke gives the clue (Matthew 24:20). The horror is the Roman army, and the thing to be dreaded and fled from is not any religious outrage it may perpetrate, but the desolation it will inevitably bring."
Makes sense to me, but I do have one question about Daniel 9:27. "And he shall make a strong covenant with many for one week".
What is your view on this part of Daniel 9:27?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
All of these commentators have given a FALSE INTERPRETATION.

One would have to ignore all the prophecies concerning the Antichrist to come up with this absurd idea about the Roman armies. It is quite unfortunate that the majority of Protestant commentators did not understand this prophecy, and called the Pope or the Papacy the Antichrist!

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Makes sense to me, but I do have one question about Daniel 9:27. "And he shall make a strong covenant with many for one week". What is your view on this part of Daniel 9:27?
While this is not addressed to me, I will give you the answer. One must take this verse in its plain literal sense, but also understand the correct meaning of "week". The Hebrew word shabua is literally *a seven* or *a heptad*. Therefore it can be used for a week of seven days or a week of seven years.

In Daniel 9 it means a week of seven years, therefore seventy weeks means 490 years. Out of that 483 years have already been fulfilled until the crucifixion of Christ in AD 30 (when Messiah was cut off, but not for Himself). The final seven years are called "the 70th week of Daniel", and it is connected to (1) the reign of the Antichrist, (2) the Tribulation, and (3) the Great Tribulation. (All this is future, and has nothing to do with Roman armies).

In order to interpret Dan 9:27 we need to look at the context including v 26, and also include Dan 11:31:

9:26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah [Jesus Christ] be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come [the Antichrist] shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.

9:27 And he shall confirm the
[fake] covenant with many [Jews] for one week [seven years]: and in the midst of the week [after 3 1/2 years] he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation [the end of the Great Tribulation], and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

11: 31 And arms shall stand on his part, and they shall pollute the sanctuary of strength, and shall take away the daily sacrifice, and they shall place [within the Holy Place] the abomination that maketh desolate.

So what we see here is that "the prince that shall come" (the Antichrist) will make a fake covenant with Israel for a period of seven years, during which he will seemingly allow the Jews to offer sacrifices and oblations in a future temple at Jerusalem. [Note: the word *strong* is not in the KJV, and therefore has been added].

The Antichrist will be given full powers over the earth by God for only 3 1/2 years (see Revelation 13, where you will find 42 months). He will therefore terminate this covenant at the end of 3 1/2 years, and cause the temple sacrifices to cease forcibly (And arms shall stand on his part) . Then he will place the image of the Beast within the Holy Place and demand that all the inhabitants of the world should worship this image, as well as the Beast, and Satan (Rev 13). This will be the pollution of the sanctuary. Thus it will become an abomination (a detestable thing) in the eyes if God, and trigger the desolations which will come upon the earth during the Great Tribulation.

We will note in Revelation 11 that there is a great earthquake, and one tenth of the city of Jerusalem is destroyed at the end of 3 1/2 years. That ties in with "and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary". Meaning that their evil acts in connection with the temple will bring about this destruction. God is sovereign throughout all of this evil reign of the Antichrist, and this desecrated, polluted, idolatrous, and evil third temple will be destroyed at that time, and 7,000 men will die. But God will receive the glory that is His due.

louis

Nov 1, 2017
This does not refute what i said

No jew in Daniel's day or Jesus day would have taken this spiritual interpretation, so why should we?

We should interpret it like they would, (since it was given or written to them) that is called proper hermeneutics
Good morning eternally-gratefull,
The events in Daniel 8 about the little horn, who is also referred to as the transgression of Desolation, the angel Gabriel informs Daniel pertain to the end times in Daniel 8:17 & 19. These same end time events are reiterated to pertain to the end times in Daniel 12:4 & 9; at which time knowledge of what these events represent would increase. We are now approaching the end times, with our knowledge on what these events truly represent, increasing. This data was not meant for Daniel, nor his generation to understand, as Daniel 12:9 testifies.

Daniel 8:17 So he came near where I stood: and when he came, I was afraid, and fell upon my face: but he said unto me, Understand, O son of man: for at the time of the end shall be the vision.
19 And he said, Behold, I will make thee know what shall be in the last end of the indignation: for at the time appointed the end shall be.

Daniel 12:4 But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.
9 And he said, Go thy way, Daniel: for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end.

E

eternally-gratefull

Good morning eternally-gratefull,
The events in Daniel 8 about the little horn, who is also referred to as the transgression of Desolation, the angel Gabriel informs Daniel pertain to the end times in Daniel 8:17 & 19. These same end time events are reiterated to pertain to the end times in Daniel 12:4 & 9; at which time knowledge of what these events represent would increase. We are now approaching the end times, with our knowledge on what these events truly represent, increasing. This data was not meant for Daniel, nor his generation to understand, as Daniel 12:9 testifies.

Daniel 8:17 So he came near where I stood: and when he came, I was afraid, and fell upon my face: but he said unto me, Understand, O son of man: for at the time of the end shall be the vision.
19 And he said, Behold, I will make thee know what shall be in the last end of the indignation: for at the time appointed the end shall be.

Daniel 12:4 But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.
9 And he said, Go thy way, Daniel: for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end.
Dan 9 concerns daniels people (Israel) His holy City (jerusalem) and his temple (the temple in Jerusalem)

Anything outside of this context is taking the passage and twisting it to mean something not in context.

Jesus told the people. When you see the abomination (unclean thing) which makes desolate. standing in the holy place. let the reader understand...

It is a physical, Literal event which through prophecy marks the beginning of a great event which will be of major significance to the people who are living at that time, it is a warning, given By God, and fortold so the people warned can know and understand what is about to happen.

so sorry, I can not buy into your spiritualization of the passage.

PlainWord

Jun 11, 2013
PW do you really think "the wing of abominations" means a wing of a building? That's modern language lingo, I don't think people talked like that during Daniels time.

I don't know which translation that came from but I'm sure they translated correctly as wing, but the only problem is what did wing mean in Daniel's time.
"Wing" is found in the YLT. Young's is the most literal translation. Your KJV says, "overspreading of abominations." I mostly use the NKJV which also says, "wing of abominations." I don't think it much matters, do you? Bad things were happening up there, a foreign leader had sacrifices made to him and he was worshiped on the temple mount inside the temple compound, a place no foreigner was allowed. This happened as the temple was burning.

Long before that, the Jews desecrated the heck out of the temple. The Jewish tyrants and their band of robbers slaughtered priests in the temple and on the alter when they took over the temple. They drank wine from the sacred temple cups. They had gay orgies inside the temple. That temple had unspeakable abominations going on inside long before Titus got there. There were plenty of abominations to chose from to satisfy Daniel's and Jesus' reference. Luke renders the debate pointless as he said when you see armies surrounding Jerusalem, beat feet!!

The main thing to note is both Daniel and Jesus were talking about the events circa 70 AD and not some future 3rd temple. Clearly, they were on the Mount of Olives, looking straight at the 2nd temple when they asked when it was going to be destroyed. Jesus didn't skip over temple #2 to talk about temple #3 of which there is no prophesy.

E

eternally-gratefull

"Wing" is found in the YLT. Young's is the most literal translation. Your KJV says, "overspreading of abominations." I mostly use the NKJV which also says, "wing of abominations." I don't think it much matters, do you? Bad things were happening up there, a foreign leader had sacrifices made to him and he was worshiped on the temple mount inside the temple compound, a place no foreigner was allowed. This happened as the temple was burning.

Long before that, the Jews desecrated the heck out of the temple. The Jewish tyrants and their band of robbers slaughtered priests in the temple and on the alter when they took over the temple. They drank wine from the sacred temple cups. They had gay orgies inside the temple. That temple had unspeakable abominations going on inside long before Titus got there. There were plenty of abominations to chose from to satisfy Daniel's and Jesus' reference. Luke renders the debate pointless as he said when you see armies surrounding Jerusalem, beat feet!!

The main thing to note is both Daniel and Jesus were talking about the events circa 70 AD and not some future 3rd temple. Clearly, they were on the Mount of Olives, looking straight at the 2nd temple when they asked when it was going to be destroyed. Jesus didn't skip over temple #2 to talk about temple #3 of which there is no prophesy.
for your information, their is all kinds of prophecy concerning at least a third temple.