ABOUT THE BOOK OF JOB CHAPTER TWO

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JLG

Nov 4, 2021
When we read a book in the Bible dealing with the life of someone, we need not to forget the whole context and the whole book! And each time we read it again we may grasp something we didn't notice before!

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
I totally agree with you here -- -JLG---understanding the Context of the Scripture and asking the Holy Spirit for guidance is important to the understanding of what the Scripture is really conveying to us ----we are all at different levels of Faith and understanding and I believe the Holy Spirit meets us where we are in our walk with Christ --and will gives up information that we are able to understand -----New Christians are fed milk ----mature Christians are fed solid food -----to much revelation when we are not prepared for it can bring confusion not understanding ----my view --

JLG

Nov 4, 2021
Perfectly said! I like "our walk with Christ", "fed milk" and "fed solid food": a lot to meditate even if it's difficult!

JLG

Nov 4, 2021
Job is like a burning fire which keeps burning meaning he is alive. His companions don’t understand that. Speaking and complaining is a necessity to survive. Keeping silent is similar to death and losing your fight for survival. It is better to complain than to take pills. In the book Brave new world people would take a kind of drug called soma to keep quiet so they wouldn’t disturb the established order. If you feel bad you need to express yourself.

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
If you feel bad you need to express yourself.
That was Job's mistake, opening his mouth!

Job 42:1 Then Job answered the LORD, and said,
Job 42:2 I know that thou canst do every thing, and that no thought can be withholden from thee.
Job 42:3 Who is he that hideth counsel without knowledge? therefore have I uttered that I understood not; things too wonderful for me, which I knew not.
Job 42:4 Hear, I beseech thee, and I will speak: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me.
Job 42:5 I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee.
Job 42:6 Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.

JLG

Nov 4, 2021
He repents , of course, because he didn't know what was on, but he kept faithful and he is one of the few faithful people of the Bible which means a lot. But he never acted badly, and thus he was right and he complained because he was suffering and he was used to receiving God's protection which was not the case when the devil attacked him. Twice God invites him to listen to him by saying please which is quite unusual for God towards a human being and he received a lot more and God said his companions were wrong and he put their fate in Job's hands. it is a huge issue going far above what human beings can imagine because it was a trial between God and the devil, Job was just a piece or a pawn because he didn't know anything but in fact he was the main piece who demonstrated that God was right and the devil a liar. There is no such a trial in the Bible. With Jesus, it's different because he was perfect and he knew what was on and he was on a mission. He had all the elements.
Thus, Job is the best example in the Bible for normal people and for those who are in big trouble to keep strong whatever may happen even if it is really hard or nearly impossible.

JLG

Nov 4, 2021
What purpose does suffering serve? In other words, how should Job think about his troubles, according to Eliphaz?

Man is born for trouble so Job is responsible for his troubles. And Job must accept Job’s discipline. So he shouldn’t complain but Job doesn’t accept his situation because he has not done anything wrong. We know that Job’s three companions are wrong according to God’s judgment. In fact, it is quite easy for men to speak and give the impression they are saying the truth whereas they are lying. Lies are everywhere and it seems to be that we live in a society made of lies. Every time it seems more difficult to believe what society says especially politicians. We can say the same with science: what is true today is going to be wrong tomorrow! So the century of communication has become the century of gossips and gossiping. People make empty speeches, it seems to be a human tradition. That’s why dialogue is always better. And education should always uses dialogue instead of speeches: sadly it is not the case and men will never understand! We live in a society of EMPTY WORDS!

JLG

Nov 4, 2021
What does Zophar want Job to do?

Job 11 : 13,14 « If you prepare thine heart, and stretch out thine hands toward him ; »

« If iniquity [be]in thine hand, put it far away, and let not wickedness dwell in thy tabernacles ».

So Job must go back to God and change of attitude and he must use his heart for that. But to get the right condition of heart it is necessary to work hard, you can’t change in a second, it is necessary to prepare our mind and heart. It takes time !

JLG

Nov 4, 2021
How does Job respond (chapter 16)? What does this exchange tell you about the direction in which the conversation is headed?

Job keeps fighting back, word for word as he speaks about their empty words and calling them troublesome comforters and saying that if they were in his place he could act as they now do but on the contrary he would truly consolate them and bring relief. And then he keeps saying that God keeps striking him but he calls God for help.

JLG

Nov 4, 2021
Consider how the speeches of the "friends" change from the first to the third cycle, particularly in light of chapter 30. What are we being told about the causes of human suffering? to what extent is it under God's control, and to what extent under human control?

Job uses to help people in need but now he can’t so they are in trouble and they mock Job. He keeps thinking that he is in trouble because of God. So both God and human beings are responsible for human suffering, that’s what he says here accordingbto what he knows.

JLG

Nov 4, 2021
Why does God's second answer end the discussion?

Job realizes he spoke without understanding compared to God who controls and knows everything.

JLG

Nov 4, 2021
There are two sides to the suffering of the righteous: the earthly and the heavenly. The apostle Paul understood the tension of living in a corrupt world as one controlled by the Spirit. He placed his trust in God and things eternal—God’s justice, mercy and love— not in the temporary things of this world—success, wealth and fame. Paul recognized that our struggle is not against flesh and blood (Eph. 6:12) and took courage in knowing that our citizenship is in heaven (Phil. 3:20).

Well, we may take courage in any kind of citizenship. Personally I think there is a lot to do on earth.

JLG

Nov 4, 2021
https://www.kevinathompson.com/37-questions-answers-book-job/

4. If God is our maker, why does he want us to be afraid of him?

The “fear of God” as used in the Bible is different than being afraid of God. The fear of God is an awe and respect. He wants us to respect him, but he doesn’t not want us to be afraid of him. He has made his loving nature clear throughout history and ultimately through Jesus. Of course those who reject Jesus and have not received forgiveness of their sins should be afraid of God because he has the power to expose their sin and judge it as he sees fit. One of the great aspects of being a Christian is that we are not afraid of God because we understand his great love for us.

Yes, awe and respect to the creator of the whole universe !

JLG

Nov 4, 2021
Why does God allow our feelings to lie to us (i.e. someone might feel alone but God is with them)?

It’s part of being fallen people in a fallen world. We chose to rebel and one of the consequences of our choices is we are prone to deception. We often put trust in our feelings more than God. All of this should point toward our need for him.

It’s true that when we really study the Bible that is at least reading and thinking about it by ourselves we feel our minds with positive thoughts. But we still need to speak with people or at least exchange with our animals. There are too many old people who have a good health but they feel alone because they can’t speak with anybody and they don’t have animals and they have no connection with God or the old way which is something like a habit but it is not real.

Oct 29, 2021
The book of Job is just so what my idea of "Union Ideology" actually is. You had to have been there, it's important. Ever had a Union job, because to my misfortune, I've had them both in this country and the UK. It gets to a flashpoint. It's like so, "United Kingdom or United States?" And unions really actually objective exist, you might or might not be surprised. Think about the Algebra of sets form Algebra Two, there really are sets of people who really absolutely speaking really belong in the same group. And it's not malleable at all, a real strike is totally a civil war, it's just exactly like the American Revolution or the war between the states. And the whole idealism of your union is always "no this isn't some job; this is really our union!" And that means the same thing as "our country", seriously, it does. I mean that is the actual idea. People in actual unions in actual union jobs are really there because they belong there.

JLG

Nov 4, 2021
Well today America is made of 50 states with their local government and a federal state. In the Uk there are local parliaments so i don't know if we can speak of union!

Oct 29, 2021
Well today America is made of 50 states with their local government and a federal state. In the Uk there are local parliaments so i don't know if we can speak of union!
Nobody knows I'm Union. It's like a tee shirt I saw on a gay pride marcher one time, it said "nobody knows I'm gay" on it. Nobody knows I'm Union. Everyone thinks I'm confederate because my parents are from Raleigh and Bowie (you don't know where those cities are), but actually I took parliament in Bella Coola and was an electrician's apprentice at the BBC. My official answer to you're not Union is ##### you, you're a pirate. I'm a parliamentary blockade runner. And I'm also on the Oxford fencing team, so really really really really really don't push me.

JLG

Nov 4, 2021
As far as I can see countries are divided, let's say something like fifty fifty. Every time we see elections people may vote for one party then they vote for another party and you see demonstrations and angry people and more troubles everywhere as Jesus said in the gospels!

Oct 29, 2021
As far as I can see countries are divided, let's say something like fifty fifty. Every time we see elections people may vote for one party then they vote for another party and you see demonstrations and angry people and more troubles everywhere as Jesus said in the gospels!
Reality is indeed outside of our control. Actually, so are dreams. I had to really study that to learn it. If you go to sleep and dream, and then claim you saw something in your sleep and it was like a theatre, I don't actually believe that. I've heard of dream Diaries and stuff but dreams just wake me up and have no content whatsoever, it's just an experience which happens to me sometimes when I'm asleep. No content, no meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.