Acts 2.38 is to Israel not gentiles

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
Think about how far all these Jews and proselytes have travelled to attend the Jewish feast of pentacost.
Acts 2.1
1¶And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

5¶And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every NATION under heaven.

9Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

10Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

11Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

So the promise that they heard was also for their children and for their fellow Jews in respective nations .
Other sheep that are not of this fold. All Jews regardless of where they lived would belong to the fold of Israel. The other sheep that are not of this fold, is referring to those who are not of the same fold, ergo, Gentiles.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
No sir! That is an erroneous assumption. Originally the Lord refers to sheep as referring to Israel, then He says, "I have other sheep that are not of this fold." "Not of this fold" would infer being other than Israel.

However, this is the end of this discussion. You can believe whatever you like. I just happen to know that repentance and baptism is required whether Jew or Gentile and not just for Jew only. I also know that "those far off, all whom the Lord will call" is everyone other than Israel.
ok let's look at what he says . He's not come but to the LOST SHEEP of the house of ISRAEL . So we see from this that ISRAEL are referred to as SHEEP and LOST . Both these terms are never used for the gentile ' dogs ' . Gentiles are not ' lost ' . We are as described in Ephesians 2 v 11-12 .
So its safe to conclude the ' other sheep ' not of ' this ' fold are also other Jews.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Other sheep that are not of this fold. All Jews regardless of where they lived would belong to the fold of Israel. The other sheep that are not of this fold, is referring to those who are not of the same fold, ergo, Gentiles.
We see no approach to gentiles ( beyond a couple that came to him ) During His ministry . This makes the idea that he was referring to gentiles a stretch to say the least. Its when Israel and only then do we see an apostle to the gentiles . Its Paul who is sent to the gentiles .

Gentiles are not LOST nor SHEEP in any fold .

26¶But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to DOGS .

eph 2

11¶Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;

12That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
And yet absolutely nothing in the context and the conclusion of his entire ministry and his commands given to the dicipes suggests this to be the case. Not once does Paul refer to Gentiles as ' sheep ,' Lost or ' fold ' .

Read eph 2 11-12

we are ' dogs ' not sheep .

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Ergo a faulty assumption as we see no attempt by Jesus to reach anyone but jews . Thus you have no evidence that ' other sheep ' are gentiles .

Yahshua

Sep 22, 2013
And yet absolutely nothing in the context and the conclusion of his entire ministry and his commands given to the dicipes suggests this to be the case. Not once does Paul refer to Gentiles as ' sheep ,' Lost or ' fold ' .

Read eph 2 11-12

we are ' dogs ' not sheep .
I think it was moreso an analogy he was sharing to explain a truth. With the benefit of hindsight we know not all Jews are Jews. Not all Israel is Israel. So it's the same with gentiles.

Recall the teaching He gave about when the Son of Man comes at the end of the age with all nations before him, and he will separate the sheep from the goats based on how those people treated his bretheren. If his bretheren are Jews it would seem that "sheep" means more than Jew in this context.

So I don't think the label is necessarily strict, but analogous.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
I think it was moreso an analogy he was sharing to explain a truth. With the benefit of hindsight we know not all Jews are Jews. Not all Israel is Israel. So it's the same with gentiles.

Recall the teaching He gave about when the Son of Man comes at the end of the age with all nations before him, and he will separate the sheep from the goats based on how those people treated his bretheren. If his bretheren are Jews it would seem that "sheep" means more than Jew in this context.

Nations yes . Not individuals in this context.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020

Its absolutely priceless that here we have an absolute clear text as to Jesus s intentions for his ministry on earth .

Matthew 15:24

King James Version

24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Then we go " yeah but he came for gentiles "

Its like the actual text doesn't matter ,because we've got a doctrine that needs to fit .

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020

King James Version

24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

He's literally saying here ' ISRAEL only .

Yahshua

Sep 22, 2013
Its absolutely priceless that here we have an absolute clear text as to Jesus s intentions for his ministry on earth .

King James Version

Then we go " yeah but he came for gentiles "

Its like the actual text doesn't matter ,because we've got a doctrine that needs to fit .
Well, all of the text matters. Everything he said, including when He said go to the gentiles. We must accept everything. After the cross, literally after that event, in Matthew chapter 28 He tells his disciples to then go to the nations and teach them.

Ok last one...

eph 2

11¶Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;

12That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
If we logically flipped the last passage from its negative isn't it then also true that:

"at THIS time ye [gentiles] are with Christ, being within the commonwealth of Israel, and participants of the covenants of promise, having hope, and with God in the world"?

The new covenant promise was only given to Israel & Judah (Jer 31:31-33), and once the Almighty says something His Word must accomplish what was said (Isaiah 55:11). So there was/is no way to just give that promise to gentiles unless gentiles are grafted into the commonwealth, otherwise the Almighty would be breaking His Word.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Well, all of the text matters. Everything he said, including when He said go to the gentiles. We must accept everything. After the cross, literally after that event, in Matthew chapter 28 He tells his disciples to then go to the nations and teach them.

Ok last one...

If we logically flipped the last passage from its negative isn't it then also true that:

"at THIS time ye [gentiles] are with Christ, being within the commonwealth of Israel, and participants of the covenants of promise, having hope, and with God in the world"?

The new covenant promise was only given to Israel & Judah (Jer 31:31-33), and once the Almighty says something His Word must accomplish what was said (Isaiah 55:11). So there was/is no way to just give that promise to gentiles unless gentiles are grafted into the commonwealth, otherwise the Almighty would be breaking His Word.
I'm a gentile so we know that repentance was granted to Gentiles and the Gospel was spread by the Apostle Paul to the gentiles finally . After Israel s final rejection .

Yahshua

Sep 22, 2013
I'm a gentile so we know that repentance was granted to Gentiles and the Gospel was spread by the Apostle Paul to the gentiles finally . After Israel s final rejection .
"Its like the actual text doesn't matter ,because we've got a doctrine that needs to fit ."

Ok be blessed.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020

Ok last one...

Acts 2
¶And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place

5¶And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven .

9Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

10Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

11Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

39For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Jews , Jews ,Jews and Jews .

Unless you believe the apostles are acting out of disobedience we can conclude they are following Jesus s instructions to NOT go the the gentiles.
Acts 11
19¶Now they which were scattered abroad upon the persecution that arose about Stephen travelled as far as Phenice, and Cyprus, and Antioch, preaching the word to NONE but unto the Jews only .

UNTIL THE GENTILES ARE GRANTED REPENTENCE. which is approx 10 years after acts 2 .

Acts11
18¶When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

S

Scribe

' repent of Sins ' is not a biblical verse anywhere . It comes from virtue signalling And lordship salvation. Usually the reformed groups .
Repent of thy wickedness is the same as Repent of thy sins.

Acts 8:22 Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.
And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.

Ezek 18:30
Repent, from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin.

I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

Luke 24:46-48
and He said to them, “Thus it is written, that the Christ would suffer and rise again from the dead the third day, and that repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem. You are witnesses of these things.

Acts 17:30
Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent, (message to non Jews and destroying your main thesis)

I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Luke 17:3
Be on your guard! If your brother sins, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him.

Acts 3:19
Therefore repent and return, so that your sins may be wiped away, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord;

Acts 2:38
Peter said to them, “Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Luke 13:3
I tell you, no, but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
I don't think you understand what Peter is saying in acts 2 nor how we are saved today . You will not find that is the order in which we are saved. The way you have said .
All that Peter stated is needful for one to experience the NT spiritual rebirth. The sequence concerning when water baptism in the name of the Lord Jesus and receiving the infilling of the Holy Ghost occurs is not relevant. What is relevant is that both are required as seen in examples set forth in the word.

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
Context is always key.

Acts 2:
5 and there were DWELLING at Jerusalem JEWS,

14 Peter said, YE MEN OF JUDAEA

22 YE MEN OF ISRAEL, hear these words;

36 let ALL the HOUSE OF ISRAEL know, that God made that same Jesus, WHOM YE CRUCIFIED, both Lord and Christ.

Acts 2, Context: REPENT from UNBELIEF/REJECTION of & crucifying/killing, their long promised Messiah/Christ/Savior. The context, is not, repent from everyday personal sins. They had a sacrificial system (an innocent paying/dying in place of a guilty) that covered (temporarily) their sins.

John 16:
7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
(MY NOTE: The Holy Spirit will expose/convict everyone of, sins? NO of "SIN" singular.)

9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;
(MY NOTE: Of sin, personal sins? No! UNBELIEF/REJECTING Christ's sin atoning sacrifice & resurrection)

John 8:24 Jesus said; ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

When reading Acts 2 in context, we can universally apply correctly, repent from unbelief. We can not universally apply correctly, repent from your everyday personal sins, without adding to scripture.

BTW no gentiles are saved/indwelt/baptized via Christ's Holy Spirit at this Acts 2 Pentecost.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
We see no approach to gentiles ( beyond a couple that came to him ) During His ministry . This makes the idea that he was referring to gentiles a stretch to say the least. Its when Israel and only then do we see an apostle to the gentiles . Its Paul who is sent to the gentiles .

Gentiles are not LOST nor SHEEP in any fold .

26¶But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to DOGS .

eph 2

Sure sounds like the Gentiles were definitely a lost bunch of people.

Every single person, Jew or Gentile, is lost without Jesus.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
All that Peter stated is needful for one to experience the NT spiritual rebirth. The sequence concerning when water baptism in the name of the Lord Jesus and receiving the infilling of the Holy Ghost occurs is not relevant. What is relevant is that both are required as seen in examples set forth in the word.
Thats begging the Question. Your assuming the very thing up for discussion is the case .

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Context is always key.

Acts 2:
5 and there were DWELLING at Jerusalem JEWS,

14 Peter said, YE MEN OF JUDAEA

22 YE MEN OF ISRAEL, hear these words;

36 let ALL the HOUSE OF ISRAEL know, that God made that same Jesus, WHOM YE CRUCIFIED, both Lord and Christ.

Acts 2, Context: REPENT from UNBELIEF/REJECTION of & crucifying/killing, their long promised Messiah/Christ/Savior. The context, is not, repent from everyday personal sins. They had a sacrificial system (an innocent paying/dying in place of a guilty) that covered (temporarily) their sins.

John 16:
7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
(MY NOTE: The Holy Spirit will expose/convict everyone of, sins? NO of "SIN" singular.)

9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;
(MY NOTE: Of sin, personal sins? No! UNBELIEF/REJECTING Christ's sin atoning sacrifice & resurrection)

John 8:24 Jesus said; ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

When reading Acts 2 in context, we can universally apply correctly, repent from unbelief. We can not universally apply correctly, repent from your everyday personal sins, without adding to scripture.

BTW no gentiles are saved/indwelt/baptized via Christ's Holy Spirit at this Acts 2 Pentecost.
I agree with your interpretation but disagree with the application ( universal ) The problems that come from applying these verses in a universal sense is the reason why we have so many errors with baptismal regeneration , works salvation, and everything inbetween .

laymen

Apr 6, 2014
faithlife.com
Think about how far all these Jews and proselytes have travelled to attend the Jewish feast of pentacost.
Acts 2.1
1¶And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

5¶And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every NATION under heaven.

So the promise that they heard was also for their children and for their fellow Jews in respective nations .
If the letters from Paul to petter only went to Petter then how did the rest of the church including The council that put the Bible together get them. I think they were circulated through all the churches. Which is why they are in the Bible today.