Acts 2.38 is to Israel not gentiles

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 12, 2019
Thanks for reminding me of these scriptures. In several places Jesus makes it clear He came first for the Jews, for Jesus was a Jew. It was through the Hebrews that we are blessed.

But we must remember that gentiles are included, it is not Israel only. Romans 1:16, “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
I was referring to romans 5:12-19

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
Context is always key.

Acts 2:
5 and there were DWELLING at Jerusalem JEWS,

14 Peter said, YE MEN OF JUDAEA

22 YE MEN OF ISRAEL, hear these words;

36 let ALL the HOUSE OF ISRAEL know, that God made that same Jesus, WHOM YE CRUCIFIED, both Lord and Christ.

Acts 2, Context: REPENT from UNBELIEF/REJECTION of & crucifying/killing, their long promised Messiah/Christ/Savior. The context, is not, repent from everyday personal sins. They had a sacrificial system (an innocent paying/dying in place of a guilty) that covered (temporarily) their sins.

John 16:
7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
(MY NOTE: The Holy Spirit will expose/convict everyone of, sins? NO of "SIN" singular.)

9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;
(MY NOTE: Of sin, personal sins? No! UNBELIEF/REJECTING Christ's sin atoning sacrifice & resurrection)

John 8:24 Jesus said; ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

When reading Acts 2 in context, we can universally apply correctly, repent from unbelief. We can not universally apply correctly, repent from your everyday personal sins, without adding to scripture.

BTW no gentiles are saved/indwelt/baptized via Christ's Holy Spirit at this Acts 2 Pentecost.
Notice the scripture actually states sins, not sin.
Acts 2:38
Peter said to them, “Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
The word stresses that a person can find the "common" salvation by searching out what was delivered to the disciples/saints. This speaks to the gospel message being one in the same.

"Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints." Jude 3

Jesus makes it clear that no one (Jew or Gentile) will enter heaven unless they are reborn of water and Spirit. A perfect parallel is seen in Peter's instructions to be water baptized and filled with the Holy Spirit:

"Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God." John 3:5

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
Notice the scripture actually states sins, not sin.
Acts 2:38
Peter said to them, “Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
To clarify, repent & baptism are different points. I explained what (IMO) repent applies to via Acts 2 context.

I'll weigh in a bit on the baptism aspect:

How do the promoters of sin remission via Johns (or any) water baptism, invariably miss the next few verses:

Mat 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
(MY NOTE: It's Belief/faith in Christ's sinless shed blood & resurrection that provides the Remission/Pardon for sins. NOT the act of repentance or water baptism)

Heb 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.
(MY NOTE: Without Christ's shed blood there is NO Remission/Pardon/Forgiveness for sins.)

PLEASE pay special attention to Acts 19:4

Acts 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the ""baptism of repentance"", saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
(MY NOTE: John the Baptist is sent to preach, the BAPTISM of REPENTANCE. That they should BELIEVE on him that would come after John, that is, on Christ Jesus. Who would remit/forgive/pardon their sins.)

Matt 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
(MY NOTE: Jesus say's; it's his BLOOD that's shed for the forgiveness/remission of sins)

Rev 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,
(MY NOTE: It's Jesus that loved us & washed us from our sins in his own blood)

Water baptism doesn't remiss/pardon/forgive sin, repentance doesn't remiss/pardon sin, obedience doesn't remiss/pardon sin, sabbath observance doesn't remiss/pardon sin, tithing doesn't remiss/pardon sin etc.

Faith & Faith alone, placed in Christ's finished sin redemptive work found in Jesus death (sins required wage PAID) burial (proof Jesus died) & resurrection (the Father's receipt, payment received & accepted). Is the only way anyone's sins are remised/pardoned/forgiven! All the credit, glory, praise & honor belong, to our great God & Savior, Jesus the Christ! Amen

Wansvic, I've had unfruitful water baptism discussions with you in the past. This will be my last reply to you in this thread. Best wishes, JJ

laymen

Apr 6, 2014
faithlife.com
The other sheep are other jews . Different Jews. His whole ministry was to Jews . He was a jew .
God was and is trying to save the whole word. Is that not the Gospel. Why are you so stuck on Jews, its the opposite of Anti-semitic ....Shakes head.

laymen

Apr 6, 2014
faithlife.com
The other sheep are other jews . Different Jews. His whole ministry was to Jews . He was a jew .
From Adam to Eve until now its the same for everyone. Adam and Eve were not Jews but the Gospel went to them first. Oh wait that might mess your theology ;)

Jan 12, 2019
In verse 16, Jesus refers to the “other sheep,” and those can only be sheep that are outside of Israel, in other words, Gentiles.
And I am saying you choose to read that into that passage. Nothing in the scripture allows you to deduce that.

Of course you may go ahead and believe in that doctrine, but that is your own personal one. That is fine, we all have our own framework which we use to interpret scripture.

Jan 12, 2019
God was and is trying to save the whole word. Is that not the Gospel. Why are you so stuck on Jews, its the opposite of Anti-semitic ....Shakes head.
But you do agree in a certain order of priority right? The nation Israel was supposed to accept Christ first, before the gentiles could be reached.

Mark 7:27 But Jesus said unto her, Let the children first be filled: for it is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it unto the dogs.

laymen

Apr 6, 2014
faithlife.com
But you do agree in a certain order of priority right? The nation Israel was supposed to accept Christ first, before the gentiles could be reached.

Mark 7:27 But Jesus said unto her, Let the children first be filled: for it is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it unto the dogs.
Israel was the blood line for Christ to come in to the world. He made a people with laws so that he could come from those people and live under the law for us and make every man a liar and live a perfect life and hold everyone accountable because he is the only judge worthy!

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
I'm stuck on what the bible says . I'm trying like the rest of us to really understand what the text says .

laymen

Apr 6, 2014
faithlife.com

And to be frank Jew is only a name given from one person in that blood line before that there was no such thing as Jew or Gentile. Abraham was not even Jewish he was a Gentile!

Jan 12, 2019
Israel was the blood line for Christ to come in to the world. He made a people with laws so that he could come from those people and live under the law for us and make every man a liar and live a perfect life and hold everyone accountable because he is the only judge worthy!
Yes, so when Israel still refused to repent and believe Christ is their promised messiah, and stoned Stephen in acts 7, what was supposed to have happen? (Psalms 2)

Jan 12, 2019
And to be frank Jew is only a name given from person in that blood line before that there was not such thing as Jew or Gentile. Abraham was not even Jewish he was a Gentile!
Yes Israel the nation was only born of God at the time of exodus.

laymen

Apr 6, 2014
faithlife.com
Yes Israel the nation was only born of God at the time of exodus.
And if I may say that the Gospel has been there from the start with Adam and Eve so this junk about the Gentiles last and the Jews first is all a slant of the truth. The Gospel went to the Gentiles first which in my book means Gods people. The only reason God had to teach Israel was they had forgotten from being in Egypt so long.

Jan 12, 2019
And if I may say that the Gospel has been there from the start with Adam and Eve so this junk about the Gentiles last and the Jews first is all a slant of the truth. The Gospel went to the Gentiles first which in my book means Gods people. The only reason God had to teach Israel was they had forgotten from being in Egypt so long.
God has always been announcing good news to people since the ot so I can agree with you there.

But do you agree that the contents of that good news may vary depending on the time period and the audience?

For example, God told Abraham he will have descendants as numerous as the stars and sand in genesis 15. Is God telling us the same thing now?

laymen

Apr 6, 2014
faithlife.com
God has always been announcing good news to people since the ot so I can agree with you there.

But do you agree that the contents of that good news may vary depending on the time period and the audience?

For example, God told Abraham he will have descendants as numerous as the stars and sand in genesis 15. Is God telling us the same thing now?
gen 12:3"All the families of the earth will be blessed".... blessed by a Gentile

Jan 12, 2019
gen 12:3"All the families of the earth will be blessed".... blessed by a Gentile
Yes, so that was also good news to Abraham I agree.

My question is, is that what God is also telling us now.?

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
So your one of the 12 tribes ?
Galatains 3:29
“And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.”
Acts 11.
19¶Now they which were scattered abroad upon the persecution that arose about Stephen travelled as far as Phenice, and Cyprus, and Antioch, preaching the word to none but unto the JEWS ONLY .
Because Christ obeyed that God said to the Jew first, then to the gentile, that we should not listen to anything God spoke to the Jew first? What about scripture telling us "also to the gentile"?

The new covenant was given to Israel. Do you listen to it? David was a Jew who wrote many psalms. Do you read them , or are they to Israel only? Be consistent.