Actual Bible Discussion Thread

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
.........well, that's kinda depressing.............and here I thought that waitress was asking me if I wanted "beets......."

"you bête, you bête........" she says

.........sigh......... :)

LOL! That was a great joke!
 
I don't know if you know this, but the word "bête" is French for beast or animal, but generally it is used to mean idiot, stupid or ignorant.

Be careful when you quote French, unless you google translate first. It is a language that I am fluent in, and I used to teach French Immersion and FSL.

Sorry for being off-topic! I just couldn't think of any verses that worked that way.

For the record I wasn't quoting French and maybe look closer at the word and the context of what I said and you will see an evident typo as the word I meant to type was (BET)

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by dcontroversal
I will add I bête there are other examples....
I will add I BET there are other examples....

Thanks anyway for assuming I was quoting French....the only French I know is...

French Fries
French Toast
French Dressing<--Salad

And that is about the extent of my FRENCH speaking abilities!
 
For the record I wasn't quoting French and maybe look closer at the word and the context of what I said and you will see an evident typo as the word I meant to type was (BET)

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by dcontroversal
I will add I bête there are other examples....
I will add I BET there are other examples....

Thanks anyway for assuming I was quoting French....the only French I know is...

French Fries
French Toast
French Dressing<--Salad

And that is about the extent of my FRENCH speaking abilities!

trying to be a wise guy huh? see what it got ya.. Ha Ha!!
 
I always found this interesting, the mass exodus from Jesus in John 6:66 not that I think it means anything :)Jn 6:66 From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
(KJV)
 
Here are two Scriptures to compare and consider........

John 3:16) For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

1st John 3:16) Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.


Anyone notice? Anyone see why I chose these two?

:)
It is His love given first, even though we still sinned, that he lay down His life, that won my heart.
Jesus became my hearts desire, to see His face....
To see His face we must walk as He walked...
So this I seek, a now see to be like Him, I must love and set self aside for another, even though they still traspass against me or others.
For this is the love we are called by and to, so love shall overcome!
Even though I fall short, as we all do, our hope is in Jesus and His victory won for us!!!

God bless
pickles
 
Chris...........I am and was aware of that fact.............and that is why I found it so worthy of mention........ :)

........and, I don't I attached any "understanding" to it........just mentioned it as worthy of consideration.

God bless......

Hi p-rehbein,

No offence intended.

:)
 
I never noticed the similarities between 3:16 an 1 3:16, that is interesting. Since we're having an actual bible discussion, it's interesting to note the use of italics in 1 3:16 in the KJV, that's what I like the KJV version so much. For those who don't know, the italics are a sign of Honesty on part of the KJV translators (And if I'm not mistaken, the Geneva bible uses them as well). Anytime italics are used it's meant to show that there are words added that did not appear in the original text. It doesn't change the meaning of the verse, it's only there to acknowledge this to the reader and it helps avoid misinterpretation.

Several translations can word things differently and still have the same meaning. Here's a few non-KJV examples of how 1 John 3:16 is worded.

Weymouth:

"We know what love is--through Christ's having laid down His life on our behalf; and in the same way we ought to lay down our lives for our brother men."

Websters:

"By this we perceive the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
"

International Standard version:

"This is how we have come to know love: the Messiah gave his life for us. We, too, ought to give our lives for our brothers.
"

Holman:

"This is how we have come to know love: He laid down His life for us. We should also lay down our lives for our brothers.
"
NIV:

"This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters."

English Revised:

"Hereby know we love, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
"

God's Word Translation:

"We understand what love is when we realize that Christ gave his life for us. That means we must give our lives for other believers."

but the actual literal translation is according to Youngs:

"in this we have known the love, because he for us his life did lay down, and we ought for the brethren the lives to lay down;"

They all say the same thing, but reading it literally translated can be very confusing to an English only reader. The italicization is how the KJV indicates when translation requires that a word be added that wasn't originally there (That applies to the words being translated from Hebrew as well). I'm not sure how all these other versions do this, or if they even do at all because I tend to only use the KJV and haven't studied other bibles as deeply.

As a side note, there are stars in the KJV next to prophetic verses sometimes as well. White and black stars. One indicates a prophecy that has not been fulfilled and the other indicates a prophecy that has been fulfilled. It makes it really easy if someone is studying the bible specifically to look for fulfilled prophecy.
 
I always found this interesting, the mass exodus from Jesus in John 6:66 not that I think it means anything :)Jn 6:66 From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
(KJV)

John 6:61) When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you?
62 .) What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?
63 .) It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
64 .) But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.
65 .) And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.
66 .) From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
67 .) Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?
68 .) Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.
69 .) And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.
70 .) Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?
71 .) He spake of Judas Iscariot the son of Simon: for he it was that should betray him, being one of the twelve.