Affair with married man

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

yac11

Mar 24, 2013
I don't go to church, no real Christian support system since I got married. My husband is a Christian but he does not believe in the idea of church so I/we stopped going. Do I have to tell him about the affair if I end it or can I just confess to God? I feel like it was my mistake and I should be the only one hurt by that decision. He doesn't deserve that. Religiously do I have to tell him?
God already knows your sin so confessing it, means nothing. Repenting is the answer and part of repentance is coming clean to your husband then God will know your truly sorry. That you have begun the process of cleaning up your mess.

It won't be easy, your not the only one who has made this terrible mistake. Put God first, it is always the right choice.

M

MissCris

The thing is, it's only a matter of time before he finds out. Whether through someone else, or through you, your husband is going to find out at some point. Would it not be better to confess this to him now, before he hears it from another person?

You say that your husband doesn't deserve to be hurt by this...that is nothing more than an excuse to not tell him, that's you justifying not having to face the consequences. If you really cared whether or not you hurt him, you wouldn't have had the affair in the first place.

I'm sorry to be harsh, but I have been where you are right now. I did the same things to my husband- and then I waited over a year to tell him, and it all very nearly destroyed my marriage. My confession to him was a turning point for us; God began to heal my marriage from then on, because I wasn't holding on to this destructive secret anymore.

I hope and pray that you will not take the longest, hardest route to healing and forgiveness in all this- please, set things right here. Confess to your husband.

And get away from that other guy! You've got to end it!

M

Mammachickadee

Still praying for you, hon. It's embarrassing and nervewracking to tell your husband that you were discontented enough to step outside of the bounds of marriage... but I don't doubt he will forgive you. Just be more open in the marriage, especially when you find yourself pondering in discontentment.

W

woka

I read all of the replies, all mentioned hurting your husband, hurting your child, hurting his family. Sadly and very sadly there is no mention of how you have hurt yourself.

I am so very sorry to hear that this is a choice you made, can I say that I have been there and done what you have done. There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ and that is where I wanted to start talking with you.

Affairs happen for a reason, the reason is always us, we of course find it so easy to explain why we are having or have had the affair. My husband did this, my husband didn't do that. But you and I both know the truth and that is, that it is us that are unhappy in ourselves, and look to other's to fill what is missing.

The sad truth is until such time, as you sit down with a counsellor or a phycologist to understand why you thought this was a solution to a problem it will continue. Maybe not with this man, but there will always be another man.

The one reply commented on the grieving process and for me this was and sometimes still is a thing I go through. I look at my husband, who I sat down and told what He meant and still means to me, I explained why I did it, and it took year's of conversation's about it. We had an understanding that should either of us want to know something, or talk about it, or just share a feeling that is what we did. Some really hurtful things came out but truth sets us free the Lord says.

When I had the affair I had not ever been closer to our Lord and saviour Jesus, He walked with me daily, the Holy Spirit spoke to me all the time, telling mw that I had no idea of the consequences of the decision I had made, and my reply at the time was it didn't matter, I had reached a point of no return. So please do not feel that because we love the Lord we do no wrong, we all do everyday that is why we need His saving Grace.

My prayer's are with you, should you wish to talk to me further, please feel free to email me anytime.

Yours in CHRIST
Veronica

presidente

May 29, 2013
One way to stop it would probably be to tell your husband and ask for his forgiveness, then call his wife and tell him. Pray and ask God for grace

What you are doing is such a wicked sin, that God prescribed the death penalty for people who did such things in the Old Testament. The penalty is the same as murdering a little child in cold blood. You need to see your sin for what it is and repent. Fortunately, adulteries can be washed, sanctified, and justified according to I Corinthians 6.

C

confused6238

I ended it with the other man tonight. We still work together so he will still be in my life in that aspect. Have not told my husband, not sure if I can. Please pray that I can do the right thing. Thank you all!

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Much damage has already been done. Most of the damage to the family is yet unrealized. The first and most important betrayal is to the Lord Jesus Christ. The Lord pure and innocent has been betrayed by one for whom He gave His life. One whom the Lord loved with a pure and holy love, yes an everlasting love.

Before one can even begin to atone for the betrayal in the marriage one must recognize the betrayal to the Lord. Jesus already knows everything but you must face Him and examine your heart in the light of His love and judgment. Your little boy cannot yet realize how he has been betrayed because he is innocent about what has happened. Your husband will need to examine his relationship to the Lord before he can examine his relationship to his wife.

It is not wise to think that the Lord will simply bail us out of every difficult circumstance we create for ourselves. Yes our God is merciful and loves us but how we seek His forgiveness is important. God is not mocked we will reap of that which we have sown. A long and tearful path lies before you. It can only be traveled with the Lords presence and guidance.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

A

Ariel82

I would talk to him about attending church. it sounds like you might need the spiritual support from fellow Christians. its been seven years, maybe he has changed his mind about it?

Also it might help to raise your child in the ways of the Lord if you had other people who were trying to raise their kids too.

I'm glad you ended it with the other man.

It wasn't just a choice between him and your husband. it was a choice between the world's lies and God's truth. A choice between being enslaved to sin and tearing down TWO marriages or following God and building a life with a godly marriage.

Aug 1, 2013
Coming from someone who has been cheated on by a spouse, so I am obviously biased .. You OWE him the truth..

M

MidniteWelder

Hello again Confused6238
Some people I have known are under the misconception that we only answer to God and only confess to God.
This is untrue reasoning as the one we offend we should also confess to.
Gods word also tells us to confess our sins to one another.
What sin would be more important to confess to another than the sin we have committed against them.

Humbly confessing shows the that we have actually learned our lesson (repented)
and are willing to be held accountable to NEVER do it again (atonement for our sin)
saying sorry may be the first ...but is not the last step.

Making up for an offense is the next step, but in the case of cheating it will be an ever continuing step of cutting off not only that which offends you but that which offends others. Your husband being a part of not only your body but a part of the body of Christ.
Understand that Adultery, cheating, (even mentally) and lying mock the unity which God holds dear within the church serving Christ.

-----As God is a jealous God he does not tolerate us serving another.
For the same reason, as the husband is the head of you. when the same unity of Christ to church mirrored by a husband and wife is mocked this is why Christ allowed divorce for infidelity.
Its the same thing as the church serving a different master than the true Lord who reigns over us.
If we serve another God we cannot be one with our true Lord.
If one serves another person other than their spouse either mentally OR physically they cannot be one with their partner, and infidelity is an action of showing rebellion against this unity.

Your husband will find out, the other will always find out and if not through your actions God himself speaks to his followers, God will tell him.
Would you prefer your husband find out to have to come and confront you?
Would you like to live every day of your life preparing for the moment your husband confronts you?
Or do you think its best to come clean on your own.
Lets say for instance one of your kids breaks something precious to you.
Would you like to discover it on your own likely angry at the time to have to go confront your child.
Or would you have preferred your child come to you on their own, showing the utmost respect and integrity for you as the person who is the head of their life.
When your husband does confront you, I can assure you he will already know the answer he will just wait to see what your reply will be and how honestly you respond.
Not confessing, lying or hiding anything could only help to solidify a decision on his part to divorce or worse.
As Christ is the head of the church, man is the head of his wife.
A mans wife is his church, who he cares for, protects and sacrifices of himself for her well being.
Worse can be found in this next verse, as God himself created man in his own image, he also instilled the same jealousy for his church serving another.
Proverbs 6
For jealousy arouses a husband’s fury,
and he will show no mercy when he takes revenge.35He will not accept any compensation;he will refuse a bribe, however great it is.

The act of cheating and serving another can acutely arouse a husbands fury just as serving another master arouses the fury of Gods wrath.
Which is why God allows us to repent, confess and make it up to him by atoning(sinning no more after we confess)
Which is how forgiveness is achieved isnt it?

Therefore you have a choice, to be upfront open and honest about it to show you are a person who is willing to practice honesty at any cost, not to lie or hide things like a child does for fear of getting in trouble, but an adult who is willing to fully be honest and confess and deal with any and all consequences for your actions.
It's going to be difficult, and you may have to show and prove your fidelity and re-earn your husbands trust.
Earning it back not according to your own predetermined amount of time, not until you say so but until the point he feels comfortable and says so. Be prepared for this.

Have you ever known those teachers who give their class an 'A' at the beginning of the year and the students (followers) have the responsibility to keep that 'A'.
Ya see some people, such as myself go by the belief of giving an individual the grade of an 'A' as a person until wronged.
Trusting someone right from the get go until lied to, wronged or cheated on.
Once that has happened they now have an F.
It takes along time to earn that 'A' back.
It may even take a little extra credit effort which can go along way.
Some may say forget it I'll just take the 'F' then and find another. (which would be taking the easy way out, just like cheating on a test in school, perhaps the habits practiced in school also carry on into adulthood unless unlearned).
Therefore, it depends upon how much you desire that 'A'.
Very similarly, when we first come to Christ, and are forgiven, we also right then have an 'A' so to speak.
But we also in like manner must work to keep it.
As we are told no one who comes to Christ keeps on sinning (but forsakes sin and are crucified to the flesh)
This is the kind of thing that needs to be made up for as opposed to a simple sorry.
Understand that you are not the one who issues the grades. That it is the one who is in authority over you who does.
Just as your boss at work is the one who decides your work performance.
And your husband is placed in much more of higher position of authority over you than your boss at work.
The fact of the matter is, your husband is also placed and ordained by God as a higher authority over your life than your own father was when you were growing up.

---It is your husband who is the only one you are suppose to be one flesh with.
---It is your husband who is the only one you are an heir to the kingdom of heaven with.

When you do confess, you may pray for mercy, but remember God has mercy on whom he chooses to and we are not entitled to demand of that.
Therefore expect what is deserved as cheating is the highest form of disrespect to a man, and it is a command held dear for a wife to respect her husband, just as a husband is to love his wife.
Your respecting your husband is not an action dependent upon your husband loving you.
It is a command of God when you entered into marriage regardless and independent of your husbands actions.
If your husband has faulted in any way, God will deal with that as God never does allow anothers actions as an excuse or justification for our own sin.

Loving one's wife does not entail allowing for her to make her own decisions when her choices are not beneficial to the sanctification of God's righteous decree and the marriage both partners are bound to.
Loving his wife will entail protecting the investment of not only himself in her but to help protect her from making choices which harm her if she is not good with her freedoms, they will be taken away from her.
If you rebel against your husband as your head, then God will take away your freedoms himself until you show to make decisions which are:
ONLY conducive to showing you understand the purpose of your creation is to be the Glory of your husband.
And that is how you serve and fulfill your purpose under God here on earth.

If he says to quit your job because of this, I encourage obeying as opposed to showing any rebellion as if sending any kind of message that you are hear on earth to be your own glory.
Then rebuild the relationship founded upon the proper guidelines and principles which are found in Gods word.
Don't transfer blame or guilt of your actions onto your husband in this process.
You will lose that battle.
God will not judge you on the last day for your husbands actions but upon your own.
Meaning, it doesnt matter what your husband does, what matters to God is what YOU do and how honorable you can be as a representative of God for your husband.
From your post you seem to think you job is pretty important.
Your job to God is of even higher importance and anything placed of higher importance above God ....
can quickly be taken away.

I dont mean to be putting you down or cause you to feel worse than you already may be feeling, but it must be more easily understood how serious the act of infidelity is and that we cannot take a worldly viewpoint on infidelity.
Lightening such matters or making excuses for it will be watering down Gods word which in itself is mockery of Gods principles and values and what our Lord holds dear for us as a believer to represent to others as a reflection of him.
We are called to be upholders and doers of the word, Actions through faith.

As love is an action not a feeling and not something simply said. (we derive feelings from the actions of love)
We show a person we love them by action, just as we show God and he shows us. God doesn't just say it neither.
He shows us with his devotion toward us, his discipline for correcting us when were wrong, and mercy and forgiveness when we repent with a clean heart. (a clean conscience is also a part of a clean heart)
A clean conscience and a clean heart comes from being renewed by Gods word.

I encourage you to become familiar with Gods word---on your own
Not looking to Gods word as the heathen does by looking for justification or excuses but instead as a means of bettering yourself and taking the plank from ones own eye.
Bettering ourself also means to accept what we have coming to us without trying to get out of it.
You may be thinking "well yes but if I tell my husband he may do this or that and he may get angry and he may leave etc"

Would you be able to trust someone who hid something from you only to find out the truth on your own later?
Would you not think they would then always possess the capability of keeping something from you in the future if they only fessed up to their actions if called on it, if they were only sorry when caught?
I can assure you if you are going to hurt someone, they would rather be hurt by the truth rather than a lie.
And to many people who hold truth and honesty of the highest attr4ibutes of Nobility, keeping a secret is the same as a lie.
The same as deception.

It is our enemy who uses lies, half truths and deception against us.
Our enemy who tries to make himself look good and save face through pride.
We on the other hand are called to be humble and throw pride out the window and if we boast at all we may boast in the Lord and what he has done for us.
I dont believe you would want your husband to view you as the enemy.

However if you choose not to tell him, be prepared each and every day... this may be the day you are taken by surprise to have to answer for your actions when it could have been nipped in the bud long ago responsibly by your self and much progress have been made from that point on.
Hopefully by asking your husband to lead and guide you.
Our prayers are with you.

JAMES 5
Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed.

Ephesians 4:25 Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another.

Matthew
23 So if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there before the altar and go. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.
This is saying Make ammends with the one who has something against you BEFORE you present yourself as a clean and unblemished sacrifice before God

God Bless,
Midnite

Nov 26, 2012
Wow everybody has said so much already. I was reading the responses wondering if I'd want to know. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't. I know if she did it would be over. Maybe a better man would forgive but to me that is the ultimate betrayal. Not just the act but lying and there still being a relationship with the guy. Of course there is going to be fighting. Is that fighting going to cause you to want the other man even more? If your husband's family finds out are they going to forgive you? There is so much to consider. I really feel so bad for you. I'm not trying to add any guilt to you at all. I don't know what your husband is like but I really hope and pray whether you decide to tell him now, later, or never God guides your every step along this path of healing. Be strong.

M

Mammachickadee

I ended it with the other man tonight. We still work together so he will still be in my life in that aspect. Have not told my husband, not sure if I can. Please pray that I can do the right thing. Thank you all!
This is a step in the right direction. Be prepared, though, for the inevitable desire for that man to strike. When it comes, do the exact opposite of what you want to do. lol Call your husband. :) Pray.

kim12345

Aug 4, 2013
Yes, I agree no excuse get your butt in the car and go to church.
Also, there is a program that was started years ago called "Celebrate Recovery" Go, you have a great chance of meeeting other lady christians that can be a great support system! Some that probably already traveled your road. and healed.

This is all in Gods hands. I would like to say, if you actually take care of this right away and be done, then no, you won't have to. But in all honesty, with what you said in your original post you're so attracted to this other guy that it most likely won't get taken care of over night. When we confess our sins to God we are forgiven, when we confess to each other we are healed. It may very well be that once this affair your having is taken care of, that you may be burdened by it's effect so much you HAVE to tell him.

Also there is no good reason why neither one of you are going to church. Even if he's not going, you need to get your butt up on sunday, along with your kid(s), get in the car, and go to church. IF your husband doesn't want to go, fine. He's a grown man, you can't make him, but that's no reason, or excuse for you not to.

kim12345

Aug 4, 2013
Please Lord help her Do the right thing! In Jesus name

K

keep_on_smiling

I don't go to church, no real Christian support system since I got married. My husband is a Christian but he does not believe in the idea of church so I/we stopped going. Do I have to tell him about the affair if I end it or can I just confess to God? I feel like it was my mistake and I should be the only one hurt by that decision. He doesn't deserve that. Religiously do I have to tell him?

You made the mistake, BUT it is FAR TOO late to not hurt him; you've already done that. Whether your husband knows or not you HAVE hurt him. It's extremely selfish not to tell him. Your husband deserves to know and if he doesn't, neither of you will be able to help your marriage. You really won't be able to heal. The guilt will most likely eat away at you, or at least it should.

God is such a loving God that He can and will forgive you, IF you truly repent.

Put your family first and remove yourself from temptation. Work and money shouldn't matter.

Praying for you and your relationship. Praise God that you know it's wrong! I pray that the Lord will give you the strength to tell your husband and that He will prepare you for what takes place next. Continue to seek the Lord.

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
Good for you! Now you're ready to buildup your relationship with Christ and with your husband :).

There is a danger here that the man will go to your husband about the affair, or he will try to blackmail you with it. If the confession comes from you FIRST, it may go a long way in healing your marriage. But I noticed one post by a man that said he'd rather not know. The problem would be the loose canon (the man) that stands as a continual threat. A potential threat will be like a chain on your soul.

If this were me, I think I would first pray, pray, pray for guidance. Then...choosing my timing carefully and making sure my spirit is humbled, go to my husband with confession. I am confidant that the Spirit will always lead when we are sincerely sorry and seek His help. Your husband may react very badly at first...and really, it would be understandable. But as he processed what has happened and your contrite spirit, he may come to forgive in time. Wow, what an opportunity that would be for your marriage relationship to really grow!! Put Christ in the middle of it and it CAN'T go wrong.

Praying for you...wisdom and guidance...go to Christ for His strength :).