Alexa, Siri, and 1984

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
How many here have one of those computer speakers like Alexa,Siri, or Google Home? I nipped in the bud my wife's thought of ordering one from Amazon or anywhere else. I understand perfectly how convenient they are, and YES I KNOW CHRISTIANS ARE BOTH FREE AND PROTECTED, but I can't think of a worse device to have in your house than one where an outside source/sources can listen AND record, virtually every word spoken in your home. I also know that I have smart tvs, phones, and xboxes that have the potential to do similar things. But somehow these other devices are different.

There are other factors to consider when we become so dependent on companies like Google to give us info. Look at this article and see what I mean.

What are your thoughts on this stuff? AND YES I KNOW CHRISTIANS DON'T HAVE TO WORRY! Ya don't really need to reiterate that.

[h=1]Does Google Home know who Jesus is? This man says no[/h]NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WZTV) — Audio technology like Google Home and Amazon's Alexa are becoming a dominant source for information.
But now, it appears one of the most common names is unknown to Google Home.

And some people are sounding the alarm about what the technology tells you when you ask about Jesus.
Brentwood resident David Sams owns a Google Home and an Amazon audio speaker. He says both give two different answers when asking "Who is Jesus Christ?"

"I even asked Google who is David Sams? Google knew who I was, but Google did not know who Jesus was, Google did not know who Jesus Christ was, and Google did not know who God was," Sams said.
Smart speakers are a technology owned by about 40 million Americans -- that's about one in six people in the nation.
And this religious conversation at home is making waves on social media.

Comments, videos and test results posted asking "Who is Jesus?"
The general response from Google Home is "I'm not sure how to help you with that."
There's still no response from Google as to why that is the response.
"It's kinda scary, it's almost like Google has taken Jesus and God out of smart audio," Sams said. "First it started with schools."
Google Home refers to Jesus Christ when asking about the Last Supper and even Saint Peter.
And there's plenty of information on the prophet Muhammed, Buddha -- even Satan.

Nashville resident Martin Collins says she thinks this feeds into a bigger problem.
They took prayer out of schools, they think just taking Jesus out of everything is politically correct these days and I think that's the stem of a lot of our problems," Collins said.
Collins has no doubt Google has purposefully programmed Jesus out of its audio speakers.
"To keep from stepping on toes, political correctness," Collin said. "That seems to be more important these days than what's right and what's wrong."
Sams is calling for answers from Google as it's become the main source of information readily available that so many are coming to depend on.
"I don't know if there's some kind of wizard making these decisions or if it's some kind of oversight," Sams said. "But whatever it is, they need to address it immediately."

U

Ugly

I know many Christians tend to look for the most evil answers and motives. I am not one of those Christians. I admit some of the reasons put forth could be valid. I'm not saying i'm right, just that i'm not convinced that it's some secret, subversive trick, or political correctness out of control. What about this thought... who God is has an infinite number of answers. To some God is 'the universe'. To some He is Allah. To some He is the God of the Old Testament. To some He is the God of the Old and New Testaments. To some He is a fairy tale. And the list goes on and on and on.
So, which 'God' should these companies point to? I know Christians feel they have the lock down on defining God to the world, but the world disagrees. And the world is not going to default to the Christian interpretation. It's to be expected, so why so many Christians expect it is beyond me.
So, perhaps, at least in part, the motive is that, by leaving it out all together, they will not suffer a backlash from anyone. Because if you designate the answer from the Christian view, everyone else will oppose it, and atheists as well. If you post the concept of Allah everyone else (including Christians, who now become part of the 'politically correct' movement by doing so) counter it and react. No matter what choice the pick there will be untold complaints by everyone else. By leaving God out they, at least in their minds, even if it doesn't work out that way, can't have anyone complain that it's the 'wrong' view of God. Personally, from the perspective of a secular company, which they are, i think it's a smart choice.

Feb 7, 2015
I'm right there with you, Ed. And I wonder how many people realize what this latest fanatical and idiotic craze of "Send in your DNA to Ancestory.com" (and others) is setting them up for in the future?

Feb 7, 2015
I do believe we were warned to be as wise as serpents.

Feb 28, 2016
Christians will stand-up for Jesus Christ at any cost,
it can only and always will be a win-win situation...

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
I'm right there with you, Ed. And I wonder how many people realize what this latest fanatical and idiotic craze of "Send in your DNA to Ancestory.com" (and others) is setting them up for in the future?
Yeah. Thanks for reminding me about 23and me Willie.

I understand the point Ugly is making and it is valid. But Not talking about God. We're Talking about Jesus.

The answer could have been as simple as " CHRISTIANS believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God who was crucified and resurrected."

Ezekiel8

Oct 26, 2017
Don't have a Siri or any of that stuff, but I believe it. Google does and promotes even crazier stuff than this.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Yeah. Thanks for reminding me about 23and me Willie.

I understand the point Ugly is making and it is valid. But Not talking about God. We're Talking about Jesus.

The answer could have been as simple as " CHRISTIANS believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God who was crucified and resurrected."
"CHRISTIANS believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God, Who gave His life as a ransom for many due to His great and everlasting love for humanity; He was crucified as an atoning sacrifice for the sins of the world, that those found in Him following the resurrection and judgment of all at the end of this age may be reconciled to God and attain to life ever after through Jesus' resurrection to new life."

:)

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
"CHRISTIANS believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God, Who gave His life as a ransom for many due to His great and everlasting love for humanity; He was crucified as an atoning sacrifice for the sins of the world, that those found in Him following the resurrection and judgment of all at the end of this age may be reconciled to God and attain to life ever after through Jesus' resurrection to new life."

:)

Of course you're right sister! But that may be a little too much to ask from a company that doesn't even acknowledge He exists!

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Of course you're right sister! But that may be a little too much to ask from a company that doesn't even acknowledge He exists!
Considering the fact that, as you said, they have plenty of info on Satan, Mohammed, and Buddha, surely they can up their game and include what we BELIVE about Jesus Christ and God as well :D Or, are they surreptitiously promoting Satan and Mohammed? :eek:;)

Feb 7, 2015
Considering the fact that, as you said, they have plenty of info on Satan, Mohammed, and Buddha, surely they can up their game and include what we BELIVE about Jesus Christ and God as well :D Or, are they surreptitiously promoting Satan and Mohammed? :eek:;)
You need to ask?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Do they acknowledge Satan exists?

Feb 7, 2015
This whole idea is why I often recommend a friend's new book, The Atheistic Theist.

Feb 7, 2015
Do you think they are promoting anti-Christ agents deliberately, and/or surreptitiously?
I think they simply believe the deception, and probably can't understand how we Christians can remain steeped in superstition and myth. Ya know, Democrat thinking.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
I just asked both Siri and Alexa about Jesus. They both gave the info from Wikipedia. Not that I doubt anything you all are saying.

Alexa gave an answer on Satan. Siri gives Wikipedia.

What im more concerned with is Facebook. Especially when those games will give you info about yourself that only surveillance would know.

or devils.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
This whole idea is why I often recommend a friend's new book, The Atheistic Theist.
Such a peculiar title. However, having spoken to atheists, agnostics, secular humanists, Satanists (maybe they just said things like that trying to get a rise out of Christians?), wiccans, polytheists, etc, (the list does tend to go on and on :D) over a period of many years before landing here, I do understand the concept :) They have made an idol out of their pride of life, putting themselves on the throne, which is what we all did in one form or another prior to coming to the cross of Christ. Some are so hardened and hostile in their attitudes toward God, yet would outright deny it, while they dedicated years of their lives arguing against Him, the Bible, religion in general, and Christians in particular!

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
There is a video ob youtube by Steven Crowder. I'm not going to link it, because I think their was some f-bombs dropped, but bleeped out. He ask alexa questions about Jesus, and the answers were shocking.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I think they simply believe the deception, and probably can't understand how we Christians can remain steeped in superstition and myth. Ya know, Democrat thinking.
Those knuckle dragging, cave dwelling goat herders were not very smart, after all... according to atheists, who believe they are so much smarter and more rational and logical than anyone who believes in God, Whom they would often refer to as an "invisible friend" as if anyone who does believe in God has no valid reasons for doing so, and may actually be in need of psychiatric care and medications :p