Am I The Oldest Member On This Forum?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lon1934

Feb 13, 2020
I will be 86 years old in July. I have had a Great Life with no regrets.

-BLISS-

Mar 6, 2018
England
I will be 86 years old in July. I have had a Great Life with no regrets.
Well congratulations on being able to use modern technology, even at my modest age of 30 I find it a struggle at times.
What would you like to say to any new or younger Christians that may be reading?

Jun 10, 2019
Right on Lon, what was your living in your younger days, what type of work have you done in your life,

Lon1934

Feb 13, 2020
Well congratulations on being able to use modern technology, even at my modest age of 30 I find it a struggle at times.
What would you like to say to any new or younger Christians that may be reading?
My attached Blog may be helpful to some members.
LIVING IN ASSISTED LIVING -- A RESIDENTS PERSPECTIVE by Lon Tanner
Prologue--

Preparing For Assisted Living—

If you are now in your 50’s /60’s you stand a excellent chance of requiring some kind of Assisted Living in your later years. Why take the chance of having to sell your home and liquidate your assets and income.
The best thing you could do would be to buy a Long Term Care Policy through your employer if available, or independently on your own. Having such insurance will help preserve your assets and income. Such insurance is expensive, but considerably less so if purchased in your 50’s & 60’s.

My Moving Here--

Since my moving into the Oakmont Assisted Living/Memory Care/Alzheimer’s facility two years ago I have had to go through a substantial learning experience. I made the arrangement my self instead of everything being decided on by a CARE TAKER/Friend/Family Member which is the usual scenario. I live in a very comfortable one bedroom/one bath/living room/kitchenette apartment on the second floor of a two floor facility. I am fortunate to have retained some degree of computer and technology experience which has made my life easier and more comfortable and will be discussed in another Blog
Health/Mobility

Like most of the residents, I am living here because of health issues that create symptoms requiring some degree of assistance. Many of the residents have some degree of hearing loss and wear one or more hearing aids My hearing loss is severe and makes certain social interaction difficult if not impossible.I cannot hear music and sorely miss it. Two of my medical conditions make it necessary to use a walker. A cane would be nice but balance difficulty requires a walker. Many of the residents use walkers and some wheel chairs, electrical and mechanical. I some times think we could use a traffic cop to direct walker and wheel chair movement in hallways and elevator. I am envious of some of the 90 year olds that are very mobile.
I voluntarialy gave up driving the year prior to moving here due to Peripheral Neuropathy affecting my legs. I started using Uber for my appointments until discovering that my AL facility could take me to scheduled appointments.

Paying for Assisted Living-

-Living here is expensive and my monthly costs are in excess of $6,000 per month.Fortunately, my Long Term Care Insurance Policy and monthly income is sufficient to pay ALL my monthly living costs. Some residents have had to liquidate their nassets or have family members pay.
A resident could very well outlive all their assets.

Meals and Dining at Assisted Living
Right on Lon, what was your living in your younger days, what type of work have you done in your life,
I had two separate Careers. First as a liscensed Embalmer & Funeral Director, Second as a Sales Manager for the Principal Financial Group.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Congrats on a long life! I can't give you the "Oldest" prize though; there's a 95-year-old on here. :)

Lon1934

Feb 13, 2020
Congrats on a long life! I can't give you the "Oldest" prize though; there's a 95-year-old on here. :)
I would enjoy communicating with the 95 year old. How best can I do that?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I would enjoy communicating with the 95 year old. How best can I do that?
It would be inappropriate for me to give you that user's name. I'll see what I can do, but no promises. :)

Jun 10, 2019
My attached Blog may be helpful to some members.
LIVING IN ASSISTED LIVING -- A RESIDENTS PERSPECTIVE by Lon Tanner
Prologue--

Preparing For Assisted Living—

If you are now in your 50’s /60’s you stand a excellent chance of requiring some kind of Assisted Living in your later years. Why take the chance of having to sell your home and liquidate your assets and income.
The best thing you could do would be to buy a Long Term Care Policy through your employer if available, or independently on your own. Having such insurance will help preserve your assets and income. Such insurance is expensive, but considerably less so if purchased in your 50’s & 60’s.

My Moving Here--

Since my moving into the Oakmont Assisted Living/Memory Care/Alzheimer’s facility two years ago I have had to go through a substantial learning experience. I made the arrangement my self instead of everything being decided on by a CARE TAKER/Friend/Family Member which is the usual scenario. I live in a very comfortable one bedroom/one bath/living room/kitchenette apartment on the second floor of a two floor facility. I am fortunate to have retained some degree of computer and technology experience which has made my life easier and more comfortable and will be discussed in another Blog
Health/Mobility

Like most of the residents, I am living here because of health issues that create symptoms requiring some degree of assistance. Many of the residents have some degree of hearing loss and wear one or more hearing aids My hearing loss is severe and makes certain social interaction difficult if not impossible.I cannot hear music and sorely miss it. Two of my medical conditions make it necessary to use a walker. A cane would be nice but balance difficulty requires a walker. Many of the residents use walkers and some wheel chairs, electrical and mechanical. I some times think we could use a traffic cop to direct walker and wheel chair movement in hallways and elevator. I am envious of some of the 90 year olds that are very mobile.
I voluntarialy gave up driving the year prior to moving here due to Peripheral Neuropathy affecting my legs. I started using Uber for my appointments until discovering that my AL facility could take me to scheduled appointments.

Paying for Assisted Living-

-Living here is expensive and my monthly costs are in excess of $6,000 per month.Fortunately, my Long Term Care Insurance Policy and monthly income is sufficient to pay ALL my monthly living costs. Some residents have had to liquidate their nassets or have family members pay.
A resident could very well outlive all their assets.

Meals and Dining at Assisted Living

I had two separate Careers. First as a liscensed Embalmer & Funeral Director, Second as a Sales Manager for the Principal Financial Group.
Thanks for replying Lon, I’m sorry for the hearing loss, I understand your heart about music I very much enjoy music also, I’m 51 April 1 52 and starting to loose my hearing as well my left ear isn’t as good anymore and my eye sight is dimming not as sharp as it once was, it might not be a comfortable ride when get older as well, Thanks for the info and your right I need to look into the health coverage

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
I have a suggestion that you might try out @Lon1934 It is random but when I considered your hearing loss...

Can you read sheet music or learn? I have the ability to "hear" music without it being actually played. Reading song lyrics for example. Or a statement that someone made or a thought. Usually only when I'm incredibly bored.

It's been ages since I've read music and since I have only sung I'm limited to that and songs I already know at present or hymns but if your memory is still reasonable (and indeed this could be good exercise) I'd consider some variation along these lines if that sounds like something you'd be interested in.

I take a lot of pleasure in silent practices of this type. It will require a bit of learning on my part and I don't know for sure, but it seems to make sense that I could fill in memory gaps with visual source material.

I can definitely do it with films muted like remembering forgotten parts of the score based off the visual but since most films don't exactly present the best spiritual mood (more of a fleshly meditative state) I don't do that anymore.

So it seems it can be done. Take for instance William tell overture. I just clocked what I recall with reasonable accuracy and it's about 25 seconds...it makes sense that understanding the written music it may be possible to "recreate" it. With some flaws probably, but quite an intriguing memory exercise, correcting flaws and acquiring mental source material not bound by physical hearing.

The issue of course is the effort required. Instead of simply dining on music and being served...you have to cook the meal yourself...every time, but at least the cooking utensils may be viable. Personal music box, only organic batteries required ;)

I decided to just check and see if my memory was accurate. As far as I can tell yes, and then just hearing the rest I could predict it a solid second beforehand (without getting in the way of enjoyment) as a sort of game. You also have the conductor giving clues and the instruments themselves in videos. I usually listen non-visually though.

My experience with elderly people is they can be pretty set in "what is" and not too open to change and it has to be done in baby steps (if at all) but perhaps you may find this of use.

Lon1934

Feb 13, 2020
I have a suggestion that you might try out @Lon1934 It is random but when I considered your hearing loss...

Can you read sheet music or learn? I have the ability to "hear" music without it being actually played. Reading song lyrics for example. Or a statement that someone made or a thought. Usually only when I'm incredibly bored.

It's been ages since I've read music and since I have only sung I'm limited to that and songs I already know at present or hymns but if your memory is still reasonable (and indeed this could be good exercise) I'd consider some variation along these lines if that sounds like something you'd be interested in.

I take a lot of pleasure in silent practices of this type. It will require a bit of learning on my part and I don't know for sure, but it seems to make sense that I could fill in memory gaps with visual source material.

I can definitely do it with films muted like remembering forgotten parts of the score based off the visual but since most films don't exactly present the best spiritual mood (more of a fleshly meditative state) I don't do that anymore.

So it seems it can be done. Take for instance William tell overture. I just clocked what I recall with reasonable accuracy and it's about 25 seconds...it makes sense that understanding the written music it may be possible to "recreate" it. With some flaws probably, but quite an intriguing memory exercise, correcting flaws and acquiring mental source material not bound by physical hearing.

The issue of course is the effort required. Instead of simply dining on music and being served...you have to cook the meal yourself...every time, but at least the cooking utensils may be viable. Personal music box, only organic batteries required ;)

I decided to just check and see if my memory was accurate. As far as I can tell yes, and then just hearing the rest I could predict it a solid second beforehand (without getting in the way of enjoyment) as a sort of game. You also have the conductor giving clues and the instruments themselves in videos. I usually listen non-visually though.

My experience with elderly people is they can be pretty set in "what is" and not too open to change and it has to be done in baby steps (if at all) but perhaps you may find this of use.

Lon1934

Feb 13, 2020
Thanks for your interest but I have no interest in reading music as a substitute for hearing it.

Lon1934

Feb 13, 2020
Thanks for replying Lon, I’m sorry for the hearing loss, I understand your heart about music I very much enjoy music also, I’m 51 April 1 52 and starting to loose my hearing as well my left ear isn’t as good anymore and my eye sight is dimming not as sharp as it once was, it might not be a comfortable ride when get older as well, Thanks for the info and your right I need to look into the health coverage
I had a left ear Cochlear Implant three years ago that does not work and I hear nothing in the left ear. Hearing aid in right ear gives me 10% poor quality sound.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Well have you tried watching a symphony of a half remembered song with no volume to see what the mind creates? It amazes me personally what fills in with reasonable accuracy. Typically I'd have to be pretty tired and experiencing some delirium from sleep deprivation, or white noise in addition rarely.

Having slight hearing loss myself, sometimes it depresses me and other times it motivates. Take care.

Jun 10, 2019
There’s been quite a few people with hearing loss, some famous musicians today can’t hear very well, Phil Collins Neil young and few others. Beethoven was almost completely deaf. people who are completely deaf feel the vibrations from music certainly not the same as hearing yet one can still enjoy the sounds of music. there is a device out called SubPac it’s like a vest or something it was made to help deaf people experience music. and or just placing a hand on a speaker can help hear the vibes

https://www.kqed.org/futureofyou/219070/for-deaf-tactile-sound-system-takes-music-beyond-the-vibe

Jun 10, 2019
Thanks for your interest but I have no interest in reading music as a substitute for hearing it.
Rgr that sorry for link and post above, I had not read this post before I posted.