....."and the world will live as one"

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Redwood

Dec 16, 2017
Years ago, I became acquainted with a man who had been through some of the worse battles of WW2. He had a great vocabulary; used all 60 of the 26 cuss words in the English language. He was not prejudiced, he talked like he hated everybody equally. In spite of the fact that the man made every effort to be obnoxious, I loved him. Never could figure out why.

One day he told me; "I was in the 82nd Airborne Division, I was a paratrooper, I was a gung-ho young SOB, I had so many decorations that I couldn't close the lapel on my dress uniform, and if I had it all to do over again I would not do anything for this country. This country is now run by a bunch of crooks and draft dodgers."

In the course of another conversation, he said, "You know, the most terrible thing in the world is religion."

Indeed. If religion doesn't provide any solutions, then what does?

John Lennon wrote a song that doesn't go back as far as WW2, it was written in 1970 when a very controversial war was transpiring in Southeast Asia. John Lennon wrote a song called "Imagine" that offered a solution to the problem caused by war and strife. Imagine "No countries"."No religion, too". The "brotherhood of man". "And the world will live as one". The song "Imagine" offered a solution that is designed to be diametrically opposed to religion; humanism.

What is humanism? I think that humanism originated a long time ago, when two people decided to buy into a mentality that seems to be really clever, but is distinct and separate from the type of wisdom that God has to offer. The basis of humanism is "the knowledge of good and evil" (Genesis 3:5).

What is wrong with the "knowledge of good and evil"? There is nothing "wrong" with the knowledge of good and evil, per se, aside from the fact that people get to use their own judgment about what is "good", and about what is "evil" .

Oh, of course there are some things that most of us agree on, you shouldn't harm anyone without just cause. But what is just cause? That one leaves room for a lot of discussion, and discussion sometimes becomes violent.

No two groups of people are in exact agreement about what is "good" and about what is "evil".

Does God accommodate the "the knowledge of good and evil", and the disagreement that goes with it? I don't know.

The best answer that I can offer is found in the sermon that St. Paul gave to the Greek philosophers on Mars Hill in Athens. Acts 17:26-28; "And He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all of the face of the earth, and has determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings, so that they may seek the Lord and find Him, though He is not far from each of one of us; for in Him we live and breath and have our being".

How about that?

The verses in Acts reflect the words of Jesus from Matthew chapter 24. "And Nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom" (v7). "And this gospel will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then shall the end come"(v14).

What is the "end"? Is the "end" the end of the world; or is it just the end of the the period of time when humanism and the "knowledge of good and evil" are the prevailing schools of thought on this planet? Even most of what we refer to as "religion" is actually a form of humanism, when you get right down to it. " There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death." (Proverbs 14:12)

The world may "live as one" after Christ returns and starts running things, but it isn't going to happen as long as the human race is running it.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
"Religion" doesn't provide solutions, because religion is man's attempt to appease a god or gods. Christianity is fundamentally different, because it is God reaching out to sinful and broken mankind with the offer of forgiveness and healing.

I agree with your last statement, by the way. :)

Redwood

Dec 16, 2017
"Religion" doesn't provide solutions, because religion is man's attempt to appease a god or gods. Christianity is fundamentally different, because it is God reaching out to sinful and broken mankind with the offer of forgiveness and healing.

I agree with your last statement, by the way. :)
Jesus offers new life. As opposed to accepting the gift of new life, many have tried to turn a gift into a religion.

Bladerunner

Aug 22, 2016
Years ago, I became acquainted with a man who had been through some of the worse battles of WW2. He had a great vocabulary; used all 60 of the 26 cuss words in the English language. He was not prejudiced, he talked like he hated everybody equally. In spite of the fact that the man made every effort to be obnoxious, I loved him. Never could figure out why.

One day he told me; "I was in the 82nd Airborne Division, I was a paratrooper, I was a gung-ho young SOB, I had so many decorations that I couldn't close the lapel on my dress uniform, and if I had it all to do over again I would not do anything for this country. This country is now run by a bunch of crooks and draft dodgers."

In the course of another conversation, he said, "You know, the most terrible thing in the world is religion."

John Lennon wrote a song that doesn't go back as far as WW2, it was written in 1970 when a very controversial war was transpiring in Southeast Asia. John Lennon wrote a song called "Imagine" that offered a solution to the problem caused by war and strife. Imagine "No countries"."No religion, too". The "brotherhood of man". "And the world will live as one". The song "Imagine" offered a solution that is designed to be diametrically opposed to religion; humanism.

What is humanism? I think that humanism originated a long time ago, when two people decided to buy into a mentality that seems to be really clever, but is distinct and separate from the type of wisdom that God has to offer. The basis of humanism is "the knowledge of good and evil" (Genesis 3:5).

What is wrong with the "knowledge of good and evil"? There is nothing "wrong" with the knowledge of good and evil, per se, aside from the fact that people get to use their own judgment about what is "good", and about what is "evil" .

Oh, of course there are some things that most of us agree on, you shouldn't harm anyone without just cause. But what is just cause? That one leaves room for a lot of discussion, and discussion sometimes becomes violent.

No two groups of people are in exact agreement about what is "good" and about what is "evil".

Does God accommodate the "the knowledge of good and evil", and the disagreement that goes with it? I don't know.

The best answer that I can offer is found in the sermon that St. Paul gave to the Greek philosophers on Mars Hill in Athens. Acts 17:26-28; "And He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all of the face of the earth, and has determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings, so that they may seek the Lord and find Him, though He is not far from each of one of us; for in Him we live and breath and have our being".

How about that?

The verses in Acts reflect the words of Jesus from Matthew chapter 24. "And Nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom" (v7). "And this gospel will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then shall the end come"(v14).

What is the "end"? Is the "end" the end of the world; or is it just the end of the the period of time when humanism and the "knowledge of good and evil" are the prevailing schools of thought on this planet? Even most of what we refer to as "religion" is actually a form of humanism, when you get right down to it. " There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death." (Proverbs 14:12)

The world may "live as one" after Christ returns and starts running things, but it isn't going to happen as long as the human race is running it.
Remember this, Humanism or postmodern worldviews are all Relative....Anything Goes!

P

pottersclay

God has established the boundaries of good and evil. With blessings and cursing consequences and rewards. Empires and nation's, societies and tribes have come and gone but the word of the Lord remains.....unchanged.
No man could ever know what is good for him or what is evil. The reason being man was created he just didn't develop. Something that is created has a purpose and is purposed.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016

How about that?

John Lennon was satans pied piper and that song was demonic.. Nice sounding song but evil and demonic no matter..

The problem with the knowledge of good and evil is that we human beings where not designed to handle the knowledge of good and evil.. If we where equal to god then we could handle that knowledge without us using evil.. But we are human so we will use good and evil as tools for perceived personal gain / advancement / pleasure,,, Self interest pushes humans to use what ever tools they have at their disposal..

The delusion and deception in that John Lennon song is the pushed belief that we can be gods and achieve a perfect state of existence in our current condition.. This is lunacy and time after time all people as they grow older come to experience this in their own lives..

Mar 23, 2016
Jesus told His disciples Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth. I came not to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law (Matt 10:34,35).

The peace Jesus came to bring to us is not the peace spoken of by those who love this world.

Because of Jesus, we have peace with God - Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ - Rom 5:1.

John 14:27 tells us Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.

I’ll take the peace Jesus came to bring over the peace John Lennon sang about.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Need also to understand that old John and Yoko were promoting Communism....... just saying

John Lennon was satans pied piper and that song was demonic.. Nice sounding song but evil and demonic no matter..

The problem with the knowledge of good and evil is that we human beings where not designed to handle the knowledge of good and evil.. If we where equal to god then we could handle that knowledge without us using evil.. But we are human so we will use good and evil as tools for perceived personal gain / advancement / pleasure,,, Self interest pushes humans to use what ever tools they have at their disposal..

The delusion and deception in that John Lennon song is the pushed belief that we can be gods and achieve a perfect state of existence in our current condition.. This is lunacy and time after time all people as they grow older come to experience this in their own lives..

notuptome

May 17, 2013
John and Yoko were both deeply involved in Eastern Mysticism. They were very religious and very lost.

They are right there in Romans one. Changing God into a god of their liking.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Redwood

Dec 16, 2017

We are not designed to handle the knowledge of good and evil. I have never thought of it that way, but thank you for the insight. Very good!

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
We are not designed to handle the knowledge of good and evil. I have never thought of it that way, but thank you for the insight. Very good!
Well, I can't take the position that God was unaware of or unprepared for what would happen in the garden since before He ever created it.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
And delusional to boot. Imagine no Heaven, no Hell, no countries, no possessions, etc. Everyone just living for today. Sounds like LSD was behind this one, and Satan behind that.