Anti-semites is a misused word

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ThereRoseaLamb

Jan 17, 2023
I agree. The word is so overused (and used out of context) as to have become meaningless. People accuse Martin Luther of being anti-semitic because he said some mean things about the Jewish religion, and yet the current Israeli government is committing genocide against Palestinians (consisting of Semitic people), and it is said the Israeli government can't be anti-semitic? The word has lost its meaning.
Well lets quite blowin' at the fur and get to the hide and pull the rip cord on this since everyone is here. Let's stop playing semantics and say anti- Jew, more specifically, ant- Zionist. That's what is really the issue. And this is twice or three times now Luthers words have been printed. He said more than mean things. You can't hate your brother and expect to make heaven. The Bible says hate is the same as murder. So there is that.

ThereRoseaLamb

Jan 17, 2023
I think you are taking the enslavement and killing out of context - I understand these penalties were proposed for those who used their false religion as a weapon. But even if you're not, what he proposed was far less evil than what's happening in Palestine at the moment, which many people - both Jews and Christians - seem to be okay with. So whichever way you look at it, it doesn't follow that Martin Luther was more evil than many people in our Western society today.

Jews were peaceful peoples. There was no reason for Luther to spread the hate and lies he did about the Jews. He was literally surrounded with actual pagan religions but it was the Jews he set his ire on and decided to take away their rights was a Christlike thing to do. smh Palestine got what it asked for. It broke a ceasefire and committed war crimes, and are still doing it. If you rape a woman so horribly that you have broken bones in her body and she begs you to kill her and you oblige by finally shooter her in the head and consider that mercy? If you don't think almighty God does not hear their cries, you are fooling yourself. They have brought down hell on their own heads. The kids have a nasty saying that I won't repeat, but it's basically " Mess around and find out". Hamas could care less. Lesson to the Arabs, don't elect terrorists unless you're willing to pay their price.

Aviva

Dec 3, 2023
Canada
Jews were peaceful peoples. There was no reason for Luther to spread the hate and lies he did about the Jews. He was literally surrounded with actual pagan religions but it was the Jews he set his ire on and decided to take away their rights was a Christlike thing to do. smh Palestine got what it asked for. It broke a ceasefire and committed war crimes, and are still doing it. If you rape a woman so horribly that you have broken bones in her body and she begs you to kill her and you oblige by finally shooter her in the head and consider that mercy? If you don't think almighty God does not hear their cries, you are fooling yourself. They have brought down hell on their own heads. The kids have a nasty saying that I won't repeat, but it's basically " Mess around and find out". Hamas could care less. Lesson to the Arabs, don't elect terrorists unless you're willing to pay their price.
It's not as one sided as you're making it out. Hamas was elected, if you consider election with a gun pointed at you a fair election. Half of Palestine is under 18 and has never known any other "government" because there has been no "election" since 2007. Netanyahu decided Hamas was good for his interests and didn't do squat about them until Oct 6 when his useful idiots bit him on the butt hard. Do not assume "Arabs"... (you do know there are millions of Jewish and Christian Arabs right?) support Hamas. People in the west unfortunately grew up in a society with tremendous freedom in terms of speech and politics and forget that others don't have that. They also don't have the same access and free flow of information we do.

Susanna

Apr 14, 2023
Galveston and Houston
It's not as one sided as you're making it out. Hamas was elected, if you consider election with a gun pointed at you a fair election. Half of Palestine is under 18 and has never known any other "government" because there has been no "election" since 2007. Netanyahu decided Hamas was good for his interests and didn't do squat about them until Oct 6 when his useful idiots bit him on the butt hard. Do not assume "Arabs"... (you do know there are millions of Jewish and Christian Arabs right?) support Hamas. People in the west unfortunately grew up in a society with tremendous freedom in terms of speech and politics and forget that others don't have that. They also don't have the same access and free flow of information we do.
I’m with you on that one. It’s difficult to comprehend that valid information is hard to come by for most people in the world. Yet we expect them to take the same standpoint as we do.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I knew you'd take your regular seat. The punch is flowing, no pun intended. Sugar cookies anyone? Only snowflake shape because Santa is satan spelled backwards or something, and Christmas trees are idols. And elves are clearly satans minions. Ok, ok, I'll hush, cookies are on the plate help yourselves.
Just don't make the same mistake Jason Fox made.

https://www.gocomics.com/foxtrot/2023/12/17

ThereRoseaLamb

Jan 17, 2023
Just don't make the same mistake Jason Fox made.

https://www.gocomics.com/foxtrot/2023/12/17
Rofl too funny!! Thanks I needed that. I just got back from my local fire station. Yesterday I put my wedding rings on before church. I've been baking and shopping and busy. Well the rings kind of felt tight. And I tried to get them off but they wouldn't slip off. So I thought "don't panic" and enjoyed the Christmas service. But when I got home my finger had swollen twice it's size. Now I'm starting to panic. My mother was a nurse, she came over and said the swelling would go down, don't panic. All night I tried and they wouldn't budge. Got up this morning and I knew I needed help. Called a jeweler and they told me to go to the fire dept. They had to cut all my rings to get them off. They were all ladies so I felt less silly having to get them taken off. So yeah, thanks for the laugh. lol

ThereRoseaLamb

Jan 17, 2023
It's not as one sided as you're making it out. Hamas was elected, if you consider election with a gun pointed at you a fair election.
True, that happens in many countries. But why aren't the other Arab countries that hate Hamas not stepping in? I've read that there are countries secretly hoping Israel flattens Hamas, but they won't help. Is it fear of Hamas?

Half of Palestine is under 18 and has never known any other "government" because there has been no "election" since 2007. Netanyahu decided Hamas was good for his interests and didn't do squat about them until Oct 6 when his useful idiots bit him on the butt hard.
He's not new to office. I may be wrong, but I don't recall any big resistance to him until he and Trump were see to seemingly support each other. He's the one that has been telling the world about nukes getting into the wrong hands for years. Suddenly everyone has turned on him. I can't say I know a lot about the gov't workings there. What authority does he have to get rid of Hamas and how does their being in power help him?

Do not assume "Arabs"... (you do know there are millions of Jewish and Christian Arabs right?) support Hamas.
Yes, actually I have a Christian pastor friend that is Arab. But as I asked before why won't Egypt and surrounding countries help get rid of Hamas? And why are their borders closed to Arab refugees?

People in the west unfortunately grew up in a society with tremendous freedom in terms of speech and politics and forget that others don't have that. They also don't have the same access and free flow of information we do.
Yes, I had a friend that lived State side for a while who didn't know what happened at Pearl Harbor. She went to visit and she was shocked to learn the truth. She kept saying " I did not know, I did not know". All that being said, do you believe with Hamas out of the way there would be peace? It seems to me there is a force in place there that represents a bigger power that doesn't want the Jews in Israel, period. There is a reason they are chanting "from the river to the sea" here in America and stopping traffic. Israel has 1% of the land in the middle east, someone, someone with a lot of power doesn't want them to have a homeland. Bigger than Hamas, they just seem to be the useful idiots on the ground. Getting Bebe out of office isn't going to bring peace that I can see.

current Israeli government is committing genocide against Palestinians (consisting of Semitic people), and it is said the Israeli government can't be anti-semitic? The word has lost its meaning.
I was overjoyed when I read your post.
The problem is not the Jewish people. As an American I can say the Jreish people are good people.
The rulers of Israel do not care about the lives of others, they (IDF) murdered three fellow Jews because they were found in Gaza. They waved a white flag and spoke in Hebrew, and they murdered them anyway.
A totally ungodly act.
The Lord I know will not forgive them

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
Lol "You're taking slavery and killing out of context".
Slavery and killing happen the world over to this day. A lot of people would claim a lot of it is justified (i.e. taken out of context). We just have nicer words to describe such evils/punishments these days.

You are not a serious person.
Claims the one who starts a thread to "answer a few questions", and then refuses to answer more than a few questions. Lol.

You've also clearly never actually read anything Martin Luther wrote.
Obviously I have, or it would have been obvious to all, and it wouldn't have been necessary for you to make such a claim.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
The problem is not the Jewish people. As an American I can say the Jreish people are good people.
The rulers of Israel do not care about the lives of others, they (IDF) murdered three fellow Jews because they were found in Gaza. They waved a white flag and spoke in Hebrew, and they murdered them anyway.
A totally ungodly act.
The only thing I know for sure about God is, nobody knows everything about him. You would be surprised what God will do.

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
A totally ungodly act.
The Lord can forgive even these for their wickedness, if they but confess through the blood and resurrection of Christ the Messiah. But how great and how just their punishment in eternal hellfire, if they do not repent.

Aviva

Dec 3, 2023
Canada
Slavery and killing happen the world over to this day. A lot of people would claim a lot of it is justified (i.e. taken out of context). We just have nicer words to describe such evils/punishments these days.
I don't recall anyone saying slavery isn't a big deal because it's common. Slavery is the practice of forcing people into labour and owning other human beings against their will. This includes deprivation of all rights including the right not to be treated violently or to be sexually abused. You're either a troll or ignorant.

Claims the one who starts a thread to "answer a few questions", and then refuses to answer more than a few questions. Lol.
How this is relevant to any of my points in this thread escapes me. The thread is titles "a few questions" not "answers anything asked regardless" I answered questions that weren't passive aggressive or phrased in such a way as to make an answer impossible. I don't have an obligation to answer everyone, especially people who are rude to me. I even stated as such in that thread. Perhaps reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.

Obviously I have, or it would have been obvious to all, and it wouldn't have been necessary for you to make such a claim.
No, you have not read anything by Martin Luther because you are factually incorrect about his words. You've read ABOUT his words but if you had read his words you would not be making the statements you are. Either that or you're a vicious antisemite.

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
Martin Luther wrote horrendous things about the Jews. It’s no way around that.
I'm not saying that I'm familiar with all Martin Luther's writings, but I don't think what I've read is horrendous. I believe a Christian society should be protected from the evils of false religion. There is a similar case today with the decapitation of a Baphomet statue dedicated to Satan (i.e. devil worshippers claim it is part of their freedom to practice religion). False religions should have no part in civilised society.

In the Old Testament, witches and false prophets were put to death. I don't see putting subversives to work for their ill-gotten gains, or better expelling them from Christian society altogether as anything terrible. Obviously, subversives wouldn't like to be put out of society, as they'd probably have to work harder to survive than if simply put to labour for their daily bread.