Anxiety Struggles

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

LindiBanda

Jul 3, 2021
Hi family,

Just wondering, who here has struggled with anxiety? What has been your solution? If still are currently struggling, what would you find most helpful in your struggle?

Pengwyn

Jun 16, 2021
What kind of anxiety?

I was born unable to really speak, and from there became a selective mute, eventually through effort, I was able to more freely speak, however, the years of just being unable to speak, and being pushed around once I could, what little I could, caused really bad social anxiety to form. For me stress causes me to be physically ill, so I had to leave school when I was young, because I would be so bad off, I'd even gotten to the point where I started coughing blood, waking up unable to breathe, and would have, at times crippling stomach pain.

Now, I have a job, and when I speak people would say they would never even think I ever had a problem with it. I am an acolyte of the church. Etc. But how did I get there?
It was simply through challenging myself. A therapist, or group therapy can help, but in general its completely up to you. Think of the things you want, the goals you want to achieve, and make steps towards them. If you have problems socially, challenge yourself to make phone calls, to join a club or something like a sunday school/bible study, and be okay where you are now, but have the hunger to improve. Don't beat yourself up, if you cannot contribute to the conversations at first. You'll find the more you do something, the easier it'll become. Talk to yourself in a mirror. Learn another language for fun.

You're the one thing in your life you can control. Focus on your three foot world. This is true for any fear or anxiety problem. If you are afraid of swimming, start by submerging your feet in water, not jumping into the ocean. Don't focus on big goals. Set something simple. Do the small stuff, and the big things will follow.

Most of all, learn to love and appreciate yourself. A lot of problems stem from lack of self-confidence. Don't be wanting to deal with your anxiety because you think you're a failure if you don't or something like that. Want to do it to better yourself. As you would feel about learning any new skill.

Since you are on a Christian forum, have faith. The lord has given you these challenges because he trusts you to share in his suffering, and overcome it, and thus temper your spirit.

Isny

Jan 15, 2017
Hi family,

Just wondering, who here has struggled with anxiety? What has been your solution? If still are currently struggling, what would you find most helpful in your struggle?
Hello Lindi,
The comments made by Pengwyn above appear to be good advice. You may be able to get more responses in the thread "Anyone Battling Anxiety/panic Disorder" which is in the Natural Health Forum here at Christian Chat. There are many very nice people here who are concerned about the welfare of others. Just relax and make yourself at home. Look through the forums to find a thread that interests you and join in on the discussion. We look forward to chatting with you. Welcome Lindi!

LindiBanda

Jul 3, 2021
Hello Lindi,
The comments made by Pengwyn above appear to be good advice. You may be able to get more responses in the thread "Anyone Battling Anxiety/panic Disorder" which is in the Natural Health Forum here at Christian Chat. There are many very nice people here who are concerned about the welfare of others. Just relax and make yourself at home. Look through the forums to find a thread that interests you and join in on the discussion. We look forward to chatting with you. Welcome Lindi!
Thank you. I will check for that Natural Health Forum

LindiBanda

Jul 3, 2021
Hello Lindi,
What kind of anxiety?

I was born unable to really speak, and from there became a selective mute, eventually through effort, I was able to more freely speak, however, the years of just being unable to speak, and being pushed around once I could, what little I could, caused really bad social anxiety to form. For me stress causes me to be physically ill, so I had to leave school when I was young, because I would be so bad off, I'd even gotten to the point where I started coughing blood, waking up unable to breathe, and would have, at times crippling stomach pain.

Now, I have a job, and when I speak people would say they would never even think I ever had a problem with it. I am an acolyte of the church. Etc. But how did I get there?
It was simply through challenging myself. A therapist, or group therapy can help, but in general its completely up to you. Think of the things you want, the goals you want to achieve, and make steps towards them. If you have problems socially, challenge yourself to make phone calls, to join a club or something like a sunday school/bible study, and be okay where you are now, but have the hunger to improve. Don't beat yourself up, if you cannot contribute to the conversations at first. You'll find the more you do something, the easier it'll become. Talk to yourself in a mirror. Learn another language for fun.

You're the one thing in your life you can control. Focus on your three foot world. This is true for any fear or anxiety problem. If you are afraid of swimming, start by submerging your feet in water, not jumping into the ocean. Don't focus on big goals. Set something simple. Do the small stuff, and the big things will follow.

Most of all, learn to love and appreciate yourself. A lot of problems stem from lack of self-confidence. Don't be wanting to deal with your anxiety because you think you're a failure if you don't or something like that. Want to do it to better yourself. As you would feel about learning any new skill.

Since you are on a Christian forum, have faith. The lord has given you these challenges because he trusts you to share in his suffering, and overcome it, and thus temper your spirit.
Wow what a Testimony.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Hi family,

Yes I have. Nervousness seems to run in the family, particularly on my dad's side. It ruined his life, and a good part of mine. I believe that the only way out is developing deeper faith in the protecting, loving, wisdom of God. He knows what He is doing and He is big enough to take care of us. A friend just reminded me that "calm seas never made skilled sailors". Let go and let God. Lots of people think they are in control of their lives. It is they, not us, who are deceived.

Jeremiah
29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.
29:12 Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you.
29:13 And ye shall seek me, and find [me], when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

Welcome to CC and to your new family, dear sister Lindi.:):coffee:

oyster67

May 24, 2014
the years of just being unable to speak, and being pushed around once I could, what little I could, caused really bad social anxiety to form. For me stress causes me to be physically ill,
I experienced similar things in my childhood. It is comforting to know that I am not the only one who experienced this. I could not speak to more than one or two people at a time unless I was reading to them and did not have to look at them.

Everything changed for me when I first stood up to testify in Church. I opened up my mouth and haven't shut it since!!!:D PTL!

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Now, I have a job, and when I speak people would say they would never even think I ever had a problem with it. I am an acolyte of the church. Etc.
PTL! A warm welcome to you also, Justin. Thank you so much for your testimony!:):coffee:

Galatians 5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only [use] not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Hi family,

I occasionally struggle with anxiety. During those times I say a prayer for God to take control of whatever is causing the turmoil in my mind and to allow me to place my trust in Him. "Fear not" says the Lord. Of course, at least for me, that is easier said than done. There a few others on this site that struggle with anxiety too so please know that you are not alone in this. Glad to have you as a member of our family. Welcome to CC.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
. A friend just reminded me that "calm seas never made skilled sailors".
I like that a lot and find that to be profound. I believe that we are defined by the struggles of life and how we chose to face those trying times.

Nov 26, 2012
Hi family,

Every person is different. Every situation is different. Some anxiety is helpful. It actually initiates stress protocol in the body to react, and resolve problems. The problems occur when we are too fearful to make those changes. Then we have perpetual stress and no improvement.

I have always had anxiety. My mind is seldom at rest. It fuels me. Two things keep me fearless. First is that I’ve had to deal with many problems and unfavourable situations all of my life. Every time I pulled through. I’m confident there is no situation I can’t handle. If a can’t, it leads to the second reason I’m fearless. I really don’t care about anything but my relationship with God. Since that is built strong, nothing else matters.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Hi family,

I've had it for at least 15 years now. Anxiety is simply a misfiring of adrenaline. It initiates the fight or flight reflex when there is nothing to fight or run from.
Typically there is a trigger of some sort that is at the foundation of it all. A big trick is to find that central trigger and deal with the issue relating to it. But this is easier said than done.
Most people who have anxiety once are prone to experience it again, throughout their life.
Depending on the severity of your anxiety more natural approaches can help. The usual exercise, eat healthy and plenty of sleep are one part. But there are natural supplements available that can help curb anxiety, making it easier to deal with.
For more severe cases medicine then becomes useful, but it should be used in conjunction with counseling. The meds help alleviate the symptoms making it easier to focus on resolving the core issue. Once completed the meds should be discontinued.
So I'd advise find a counselor for lesser anxiety, and if yours is severe enough ensure that counselor has a connection to a psychiatrist for the meds.
Bear in mind sometimes anxiety partners with other mental illness, and thus may be harder to treat. I, for one, have anxiety and depression both. But if you're confident there are no other issues then some counseling with a good counselor should help.

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
Nice to meet you and how sweet, the Lord led you to CC where we all connect with other Christians:) God tells us so many times in His Word 'not to be anxious' and He is always right, lol. I know it's a challenge so I now have many key goto Scriptures I refer to. 'Cast all our care up to Him', 'Don't be anxious about anything' and 'Can all our worry cause any changes' are some plus so many more. Also I like some of the old time preachers who have great legacies by their video messages online. Remember God did not give us the spirit of fear but of a sound mind w/peace. God bless you and your family always:)

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
Hi family,

Hello Lindi[lou]

There is no other solution to human woe than the cross, anxiety is actually a sin and you have to see it as such but see it as a sin that has been forgiven ... look at Jesus on the cross, He is bearing your anxiety. Thank Him for that.

The cross works miraculously.

de-emerald

May 8, 2021
Hi family,

Welcome to cc i hope and pray you will be ok one day soon. may our lord bless you and keep you and i hope you enjoy your stay..