Anyone reading a good book at the moment?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 2, 2009
I do not like reading books
I won't read them in a nook

I won't read them on a bus
I don't read them when I must

I won't read them here or there
I won't read them anywhere

Books are often just a sham
I won't read them, Sam I am

You're welcome.

Aug 2, 2009
I would love to WRITE a book
I would love to be a cook

Reading books just takes awhile
That is why they're not my style

Writing's more about expression
Reading puts me in depression

I can only read so much
Before I feel I'm out of touch

With all I know I could be doing
All the things I am eschewing

Writing's more the thing I love
Just wish I knew what to write of..

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
You need to start a new thread called....

Anyone writing a good book at the moment?

M

MegMarch

I recently finished Brave New World. It has moved into my favorite dystopian novel slot. Excellent choice if you want a book to make you consider the magnitude of consequence of material subjugation.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
reading...Here in the Real World by Sara Pennypacker. Its a childrens fiction about an introverted 11 year old boy who meets a girl around the same age one summer whos gardening in an abandoned church. shes been abandoned by her own parents. He vows to save the garden from developers and also try to figure out how to become born again. It's set in Florida.

Am up to page 277. I want the redemptive ending....! Tag line says 'what does it take to be a hero?'

Descyple

Jun 7, 2010
I'm currently reading (for a second time) the book "Jesus Among Other Gods" by Ravi Zacharias.

"In him (Christ) is not just an offer of life's bread. He is the bread. That is why being a Christian is not just a way of feeding and living. Following Christ begins with a way of relating and being." - Ravi Zacharias

Poinsetta

Nov 24, 2018
Searching for Sunday by Rachel Held Evans

TamLynn

A heart at rest
Nov 27, 2014
In the last few months I've read:
Moving Mountains by John Eldrege
The Women of Easter by Liz Higgins
12 Patients by Eric Manheim (or Manheimer, I can't remember)
Defiant Joy by Stasi Eldredge

They were all excellent!

(12 Patients is the book that inspired the show New Amsterdam).

Today I'm starting All Things New by John Eldredge.
😁

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
I'm currently reading (for a second time) the book "Jesus Among Other Gods" by Ravi Zacharias.

"In him (Christ) is not just an offer of life's bread. He is the bread. That is why being a Christian is not just a way of feeding and living. Following Christ begins with a way of relating and being." - Ravi Zacharias
The recent death of Ravi was a great loss to the Church.

Poinsetta

Nov 24, 2018
Handle with Prayer by Charles Stanley

I wanna finish 'The Most Beautiful Thing I've Ever Seen by Lisa Gungor

Commanda89

Apr 3, 2020
Yes! I'm currently reading Dune. Classic sci fi. I'm re-reading it b/c the movie is suppose to come out end of the year.

Jun 5, 2020
Anyone reading any good books? Or have any recommendations?

I've started a (non-Christian) book called The Unexpected Joy of Being Single, which is really good so far! I'm also reading (yep, two at once haha) a Christian living book by Banning Liebscher called Rooted, which is also really great!
Slaying Dragons by Daniel Kolenda

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I picked up this one from the library

Marley Dias gets it done and so can you!

Never heard of her? she is the founder of #1000blackgirlbooks

started when she was in fifth grade and their reading lists only featured white boys and their dogs. As long as teachers didnt make children read Lord of the Flies Im happy cos that book was awful. And it only had boys in it. No girl characters. No wonder they ended up killing each other.

Of course, you can always be the main character in your own book if you write one yourself. Getting it published is a hurdle and a half though but even back in Jesus time at the end of Johns gospel it was said and there were also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written

cue exploding libraries everywhere. There has gotta be more than 1000 books in heaven and possibly all the books that DIDNT make it into the Bible.

I dont write em though its a big enough job collecting them and organising them all.

the other one Im in the middle of is Samoan Parables. by Kenneth W Smith

Jun 6, 2020
I would love to WRITE a book
I would love to be a cook

Reading books just takes awhile
That is why they're not my style

Writing's more about expression
Reading puts me in depression

I can only read so much
Before I feel I'm out of touch

With all I know I could be doing
All the things I am eschewing

Writing's more the thing I love
Just wish I knew what to write of..

This is really good! Would you really like to be a cook, or did you just put that because it rhymed so well? 🙂

Jun 6, 2020

I've read that one!

Aug 2, 2009
This is really good! Would you really like to be a cook, or did you just put that because it rhymed so well? 🙂
I'd love to be a cook and to write a book, but right now I don't have patience for either of them. I just started learning guitar though. :)

Jun 6, 2020
I'd love to be a cook and to write a book, but right now I don't have patience for either of them. I just started learning guitar though. :)
@zeroturbulence Thanks for the kind response :) I thought you probably wouldn't write something you didn't mean. I can't say that I'd like to be a cook... Lol. But I would perhaps like to write a book. I've never learned guitar, but in earlier years I played a little piano.

And just so that I don't derail the thread too terribly:
While I predominantly choose to read the Bible these days, in the past several months I have also begun 7 Women by Eric Metaxas and Joyful Surrender by Elisabeth Elliot.

Aug 2, 2009
@zeroturbulence Thanks for the kind response :) I thought you probably wouldn't write something you didn't mean. I can't say that I'd like to be a cook... Lol. But I would perhaps like to write a book. I've never learned guitar, but in earlier years I played a little piano.

And just so that I don't derail the thread too terribly:
While I predominantly choose to read the Bible these days, in the past several months I have also begun 7 Women by Eric Metaxas and Joyful Surrender by Elisabeth Elliot.
It's ok. I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking I used the word cook just because it rhymed. I realize now that it sounds like I want to work for a restaurant, but I just meant to be a good cook lol.

Sep 13, 2018
Oddessey
It's ok. I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking I used the word cook just because it rhymed. I realize now that it sounds like I want to work for a restaurant, but I just meant to be a good cook lol.
So you are reading dr. Seuss?