Apostles

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Needevidence

Mar 15, 2023

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
There are only 12 'true' apostles - Rev 21:14 The wall of the city had twelve foundations bearing the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb. Many used it as a loose term to imply those who are followers - but not in the true sense / or they were attempting to decieve. Warning in Rev 2:1-3 relates to false apostles who go to Ephesus - '....you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false.....'
To carry that logic forward, "testing them" was a simple exercise in matching the person with a name of the 12?

"I know your works, your labor, your patience, and that you cannot bear those who are evil. And you have tested those who say they are apostles and are not, and have found them liars; 3 and you have persevered and have patience, and have labored for My name’s sake and have not become weary..."

I mean, that's not a labor that requires much patience at all, right?

No, of course not.

Very likely, those who claimed to be sent by the Lord taught things contrary to what had already been written: the Lord through the Spirit will never contradict Himself. They were also without power and/or authority. Only those who go with the Lord may carry His presence.

Needevidence

Mar 15, 2023
yes - they taught contrary to the Lord. My point was that only 12 apostles - anyone else who says they are an apostle are either 'false' or use the term loosely, they could be a follower, spreading a message etc... but not 1 of the 12.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
yes - they taught contrary to the Lord. My point was that only 12 apostles - anyone else who says they are an apostle are either 'false' or use the term loosely, they could be a follower, spreading a message etc... but not 1 of the 12.
How do you deal with the fact that there are more than 12 apostles named in the scriptures?

Needevidence

Mar 15, 2023
How do you deal with the fact that there are more than 12 apostles named in the scriptures?

Sorry I seemed to have overlooked your comment;

Apostles & prophets / Priests etc… were used loosely – those who followed, preached, were of knowledge and trustworthy gained a higher status – nothing more.

Otherwise, there were many Apostles – even prophets that came after Jesus such as Agubus, four unmarried daughters of Philip and others – but Jesus fulfilled all already.

Rev 21:14 The wall of the city had twelve foundations bearing the names of the twelve apostles…… – otherwise, it is arguably a contradiction.

Luke 6:12-16 - 13 When morning came, he called his disciples to him and chose twelve of them, whom he also designated apostles:

Acts 1:21-24 21 Therefore it is necessary to choose one of the men who have been with us the whole time the Lord Jesus was living among us, 22 beginning from John’s baptism to the time when Jesus was taken up from us. For one of these must become a witness with us of his resurrection.” 23 So they nominated two men: Joseph called Barsabbas (also known as Justus) and Matthias. 24 Then they prayed, “Lord, you know everyone’s heart. Show us which of these two you have chosen

[criteria and Lord inspired choice - no one after Jesus ascended can really say they are Apostles]

[arguably everyone can be an apostle / prophet]
1 Cor. 14:31 – 31 For you can all prophesy one by one, that all may learn and all may be encouraged.

All prophets are guided by the Father including Jesus -

John 12:49-50For I did not speak on my own initiative, but the father himself who sent me has given me a commandment as to what to say and what to speak. I know that His commandment is eternal life; therefore, the things I speak, I speak just as the Father has told me.

Albeit Paul does say - 1 Corinthians 7:25 Now concerning the unmarried, I have no command of the Lord, but I give my opinion as one who by the Lord’s mercy is trustworthy.

Even though Paul and Barnabas have been referred as apostles they were not considered as leading men
Acts 15:22 - 22 Then it pleased the apostles and elders, with the whole church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas, namely, Judas who was also named Barsabas, and Silas, leading men among the brethren.

1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. [Jesus would not be talking about Prophets sent by God – those who say they are prophet]

Matt 23:8 But you, do not be called ‘Rabbi’; for One is your Teacher, the Christ, and you are all brethren.

It’s a bit confusing, IMO the term Apostle / prophet etc… seemed to have been used very loosely after Jesus - there can only be 12 True Apostles as there are only 12 foundations – many preachers etc….

DJT_47

Oct 20, 2022
So apostles is listed as an office of the church or ministry in the bible. That means more than just the 12 and Paul. So where are their epistles. It's the primary job of apostles to have epistles. I personally think there are more books to the scriptures and often read the apocryphal books. If it's an office of the church then it wasn't limited to a few. I really don't want to argue if there are apostles today as I tend to believe the Bible is the perfect or complete that fulfilled all that. But we could have more writers before. There are a lot of these books on Google books usually as a set. The Greek matches new testament greek.
There WERE only those listed in the bible and none today. The 12, then Mathias added to replace Judas, and then Saul (Paul) called by the Lord. That's it. No more.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
It’s a bit confusing, IMO the term Apostle / prophet etc… seemed to have been used very loosely after Jesus - there can only be 12 True Apostles as there are only 12 foundations – many preachers etc….
There are only 12 Apostles of the Lamb who make up the foundation seen in heaven.

But, there were many more apostles other than The 12.

If we agree that all scriptures are Spirit-breathed, we cannot say the use of a word is "loose".

Needevidence

Mar 15, 2023
There are only 12 Apostles of the Lamb who make up the foundation seen in heaven.

But, there were many more apostles other than The 12.

If we agree that all scriptures are Spirit-breathed, we cannot say the use of a word is "loose".

so are you saying there is no difference in RANK between the 12 & all the other Apostles that have been mentioned (Paul, Barnabas, Silas, Timothy, apostles etc...)?

So we had lots of 'true' prophets as well after Jesus (Agubus, four unmarried daughters of Philip and others) - there mission was?

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
so are you saying there is no difference in RANK between the 12 & all the other Apostles that have been mentioned (Paul, Barnabas, Silas, Timothy, apostles etc...)?

So we had lots of 'true' prophets as well after Jesus (Agubus, four unmarried daughters of Philip and others) - there mission was?
It's clear the 12 are given higher honor as their names are written on the foundations. However "rank" in the Kingdom of God is not determined by office but by maturity. Maturity comes by walking in the word in spirit and in truth.

Furthermore, maturity is not necessarily a function of age. Some old believers need milk because they are yet unable to receive a mature message. This is why Paul encouraged Timothy to not let others despise him for his youth but gave instruction to "be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity."

As far as an apostle's mission...
Establishing elders in an area is clearly seen in the record. Given their level of responsibility apostles are often elders, too. An elder is responsible for the care of the saints in their area of influence. An apostle's influence is trans-local. So, an apostle who is an elder would care of the saints in his local church but, when he is sent as an apostle (or asked to visit another area,) he would help the elders in that area care for the saints.

He also works with the prophets to deliver the word the Lord is speaking in the moment. The prophets are given the word and the apostles are gifted with the administration of that word (if administration is required). As an elder he would do this locally. As an apostle, he would help the elders elsewhere with the administration.

These are simply just examples and certainly not an exhaustive list.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Contradicts

Perhaps rather than reading apocryhal writtings, you should stick with canon.
The books of the cannon have changed over the years. We are saying that we are smarter,, that we have more insight, than all the men who listed Enoch as part of the cannon.

L

Locoponydirtman

The books of the cannon have changed over the years. We are saying that we are smarter,, that we have more insight, than all the men who listed Enoch as part of the cannon.
I think you need to study scripture history.

Stupidity is not a matter of intellect. It is a moral issue.

Needevidence

Mar 15, 2023
It's clear the 12 are given higher honor as their names are written on the foundations. However "rank" in the Kingdom of God is not determined by office but by maturity. Maturity comes by walking in the word in spirit and in truth.

Furthermore, maturity is not necessarily a function of age. Some old believers need milk because they are yet unable to receive a mature message. This is why Paul encouraged Timothy to not let others despise him for his youth but gave instruction to "be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity."

As far as an apostle's mission...
Establishing elders in an area is clearly seen in the record. Given their level of responsibility apostles are often elders, too. An elder is responsible for the care of the saints in their area of influence. An apostle's influence is trans-local. So, an apostle who is an elder would care of the saints in his local church but, when he is sent as an apostle (or asked to visit another area,) he would help the elders in that area care for the saints.

He also works with the prophets to deliver the word the Lord is speaking in the moment. The prophets are given the word and the apostles are gifted with the administration of that word (if administration is required). As an elder he would do this locally. As an apostle, he would help the elders elsewhere with the administration.

These are simply just examples and certainly not an exhaustive list.

Higher honour - clearly differentiates, that's why I used the term 'Apostles were used loosely' when referred to others. Clearly evidence as to how they were chosen no such evidence/revelations related to others being Apostles / Prophets. With respect your examples don’t provide evidence, more opinion to justify. I don’t think we can really take this further - all the best.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
Higher honour - clearly differentiates, that's why I used the term 'Apostles were used loosely' when referred to others. Clearly evidence as to how they were chosen no such evidence/revelations related to others being Apostles / Prophets. With respect your examples don’t provide evidence, more opinion to justify. I don’t think we can really take this further - all the best.
What is it you need evidence of?

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
In scriptures the 12 apostles were chosen by Jesus, and knew him personally. Judas failed JESUS and was replaced by matthias;

Matthias Chosen to Replace Judas
Act 1:12 Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey.

Act 1:13 And when they were come in, they went up into an upper room, where abode both Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas the brotherof James.

Act 1:14 These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.

Act 1:15 And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples, and said, (the number of names together were about an hundred and twenty,)

Act 1:16 Men and brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus.

Act 1:17 For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry.

Act 1:18 Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.

Act 1:19 And it was known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue, Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood.

Act 1:20 For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and let no man dwell therein: and his bishoprick let another take.

Act 1:21 Wherefore of these men which have companied with us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us,

Act 1:22 Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection.

Act 1:23 And they appointed two, Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias.

Act 1:24 And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen,

Act 1:25 That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.

Act 1:26 And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

There were only 12 apostles, that number is always present in the bible even in the description of the future new Jerusalem in the 12 gates, 12 tribes etc... see revelations 21.

Blessings,
I just found this thread so I am currently trying to catch up but I just had to respond to this as I think it was the confirmation I had been waiting for.
Lately for reasons unknown God has made the number 24 a main focus that along with the 12 tribes and also the 24 elders in revelation. and in particular of the tribes he wants me to focus on the tribe of levi

So far I have done some reasearch on these things and there are certainly a lot of connections I found but he is only giving me pieces at a time and I don't really have all the info or know exactly how to organize it which is weird because that normally is not to much of an issue with me but this is something new and he is trying to say something from it all

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
So apostles is listed as an office of the church or ministry in the bible. That means more than just the 12 and Paul. So where are their epistles. It's the primary job of apostles to have epistles. I personally think there are more books to the scriptures and often read the apocryphal books. If it's an office of the church then it wasn't limited to a few. I really don't want to argue if there are apostles today as I tend to believe the Bible is the perfect or complete that fulfilled all that. But we could have more writers before. There are a lot of these books on Google books usually as a set. The Greek matches new testament greek.
I believe there are more, certainly Paul alludes to letters which we do not have.

I believe there was a purge, when the church chose [wickedly in my view] to sideline the Millennial doctrine and replace it with Amillennialism, just knowing the way people do things tells me they would have purged as much of the references to the Millennial age out as they dared ... you have to really dig for truth regarding the 1, 000 years.

If you don't believe the Mill you will scarcely see it in the NT if you do believe then you see it everywhere in connection with other doctrines.

However

If they still exist they are hidden in some vault in the Vatican, if they are gone they are gone.

We must make do and be satisfied with the scriptures we have, we have plenty, plenty. Enough for all our needs spiritually, physically and mentally. Don't go off into apocrypha.

To give an example of seeing the Mill in Paul's writings he talks about the whole creation groaning in travail and longing to be released from it's bondage to decay at the revelation of the sons of God. That only makes sense if you believe in the Mill.

Marilyn

Jul 27, 2021
Hi Jonathan,

I was brought up with apostles, and they have been given by the ascended Lord, Head of His Body to reveal Christ to us. That is in character, and His purposes as written in God`s word. By the Holy Spirit we need more clarification as over the years much error has come in, thus the need for truth.

Needevidence

Mar 15, 2023
What is it you need evidence of?
Well any particular belief needs to be backed by evidence - i cannot just take what 'Jo Blog' tells me, I have to check to make sure it is accurate / correct. Most reliable evidence - many say they are apostles now I take that as people who are preaching.

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
We must make do and be satisfied with the scriptures we have, we have plenty, plenty.
Or do Much More with God's Preserved Word Of Truth! i.e.:

) Trust in It (Psalm 119:42)
) does your heart 'Stand in Awe' Of It (Psalm 119:161)?
) Speak of It (Psalm 119:172)...

...And Much More!:

Handling The Word Of Life!

Amen?

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
Or do Much More with God's Preserved Word Of Truth! i.e.:

) Trust in It (Psalm 119:42)
) does your heart 'Stand in Awe' Of It (Psalm 119:161)?
) Speak of It (Psalm 119:172)...

...And Much More!:

Handling The Word Of Life!

Amen?
what I mean is it is a great mistake to go outside of scripture, God speaks in scripture.

I also would say if we had only John's gospel or Romans or Galatians they would suffice us for this life.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
Well any particular belief needs to be backed by evidence - i cannot just take what 'Jo Blog' tells me, I have to check to make sure it is accurate / correct. Most reliable evidence - many say they are apostles now I take that as people who are preaching.
Well, anyone can call themselves an apostle today. What, to you, would be the proof that they are truly called by God to be an apostle?