Are Roman Catholics Christians

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

MarkWilliams

Jun 13, 2018
Can a person be a devout Roman Catholic and be a faithful follower of Christ at the same time.

Most of my family, and relatives are Roman Catholics. They all claim to be Christians as well but they reject much of the Gospel. They only accept the parts where God showed His love to the world by sending His Son to be crucified to atone for the sins of the whole world.

They don't believe in being born again and giving your life to the Lord, they believe Mary is the mediator and Jesus provided the sacrifice for salvation.

Some have said that a Roman Catholic cannot be a christian so they're not saved. I find that hard to accept, of the 1.5 billion I'm sure that many will be saved but how can we identify the ones that are worth our time to witness to.

I have invested a lot of my time sharing the Gospel with them and I have seen no fruit at all. Where do I draw the line and say, enough of casting pearls before the swine.

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014
Well, this only know God, who sees into the heart. I also have many relatives who are Roman Catholics, but they do not accept Jesus into their heart. Once I met a nun which was in an leader position and she told me that as believer you cant be shure that you are saved. This was surprising me.
I know that I am saved, because the bible says so. The most Roman Catholics and Protestants in germany are only nominell christians. ( As I was before)

Nov 12, 2015
Can a person be a devout Roman Catholic and be a faithful follower of Christ at the same time.

Most of my family, and relatives are Roman Catholics. They all claim to be Christians as well but they reject much of the Gospel. They only accept the parts where God showed His love to the world by sending His Son to be crucified to atone for the sins of the whole world.

They don't believe in being born again and giving your life to the Lord, they believe Mary is the mediator and Jesus provided the sacrifice for salvation.

Some have said that a Roman Catholic cannot be a christian so they're not saved. I find that hard to accept, of the 1.5 billion I'm sure that many will be saved but how can we identify the ones that are worth our time to witness to.

I have invested a lot of my time sharing the Gospel with them and I have seen no fruit at all. Where do I draw the line and say, enough of casting pearls before the swine.

You were caught in the web too. God didn't give up on you. Have you ever heard where a man said this:
Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words.

Feb 21, 2012

A man is not saved according to his "denomination" but a man is saved if he has confessed Jesus as Lord and believes in his heart that God raised him from the dead.

Nov 12, 2015
Yes, and when He says: come out of her my people, He will not only be calling them out of the RCC but out of every place where they are.

Nov 12, 2015
Most catholics believe in works salvation and in their traditions.
This doesn't just describe catholics. I was never a catholic and I was caught in trying to be good by trying hard to be good! I was a foolish Galatian for many, many years.

Tinkerbell725

Jul 19, 2014
Philippines Age 40
This doesn't just describe catholics. I was never a catholic and I was caught in trying to be good by trying hard to be good! I was a foolish Galatian for many, many years.

I was a baptized in the catholic faith and my country is full of catholics due to Spanish influence. But I accepted Jesus Christ when I was in high school. I often argue with catholic friends before but they were so hard to convince.

Nov 12, 2015
I was a baptized in the catholic faith and my country is full of catholics due to Spanish influence. But I accepted Jesus Christ when I was in high school. I often argue with catholic friends before but they were so hard to convince.
Yes, people are hard to convince of views other than the ones they hold. :)

MarkWilliams

Jun 13, 2018
Yes, and when He says: come out of her my people, He will not only be calling them out of the RCC but out of every place where they are.
I'm not only picking on the Roman Catholic Church I should have mentioned that. The vast majority of "Christian Churches" have a man centered foundation. Their confession is not based on a sound Biblical foundation, the Seventh Day Adventist Church believes that Jesus was created and many other popular Churches have unbiblical beliefs.
Sadly I would say the number of Churches that preach the Word of God faithfully is relatively small

Nov 12, 2015
Oh, I didn't think you were picking on the RCC! :)
That's where you were when you met God. Of course they would be on your heart!

Nov 12, 2015
When I share my thoughts, it's not to say you are doing something wrong. It's just thoughts that occur to me. :)
I'm always having a conversation. I'm never trying to argue. Just exchange and share thoughts.

jameen

Feb 5, 2018
Manila
Any Christian from any Christian groups can be the real Christian as long as he loves his neighbor (1 John 4:20-21)

the meaning of the Christian love can be found in the whole 1 Corinthians chapter 13.

if you see these traits on either Evangelical, Catholic/Coptic/Orthodox etc.

he is a real Christian in the sight of God.

BTW Bro I do suggest to ask Catholic Apologetic experts I mentioned to you. (Scott Hahn/Steve Shotts/Abe Arganiosa) to know for yourself if Catholic teachings are based in the Bible.

and why join newly established bible based groups that most if not all only make the members' money merchandise of greedy pastors?

for me this is a scam that the police will never persecute and some policemen will join this scam made by these pastors.

if you'll join a church then join a church that really is the continuation of the 1st century christian church (just either choose catholic/coptic/orthodox christian churches)

jameen

Feb 5, 2018
Manila
A man is not saved according to his "denomination" but a man is saved if he has confessed Jesus as Lord and believes in his heart that God raised him from the dead.
but the denomination is the one who will teach a Christian all forms of godliness.

the real God's Church is Jesus' body in Colossians Chapter 1.

you are beheading Jesus if you don't want the body the Church but only the head of the body who is Jesus.

MarkWilliams

Jun 13, 2018
Any Christian from any Christian groups can be the real Christian as long as he loves his neighbor (1 John 4:20-21)

the meaning of the Christian love can be found in the whole 1 Corinthians chapter 13.

BTW Bro I do suggest to ask Catholic Apologetic experts I mentioned to you. (Scott Hahn/Steve Shotts/Abe Arganiosa) to know for yourself if Catholic teachings are based in the Bible.

and why join newly established bible based groups that most if not all only make the members' money merchandise of greedy pastors?

for me this is a scam that the police will never persecute and some policemen will join this scam made by these pastors.

if you'll join a church then join a church that really is the continuation of the 1st century christian church (just either choose catholic/coptic/orthodox christian churches)
The Holy Bible calls the Roman Catholic Church "the great harlot, who is drunk on the blood of saints".
Do you realize that the Vatican has murdered over 50 million Christian saints?, well you should know the truth about your organisation. The Book of Revelation describes the Catholic Church in great detail, it is Apostate and Antichrist.
The truth is coming out, check it out. Just google the facts about it and you will be shocked, and if you remain in it you will suffer Gods judgement with it.

Latour

Jun 11, 2018

All churches have many foibles in either their beliefs or else their practices. No brand-name church follows the bible anyway. People follow traditions. Just because we don't all share the same errors doesn't mean we can judge others for it. If we judge...we will also be judged...because we are really not that different.

Latour

Jun 11, 2018

Amen! That is the LEAST we can do as Christians...to love others as ourselves. Beyond that I wouldn'd go casting stones as to who is not loving God as much.

The main trait of a Christian should be humility. That is something those who like "witnessing" to other Christians could learn.

Nov 12, 2015
All churches have many foibles in either their beliefs or else their practices. No brand-name church follows the bible anyway. People follow traditions. Just because we don't all share the same errors doesn't mean we can judge others for it. If we judge...we will also be judged...because we are really not that different.
You mean I'm just like other men...??
I had rather supposed I was much better...:p

Latour

Jun 11, 2018
And then there's just...forget the whole religious system...since it is from men (and often even named after men)...follow God, walk in the Spirit, love the brethren and love all people.