Are Roman Catholics Christians

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

MarkWilliams

Jun 13, 2018
All churches have many foibles in either their beliefs or else their practices. No brand-name church follows the bible anyway. People follow traditions. Just because we don't all share the same errors doesn't mean we can judge others for it. If we judge...we will also be judged...because we are really not that different.
That's not true of the Church that I'm a member of. We are a transparent biblical Church, where we are all free to correct the Pastor if he preaches something that's not Biblical.
He encourages all of us to check the scriptures to make sure what we hear being preached is exactly as the Bible says it is.
There are many cults and sects, calling themselves "Christian Churches" who preach extra Biblical material. They add and subtract things from the Bible which they think is not good for business. We preach the whole counsel of God, yes it is hard to hear and accept because it convict us all of our sins and it obligates us to live according to the Word of God which is very difficult.
Many Churches cater to the desires of sinful man, they make sinners comfortable in their sins, they are the apostate false Churches.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
The hardest folks to win to Christ are religious folks. They have a form of godliness but deny the power thereof.

The Roman Catholic church teaches that grace is obtained through the sacraments. Christ taught the grace is obtained by faith not through works. We receive grace not because we merit it but because we do not.

The Phaisees were very religious folks and rejected Jesus as Messiah because Jesus offended their sense of righteousness. Self righteousness is the most difficult hurdle for men to overcome. The Holy Spirit is able to convince even the hardest heart so we must simply remain faithful and teach the word of God to all men. We are not responsible for others to believe as only God can give them light to believe but we are responsible to present the gospel.

Some are saved in the Roman Catholic church just as some are saved in every church but the vast majority remain lost in thei

For the cause of Christ
Roger

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Can a person be a devout Roman Catholic and be a faithful follower of Christ at the same time.

Most of my family, and relatives are Roman Catholics. They all claim to be Christians as well but they reject much of the Gospel. They only accept the parts where God showed His love to the world by sending His Son to be crucified to atone for the sins of the whole world.

They don't believe in being born again and giving your life to the Lord, they believe Mary is the mediator and Jesus provided the sacrifice for salvation.

Some have said that a Roman Catholic cannot be a christian so they're not saved. I find that hard to accept, of the 1.5 billion I'm sure that many will be saved but how can we identify the ones that are worth our time to witness to.

I have invested a lot of my time sharing the Gospel with them and I have seen no fruit at all. Where do I draw the line and say, enough of casting pearls before the swine.

For me the key word is devout. The church, a church or any church does not have the power to save anyone...Ever. They do have the ability to create stumbling blocks to salvation or provide assistance to salvation as well. Being catholic was not a choice for most of us and we were taught a ritualistic form of worship. That if we cried out 'God help me!' He is deaf to sinners without being forgiven by a priest and receiving communion and praying before we commit the next sin. We were taught all other prayers must go through Mary.

That is nonsense! I was never taught to read the Bible either, other than reciting it like a prayer book. I/we were taught these things are sacred mysteries that nobody understands. And also going to a non-catholic church was considered a mortal sin deserving of hell and giving up the RCC was unforgivable and we'd/I'd be damned to hell for it. I seriously doubt if the people will be judged as a group, I think that salvation will be determined on a case by case basis by he who said, "forgive them father they know not what they do."

The RCC as an entity or a nation will most likely end in the lake of fire. Only God will decide. And that goes to all who knowingly preach false doctrines and know better,

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
This discussion needs a clear, mutually-accepted definition of "Christian" in order to have any value. :)

W

whatev

Can a person be a devout Roman Catholic and be a faithful follower of Christ at the same time.

Most of my family, and relatives are Roman Catholics. They all claim to be Christians as well but they reject much of the Gospel. They only accept the parts where God showed His love to the world by sending His Son to be crucified to atone for the sins of the whole world.

They don't believe in being born again and giving your life to the Lord, they believe Mary is the mediator and Jesus provided the sacrifice for salvation.

Some have said that a Roman Catholic cannot be a christian so they're not saved. I find that hard to accept, of the 1.5 billion I'm sure that many will be saved but how can we identify the ones that are worth our time to witness to.

I have invested a lot of my time sharing the Gospel with them and I have seen no fruit at all. Where do I draw the line and say, enough of casting pearls before the swine.
As for your titled question, what denomination were you when you were saved? If your family is Catholic, is it safe to assume you were too? And, if you were, how long did it take you from being saved to leaving that church? Is it safe to assume you didn't walk out the door immediately? In which case, it is equally as safe to assume you aren't the only one save as a member of that denomination.

I was too. I stayed in the church for a few years. John Calvin was saved and Catholic. Many people are saved in that denomination, just like many are saved from within any other denomination. Being a member of a denomination neither saves you, nor stops you from the Lord stepping in and saving you.

And, given you were just asking about where your brother is after he committed suicide, how is it even possible to think of your family as swine? Or to ever consider not trying to tell them the gospel?

Isn't it our duty, out of deep love for our family, to tell them of the love and mercy of the Lord?

The Lord saved you from your callus, hardened, rebellious heart into his love. Why would you want to go back to that old hardness just because family is the toughest to reach? Family isn't the toughest. We were. And he saved us. Don't ever harden your heart from family. Love them. HE invested. We benefit. Pass it on.

W

whatev

I was a baptized in the catholic faith and my country is full of catholics due to Spanish influence. But I accepted Jesus Christ when I was in high school. I often argue with catholic friends before but they were so hard to convince.
They're like everyone in that way too. Arguing doesn't save. The Lord saves.

Try asking for his words, his message, his way the next time that scenario starts. I think our effectiveness is directly related to the Lord working his will in us. Because no one wants to be saved, until we are saved, the unsaved will use every tactic in the book to avoid hearing. It's easy to fall for it. But when we are actively seeking the Lord's will, he will wisen us up to the tricks and give us the words that he wants them to hear.

For good examples on how to do that, Read the Gospel of John to see how Jesus didn't fall for the tricks. And Acts to see how Paul didn't fall for those tricks.

W

whatev

I'm not only picking on the Roman Catholic Church I should have mentioned that. The vast majority of "Christian Churches" have a man centered foundation. Their confession is not based on a sound Biblical foundation, the Seventh Day Adventist Church believes that Jesus was created and many other popular Churches have unbiblical beliefs.
Sadly I would say the number of Churches that preach the Word of God faithfully is relatively small
Most churches started with a God-centered foundation. Only years of relativism turns them into man-centered. And when the people see what's happening, they start a new denomination.

There are a lot more Christ=oriented churches out here than you seem to think.

CS1

May 23, 2012

yes

Latour

Jun 11, 2018
This discussion needs a clear, mutually-accepted definition of "Christian" in order to have any value. :)

Good point. But then that opens up other problems that requires a new thread.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Good point. But then that opens up other problems that requires a new thread.
I'd like to double down on those statements as I don't believe that their is any mutual agreement, just take baptisim for example, sprinkle or dunk? childhood or adult? required or not? do all baptized people speak in tongues or not? And on we can go. The Devil loves to hear us fight among ourselves.

Latour

Jun 11, 2018
I'd like to double down on those statements as I don't believe that their is any mutual agreement, just take baptisim for example, sprinkle or dunk? childhood or adult? required or not? do all baptized people speak in tongues or not? And on we can go. The Devil loves to hear us fight among ourselves.
I think we should try to be inclusive about such labels as Christian. Which people use a lot. But we could be more exclusive with names such as disciple, or saint. Which people do not use a lot (for obvious reasons).

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Now that's part of the point, many are so closed minded they do not believe that God can accept or overlook something that they cannot. They don't realize by doing that they are limiting (or trying to limit) Gods authority and lower him to our level.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I think we should try to be inclusive about such labels as Christian. Which people use a lot. But we could be more exclusive with names such as disciple, or saint. Which people do not use a lot (for obvious reasons).
So then we should include Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, SDA's, Christadelphians and those born in certain countries within the label "Christian".

Um, no. Jesus knows those who are His. If we are using the term to mean those who are saved and redeemed to eternal life, then it is by its very essence exclusive.

L

LaVieEnRose

Some are and some aren’t. Just like some Baptists are Christians and some are not, some Methodists are Christians, others are not, some Presbyterians, some Episcopalians, some Anglicans, some Pentecostals, some Seventh Day Adventists, some Lutherans, etc.

The religious label doesn’t matter. What matters is if a person believes in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus to save their souls.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Actually no. One cannot be devoted to Roman Catholicism and a faithful follower of Jesus Christ.

God is jealous and will have no other before Him.

A Roman Catholic can be saved but after salvation the contradictions of Romanism will compel him or her to depart from the group.

One of the great signs of rebellion in Israel was their incorporation of the heathen gods into their religious beliefs. It led to their being carried away into captivity for judgment from God.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
I agree if the word devoted is operative, If someone is devoted to any religion more than Christ they are not saved, yet.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Not really. And not in good conscience. The RCC is full of false teachings and false practices. So those who are truly saved come out of the Catholic Church.

If people have not read Fifty Years in the Church of Rome by Charles Chiniquy, they should. This is what he said: ...preaching the most monstrous doctrines as the gospel of truth...

W

whatev

The Holy Bible calls the Roman Catholic Church "the great harlot, who is drunk on the blood of saints".
Do you realize that the Vatican has murdered over 50 million Christian saints?, well you should know the truth about your organisation. The Book of Revelation describes the Catholic Church in great detail, it is Apostate and Antichrist.
The truth is coming out, check it out. Just google the facts about it and you will be shocked, and if you remain in it you will suffer Gods judgement with it.
The Roman Catholic Church hadn't even been formed yet, so your current church is teaching you that. Not the Bible.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
The Roman Catholic Church hadn't even been formed yet, so your current church is teaching you that. Not the Bible.
You may be right but for the wrong reasons.

Do you have an opinion of who the great harlot church may represent?

For the cause of Christ
Roger