Are Seminaries and Bible Colleges Biblical?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Nebuchadnezzer

Feb 8, 2019
Acts 15: What does the Council of Jerusalem tell us? Any takers?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
This thread is rife with ignorance and groundless suspicion.

Oh well, you can't fix stupid.

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
Nearly every liberal minister has been brainwashed in seminary. Which seminary one chooses is important.
I Agree, Dallas Theological Is #1 In Brainwashing The Unsuspecting :giggle:

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
In this way...

Romans 3:1-2 (NASB) Then what advantage has the Jew? Or what is the benefit of circumcision? Great in every respect. First of all, that they were entrusted with the oracles of God.

Romans 9:4-5 (NASB) who are Israelites, to whom belongs the adoption as sons, and the glory and the covenants and the giving of the Law and the temple service and the promises, whose are the fathers, and from whom is the Christ according to the flesh, who is over all, God blessed forever. Amen.

Next time you hear a Gentile claiming to be a prophet, don't believe him.
You quote Romans 9:4-5 but forgot verses 6-8

The verses below clearly shows (The Church) is the Israel of God, children of the promised seed

The children of the flesh (Ethnic Jews) these are not the children of God

Romans 9:6-8KJV
6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:
7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.
8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
A seminary, school of theology, theological seminary, or divinity school is an educational institution for educating students (sometimes called seminarians) in scripture, theology, generally to prepare them for ordination to serve as clergy, in academics, or in Christian ministry.
Correct. This concept was rooted in Roman Catholic Scholasticism, but was not rejected by the Reformers. Later, non-Reformed churches also adopted this idea. But the Bible does not teach this at all. Indeed, the rabbinical schools were at enmity with Christians. And today most seminaries are hotbeds of Theological Liberalism.

According to Scripture, every local church should also be a Bible Institute, where faithful men teach other faithful men and hand down the apostles' doctrine from generation to generation. The elders (plural) are to be appointed from within the local church. And they should have the various gifts for the ministry of the Word.

Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith; Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching; Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness. (Rom 12:6-8)

As we can see, these gifts would be among the elders, therefore a one-man ministry is excluded. Also Christian liberality is a spiritual gift. "Simplicity" means sincerity and generosity.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
God called me to seminary, twice! It was the best thing I have ever done. It enriched my understanding of the Bible, taught me biblical languages, and many tools for ministry.

No one taught me theology. We had a professor and an excellent text book, but the basic principle was that the prof would give out the basic forms of theology, then we would examine for ourselves to see what we believed, and then it could be confirmed by comparing to the theory, and more important, the Bible!

For example, we learned about the ideas about how we are saved, decide what we believe, and defend it.

Another big area is Eschatology, has 4 different patterns:
1. Historic Premillennialism
2. Postmillennialism
3. Amillennialism
4. Dispensationalist Premillennialism.

All of these are accepted as theological valid, although people do debate extensively which view the Bible supports better.

We all need to be reading our Bibles daily, month after month, year after year. The Holy Spirit leads us into truth, but a seminary which has profs of different backgrounds who tell us what they believe, and pray with us, that God will guide us. The idea is to help us learn hermeneutics, so we have the tools and skills to decide for ourselves what is God's truth. Rather than learning HOW or WHAT to believe, we learn to search and study the Bible, to compare & contrast what we believed.

I went to a Canadian Baptist Seminary. We had people from many denominations, people came because of the quality of the courses and the professors, who were all overseas missionaries for a least 10 years. They had incredible insight and training on how to share the gospel, in an honest and open matter.
We had Lutherans and Reformed, various Baptist conferences, Anglicans, Presbyterian and Mennonite. We also had one Charismatic, who was a good challenge for people who had never been exposed to the sign gifts. I missed one course, because I was recovering from surgery. Pastoral Ministries. They were learning how to baptize and the charismatic decided to speak in tongues and interpret themself. The whole seminary was still in an uproar, when I went on campus for another intensive, 6 months later.

He was not thrown out or chastised. Pastors need to be friends with people who have different theology, and why they are different, and the same. That school was no box of pre-prepared lessons, for sure.

Some seminaries teach "our way and only our way." I think those are the schools to avoid. Seminary teach critical thinking, over views and gives us deeper insight into the story of Jesus Christ. If you do feel God's calling, be very sure the seminary you pick is going to give you a complete education, not just narrow boundaries of one denomination. But, be even more careful not to go to some seminary, that is "woke" liberal, leftist. Again, they are very set in their ways, as well as having compromised with the world!

I'm so grateful God called me to seminary, and now theological school, to earn a PhD in disability theology. If you have not heard a call from God, I would suggest you wait till you have a call. Times when I had too much work, or struggled, it was the call that I heard from God, twice, and the leading of the Holy Spirit that helped me keep in persevering. And it was worth it. Because seminary didn't just shape my intellect, but also my mind and soul, including my emotions. God taught me so much! If you get the right seminary, it can be a huge addition to the transformation into the image of God-Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit and God the Father!

tribesman

Oct 13, 2011
The council of Trent was certainly needed in its day.

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
The council of Trent was certainly needed in its day.
Are you Catholic? :)

The council of Trent was largely formed by Roman Catholicism to stop Luther, His Bible, and the Protestant reformation

Mission21

Pathfinder
Mar 12, 2019
Interesting to note:
'Online Seminary' has been popular..for years.
----
The issue/question is..
- How can you..'train/equip' for ministry?
New models of 'training for Christian ministry' are being used..nowadays.
- In many places/countries.. around the world.
---
It seems that people focus too much..
- On 'pastoral ministry/pastor'
- There are other 'ministry gifts'..mentioned in NT.

Apr 26, 2021
It goes back to my original statement...

"In this way...

Romans 3:1-2 (NASB) Then what advantage has the Jew? Or what is the benefit of circumcision? Great in every respect. First of all, that they were entrusted with the oracles of God.

Romans 9:4-5 (NASB) who are Israelites, to whom belongs the adoption as sons, and the glory and the covenants and the giving of the Law and the temple service and the promises, whose are the fathers, and from whom is the Christ according to the flesh, who is over all, God blessed forever. Amen.

Next time you hear a Gentile claiming to be a prophet, don't believe him."

You brought up the Good Samaritan in response to my statement above, so I was only reminding you that Jesus was a Jew and those that wrote down Jesus story were Jews.
Perhaps I should ask, "Why did you bring up the Good Samaritan in response to my post?"
If your point is they were the first, I get that. I'm kind of aware Jesus was a Jew ... but, thanks for reminder. I just still don't see why you don't understand that gentiles are also part of Israel.

Also, the fact that you cited God's word makes you a prophet. So, I guess you're a Jew, according to your logic.

May 2, 2021
I was reflecting on that earlier quote "These things I have written to you concerning those who try to deceive you. But the anointing (Holy Spirit) which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him." (1 John 2:27)
It has been interesting to gain wisdom and understanding or being taught and learning by going through an experience first then when necessary to learn by means of the theory (A theory being a rational type of abstract thinking about a phenomenon or the results of such thinking). Has this been other people's experience of how you have become a wise student?

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
If your point is they were the first, I get that. I'm kind of aware Jesus was a Jew ... but, thanks for reminder. I just still don't see why you don't understand that gentiles are also part of Israel.

Also, the fact that you cited God's word makes you a prophet. So, I guess you're a Jew, according to your logic.
Dearie, new revelation about God came only to Abraham and his natural believing seed not to Prophet Bob on YouTube or the NAR crowd.

Romans 3:1-2 KJVS
[1] What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision? [2] Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God.

Do you know what an oracle is?

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
You quote Romans 9:4-5 but forgot verses 6-8

The verses below clearly shows (The Church) is the Israel of God, children of the promised seed

The children of the flesh (Ethnic Jews) these are not the children of God

6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:
7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.
8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.
A common mistake. All that is doing is comparing the natural unbelieving seed of Abraham with the natural believing seed. The true Jew is the latter. The Church is never mentioned in that context.

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
A common mistake. All that is doing is comparing the natural unbelieving seed of Abraham with the natural believing seed. The true Jew is the latter. The Church is never mentioned in that context.
A common mistake is letting dispensationalism in Zionism blind your eyes from the truth

Jesus Christ is the promised seed, and the Church that has received his finished work on Calvary are his children

Galatians 3:16KJV
16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
A common mistake is letting dispensationalism in Zionism blind your eyes from the truth

Jesus Christ is the promised seed, and the Church that has received his finished work on Calvary are his children
The Scriptures have led me to believe that God is not yet finished with the natural seed of Abraham.
Seminaries today seem to agree with your anti Zionist view, as well as most theological liberal seminaries Amillennialists, Preterism, and Islamists.