Are Seminaries and Bible Colleges Biblical?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Nebuchadnezzer

Feb 8, 2019
Correct. This concept was rooted in Roman Catholic Scholasticism, but was not rejected by the Reformers. Later, non-Reformed churches also adopted this idea. But the Bible does not teach this at all. Indeed, the rabbinical schools were at enmity with Christians. And today most seminaries are hotbeds of Theological Liberalism.

According to Scripture, every local church should also be a Bible Institute, where faithful men teach other faithful men and hand down the apostles' doctrine from generation to generation. The elders (plural) are to be appointed from within the local church. And they should have the various gifts for the ministry of the Word.

Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith; Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching; Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness. (Rom 12:6-8)

As we can see, these gifts would be among the elders, therefore a one-man ministry is excluded. Also Christian liberality is a spiritual gift. "Simplicity" means sincerity and generosity.

In this world are the church and seminary separate institutions or are they the same institution?

As far as I know the only institution that is authorized in the new testament is the church.

Nebuchadnezzer

Feb 8, 2019
Acts 15: What does the Council of Jerusalem tell us? Any takers?
This thread is rife with ignorance and groundless suspicion.

Oh well, you can't fix stupid.
So does anyone have comment on the Council of Jerusalem (Acts 15)?

I see a lot of great and wonderful things said at the Council of Jerusalem. But we can see that the Acts 15:5 we can see that the party of the Pharisees imparted influence at this council.

The result of the council is that they laid restrictions in addition to what God commanded on the church at Antioch. For example they required them to abstain from blood and the meat of strangled animals.

Man-made error and man-made restrictions were imparted by the council of Jerusalem.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
You example shows a sort of multiple choice. You are given four choices in which the theologians have allowed.
But what happens when all they allowed choices are all in error? Now they have you boxed in, contained if you will. And this is what man does. Man lays restrictions on top of what God laid. God liberates us, Man restricts us.

In this case man has restricted you to choose the following:
1. Historic Premillennialism
2. Postmillennialism
3. Amillennialism
4. Dispensationalist Premillennialism.

Now what if I choose none of the above? Then some man like Dino246 insults me, and other men give him thumbs up for insulting me.

Jeremiah 17:5
New International Version
This is what the LORD says: "Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who draws strength from mere flesh and whose heart turns away from the LORD.

Jeremiah 17:7
New International Version
"But blessed is the one who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him.
We must learn to take insults joyfully. We are in good company.

Matthew
5:11 Blessed are ye, when [men] shall revile you, and persecute [you], and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
5:12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great [is] your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Proverbs 27:5 NKJV - "Open rebuke is better Than love carefully concealed."

You aren't rebuking, rather, you are guilting and shaming. And, the way you do it is such a horrific representation of Christianity. I'm embarrassed by your hurtful words. No need to respond or reply. I'll never ascend to your strong personality.
Wait just a second, there... you' can make generalized assertions that impinge on my character, but when I do the same, it's "guilting", "shaming" and "a horrific representation of Christianity"? Seriously?

If calling a spade a spade embarrasses you, I would have to wonder which Jesus you're following.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Man-made error and man-made restrictions were imparted by the council of Jerusalem.
Man-made? Really?

"It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us..." (v. 28).

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
In this world are the church and seminary separate institutions or are they the same institution?

As far as I know the only institution that is authorized in the new testament is the church.
Is the Body of Christ an institution?

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Matthew 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

Nebuchadnezzer

Feb 8, 2019

I see a lot of great and wonderful things said at the Council of Jerusalem. But we can see that the Acts 15:5 we can see that the party of the Pharisees imparted influence at this council.

The result of the council is that they laid restrictions in addition to what God commanded on the church at Antioch. For example they required them to abstain from blood and the meat of strangled animals.

Now a seminary is a council of people so to speak. A the seminary council is made up of the most influential and intelligent people. And they come together to form a consensus similar to how a consensus was reached in the Council of Jerusalem (Acts 15). Then the leaders of the seminary write curriculum instead of a letter. They write courses and books and as well intentioned as they are they impart errors - same as the Council of Jerusalem.

And this is why have such frustration on the topic of eschatology. You can see the mess of frustration on eschatology here at this site!!

1 Corinthians 19-20
19 For it is written:
“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.”[c]
20 Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Matthew 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.
That verse came to mind for me also :)

And then I wondered: does it apply as well to 2 or 3 hundred? 2 or 3 thousand?

I don't see why not :D

Nebuchadnezzer

Feb 8, 2019
Man-made? Really?

"It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us..." (v. 28).
"It seemed good" is a BIG difference than "it was good".

The requirements to abstain from blood was error - therefore it was not from the Holy Spirit.

Furthermore , we see in history what has followed from the Council of Jerusalem.

"While not regarded as an ecumenical council, the council of Jerusalem set the tone and became the model of all future Church councils. The bishops and leaders of the Church are called together, issues debated and a decision process established. Moreover, at the first and all councils thereafter, the divine guidance of the Holy Spirit permeates the proceedings and thus all pronouncements and canons issued are without error."
https://www.osvnews.com/2020/09/11/understanding-the-council-of-jerusalem/

The catholic church uses the Council of Jerusalem (which imparted error) as a model for their erroneous councils.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
seminary (n.) mid-15c., "plot where plants are raised from seeds,"
from Latin seminarium "plant nursery, seed plot," figuratively,
"breeding ground," from seminarius "of seed," from semen
(genitive seminis) "seed" (from PIE root *sē- "to sow"). Meaning
"school for training priests" first recorded 1580s; commonly used
for any school (especially academies for young ladies) from 1580s to 1930s.

The Old English word seminary evokes a wild seed bed. It
shares a common root with the word seminal, the seed or
creative potent force that calls forth life from the fertility of soil.

:)

oyster67

May 24, 2014

Well there we have it then; only female plants should be allowed into seminaries.:):coffee:

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
2 Timothy 2:2 - "What things [plural] you have heard from me [/Paul] through [/by means of] many witnesses entrust to faithful people [G444 - anthropois] who will be able [/competent / sufficient / fit / ample / qualified] to teach others as well."

[see also vv.8,1]

oyster67

May 24, 2014

Would it be technically correct to say that women who have lots and lots of children are seminaries?

oyster67

May 24, 2014
I think I had better leave now:cautious:.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
"It seemed good" is a BIG difference than "it was good".
Well, Luke uses this exact term in Luke 1:3, "it seemed good [G1380] also to me, having been acquainted with all things carefully from the first, to write with method to you, most excellent Theophilus,"

... are we to gather from this, that the Holy Spirit did not have him to write what we find in the gospel of Luke (as written), and that this entire gospel account is Luke's mere "opinion" which we find written therein, just because he used this term? Perhaps it was not really/actually "good"??

:unsure: :confused::cautious:

lol

Nebuchadnezzer

Feb 8, 2019
What forbiddeth me from calling that a three-man seminary?
I would say a fundamental difference would be a bible study between fellow believers would be they teach and edify each other. You have a two-directional teaching and learning or a multidirectional teaching and learning. We all contribute.

But this is almost impossible today because the seminaries have divided us on just about every issue there is in the bible. Look at how the Council of Jerusalem (and Galatians 2) divided Paul and Barnabas.

A seminary is a top-down teaching and learning institution. Information, knowledge, teaching flows essentially in one direction. Top-down.
Then those who were students at the bottom at the seminary now go to the top of a church and they also teach in the style that they learned: top-down. The pastor teaches his congregation. But do those in the congregation teach the pastor? Most likely not. the pastor most likely goes outside the congregation to get his materials from those who are of a higher stature than he is. Top-down.

Seminary is a top-down structure.
Catholism is a top-down structure.

I imagine that a properly functioning church should be able to acquire all its knowledge and wisdom from within its members. Built up on the power of the Holy spirit. Defying the normal top-down learning processes of the world.

I imagine a properly functioning church should be all of the above:
1) top-down,
2) bottom-up,
and
3) side to side teaching, learning, and edifying.

Perhaps someone will now insult me by calling me a communist advocating for a eutopia.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
In this case man has restricted you to choose the following:
1. Historic Premillennialism
2. Postmillennialism
3. Amillennialism
4. Dispensationalist Premillennialism.

Now what if I choose none of the above?
I think @Angela53510 categories are general and not intended to be all encompassing.
If you choose 'none of the above' my next guess would be Preterism.