Are Sex Offenders a liability to Churches?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
I would say, since we are all sinners, or at least were enemies of god at one time, we could all be a liability. not just sex offenders..
 
Anyone who works with children needs to be vetted, and
the church is responsible for its members in that regard.
Too many priests got away with far too much for far too long.
Jesus did tell us to suffer the little children. He wants us to protect them.

I'm going to go a different angle real quick and say some people are labeled as sex offenders in the sense of doing something stupid such as urinating in public while drunk.. Are these people to be banned from the church?
 
Sex offenders ARE a liability, because they rarely stop re-offending. Pedophiles and rapists can't change their behaviors. That's why their required to register as sex offenders in the town they live in, and that's also why WE get to publicly know their name and where they live. Pedophiles and rapists are a danger to women and children. They should NOT be trusted around the general public and they SHOULD be monitored wherever they go. I don't give a crap if that violates their rights or not. You wanna be free? Quit raping women and playing with kids then. :/ Personally, I think this country needs to reinstate the firing squad and fire up Ole Sparky more often.
 
I'm going to go a different angle real quick and say some people are labeled as sex offenders in the sense of doing something stupid such as urinating in public while drunk.. Are these people to be banned from the church?

Well, if they take a pee in front of women or children, that's indecent exposure. They should at least be chastised by their church, most definitely.
 
Well, if they take a pee in front of women or children, that's indecent exposure. They should at least be chastised by their church, most definitely.

If a person wants to be in position in the church? That's a different story. But to say "you can not come here for service"? That's a slippery line.
 
Sex offenders ARE a liability, because they rarely stop re-offending. Pedophiles and rapists can't change their behaviors. That's why their required to register as sex offenders in the town they live in, and that's also why WE get to publicly know their name and where they live. Pedophiles and rapists are a danger to women and children. They should NOT be trusted around the general public and they SHOULD be monitored wherever they go. I don't give a crap if that violates their rights or not. You wanna be free? Quit raping women and playing with kids then. :/ Personally, I think this country needs to reinstate the firing squad and fire up Ole Sparky more often.

I guess you never bothered to read what I wrote about "6 years."
 
Sex offenders ARE a liability, because they rarely stop re-offending. Pedophiles and rapists can't change their behaviors. That's why their required to register as sex offenders in the town they live in, and that's also why WE get to publicly know their name and where they live. Pedophiles and rapists are a danger to women and children. They should NOT be trusted around the general public and they SHOULD be monitored wherever they go. I don't give a crap if that violates their rights or not. You wanna be free? Quit raping women and playing with kids then. :/ Personally, I think this country needs to reinstate the firing squad and fire up Ole Sparky more often.

This is what society and bad media feeds the public which is not true.

I have hands on experience and done prison ministry with these situations, and truth would surprise you that sex-offenders actually have the smallest percentage of reoffenders then other offenses.

LOVE, MERCY, FORGIVENESS

Lord our God showed theses 3 things to us, and we are commanded to show that same standard to others.
 
If a person wants to be in position in the church? That's a different story. But to say "you can not come here for service"? That's a slippery line.

jsr, you need to re-read my post. Nowhere did I say they can't go to church for service. I SAID they should be chastised BY the church.
 
I'm going to go a different angle real quick and say some people are labeled as sex offenders in the sense of doing something stupid such as urinating in public while drunk.. Are these people to be banned from the church?
I would say no. Though just yesterday I saw Scriptures against such.
https://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch/?quicksearch=piss&qs_version=KJV

Depending upon the seriousness of the offense, this may dog the OP quite mercilessly. If it is something like jsr has suggested, I would not even disclose. However, if it is much more serious, disclosure is the best course of action, even given the fact that rejection may be the initial reaction/result most of the time. I suggest the OP seeks out a 12 step program where they will find support and a venue for sharing and caring while they work through their issues.
 
Because churches have nurseries and children's classes. I would not be happy to have a sex offender around my children.
 
My little brother was accused, and had to register as a sex offender. It really hurt his life! Now knowing that not everybody knows him personally, I could see how this looks like. My brother got convicted of a crime, he did not commit, the so called victim even said he was not involved. It did not matter, as the DA had issues over a past case, the county was not able to investigate well (Try to say he had part in getting rid of the gun, declared innocent) over a murder. My brother spent years, trying to survive this...I remember even over hearing people talk about it, as they did not I was his sister. I'm all white, and he is half mexican. Than telling them, they knew nothing, especially after finding out their source..newspaper, media, gossip!
There should not be a mass hysteria over the word Sex-Offender, especially if we don't know what took place!
 
This is what society and bad media feeds the public which is not true.

I have hands on experience and done prison ministry with these situations, and truth would surprise you that sex-offenders actually have the smallest percentage of reoffenders then other offenses.

LOVE, MERCY, FORGIVENESS

Lord our God showed theses 3 things to us, and we are commanded to show that same standard to others.


I don't care. I'm talking about the ones who DO re-offend. They are the ones you gotta look out for.
 
6 years ago, I believe me and you debated some others on this topic just a few months ago!!!

No, not 6 years ago..... I meant what I posted concerning how if we killed every last sex offender we could find this afternoon.... within 6 years, the rate of sex offences, and the number of offenders, would be right back to what it is this very day.
 
I'm going to go a different angle real quick and say some people are labeled as sex offenders in the sense of doing something stupid such as urinating in public while drunk.. Are these people to be banned from the church?

No they should not be banned, if so everybody should be banned.

Everybody has sinned in one way or another, banning is only to be done after time when they have been part of the congregation for a while and still do not give up their sinful ways.

It is never to be a first step !!!
 
Because churches have nurseries and children's classes. I would not be happy to have a sex offender around my children.

Would they be around children if they were sitting in the sanctuary listening to the sermon, though? I mean, How different are they from the ones that abuse women. Or Rob stores. Or have killed people from duis Jesus says come as you are, and of a sex offender honestly wanted to change, he has that right cause Jesus died for him.
 
My little brother was accused, and had to register as a sex offender. It really hurt his life! Now knowing that not everybody knows him personally, I could see how this looks like. My brother got convicted of a crime, he did not commit, the so called victim even said he was not involved. It did not matter, as the DA had issues over a past case, the county was not able to investigate well (Try to say he had part in getting rid of the gun, declared innocent) over a murder. My brother spent years, trying to survive this...I remember even over hearing people talk about it, as they did not I was his sister. I'm all white, and he is half mexican. Than telling them, they knew nothing, especially after finding out their source..newspaper, media, gossip!
There should not be a mass hysteria over the word Sex-Offender, especially if we don't know what took place!
I am so sorry to hear that you and your family have suffered so unjustly. All the more reason to look forward to the coming of God's kingdom as a reality for all. Come Lord Jesus!
 
My little brother was accused, and had to register as a sex offender. It really hurt his life! Now knowing that not everybody knows him personally, I could see how this looks like. My brother got convicted of a crime, he did not commit, the so called victim even said he was not involved. It did not matter, as the DA had issues over a past case, the county was not able to investigate well (Try to say he had part in getting rid of the gun, declared innocent) over a murder. My brother spent years, trying to survive this...I remember even over hearing people talk about it, as they did not I was his sister. I'm all white, and he is half mexican. Than telling them, they knew nothing, especially after finding out their source..newspaper, media, gossip!
There should not be a mass hysteria over the word Sex-Offender, especially if we don't know what took place!

Gal, I have preached this for more than a quarter of a century. People are like sheep in more than one way.... most will believe anything they are told.... especially if it gives them the chance to scream out, "Crucify him!"
 
I don't care. I'm talking about the ones who DO re-offend. They are the ones you gotta look out for.

They should be monitored and held accountable, nobody is disagreeing with that.

But we are not allowed to seek out vengeance against them, that is to be left to the Lord.

Banning again is never to be used as a first step.