Are the Gospels written specifically to Jews only?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Churinga

Nov 12, 2018
The audience of the Gospels was centered on the lost sheep of the house of Israel and the preaching of the Kingdom was the message.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
The gospel of John says why its written, its written so that people may believe Jesus is the son of God and have life in His name.

Therefore its written to EVERYONE who reads it.

The gospel of Luke is written by Luke to a GENTILE MAN, Theophilus................ oops! (Book of Acts is also written to to this same gentile man, double oops!)

Luke 1:3 It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus,

TM19782017

Dec 15, 2018
Matthew 23

Paints a good view on this topic

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
All four gospels are for all of us, but Matthew was especially written for the Jews, Mark for the Romans, Luke for the Greeks and John for all the world.

The gospels were written for all the world, but only the Jews were supposed to obey the commandments of Jesus related to the law of Moses. After the death of the Lord on the cross there was a long transition period between the Old and the New Covenant, but eventually all Jews were freed from the Law.

Dec 28, 2016
All four gospels are for all of us, but Matthew was especially written for the Jews, Mark for the Romans, Luke for the Greeks and John for all the world.

The gospels were written for all the world, but only the Jews were supposed to obey the commandments of Jesus related to the law of Moses. After the death of the Lord on the cross there was a long transition period between the Old and the New Covenant, but eventually all Jews were freed from the Law.
So, there are at least 4 Gospels? Also, you're in grave error that only Jews are to obey Jesus in your above context, and wrong on several levels.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
The audience of the Gospels was centered on the lost sheep of the house of Israel and the preaching of the Kingdom was the message.
Hi Churinga, Jesus told us that He was sent to the lost sheep of Israel alone, yet He ministered to/taught Gentiles as well, both in Israel and in the Nations when He traveled there.

Salvation is to the Jew first, but also to the Greek .. Romans 1:16 cf John 4:7-42. The Gospels tell who us Jesus is and what He did, and what He taught, which certainly includes His teaching concerning salvation for all .. cf John 3:16, 5:24, so they were never intended to be for Israel only. And by the time the Gospels were written, Peter (and the other Apostles) already had an entirely new understanding of the Gentiles and the Nations regarding salvation .. Acts 10, and Paul had already turned from teaching the Jews alone and was bringing the light of the Lord's salvation to the Gentile world as well .. Acts 13:44-48.

Also, He sent His Apostles and Disciples to all, Jews and Greeks, as we see can also see from the last words that He spoke to us prior to His Ascension (and even later, concerning Paul .. Acts 9:15-16).

Matthew 28
19 “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,
20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."
Mark 16
15 And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation".
Acts 1
8 "You will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth.”

~Deut

Luke 2
25 There was a man in Jerusalem whose name was Simeon; and this man was righteous and devout, looking for the consolation of Israel; and the Holy Spirit was upon him.
26 And it had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not see death before he had seen the Lord’s Christ.
27 And he came in the Spirit into the temple; and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to carry out for Him the custom of the Law,
28 then he took Him into his arms, and blessed God, and said,
29 “Now Lord, You are releasing Your bond-servant to depart in peace,
According to Your word;
30 For my eyes have seen Your salvation,
31 Which You have prepared in the presence of all peoples,
32 A LIGHT OF REVELATION TO THE GENTILES,
And the glory of Your people Israel.”

Dec 28, 2016
The gospel of John says why its written, its written so that people may believe Jesus is the son of God and have life in His name.

Therefore its written to EVERYONE who reads it.

The gospel of Luke is written by Luke to a GENTILE MAN, Theophilus................ oops! (Book of Acts is also written to to this same gentile man, double oops!)

Luke 1:3 It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus,
Well, looks like Luke is only for Greek people. There must be dozens of Gospels! I'm kind of a dark-blond haired blue-eyed dude. Scottish by ancestry. Wonder what I'm supposed to obey???? I'll roll some dice and hope I get it right, my soul depends on it! Also, it's possible I could have some Greek DNA, maybe some Jewish too. Who knows? :p

L

LPT

I haven’t quite heard that before a long transition period between the NT and OT.??

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
It would appear that you have not read the Gospel of John. The Gospels are for all people, Jews and Gentiles. The first believers (outside the disciples) were DESPISED SAMARITANS according to the Gospel of John.

JOHN 4
1When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John,
2(Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples,)
3He left Judaea, and departed again into Galilee.
4And he must needs go through Samaria.
5Then cometh he to a city of Samaria, which is called Sychar, near to the parcel of ground that Jacob gave to his son Joseph.
6Now Jacob's well was there. Jesus therefore, being wearied with hisjourney, sat thus on the well: and it was about the sixth hour.
7There cometh a woman of Samaria to draw water: Jesus saith unto her,Give me to drink.
8(For his disciples were gone away unto the city to buy meat.)
9Then saith the woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans.
10Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.
11The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water?
12Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle?
13Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:
14But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
15The woman saith unto him, Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw.
16Jesus saith unto her, Go, call thy husband, and come hither.
17The woman answered and said, I have no husband. Jesus said unto her,Thou hast well said, I have no husband:
18For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly.
19The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet.
20Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.
21Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.
22Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.
23But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
24God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
25The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things.
26Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he.
27And upon this came his disciples, and marvelled that he talked with the woman: yet no man said, What seekest thou? or, Why talkest thou with her?
28The woman then left her waterpot, and went her way into the city, and saith to the men,
29Come, see a man, which told me all things that ever I did: is not this the Christ?
30Then they went out of the city, and came unto him.
31In the mean while his disciples prayed him, saying, Master, eat.
32But he said unto them, I have meat to eat that ye know not of.
33Therefore said the disciples one to another, Hath any man brought himought to eat?
34Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.
35Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest.
36And he that reapeth receiveth wages, and gathereth fruit unto life eternal: that both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together.
37And herein is that saying true, One soweth, and another reapeth.
38I sent you to reap that whereon ye bestowed no labour: other men laboured, and ye are entered into their labours.
39And many of the Samaritans of that city believed on him for the saying of the woman, which testified, He told me all that ever I did.

40So when the Samaritans were come unto him, they besought him that he would tarry with them: and he abode there two days.
41And many more believed because of his own word;

42And said unto the woman, Now we believe, not because of thy saying: for we have heard him ourselves, and know that this is indeed the Christ, the Saviour of the world.

So this OP is another example of what happens when people don't pay close attention to what is actually in the Gospels -- ALL FOUR GOSPELS.

Dec 28, 2016
I wonder which "Gospel" got termed "the everlasting Gospel" in Revelation 14:6? Maybe a few of "the others" (Galatians 1:8-10) got ditched or something? (Can't wait for the text to be wrested into one or the other of the varieties of false gospels people are wielding on this forum).

Churinga

Nov 12, 2018
Hi Churinga, Jesus told us that He was sent to the lost sheep of Israel alone, yet He ministered to/taught Gentiles as well, both in Israel and in the Nations when He traveled there.

Salvation is to the Jew first, but also to the Greek .. Romans 1:16 cf John 4:7-42. The Gospels tell who us Jesus is and what He did, and what He taught, which certainly includes His teaching concerning salvation for all .. cf John 3:16, 5:24, so they were never intended to be for Israel only. And by the time the Gospels were written, Peter (and the other Apostles) already had an entirely new understanding of the Gentiles and the Nations regarding salvation .. Acts 10, and Paul had already turned from teaching the Jews alone and was bringing the light of the Lord's salvation to the Gentile world as well .. Acts 13:44-48.

Also, He sent His Apostles and Disciples to all, Jews and Greeks, as we see can also see from the last words that He spoke to us prior to His Ascension (and even later, concerning Paul .. Acts 9:15-16).

Matthew 28
19 “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,
20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."
Mark 16
15 And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation".
Acts 1
8 "You will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth.”

~Deut

Luke 2
25 There was a man in Jerusalem whose name was Simeon; and this man was righteous and devout, looking for the consolation of Israel; and the Holy Spirit was upon him.
26 And it had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not see death before he had seen the Lord’s Christ.
27 And he came in the Spirit into the temple; and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to carry out for Him the custom of the Law,
28 then he took Him into his arms, and blessed God, and said,
29 “Now Lord, You are releasing Your bond-servant to depart in peace,
According to Your word;
30 For my eyes have seen Your salvation,
31 Which You have prepared in the presence of all peoples,
32 A LIGHT OF REVELATION TO THE GENTILES,
And the glory of Your people Israel.”
Do you accept that the preaching of the coming Kingdom was His message?

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
By the time the Gospels were written (40-60AD), many Gentiles were already part of the Church.
Also, many believe Theophilus, whom Luke addressed the Gospel of Luke and Acts to, was a Gentile.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
There is but one Gospel for all…..…….

Jan 12, 2019
If people define Old Testament as the Old covenant of the Law, and New Testament as the New covenant of Grace, the 4 Gospels are actually as OT as the rest of the OT.

In the 4 Gospels, Jesus was living under the Law, and sent only to those who are under the Law, which are the Jews, and preach obedience to the Law.

Unfortunately, I think there are too many churches in the world now who preach from the 4 Gospels so much that, when you point that out, they will get very upset.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
All must stress to themselves about the Gospel, this paramount truth, there is only ONE Gospel preached to all men, the Jew first and then the Greek.

Jesus gave us teh law in the first place. He is was and always will be perfect………..He is not a man that He should be prosecuted by anyone, not us, not the devil and not the Father.

Churinga

Nov 12, 2018
If people define Old Testament as the Old covenant of the Law, and New Testament as the New covenant of Grace, the 4 Gospels are actually as OT as the rest of the OT.

In the 4 Gospels, Jesus was living under the Law, and sent only to those who are under the Law, which are the Jews, and preach obedience to the Law.

Unfortunately, I think there are too many churches in the world now who preach from the 4 Gospels so much that, when you point that out, they will get very upset.
If i waited long enough i was sure someone actually knows what the Bible contains thank you

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Well no because the House of Israel meant all twelve tribes, not just the tribe of Judah. judah was only one tribe. The House of Judah at the time included Benjamin. There were two that split from Israel.

PAul said he was from the tribe of Benjamin. And he did preach the gospel to the Jews although many did not accept. Jesus wanted him to preach to the Gentiles as well. That was his specific commission.. By that time, the 12 disciples had gone theough the cities of Israel preaching the Kingdom to come. Paul was to go outside the borders of Israel and to the ends of the earth.

P

pottersclay

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

They were written for whoever😃😃😃😃