Are the Gospels written specifically to Jews only?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 12, 2019
John 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Isn't that what Christ is saying here? You have no ability in yourself to choose Life. Without Christ you are dead in the water.

If by total depravity you mean total inability to be sinless before God by your own choice and will then yes I believe in total depravity.
So if God placed before us blessings and curses in Deut 30, and tell us we have a choice, did he meant it? Take note that, under the Mosaic covenant then, health and finances are under the blessings, while sickness and poverty are under the curse.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
So if God placed before us blessings and curses in Deut 30, and tell us we have a choice, did he meant it? Take note that, under the Mosaic covenant then, health and finances are under the blessings, while sickness and poverty are under the curse.
Galatians 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

How does Paul know that they are cursed if they could just choose to be blessed instead?

Because Paul knows what I know. A person can't decide to be sinless before God by their own will and choice.

Maybe they think they can. Maybe they think they are. But they have way too high an opinion of their abilities and way too low an opinion of what the law says, if they do think those things.

Jan 12, 2019
Galatians 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

How does Paul know that they are cursed if they could just choose to be blessed instead?

Because Paul knows what I know. A person can't decide to be sinless before God by their own will and choice.

Maybe they think they can. Maybe they think they are. But they have way too high an opinion of their abilities and way too low an opinion of what the law says, if they do think those things.
We as Gentile Christians are not under the works of the law, we have been redeemed from the curse. We are now covered with the robe of righteousness.

I am talking about walking in divine health after you are saved, but you keep going back to salvation.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
What about the 2000+ yrs of unbelieving Jews?

You just say don't worry, Christ will come back, probably not for you but maybe for your grand-kids?

Wouldn't it be better to tell them that the Lord Jesus Christ is The Way, The Truth and The Life and there is No Way to the Father but by Him?

Instead of relying on some fantasy story misinterpreted by a carnal view of a pre-trib rapture?
After the resurrection and their rejection of their Messiah, it's no longer about a nation, but individual salvation through the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ for sins. The kingdom of heaven, the earthly kingdom, has been postponed. If a Jew wants eternal salvation, they must go through Jesus Christ. Christ is the end of the law for righteousness.

How do you reconcile the following passages?

Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

Reconcile the Matthew verse with what Paul states in the following:

Romans 16
25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,
26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:

Colossians 1
5 For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel;
6 Which is come unto you, as it is in all the world; and bringeth forth fruit, as it doth also in you, since the day ye heard of it, and knew the grace of God in truth:

23 If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

Has the end come?

JohnTalmid

Mar 17, 2017
Paul preached and was sent to the lost house of Israel among the nations.
Paul did not teach to just trust in Messiah to be saved. He taught to obey the Father's instructions for our sanctification and to trust in Messiah for our salvation.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
We as Gentile Christians are not under the works of the law, we have been redeemed from the curse. We are now covered with the robe of righteousness.

I am talking about walking in divine health after you are saved, but you keep going back to salvation.
I didn't mention salvation.

I mentioned the same thing you did about having the blessings and the curses set before you and what it entails to earn those blessings and curses.

Jan 12, 2019
I didn't mention salvation.

I mentioned the same thing you did about having the blessings and the curses set before you and what it entails to earn those blessings and curses.
Okay, I might have misunderstood what you were saying, when you mentioned the term "sinless", that to me is referring to righteousness.

So back to the original question. That Deut 30 passage, do you think God was telling us that we can choose the blessings or the curses? Or did he meant something else?

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Okay, I might have misunderstood what you were saying, when you mentioned the term "sinless", that to me is referring to righteousness.

So back to the original question. That Deut 30 passage, do you think God was telling us that we can choose the blessings or the curses? Or did he meant something else?
Yes. I did mention sinless. Yes, that is referring to righteousness.

What do you think was set before "us" in order to receive blessings or curses?

It was the 10 commandments. Can anyone choose to be Righteous by their work at the 10 commandments???

Jan 12, 2019
Yes. I did mention sinless. Yes, that is referring to righteousness.

What do you think was set before "us" in order to receive blessings or curses?

It was the 10 commandments. Can anyone choose to be Righteous by their work at the 10 commandments???
To me, when you put your faith in Jesus, you are saved. When you are saved, you are also righteous. Maybe you have a different belief there.

I interpret you as saying that you view that Deut passage to be only about the choice between righteousness by works or by faith in Jesus?

You don't think its also about a believer, who have already trusted Jesus for his righteousness, to choose between divine healing or financial prosperity vs sicknesses or poverty?

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
To me, when you put your faith in Jesus, you are saved. When you are saved, you are also righteous. Maybe you have a different belief there.
I believe the same. The Lord makes us Righteous by His Righteousness

I interpret you as saying that you view that Deut passage to be only about the choice between righteousness by works or by faith in Jesus?
Sort of.

Since there is no righteousness by works, as you maybe are beginning to see, there is NO CHOICE when God places the blessing and curses before you. And that is what people are supposed to see.

That it is only by faith in God that we are blessed. Not by your work at the law.

You don't think its also about a believer, who have already trusted Jesus for his righteousness, to choose between divine healing or financial prosperity vs sicknesses or poverty?
No.

There is nothing in the bible to indicate that that I have ever read or come across.

All of our Blessings are in the Lord Jesus Christ. None of our blessings come because we have worked for them or because we choose to make God bless us in a certain way.

Jan 12, 2019
No.

There is nothing in the bible to indicate that that I have ever read or come across.

All of our Blessings are in the Lord Jesus Christ. None of our blessings come because we have worked for them or because we choose to make God bless us in a certain way.
Actually, I don't see it as either. My view is this, God has already blessed us, by grace, thru Jesus's finished work on the cross. But whether we see it manifesting on Earth, healing or prosperity, depends on the renewal of our minds. As our mind gets more and more renewed, it becomes prosperous, and as it prosper, so will our physical self sees the same prosperity. 3 John 1:2.

But, yes I have met a number of Christians who expressed the view that "blessings" to them are attained only in heaven, aka eternal life. That is how they reconcile all these verses. Thus, to them, when they accept Christ, they can look forward to all these blessings, but only during eternal life in heaven.

But while they are living on this earth, they don't believe that they can receive those same blessings here on earth. They see life on this earth more like a never ending test on how faithful they can still be, while in the midst of sickness and poverty. That seems to be the view you are also holding.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Actually, I don't see it as either. My view is this, God has already blessed us, by grace, thru Jesus's finished work on the cross. But whether we see it manifesting on Earth, healing or prosperity, depends on the renewal of our minds. As our mind gets more and more renewed, it becomes prosperous, and as it prosper, so will our physical self sees the same prosperity. 3 John 1:2.

But, yes I have met a number of Christians who expressed the view that "blessings" to them are attained only in heaven, aka eternal life. That is how they reconcile all these verses. Thus, to them, when they accept Christ, they can look forward to all these blessings, but only during eternal life in heaven.

But while they are living on this earth, they don't believe that they can receive those same blessings here on earth. They see life on this earth more like a never ending test on how faithful they can still be, while in the midst of sickness and poverty. That seems to be the view you are also holding.
I believe God blesses us while living on this earth.

I just don't believe that the individual chooses how and when they will be blessed by God but rather God decides.

Sometimes poverty is your blessing. Sometimes sickness is your blessing. It sure doesn't seem like it at the time.

But there is nothing like a little poverty or sickness that will get you moving closer to God and asking for His Blessing. And it is the closeness to God that is the blessing and not always just the lifting of the sickness or the new prosperity.

Jul 23, 2018
Different people will interpret this parable differently. One popular interpretation is of course like what you are saying here.

Another interpretation is that the 10 virgins refer to the Jews only, and only half of them end up believing in Jesus before the rapture. The other half will have to face the Tribulation. I prefer this interpretation since this particular parable is found only in Matthew, which is written specifically to the Jews.

It also align well with Paul who mentioned that the entire Gentile Church will be raptured (1 Thessalonians 4:17). The idea that only half the church will be raptured will go against OSAS, which I believe in.
The bride is gentile as is depicted in Ruth

Jan 12, 2019
I believe God blesses us while living on this earth.

I just don't believe that the individual chooses how and when they will be blessed by God but rather God decides.

Sometimes poverty is your blessing. Sometimes sickness is your blessing. It sure doesn't seem like it at the time.

But there is nothing like a little poverty or sickness that will get you moving closer to God and asking for His Blessing. And it is the closeness to God that is the blessing and not always just the lifting of the sickness or the new prosperity.
Yeah, I think one of the greatest victory of the devil is to be able to somehow convince many Christians that poverty and sickness can be also be blessings from God, reversing what Deut 28 is teaching.

If you think sickness and poverty are from God, obviously you won't resist them or will only resist them halfheartedly. Nevertheless, I respect that decision as a choice they have made. Cheers :)

Jan 12, 2019
What is my reference to the book of Ruth?????
Hello?
You link the parable of the 10 virgins to the ENTIRE book of Ruth without any explanation whatsoever?

If you deemed that scripture backing, okay then. :)

Churinga

Nov 12, 2018
If we apply scripture to Gentiles when the audience is plainly Jews a classic example can be found when we take Acts 2:38 and apply it to Gentiles which happens on a regular basis, Peter preached his sermon to Jews using the OT and some of those Jews responded and acted accordingly at that time there were no Gentile converts.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
If we apply scripture to Gentiles when the audience is plainly Jews a classic example can be found when we take Acts 2:38 and apply it to Gentiles which happens on a regular basis, Peter preached his sermon to Jews using the OT and some of those Jews responded and acted accordingly at that time there were no Gentile converts.
You just don't get it.

1. Did Peter preach the Gospel? Absolutely
2. Did Peter preach repentance and faith towards Christ? Absolutely
3. Do sinners receive the Holy Spirit when they obey the Gospel? Absolutely
4. Are believers to be baptized immediately upon conversion? Absolutely
5. Are believers added to the Church when they receive Christ? Absolutely
6. Does all of the above apply equally to Jews and Gentiles? Absolutely

IT IS FALSE DOCTRINE TO CLAIM THAT THE GOSPELS WERE FOR THE JEWS ONLY.

Not just that. It is total nonsense.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018

Deut 30 has no reference to choosing eternal salvation, but choosing to serve God in obedience that will lead to a good and peaceful life while we live here on earth. Choosing curses or death is choosing not to fellowship with God in being obedient. When a child of God is not in fellowship with God he is considered to be dead to the fellowship of God, not literally dead.