Are we still suppose to keep all Ten Commandments?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

eternally-gratefull

Do not be deceived and lulled into a strong delusional hypnotic sleep about lawlessness, the church in apostasy is a reality. Look around to see how values systems in our lifetimes have deteriorated. Majority Christian democratic countries has in our generation start to allow the killing of babies in the womb, what God calls an abomination, Christian leaders have come to condone, man and his created science is exulted above God and his creation, etc., etc....

1 John 3 (New King James Version)
4Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness.

2 Thessalonians 2 (English Standard Version)
The Man of Lawlessness /
The Great Apostasy
1Now concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered together to him, we ask you, brothers,a 2not to be quickly shaken in mind or alarmed, either by a spirit or a spoken word, or a letter seeming to be from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come. 3Let no one deceive you in any way. For that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessnessb is revealed, the son of destruction,c 4who opposes and exalts himself against every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, proclaiming himself to be God. 5Do you not remember that when I was still with you I told you these things? 6And you know what is restraining him now so that he may be revealed in his time. 7For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work. Only he who now restrains it will do so until he is out of the way. 8And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will kill with the breath of his mouth and bring to nothing by the appearance of his coming. 9The coming of the lawless one is by the activity of Satan with all power and false signs and wonders, 10and with all wicked deception for those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. 11Therefore God sends them a strong delusion, so that they may believe what is false, 12in order that all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
Thank you

but this has absolutely nothing to do with what I said

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Keeping all 613 mitzvot is impossible. You are a false teacher.

Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law,
so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God.

Romans 3:19

But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. Galatians 5:18
It is God who gave those 613 commandments, so you are calling God a false teacher.

If those commandments are seen as a way to express love, getting past the physical part of them, they all express ways to love. If you explore the stoning rules the Lord gave, even that is an expression of the Lord that the Lord is against sin. From the beginning, God gave grace.

With the new covenant, we are given those commandments in our hearts, not through explaining God's ways with the physical that humans understand. They are now given through the love that accepting Christ in our hearts bring. So you are to see the heart in those laws, we are not to see the physical ways the heart is explained.

Atheist are under the law for salvation, Christians are under Christ for salvation.

Jun 11, 2020
Corban: "The Jew is still under this Law, but the Believer is not"

You say the Jew is still under the Law, but the Believer is not. What would you say about a Jewish Believer (being together with Gentile Ephraimites part of the commanded Israelites), to be under the Law or not? For instance the Sabbath being an eternal command (even until the return of Christ Yeshua to the earth following the great tribulation, and in the millennial Kingdom, Revelation 20, Ezekiel 37-48, after Christ Yeshua's return to earth) from God to be kept by Israelites (like Jews) throughout all their generations?

Leviticus 24 (New King James Version)
7And you shall put pure frankincense on each row, that it may be on the bread for a memorial, an offering made by fire to the Lord. 8Every Sabbath he shall set it in order before the Lord continually, being taken from the children of Israel by an everlasting covenant.

Matthew 24 (New King James Version)
20And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath. 21For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be. 22And unless those days were shortened, no flesh would be saved; but for the [c]elect’s sake those days will be shortened. 29“Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 30Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 31And He will send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they will gather together His [d]elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

Revelation 20 (New King James Version)
4And I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was committed to them. Then I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness to Jesus and for the word of God, who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received his mark on their foreheads or on their hands. And they lived and reigned with Christ for [a]a thousand years.

In the millennium Kingdom, starting in Revelation 20, Sabbaths are kept, as described in Ezekiel 37-48:

Ezekiel 46 (New King James Version)
3Likewise the people of the land shall worship at the entrance to this gateway before the Lord on the Sabbaths and the New Moons.
In your second paragraph you proposed an absurdity. Galatians 3:28 and Colossians 3:11 state categorically that in the New Man there are no Jews nor are there Gentiles. 2nd Corinthians 5:17 says that if any man be IN Christ, he is a New Creature and the old has passed. That would include ethnicity - confirming the two scriptures above. You may disagree, but based on these few verses my statement stands, and the Bible does not recognize anything else.

And if it stands, Israel ONLY keep the Sabbath during the Millennium.

Feb 28, 2016
IF, speaking for hub and myself:
IF we were NOT CONVICTED of our Saviour's Holy Commandments,
we would be a part of the (((convicts confinements))) = 'LOCKED-UPS-SYNDROME'!!!
this is just a 'warning' to those of you who THINK that you are 'exempt'!!!!!!!
'Fear God and Keep His Commandments, for this is the WHOLE DUTY of Man'...

'Great PEACE have they that Love Thy Law, and NOTHING shall OFFEND them'...

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Would you apply both 1 & 2's actions below as living in the spirit of the Law, or just 1 or 2, or none, and why?

1. Would keeping God's Sabbath, for instance, be loving God with all your heart, soul, strength and mind?
2. Would not murdering your neighbour, for instance, be loving your neighbour as thyself?
God has given me a want-to spirit about both.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
As impossible it is to keep the 613 mitzvot, just as impossible it is to love God with all your heart, mind, sole and strength, and your neighbour as yourself.
I hate to put this so bluntly, but... are you sure that you know what love is? I love my Lord and Saviour and Master and King, and not half heartedly. It is not always easy to love my neighbour, but I do. It would be impossible to do so without God's Spirit dwelling within, but God hath given this to all who are His.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I don’ see why we should argue about the ten commandments. They are given to us by the lord, all scripture is.

Scripture is so plainly clear. We were given the law written in stone, explained through physical symbols. Then we were given that same law, only written in our hearts.

The Lord told us that when we accept Him and His forgiveness we are given His spirit within us. Scripture is full of verses telling us about that spirit, and it is explained to us that there is love in all of it. So we are given the spirit of love unless we rebel against it.

Commandments given in stone and symbols could be followed without this spirit, but we are given those laws through the spirit, now. That spirit explains all the rituals, all the rules in stone, but do not change them.

Aug 14, 2019
I have a question. Let me preface.
Of course we are to keep the ten commandments. In as much as we reject them in that measure we reject our selves as God created us. God reveals man to himself. There are many Jewish Laws that are meant for particular circumstances that the Jewish people faced and caused difficulty in fulfilling their obligations to God's Law, These add on Laws are meant to be lifted when the difficulty no longer exists. These man made laws were not being lifted because some created profit. They are good while the difficulty exists, evil when it doesn't. Those are the traditions of men He called them out on. The ring of profiteers Jesus called "robbers". They are the laws that the lawyers should" lift a finger" to remove. The lawyers were among the robbers along with those who made money directly from the faithful Jews.

Those laws (traditions of men) need to be distinguished from the Laws of God. My question is: The 600 plus laws mentioned by the more scholarly posters, are the laws made for certain circumstances among those? Are those laws meant for certain times and circumstances only part of the 600 plus laws? The laws Jesus condemned since they caused unnecessary burdens if not removed when no longer needed.

Luke 11:45-45

45 One of the lawyers answered him, “Teacher, when you say these things, you insult us too.” 46 And he said, “Woe also to you lawyers! For you load people with burdens hard to bear, and you yourselves do not lift a finger to ease them. 47 Woe to you! For you build the tombs of the prophets whom your ancestors killed.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Jesus was the total fulfilment of the OT Law. We live in Christian Liberty now. We live according to the spirit of the Law, not the letter. The spirit of the Law is summed up in this...

Luke
10:27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
10:28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.
Do you mean that Christ fulfilled, as in we don't need the 119th psalm any more, or fulfilled as in now it is complete and perfect so we all can live with the Lord as is explained in Matt 27:52?

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Those laws (traditions of men) need to be distinguished from the Laws of God. My question is: The 600 plus laws mentioned by the more scholarly posters, are the laws made for certain circumstances among those? Are those laws meant for certain times and circumstances only part of the 600 plus laws? The laws Jesus condemned since they caused unnecessary burdens if not removed when no longer needed..
Those 613 laws were given under the old covenant, they use physical things that humans could understand to symbolize the spiritual.

Now the Lord communicates with us through the holy spirit, direct to our hearts that contain Christ. We are not to cut foreskin, physically, we are to belong to the lord in spirit and truth. We don't have to never mix fabric as a symbol of not mixing with those of false gods, we stay true to the Lord. And on and on.

Aug 14, 2019
Those 613 laws were given under the old covenant, they use physical things that humans could understand to symbolize the spiritual.

Now the Lord communicates with us through the holy spirit, direct to our hearts that contain Christ. We are not to cut foreskin, physically, we are to belong to the lord in spirit and truth. We don't have to never mix fabric as a symbol of not mixing with those of false gods, we stay true to the Lord. And on and on.
The laws that caused unnecessary burdens that Jesus expected the lawyers to "lift a finger" to remove, are they among the 613?

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
The laws that caused unnecessary burdens that Jesus expected the lawyers to "lift a finger" to remove, are they among the 613?
It depends on if you are reading them through the old covenant, as the physical that is symbolic of the law, or you are reading them as we are to read them today--through the new covenant that is to read them in spirit and truth. The old covenant tells that to cut foreskin is important as a sign you belong to the Lord, the new covenant says belonging to the lord is not in the cutting of skin but in spirit and truth. We are to go by the new covenant, we are to obey the command to be circumcised, but not the commandment to cut foreskin.

We are to listen to the Lord, knowing all scripture is of the Lord.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
It depends on if you are reading them through the old covenant, as the physical that is symbolic of the law, or you are reading them as we are to read them today--through the new covenant that is to read them in spirit and truth. The old covenant tells that to cut foreskin is important as a sign you belong to the Lord, the new covenant says belonging to the lord is not in the cutting of skin but in spirit and truth. We are to go by the new covenant, we are to obey the command to be circumcised, but not the commandment to cut foreskin.

Woah! There's nothing in the Ten Commandments about circumcision. But in the sermon on the mount if we can just love God with all of our hearts, minds and souls. + Love our neighbors as we love ourselves then we will be obedience to the Ten Commandments. It should be a no brainer.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Woah! There's nothing in the Ten Commandments about circumcision. But in the sermon on the mount if we can just love God with all of our hearts, minds and souls. + Love our neighbors as we love ourselves then we will be obedience to the Ten Commandments. It should be a no brainer.
The ten commandments are often given as physical ways to obey the law, the cutting of foreskin was given as a physical way to obey the law. We are to obey the ten commandments in spirit and truth, we are to obey circumcision in spirit and truth. It is only that you cannot love your neighbor and falsely accuse him, but you can cut foreskin and not belong to the Lord.

Aug 14, 2019

I don't believe Jesus expected lawyers to remove the sign of the covenant between God and Abraham. Thanks for responding BLik

S

SophieT

Do not be deceived and lulled into a strong delusional hypnotic sleep about lawlessness, the church in apostasy is a reality. Look around to see how values systems in our lifetimes have deteriorated. Majority Christian democratic countries has in our generation start to allow the killing of babies in the womb, what God calls an abomination, Christian leaders have come to condone, man and his created science is exulted above God and his creation, etc., etc....

1 John 3 (New King James Version)
4Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness.

2 Thessalonians 2 (English Standard Version)
The Man of Lawlessness /
The Great Apostasy
1Now concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered together to him, we ask you, brothers,a 2not to be quickly shaken in mind or alarmed, either by a spirit or a spoken word, or a letter seeming to be from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come. 3Let no one deceive you in any way. For that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessnessb is revealed, the son of destruction,c 4who opposes and exalts himself against every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, proclaiming himself to be God. 5Do you not remember that when I was still with you I told you these things? 6And you know what is restraining him now so that he may be revealed in his time. 7For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work. Only he who now restrains it will do so until he is out of the way. 8And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will kill with the breath of his mouth and bring to nothing by the appearance of his coming. 9The coming of the lawless one is by the activity of Satan with all power and false signs and wonders, 10and with all wicked deception for those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. 11Therefore God sends them a strong delusion, so that they may believe what is false, 12in order that all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

I wrote this in response to another person:

Salvation is always the same, there is no alternate route to God. Believers are then sealed with the Holy Spirit. I will say again, I have not ever come across anyone believing that you can still sin all you want. And I am well travelled.
And then you drive off a cliff with the ridiculous response above that has less than nothing to do with what I wrote. I guess you had way too much times on your hands. :cautious:

Feb 28, 2016
as i have stated several times in here, had i, as a teenager been keeping The Holy Commandments,
then i would not have followed my elders and stole what didn't belong to me - thus this act of
rebellion against one of the (10), put me in (((jail))) for a few days, much to my great embarrassment!!!
BUT,
the 'lesson' did not go un-heeded'!!!
Praise God, for He 'broke' me, down to my very core...
and NO, this wasn't the only time that He interrupted my 'rebelliousness' -
(Thank You Jesus)!!! for now, I know who I am and what my journey entails'...