Are WOMEN Pastors Biblical??

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
One of the only versions that says they "took him home" in Acts 18:26 is the NIV. Meanwhile, other versions like the ESV, KJV, NASB, and most others suggest Priscilla and Aquilla "took him [Apollo's] aside" after he was done preaching (meaning they were still in the synagogue contextually) and expounded upon Christ to him. You're cherry picking the version that fits your narrative.

Even if they were in a home setting then it wouldn't make a difference. There are not different rules for being within an assembly than there are for being outside of an assembly because in One Body in Christ we are already assembled.

Acts 2:17 absolutely talks about females 'speaking what God has revealed.' This is the very definition of the word prophesy. This means that there will be women speaking to people (men, women, and children) what is in the Bible. What did you think it meant?

Galatians 3:28 "...there is neither male not female..." meaning gender is irrelevant. If it's irrelevant to God then it should be irrelevant to us.

Yes some things are a matter of conscience. Some things that are sins for you may not necessarily be sins for me.

Romans 14:22-23
22Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth. 23And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.
Sorry but you are wrong. I have not cherry picked as I generally use the Greek Version.

They were in the synagogue. That is not the church. So it would make a difference if they were in a home. So, sorry you are wrong.

We are not talking about prophesy which is different to teaching so sorry but you are wrong.

Of course gender is irrelevant when it comes to salvation but we are not talkikng about salvation so sorry but you are wrong.

We are not talking about sin so sorry but you are wrong.

Mar 4, 2020
Sorry but you are wrong. I have not cherry picked as I generally use the Greek Version.

They were in the synagogue. That is not the church. So it would make a difference if they were in a home. So, sorry you are wrong.

We are not talking about prophesy which is different to teaching so sorry but you are wrong.

Of course gender is irrelevant when it comes to salvation but we are not talkikng about salvation so sorry but you are wrong.

We are not talking about sin so sorry but you are wrong.
Sorry, but no thanks. I'll just stick with what the Bible says.

Mar 25, 2020
Perhaps you need to go back to Genesis and review why Eve was made for Adam.

When Eve was made for Adam, the term used to describe her role was ezer kenegdo.

Re: Hebrew ezer kenegdo. In Genesis 2:18, the word "helpmeet" does not occur. The Hebrew expression ezer kenegdo appears, meaning "one who is the same as the other and who surrounds, protects, aids, helps, supports." There is no indication of inferiority or of a secondary position in an hierarchical separation of the male and female "spheres" of responsibility, authority, or social position.

The word ezer is used twice in the Old Testament to refer to the female and 14 times to refer to God.
For example, in the Psalms when David says, "The Lord is my Helper," he uses the word ezer.

Click

and click again.
I think you quoted the wrong person as saying those words. Those are mustaphadrink 's words. I was quoting his message in my reply and you took his words for mine. That's just so that no one mistakes me as using those words. And I agree with the reply. God gave woman as man's helper. Not as a slave or anywhere inferior to him in any way.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
It is not my intention to cause an argument or division among the faithful with that question just discussion in a Christian and civil manner.

I have always simply posted the Word of God as it is written. I post this question in order to properly attempt to teach the Word of God....PEROID!

1 Timothy 3:1-2.........
"This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work. 2A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach".

According to the written Word of God, a Pastor can only be a "Male/Man".

Now, before anyone argues that point or disagree with me, remember that the "One" who said..."In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" also was the "One" who said......
"if a "MAN" desire the office of a bishop".

The old Major did not have anything whatsoever to do with what Jesus Christ placed into the Word of God. The old Major just reads it and accepts it as it is written so your disagreements will be with Christ and not me!!!!

Now the question must be WHY would God do that?

1 Timothy 2:13-14 .....
"For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression."

It’s important to understand that Paul does not prohibit women from teaching in all contexts (Titus 2:3; Acts 18:25-26), only from teaching the Bible to men in the church.

Notice that Paul prohibits women from doing two distinct things.

Women may not teach the Bible to men in the church.
Women may not exercise authority over men in the church.

Teaching and exercising authority in the church are the two primary responsibilities of elders, pastors, or bishops. Thus, women are not to hold the office of pastor, but neither are they to perform these particular functions of a pastor over men in the church.

Again, for the inquisitive minds the question is still...WHY is that the case.

I will give you what I think is the reason behinds God's direction.

The creation order is the first reason Paul gives for prohibiting women from teaching or exercising authority in the church
Paul doesn’t ground his command in cultural considerations or a particular problem with the women in the Ephesian church. Rather, he grounds his command in creation. He says that the reason women are not to teach or exercise authority over men in the church is that....
“Adam was formed first, then Eve”. Paul means that God established Adam as the head and authority of his wife, Eve. God designed men to lead.

The nature of women is the second reason Paul gives for prohibiting them from teaching or exercising authority in the church.
Paul says, “Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor” (1 Tim 2:14). Paul is saying something about the natural constitution of men and women, that men as a class are naturally more fitted to teach and have authority in the church, but women are not.
Dr. Wayne Grudem says, “This is by far the most common viewpoint in the history of the interpretation of this passage” (Evangelical Feminism & Biblical Truth 70).
a makes dominion over a female is part of the curse

Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭3:16‬ ‭KJV‬‬

but the curse is removed

“There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:28‬ ‭KJV‬‬

and at the same time Paul wrote this

“In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But with good works.

Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.

But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.”
‭‭1 Timothy‬ ‭2:9-15‬ ‭

it seems there is a conflict in Paul’s thinking either one way or the other . On one hand he is saying there’s no difference in Christ between a male and female which takes us back to before the curse

“So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion...
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭1:27-28‬ ‭KJV‬‬

At this point it seems they are equals both made in his image both blessed and given dominion Adam being made first is part of Paul’s argument Eve was born of adams flesh but then later Paul explains that as woman was born of man in the beginning so man is now born from women’s flesh as she came from adams flesh So there is a unity and delendance on one another a
Man can’t exist without a woman and woman can’t exist without a man she came from him and then Cain came from her

he also at times makes the point “ I am saying this thing , not the lord but I say it “ he does this a couple times not here though he says “ I do not permit “ and then goves Timothy his reasoning

This is a good question I think I would listen to a woman if she was preaching a good message that was edifying , because I think the curse is gone in Christ and flesh doesn’t matter

but I could never tell
Anyone that is right , because of what Paul is explaining there . Good subject I think I’ll follow the posts and see what others think

good post for discussion I hope it stays peaceful

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
a makes dominion over a female is part of the curse

Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭3:16‬ ‭KJV‬‬

but the curse is removed

“There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:28‬ ‭KJV‬‬

and at the same time Paul wrote this

“In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But with good works.

Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.

But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.”
‭‭1 Timothy‬ ‭2:9-15‬ ‭

it seems there is a conflict in Paul’s thinking either one way or the other . On one hand he is saying there’s no difference in Christ between a male and female which takes us back to before the curse

“So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion...
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭1:27-28‬ ‭KJV‬‬

At this point it seems they are equals both made in his image both blessed and given dominion Adam being made first is part of Paul’s argument Eve was born of adams flesh but then later Paul explains that as woman was born of man in the beginning so man is now born from women’s flesh as she came from adams flesh So there is a unity and delendance on one another a
Man can’t exist without a woman and woman can’t exist without a man she came from him and then Cain came from her

he also at times makes the point “ I am saying this thing , not the lord but I say it “ he does this a couple times not here though he says “ I do not permit “ and then goves Timothy his reasoning

This is a good question I think I would listen to a woman if she was preaching a good message that was edifying , because I think the curse is gone in Christ and flesh doesn’t matter

but I could never tell
Anyone that is right , because of what Paul is explaining there . Good subject I think I’ll follow the posts and see what others think

good post for discussion I hope it stays peaceful
The curse is removed? I think you need to take the verses you posted and place them each within their proper context.

Start with the curse. We all still physically face death, do we not? We all still suffer, do we not? Is there no more sin?

The “go to”— the one so may like to post about “there is no male, female, Jew, bond, free, Greek.” I can assure you that the secular world loves to hear those words. They take them literally and have just passed a Federal law which says, that gender is whatever we wish it to be.

There is no obstacle to salvation- to having peace with God and receiving the peace of God. We all have access, no matter who we are. BUT, to use that verse to obliterate all distinctions is nonsense.

There are briars in my backyard-big ones, and there is sin in the world. Untill Jesus makes His final judgements upon the world, the curse is indeed ever present- and yet God has also provided the antidote-the solution, in the person of Jesus- The Christ.

Mar 4, 2020
Are you kidding me? Nobody does.
Nobody follows the Bible? I don't know about that. I give it a pretty good shot, but the Bible is not always a very simple to understand. There is the milk of the word (elementary teachings) and meat of the word (advances teachings.)

Even Peter said Paul was not always easy to understand, yet here we are trying to understand what Paul is talking about. I think a good start is to not attempt to redefine words like 'prophesy' in order to exclude women.

2 Peter 2:15-16
15And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; 16As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
The curse is removed? I think you need to take the verses you posted and place them each within their proper context.

Start with the curse. We all still physically face death, do we not? We all still suffer, do we not? Is there no more sin?

The “go to”— the one so may like to post about “there is no male, female, Jew, bond, free, Greek.” I can assure you that the secular world loves to hear those words. They take them literally and have just passed a Federal law which says, that gender is whatever we wish it to be.

There is no obstacle to salvation- to having peace with God and receiving the peace of God. We all have access, no matter who we are. BUT, to use that verse to obliterate all distinctions is nonsense.

There are briars in my backyard-big ones, and there is sin in the world. Untill Jesus makes His final judgements upon the world, the curse is indeed ever present- and yet God has also provided the antidote-the solution, in the person of Jesus- The Christ.
“Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:13‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The curse began here

“Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children;

and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it:

cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;

Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee;

and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;

In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭3:16-20‬ ‭KJV‬‬

that is all a result of transgression it’s not Gods will it was satans plan they followed . God warned them Satan told them the opposite and the curse was passed onto thier children

of Christ removes sin , removing the curse of the law which is death , my point was women’s subjection to a man is a result of the curse begat of sin , it wasn’t Gods plan but was a result of sin

again though I made the point that I myself would listen to a woman pastor of her message was sound , but I repeat I can’t tell Anyone that’s right because of what Paul wrote

My own belief is this matter would fall under this understanding of a person has an issue and thinks a woman is wrong to preach and should remain silent in church , they shouldn’t ever listen to a Woman pastor because of the doubt they have .

It would only lead to conflict inside their mind because they believe it’s not approved of God so it would be counter productive while if someone else thinks of it this way which is how I view it personally

“For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:26-28‬ ‭KJV‬‬

because I look at it this way as if the curse and subjection of a woman to a
Man was removed all things would be equal as this reads pretty clearly

In fact I find it interesting that Mary was the first to preach the good news of the gospel

“Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.”
‭‭John‬ ‭20:17‬ ‭KJV‬‬

but I’ve said several times I haven’t been at this as long as a lot of folks I’m just a guy who believes the Bible trying to learn more don’t have any dolusions about being some authority or teacher or prophet just a guy discussing in a discussion forum

I personally would attend a church with a female pastor depending on the message she preached and whether it was edifying to me , I don’t think God cares about race , gender , nationality , age , or how much of a sinner we used to be .

I think he cares about the things he taught in the gospel about living one another after his ways. But I do acknowledge what Paul wrote there and certainly again wouldn’t advise anyone else to omit his words .

I personally think it’s a personal matter of faith if we’re convicted we need to honor that

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
“Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:13‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The curse began here

“Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee. And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it:

cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field; In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return. And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.” ‭‭Genesis‬ ‭3:16-20‬ ‭KJV‬‬
What many people overlook is that God specifically cursed the serpent and the ground, but He did not "curse" the woman or the man. He did, however, tell them what the consequences of their actions would be. It baffles me that people don't think through the context of those statements and instead assume that they mean God gave men authority over women. They say nothing of the sort.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
What many people overlook is that God specifically cursed the serpent and the ground, but He did not "curse" the woman or the man. He did, however, tell them what the consequences of their actions would be. It baffles me that people don't think through the context of those statements and instead assume that they mean God gave men authority over women. They say nothing of the sort.
Yes it’s not mans exaltation above her , that is Gods design it is part of her curse for sin , or the result of her transgression. That placed her lower because she first transgressed and influenced Adam to transgress burn both fell because of the same deception

the serpent is cursed , the ground is cursed that curse continues on through scripture until it reaches this point

“The earth also is defiled under the inhabitants thereof; because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant. Therefore hath the curse devoured the earth, and they that dwell therein are desolate: therefore the inhabitants of the earth are burned, and few men left.”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭24:5-6‬ ‭KJV‬‬

the idea is the world
Is cursed and mankind is part of that curse being made from the earth we are under the curse

the gospel is about saving us from that curse upon creation because of sin many things death , war , pestilence, famine , drought , all types of curses are written from the first one it just continues the law of Moses golds
Several Curses being seen in the world

ultimately the culmination of the curse upon sin that began then for man sadly ends here for man

“Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭25:41‬ ‭KJV‬‬

we see the serpent there and also those who are yet cursed having rejected the only way out of the curse , to accept the gospel and be baptized into christs death which removes the curse from the Christian

“Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

...There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female:

for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:13-14, 28-29‬ ‭

a woman receives the spirit of Gods son in her heart also and so

“For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭8:14‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭4:6‬ ‭KJV‬‬

maybe it’s about seeing one another apart from the old things

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
www.101christiansocialnetwork.com
There seems to be some confusion.

The curse of the law, which Christ redeemed us from, did not and could not, come into force until after there was actually a law given. Ie Given to Moses by God, FOR ISRAEL.

The curse of the fall, has not been lifted. We have not been redeemed from it.

We STILL physically die, we STILL have pain in child birth, we STILL toil the land which STILL brings forth thorns etc.

However we are no longer under the law, and so any act that breaks it is not held against our charge. We are married to Christ, our old master is dead to us and its threats (and its blessings) no longer apply.

Now we who believe, live according to and by the power of God in us. Thus we are not rewarded for the works HE does in and through us, and we are equally not condemned when we fail to walk in the spirit at times, for we know He is faithful to forgive and casts our sins as far as the east is from the west etc.

He has indeed spiritually redeemed us from the law of sin (giving us freedom from its power) and death (the ultimate eternal, spiritual death).

But He has not redeemed us from the curse that was given in Genesis. Only death itself frees us from that.
We are still humans, born in fallen flesh.

The curse of the law really is speaking to jews anyway, for it is to them the law was given.
But, for all of us,, we are grafted onto Christ and his yoke is easy and his burden is light. Though we sin, we are no longer under the power (control) of it, and though we die, we shall live.

rstrats

Aug 28, 2011
justahumanbeing,
re: "'You must not tell me what to do,' Jesus replied."

I've looked at over 50 versions/translations and I don't see where the Messiah said that. What one do you have in mind?

re: "Whereas Mary, His mother tells Him to start his work. "

Again, I don't see where Mary says that.

Funkus

May 20, 2020
So all you who disagree with women pastors,
maybe you should take your complaint to God - why did the prophetess Huldah advise king Josiah when Jeremiah was available?
now you are stumbling in the dark and unable to reply. God has worked differently from what you expected and you risk being shamed. Will you repent or double-down? The danger for you is, Acts 7 - the pharisee's thought they were righteous but they worshipped Moloch!

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Probably about a hundred years ago. They have undermined the sovereignty of Gods word for a very long time.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
I went to a Pentecostal Church from when God saved me, for 15 years. I also took courses on their theological distinctives, and history.

I began to feel the excesses of the church were not for me, so I moved on to a Evangelical Free church, till we moved provinces, and I became convinced of Baptist doctrine.

However, at no point did I find any heresy with regards to any Protestant essentials- redemption through the incarnation, crucifixion and resurrection. My kids were Baptized and dedicated in Pentecostal churches. So were my husband and I. While I have differing views in soteriology, both views are within accepted orthodox doctrine. I disagree with their eschatology, but again, that is such a tricky topic, and I think everyone may be shocked at the real last things.

In other words, I may disagree with some Pentecostal doctrines, but it doesn't stop me from being a sister in Christ to all charismatics and Pentecostals. When I served as a chaplain in a Lutheran LTC, we discussed the main distinctive that was different was they believed infant baptism, I believer adult believer's baptism. Fortunately, in LTC, we never had to baptize infants, although we did baptize a 93 year old woman, which was really special.

For me, Word Faith is apostate, because it glorifies self and money. There is no real worship of God for who he is, but instead for what people can get. Mormons and JWs are certainly cults, worshipping a different Christ and preaching another gospel. They are utterly apostate, although some people do find Christ and leave those churches.

Roger, you do have all truth, I'm sorry to tell you. So before you throw stones at other Protestant groups, I suggest you be much more careful. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!

notuptome

May 17, 2013
I went to a Pentecostal Church from when God saved me, for 15 years. I also took courses on their theological distinctives, and history.

Roger, you do have all truth, I'm sorry to tell you. So before you throw stones at other Protestant groups, I suggest you be much more careful. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!
I fear that your seminary time is making you very ecumenical. We are told to come out from among them and be separate unto the Lord not embrace them and join in their errors. Touch not the unclean thing.

Let's promote peace and unity in the purity and holiness of Christ. We need sanctification through the teaching of God's word.

Avoid entanglement in the denominations for in their desire to be big they have forsaken the Spirit and the Truth. Love them but do not embrace their errors.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I fear that your seminary time is making you very ecumenical. We are told to come out from among them and be separate unto the Lord not embrace them and join in their errors. Touch not the unclean thing.

Let's promote peace and unity in the purity and holiness of Christ. We need sanctification through the teaching of God's word.

Avoid entanglement in the denominations for in their desire to be big they have forsaken the Spirit and the Truth. Love them but do not embrace their errors.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Don't patronize me! God is the one leading me on this new path. If Christians don't find commonalities and emphasize them, we are not doing God's will.

I do agree we are always to be wary of apostates and outright heresy. But evangelicalism is not supposed to stand alone! We are to work with everyone who is a child of God, not just those who fit into our little cult.

So beware, Roger that being so narrow minded and insular likely means you are in a cult!

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Traditions are interesting. We know from the first few Centuries (Church Father's era) only a few people of most populations could actually read. Generally, the only people who owned Bibles were the ones who could read them. And that led to even worse traditions.

I said that to say this, maybe the majority of women could not read in Paul's day. The Disciples show their knowledge of the Tanakh so Yiddish men probably were the educated ones (Paul is a great example of being educated in the Torah). Maybe part of Paul's statement here is based upon who can read God's Word vs who could not (back then).

Today, everyone can basically read enough to survive. Much different than 1,600 - 5,000 years ago.
You bring up an interesting point. But Paul does not indicate anything like that in his doctrinal declarations in this matter. The underlying premise is that women should not have authority over man. Paul elaborates upon this in no uncertain terms.......1 Tim 2:12 et.al.

I think any Church that promotes women pastors is rebellious and chafes against Gods settled order for the Church. It is cause for Church discipline as much as any other transgression.

As for me should I walk into a Church and see a woman pastor, I would make a U-turn at walk right back out.

I reluctantly left my old Church because the pastor was a closet amillennialist (he did everything to hide it but he eventually came out....accidentally), and could not properly exegete eschatology. What else can you do when you have to tell your wife that the pastors entire sermon was 100% wrong 100% of the time? Most people would think that is splitting hairs but it isn't for me. The matter forced me to leave actually.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Don't patronize me! God is the one leading me on this new path. If Christians don't find commonalities and emphasize them, we are not doing God's will.

I do agree we are always to be wary of apostates and outright heresy. But evangelicalism is not supposed to stand alone! We are to work with everyone who is a child of God, not just those who fit into our little cult.

So beware, Roger that being so narrow minded and insular likely means you are in a cult!
I've heard that argument many times and it has never proven true.

It is better to stand alone for Christ than to be entangled with denominations that deny Christ.

Scripture admonishes us to come out from among them and touch not the unclean thing, be separate unto the Lord. Not exactly a charge to find commonalities nor to compromise values in order to accommodate unbelief.

Keep your eyes on Jesus and your mind focused on Him.

For the cause of Christ
Roger