Are you saved? If Yes, What have you believed to be saved?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
I have showed you the gospel over and over. Asking Jesus into you heart is not the gospel according to the scriptures.
You have to believe the gospel given to Paul 1 Corinthians 15: 3,4.
To believe is to receive as in the context.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
I'm more like a child now than perhaps ever...He calls me son-child when I'm hurting. He's my Daddy.
“And because ye are sons,

God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts,

crying, Abba, Father.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭4:6‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
I like the idea of the word saved. the premise is to rescued from something for us our pitiful state of rebellion and sin a fallen state bbut being saved means it is not by our own doing it is by the work of someone else. when one knows they are saved they feel secure and filled with new hope they live life in a different way because they remember the danger and sense of hopelessness one who simply believes they are saved but are still in the snares of danger work to be saved and keep their security they must put in constant effort still believing they are saved but can fall into the snare of danger again never suspecting they were in danger to begin with still.

when you hear the gospel with your ears you can believe you are saved but little do you know you are still in the snares of the devil but when your heart sings the gospel and you live with a simple but profound bond with God you are more than saved you are the testimony of salvation and all the freedom that comes with it.
Not freedom to do as we please but the freedom of being saved the ease of simply loving God and enjoying being loved.

There is a beauty to simply being his child not concerning with if you follow this gospel or that one or if that doctrine is truth while this one isn't. Which in turn such a child like love with him will not simply teach you all truths but will write them on your heart
“There is a beauty to simply being his child not concerning with if you follow this gospel or that one or if that doctrine is truth while this one isn't.”

“Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God.

He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:”
‭‭2 John‬ ‭1:9-10‬ ‭

“In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭2:25-26‬ ‭KJV‬‬

seems as if coming to the truth is the only way to find repentance and escape satans snare

sort of seems extremely important if we believe the truth or not and obeying the gospel isn’t something we should concern ourselves with ?

“In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:”
‭‭2 Thessalonians‬ ‭1:8‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?”
‭‭1 Peter‬ ‭4:17‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭5:9‬ ‭KJV‬‬

I’m not sure we should think the truth isn’t important or what doctrine we accept doesn’t matter remember this part

Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭4:2-4‬ ‭

Because God loves us doesn’t mean that his words aren’t true he loves us so he’s told us ahead of time how to be saved and told us to believe him and be saved.

The truth and accepting him is actually the most important part of Christianity not following false doctrine also very important because it can lead us astray

just like the beginning. What God said is true what Satan then says later is a lie. The gospel is the truth and the doctrines which came after aren’t they are designed to take us away from the truth And if we aren’t careful can do that very thing

False doctrine cause people to believe against the truth

“But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.”
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭2:1-2‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The truth is very important if we have a deep bond with God that’s telling us his word , truth , Christs doctrine those things aren’t important to pay attention to something somewhere isn’t right in us most likely we don’t want to repent

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
“There is a beauty to simply being his child not concerning with if you follow this gospel or that one or if that doctrine is truth while this one isn't.”

“Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God.

He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:”
‭‭2 John‬ ‭1:9-10‬ ‭

“In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭2:25-26‬ ‭KJV‬‬

seems as if coming to the truth is the only way to find repentance and escape satans snare

sort of seems extremely important if we believe the truth or not and obeying the gospel isn’t something we should concern ourselves with ?

“In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:”
‭‭2 Thessalonians‬ ‭1:8‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?”
‭‭1 Peter‬ ‭4:17‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭5:9‬ ‭KJV‬‬

I’m not sure we should think the truth isn’t important or what doctrine we accept doesn’t matter remember this part

Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭4:2-4‬ ‭

Because God loves us doesn’t mean that his words aren’t true he loves us so he’s told us ahead of time how to be saved and told us to believe him and be saved.

The truth and accepting him is actually the most important part of Christianity not following false doctrine also very important because it can lead us astray

just like the beginning. What God said is true what Satan then says later is a lie. The gospel is the truth and the doctrines which came after aren’t they are designed to take us away from the truth And if we aren’t careful can do that very thing

False doctrine cause people to believe against the truth

“But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.”
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭2:1-2‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The truth is very important if we have a deep bond with God that’s telling us his word , truth , Christs doctrine those things aren’t important to pay attention to something somewhere isn’t right in us most likely we don’t want to repent
within the church there are hundreds of denominations within each denomination there are hundreds of doctrines within each doctrine there are hundreds of interpretations and views all believing they alone hold the truth.
My point was that sometimes it's best to keep things simple and just enjoy being with him

aeb2000

May 16, 2021
The scriptures say that we are saved by grace through faith

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

I have heard people say they are saved by grace, which is putting the cart before the horse.

Grace is the gift we get for believing the gospel.

It has to be "through faith" first.

Faith in what ?

Having believed the gospel I am saved and sealed.

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

The moment a sinner hears and believes Paul's gospel they are saved and sealed with the holy Spirit.

1Co 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
1Co 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

God has made it that simple.
What is the definition of "saved?" How does getting saved differ from receiving assurance of salvation?

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
within the church there are hundreds of denominations within each denomination there are hundreds of doctrines within each doctrine there are hundreds of interpretations and views all believing they alone hold the truth.
My point was that sometimes it's best to keep things simple and just enjoy being with him
yep that’s why Jesus was sent to earth to preach the truth and that’s why we’re earned by the apostles not to move from the truth of Christs doctrine what you’ve said there is a direct result of this

“For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭4:3-4‬ ‭

brother the fact that we have a bunch of differing denominations is proof that we’ve lost our way and become divided based solely on all those various fallacies people call doctrine

Gods true doctrine is what Jesus preached that’s why we need to put all
Our faith in him he’s the truth there aren’t several truths but one truth and many errors and fallacies many omissions made by those many teachers

The importance of understanding it’s Jesus words that are eternally true is this

“Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.”
‭‭John‬ ‭5:24‬ ‭KJV‬‬

but if we reject his words it’s the opposite

“He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

( But why ? )

For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak. And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.”
‭‭John‬ ‭12:48-50‬ ‭KJV‬‬

it’s because Jesus is the promosed messiah who would speak the truth to mankind it’s why he came to give us proper judgement

“Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.”
‭‭John‬ ‭18:37‬ ‭KJV‬‬

A child of God brother is born of the gospel and is going to conform to the gospel and walk as a son of God which the son of God has taught us to believe and walk in

Christs word is paramount and not straying into other doctrines should be clear the danger just look at Adam and Eve all Satan did was feed them a false doctrine

Your point is valid there are many beliefs inside Christianity but there’s only one truth that offers salvstion the truth given by Christ . Finally why would we ever go anywhere else to learn Gods word ?

“It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.”
‭‭John‬ ‭6:45‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The truth is defined by Jesus not teachers and denominations , denominations weren’t ever a design of God as false doctrines came in people split away from the truth and it caused divisions and wars

but the secret is what Jesus said is always going to be the truth it’s always going to save us it’s never going to change so every Christian can know the gospel it’s written and we don’t have to have people teach us differently just believe what’s there

“Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭24:35‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Everything will cease but for his word

“Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away:

But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.”
‭‭1 Peter‬ ‭1:23-25‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Ultimately salvstion was offered before any other teachers came about

“And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭16:15-16‬ ‭KJV‬‬

While those many doctrines do exist Christ already spoke forth the eternal truth and judgements so we can learn , repent and face judgement in remission of sins rather than having them imputed

O

Oblio

I died, He lives, and dwells inside of me
I am finally assured of eternity
Faithful and True is His name! Hallelujah!

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
I died, He lives, and dwells inside of me
I am finally assured of eternity
Faithful and True is His name! Hallelujah!
“And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭19:11‬ ‭

Amen there’s no condemnation if we cling to Jesus with our might

O

Oblio

It's wonderful when heaven opens up! He is beautiful! And He's close! Hallelujah!

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
The following verse,

1Jo 3:9, Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

May in fact be hyperbole; but if it is, it is exaggerating to make a point.

What point?

That saved people have made a 180-degree turn away from sin, death, hell, and satan towards righteousness life, heaven, and God.

Therefore, they are walking in a new direction.

As it is written,

Pro 4:18, But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.

As such, we who have been born again are walking in the opposite direction of sin.

How then shall we commit sin? For we are no longer walking in the direction of sin.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Ephesians 2:8-9 8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.
This is my understanding as well. It certainly is not a fable.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Thanks dear, so do saved people sin?
Saved people repent of sin, and God sees that if their repentance is from their heart it is as if they never sinned.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
[
This is my understanding as well. It certainly is not a fable.
How does a verse in Paul’s letter erase everything the Lord said ? That’s the fable when we quote a verse from Paul and explain that’s the real truth .

that verse of course is true it doesn’t contain any understanding though

Of one wants a little understanding about grace

“For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.”
‭‭Titus‬ ‭2:11-15‬ ‭KJV‬‬

it’s true we’re saved by grace. So any boasting we would do would have to be in the Lord. That doesn’t change anything else though or make anything else untrue it’s a sentance from a letter.

Where’s grace found ?

“For the law was given by Moses,

but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.”
‭‭John‬ ‭1:17‬ ‭

The law and the prophets were until John:

since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭16:16‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Grave is found in the truth of the gospel and what teaches us ?

“It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.”
‭‭John‬ ‭6:45‬ ‭KJV‬‬

there’s no grace found when we reject the word of Christ anything that removes his word from salvation is an absolute fable

Hann57

Jan 2, 2018
What is the definition of "saved?" How does getting saved differ from receiving assurance of salvation?
To be saved means to be saved. If you cannot understand a plain word in the English language I think maybe you should go get some grammar lessons. You certainly know where to place quotation and question inserts.

2Ti_2:23 But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.

Hann57

Jan 2, 2018
No, I am not Grace has done the work for our salvation, to be clearer. that is through faith. You may foolish statements of people you do not know what they are saying. Come off your high horse guy.
2Ti_2:23 But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
John 3:14-17 . . Just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the desert, so must
the Son of Man be lifted up, so that everyone who believes in him may have
eternal life. For God so loved the world that He gave His only son, so that
everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life.
For God did not send His son into the world to condemn the world, but that
the world might be saved through him.

» The incident to which Christ referred is located at Num 21:5-9.

Long story short: Moses' people became sick and tired of living in the desert
and eating manna all the time at every meal. But instead of courteously, and
diplomatically, petitioning their divine benefactor for tastier food and better
accommodations, they became hostile and confrontational.

In response to their insolence; God sent a swarm of deadly poisonous
snakes among them; which began striking people; and every strike was
100% fatal, no exceptions. In no time at all, much people of Israel died.
Then those not yet dead got nervous and appealed to Moses for help. In
reply; The Lord instructed Moses to construct a replica of the beasts and
hoist it up on a pole in plain view so that everyone dying from venom could
look to it for the cure.

Now the key issue here is that the replica, lifted up, was the only God-given
remedy for the people's terminal condition-- not purity, not sacrifices and
offerings, not tithing, not church attendance, not missionary work, not
confession, not holy days of obligation, not the Sabbath, not charity, not
good deeds, not good behavior, not baptism, not piety, not Bible study and
Sunday school, not catechism or yeshiva, not one's religion of choice, not
self denial and/or self control, not the so-called golden rule, not vows of
poverty and/or chastity, not the Ten Commandments, and not the Eucharist,
etc, etc, etc.

No, none of that would suffice: not even prayers. Moses' replica, lifted up,
was it; viz: it was all or nothing at all-- there was no other option. Whoever
failed to look to that replica, lifted up, for a cure died: no exceptions.

In other words then: Christ, lifted up on the cross to satisfy justice for the
sins of the world, is the only God-given option for protection from the second
death depicted at Rev 20:11-15. The default is terminal; no exceptions.
People relying upon religion and piety, instead of putting all their trust in
Christ's crucifixion, are dead men walking, no exceptions.

John 3:18 . .Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever
disbelieves stands condemned already
_

Dec 3, 2021

foolish and unlearned questions by definition of The Spirit in us guiding us to more and more truth and greater and greater understanding of all things that though were once quite dim to us at the beginning but become more and more bright the more we seek God and The Spirit.

Dec 3, 2021
John 3:14-17 . . Just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the desert, so must
the Son of Man be lifted up, so that everyone who believes in him may have
eternal life. For God so loved the world that He gave His only son, so that
everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life.
For God did not send His son into the world to condemn the world, but that
the world might be saved through him.

» The incident to which Christ referred is located at Num 21:5-9.

Long story short: Moses' people became sick and tired of living in the desert
and eating manna all the time at every meal. But instead of courteously, and
diplomatically, petitioning their divine benefactor for tastier food and better
accommodations, they became hostile and confrontational.

In response to their insolence; God sent a swarm of deadly poisonous
snakes among them; which began striking people; and every strike was
100% fatal, no exceptions. In no time at all, much people of Israel died.
Then those not yet dead got nervous and appealed to Moses for help. In
reply; The Lord instructed Moses to construct a replica of the beasts and
hoist it up on a pole in plain view so that everyone dying from venom could
look to it for the cure.

Now the key issue here is that the replica, lifted up, was the only God-given
remedy for the people's terminal condition-- not purity, not sacrifices and
offerings, not tithing, not church attendance, not missionary work, not
confession, not holy days of obligation, not the Sabbath, not charity, not
good deeds, not good behavior, not baptism, not piety, not Bible study and
Sunday school, not catechism or yeshiva, not one's religion of choice, not
self denial and/or self control, not the so-called golden rule, not vows of
poverty and/or chastity, not the Ten Commandments, and not the Eucharist,
etc, etc, etc.

No, none of that would suffice: not even prayers. Moses' replica, lifted up,
was it; viz: it was all or nothing at all-- there was no other option. Whoever
failed to look to that replica, lifted up, for a cure died: no exceptions.

In other words then: Christ, lifted up on the cross to satisfy justice for the
sins of the world, is the only God-given option for protection from the second
death depicted at Rev 20:11-15. The default is terminal; no exceptions.
People relying upon religion and piety, instead of putting all their trust in
Christ's crucifixion, are dead men walking, no exceptions.

John 3:18 . .Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever
disbelieves stands condemned already
_

milk will only sustain us so long. if we really are interested in truth - not getting the exact right teaching or doctrine for ourselves to believe, or to teach others - we will not stay believing what we believed at the start - as an end. the dim must give way to more and more light, or it will still be dim, an unknown by a doctrine or teaching believed in an exact way by us but unmoving towards light (truth).

O

Oblio

Saved people repent of sin, and God sees that if their repentance is from their heart it is as if they never sinned.
"Then I acknowledged my sin to You and did not hide my iniquity. I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD," and You forgave the guilt of my sin. Selah" - Psalm 32:5

Hann57

Jan 2, 2018
"Then I acknowledged my sin to You and did not hide my iniquity. I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD," and You forgave the guilt of my sin. Selah" - Psalm 32:5
So what have you repented of ? Your sins. You will never be none of His if you are trusting the flesh.
Rom_8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.